Sunday, March 1, 2009

Post-Mortem

Well, my wee bambinos, your presentations are drawing to a close. We have merely 3 or 4 more to go in each class, and then we can all breathe a great big collective sigh of relief. Til the next presenattion....but, we'll talk about that later.

In any case, there is an exercise that you will do quite regularly in college (hopefully), and that you should have done at some point in your high school experience thus far. It is called, the Post-Mortem, and what that means simply is that you discuss the various components of a project you just did and talk about what went well, what you found difficult, what you learned etc. I think I talked to you about this in class already, and it does work well in a discussion-based forum like a classroom, but this will give us a jumping off point.

First, what did you think of this research project? Would you have rather done the 8-10 page paper? Do you think you did a good job? What did you find to be the most difficult? The easiest? What did you learn? Why do you think I chose this project for you? What could I have done to make things easier for you? Were you happy with the topic you chose? Do you think you put as much effort into it as you should have? If not, how come? If yes, how do you know?
(RESPECTFUL ANSWERS/60pts)

39 comments:

JordanK said...

This research paper was a lot different than any other paper I’ve ever had to write or even explain a topic about. I liked this idea of us researching something of our choice and than explaining it in front of the class. I would have kept this technique rather than writing 8-10 pages of non-sense. I believe that I did an okay job dealing with my topic. I procrastinated a lot and it showed but even though I didn’t take the time to research thoroughly I still learned a lot of things. Obviously I knew this but it came more apparent to me; not everyone has the same outlook as me and this was one of the things that interested me most about my Depression topic, to see how people would react. The easiest part for me personally was talking in front of the class and even keeping everyone drawed in and entertained. Even though it was the easiest part to keep everyone entertained once I got up there, it was also the hardest when I was researching to find different facts that people would stay awake to and have comments on. I think you chose this project for us to get ready for the real world and to give us a break. There’s going to be multiple times in our lives when we need to speak in public so you helped us there with that and also at the same time saved us the time of typing 8 pages when we just talked about it in 10-15 minutes. Things were easy enough for all of us; nothing else could have been done. I was pretty happy with the topic I picked, it was easy for me to relate in different ways and also for my classmates since every single person feels depression. I didn’t put as much effort as I should have and I have been slacking lately, I need to get back on track. I think the reason I didn’t put as much effort in this one was because I procrastinated on getting all the info, than when It was crunch time I had tests to study for and get the info, I only had a little time.

michaelc said...

Overall I liked this research paper. I must admit though, I was totally against it for the longest time. At first, I thought to myself that I would much rather just write an 8-10 page paper but once the presentations started my mind was changed. I started to really like the idea. I am satisfied with the way my presentation went. One thing that surprised me is that I was too nervous or anything. I don't know if I seemed it but I definitely didn't feel it. The most difficult part to me was gathering my information and arranging it into the way I wanted my speech to go. I think the easiest part was presenting it. I feel that you chose this project to prepare us and give a little taste of what we will have to do in the near future. Whether it's a job interview, college interview, presentation for a college class, or anything else. I feel you were just trying to inform us a little and help us out. To make things easier I would say that you could of gave us a choice to use google reader or not. I know it was to make sure we were doing our work and not procrastinating but I am no too much of a fan of it to gather my research. I am perfectly fine with the topic I chose. I am really interested in it. As for how hard I worked, I feel that I definitely could have worked harder. There's always room for improvement. I felt as though I procrastinated a lot, which could have been some valuable time.

Nicole L said...

Well since I absolutely dread presenting in front of the class I hated this project AT FIRST. After weeks of complaining saying I would rather have taken an “F” or I would rather have done an 8-10 page paper, I realized that presenting is not as bad as I thought it was. Of course, I’m still nervous about it, but it only is helping me for the real world. Not only at college or at work will I need to present but pretty much you will always need this skill in life. Just think about at a wedding, or a funeral in a way you end up presenting a speech, whether it’s a goodbye speech, or a welcoming speech. In life you always have to communicate, and it’s not always just going to be having a conversation with a friend or family member, but maybe with a boss or teacher. I have always wanted to be a teacher and as stupid as this sounds but I never realized you are basically presenting a lesson plan to the class. Now that I know that I wanted to back out of being a teacher, but you know what no matter what profession you go into there will be a point in time in which you are going to have to present some sort of information in front of co-workers or maybe even strangers. Particularly, when students are assigned a big paper such as an 8-10 research paper I believe students tend to not do so well because they run out of information to say. I think if you were to have read over 200 8-10 research papers you would see the same thing in each paper; things repeated, false information just so the student reached the requirement, and just a bunch of chaos. When writing a paper all you have is words to express yourself, but when presenting to a call on a topic of your own choice, obviously your presenting yourself on something you are interested about so your body language, the way you speak, the way you pretty much “present” yourself helps people have a better understand of you and your topic compared to just reading a sheet of paper. Personally I think I did alright. I know when I was up there I felt like time was going by so fast I didn’t know what I was saying that’s why note cards helped me. I felt so sick and sweaty I just wanted to be done, but now that I am finished and I have seen other classmates go I think I am almost confident for the next time I go. The most difficult thing for me was just getting up in front of all my class mates and actually presenting, I felt like I couldn’t speak because I was so focused on what people were thinking; presenting is just a very scary process for me. For me the easiest was finding the info and actually knowing what I wanted to talk about, but actually compiling the information and talking about it was a bit harder then I expected. I learned no matter how confident everyone looks everyone is pretty much nervous, it’s natural. I learned to not wait until last minute to compile my whole speech, of course, I did research all spread over a month but I actually waited to do my note cards until last minute. I think you chose this project pretty much just to get us ready for life. Through out our lives we are going to have to most likely present a billion more times, so you were preparing us. I didn’t really like the Google reader, but that’s probably just because I couldn’t work the darn thing, but now that I look at the goggle reader I realize you wanted us to use it for life, not just for this research paper. I am happy that I chose my topic on serial killers because they fascinate me. Of course, I knew the basics of serial killers but not I know mostly everything about them from their childhood, love life, to their psychology. I think I should have read this book my mom gave me a long time ago on serial killers because it was filled with amazing lengthy information that may have made my project a little easier. Also I think I should have done my note cards a little more in advanced so when I was presenting the words could have just rolled of my tongue instead of having to even use the note cards. But overall I believe I did fairly, there is always room for improvement and hopefully my next speech will be ten times better!

JessL said...

This research project was very interesting and I mean that in a good way. It was different than the typical research paper that we have to do every year. I think talking about a subject a person had no idea about and presenting it to an audience is great. It helped us develop skills that we’ve probably have never exercised in our lives before. The paper would’ve been easier and think anyone would agree, but we’ve done those so many times and I think we know the jist of it by now. The presentation research project was cool, honestly. It was a lot of work and stuff, but I didn’t mind it what-so-ever. I know I’m not the best public speaker, but thanks to this project, I’m better than what I was before. I want to major in business and I know for a fact that I will most likely need public speaking skills. I think I did a good job, overall. Things just flew out of my mouth and I think it’s different and easier to do it in front of the class. I knew the audience and I didn’t feel that nervous because I could almost guess beforehand how everyone will react to my speech. I couldn’t tell you what the most difficult thing was for me. I felt comfortable, I learned new things, and it was a good experience for me. Getting some of the information was a little difficult, but nothing I couldn’t find out or fix. Probably the most difficult thing was speaking. I’ve learned that whenever I have to talk for a long time whether it’s presenting or telling my friends a story, I stutter a lot of my words and I like, suddenly have this speech impediment. I do talk kind of fast, my whole family does and most people can’t understand what words we are saying (my dad is the worst!). It was difficult to talk for ten minutes because I caught myself a few times for messing up and it just makes me frustrated and I talk fast. The easiest thing to do (which I didn’t find out until AFTER my presentation) was talking in front of the class. I felt comfortable and was able to make eye contact with everyone. I realized from my audience’s feedback that they were actually listening to me and it made me feel like I can do public speaking and it’s not so bad after all. If you make it seem like the worst thing in the world, then chances are, it will be the worst thing for you in the world. I learned that and I’m sure everyone else in the class could learn that, too. Gosh, I learned a lot from everyone’s speeches. From mine, because I did the most research on, I learned about the economy which is what I want to try studying and the crisis today is so essential to me when I graduate and go to college. I learned some cool things from everyone else’s projects and got to learn a little about what they are interested in so it brings our class together I think. I could only guess why you did this project. There is probably a much deeper reason for doing this project, but I think you did this to help us become better public speakers. It really is an essential skill for people to have. If you’re trying to project an idea to some CEO dudes or something, they will like or dislike your idea based on how well you present it and know your idea. The way you present yourself when you speak will get you far in life and success in whatever you want. By giving us this type of research project, we can practice our skills and then learn afterwards what we can do to improve. This project also helped us learn some things that we’ve always wanted to know about, hence the reason why our topics had to be something we know nothing about but what to know about. To make things easier for us with this project, the lazy side of me says don’t do the required 20 hours of reading. It was really tough to get that in. Especially for me, my bus comes at 6:00, and I don’t get home until 6-6:30 after crew practice. Then I have to eat dinner and drive or pick-up my other little siblings. So I guess on most days I have only from 7:00 pm until whenever to read. I’m in two AP classes so I always have homework and that gets in the way of reading. I was able to manage and get all the required hours in, and looking back at it now, I probably wouldn’t have gotten much information or done as well on my project if you didn’t require us to do those hours. So I don’t know what could really be done to make things easier without it effecting our grades. I was real happy about the topic I chose. I was in AP economics last year and so I already know what makes up the economy, but I was so confused on the current situation with this recession and I was thrilled to learn about it. I can prepare myself and I don’t know. I had fun with this topic. I think I put in a lot of effort in this project and I know this because I feel like I know my topic nearly 100% by now. If you told us that we weren’t aloud to use note cards, I would’ve done it. I didn’t really need my note cards, but my nerves and forgetting what to talk about were the only reasons why I did use them. Don’t listen to other people when they say this was a stupid project, because I guarantee this project improved people’s skills and helped them in the long run. They just don’t know it yet.

ash tharp said...

at first i didn't want to do this project because i hate presenting. i don't know why but i am comfortable to talk to people but when i get in front of an audience even if i know him i feel uncomfortable it real weird cause in groups i don't mind to be the leader i like it but standing in one spot with all the eyes on you it doesn't go well with me. But when i did the project it seemed easier then a paper even though i had to present because i have some issues with grammer that u need to help me with bunje. i am not sure how i did truely even though everyone told me that they really liked my speech,it hit them truly, and that i was good excelp the blushing; i felt that i didn't do that well. i am always my worse judge. the hardest part for me was standing in front of the class because it makes me forget my speech because i will know what i got to say perfectly in order but then it goes blank when i look out. on the other hand the easiest part is researching and find out intereswt fatcs and truely try to find out all the information i can so that i don't look like a fool and didn't do their work. i always feel like that you need to do your homeowrk i actually can't remeber when i have missed homework unless i was absent and then i make it up. i learned alot about ptsd and soldier that are dealing with it. but i learned more thing like about how the government is liars and that they mainly care about keeping theri ass's clean and safe not the little people but i mainly learned about pstd and it open my mind to how serious it actually is. i believe that you choose this so you can prepare us to speak in front of a crowd so that others can hear your mind. we need to do this all through our lives so you are trying to show us the easier way to get prepared for real life. at first i thought i was making a mistake i should of done a food topic but i am actually glad i choose my topic because i always want to learn new things so i realized that i have college and the rest of my life to learn food so when i have the free time i should learn other facts that i want to know. i always put in a hundred effort i feel at least i did. i study my butt off i learned as much information i could i read all the thing you told us to help us presentation i made my family and freinds listen to my speech, practice it all the time until my presentastion but then i choked a little but i got to admitt it was easier then all the other presentatin that i have done so maybe i can do better on the next one.

Vincent Q said...

The research project was a very different thing then what were use to. For the past 3 years around this time of the year we would have to write pages and pages on pointless papers that we never really learned anything from. This years was a lot different and I thought was a lot better. When Bunje first told us I was very afraid, I even told her I would rather do a 10 page paper. But after Bunje held our hand through the whole project i felt a lot more comfortable. Overall on this project I would say I did a good job. I didn’t put in as much work as I should have but my presentation was good so it made me look like I did more work then what I really did. The most difficult part was not running out of things to say. When I got up there I had at least 15 index card and I thought to myself “dam I’m gonna be up here all period” but after reality set it and I got threw them all too fast, I had to just think on my feet and start talking about other stuff about aids. The easiest part was making the presentation funny. I figured everyone was going to go up there and be very serious about their presentation and just make it boring, so when I up there right from the start I started making it funny. And for me making things funny is easy for me because I’m just clown. From this projected I learned many things, like that you should make sure your presentation is well rounded and covers the basic of the topic, make sure its funny, make sure u practice your presentation, and to just relax once your up there and just be yourself. I think Bunje chose this project to help us get comfortable with talking in front of big groups. In college many of us will need to speak in front of hundreds of people so starting now will get us ready for that. To make things easier Bunje could have not made us read a certain amount of hours on google reader. I like using other web sites to get my information and we shouldn’t be forced to use one particular one. In the end I think I did pick a good topic because its something that is very easy to talk about and its something serious that everyone she look out for. To be honest I don’t think I put enough effort, as I should have. I have been very busy lately and don’t have a lot of free time so I think that’s one of the reasons I didn’t put enough effort. Yes I also am lazy but I did put in a lot of effort so don’t think I didn’t Bunje =)!

Javahn B said...

First off, i want to start this blog with a "thank God im finished". You dont know how much stress this project was to me. With work, school and this project, my past couple of weeks was a living hell. But overall this was a good helpfull experience. This project showed alot of responsibility. It basically gave us priorities to handle. An 8-10 page paper would have actually been longer than this project. Also I dont think that I would of learned anything, along with everyone else. That would have been an easy access to the notorious "copy and paste". Personally, I think this rearch project was a big success. Overall, I think i did a good job. This was the most responsiblity i had on my shoulders in a while, and I handled this project very well if i should say so myself. Well, during this project i found out that using the "Google Reader" was the most difficult to accomplish. Everytime i tried to search a certain part of my topic, it would give me information that had nothing to do with the headline i typed in. That would cause me to look through that web site to find what i was talking about. And by that extra proccess taking place, it would cause more time, and thats one thing i didnt have (time). I can say that the easiest part was presenting the project. It's hard to believe after watching me talk with inconsistent word flow. I know i was stuttering, thats because i was so nervous. But after the first few minutes i guess it was ok. But i say that its the easiest because the whole project had taken weeks to accomplish, but the presentation only took 10-13 minutes. Through this whole exsperience i've learned to handle my buisness first, and that everyone isnt always going to be there for you, only you would be there for yourself. But as far as my topic, I've learned that sex addicys are some unusual individuals that need serious help. Sex addiction could be closely related to other addictions such as alcohol and drug addiction. Most importantly iI've learned that sex addict could be anyone thats a succes. Dont just look for a person that looks like thy're lonley or homeless. That was very helpful for the future when i have a family, I could watch the symptoms of the sex addict. I believe that everything you do for us is to get us prepared for college and life. Maybe this was to show us that life is all choices, we either would choose to do it or choose not to do it. You basically just left it up to us. Um, i dont think you could of done anything to make this project any easier. It was pretty much the easiest it was going to get. I was very happy with the topic i chose. I would say that i enjoy sex but i would announce myself as being a sex addict. So i decided to look for the information about sex addicts. Just to make sure i was what you wouyld call a Paraphilia.lol. Far as the effort i put into this project, i believe that i could put more effort into it. As i mentioned in the beginning "time" was very scarce. But i truly know that i could of used my "time" more wisely. Overall this project was one of the best projects i've ever done in my four years of high school.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the most interesting projects that I think I’ve ever had to do. My past years all my teachers have given us a format about the research paper that we had to write. One thing that I didn’t look forward to this year was the 8-10 paper in English class. As it came closer to the time of research time, you discussed with us that instead of a paper we would have to do a presentation. At first I did not like the idea. Mainly because I hate talking in front of people. Then I started thinking about the pros and cons and thought that a presentation would be much easier to do than a paper in which I would probably be repeating the same thing over and over again. When you told us to choose a topic I wasn’t sure what to choose. I wanted to choose something that I was interested in learning and something that caught my attention. So I chose abuse. I always wanted to know more about abuse and why people abuse others. When it came to the day of my presentation I was SOO nervous. The night before I was practicing in front of my sister and I was even getting nervous in front of her. She must have been sick of hearing me by the end of the night. But when I got up there that day I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I was going to be. I kind of liked it to be honest. It showed me that if I can talk about one topic for 10-12 minutes, I can do it for a longer period of time next time. In the real life there are going to be multiple times in which I will have to get up and talk to a group of people about something. You are helping us get use to it, and I know in the long run everyone is gonna come back and thank you. There will be many times that you will have to express yourself and say what you think. You are preparing us for the real world and in the real world there won’t be someone like you to guide us through it. So that’s why I think you chose to do a presentation. Overall, I think I did pretty well. I was just so nervous the whole time that I was hoping I wouldn’t forget everything and start stuttering or begin my nervous laugh as you say I have. The only thing I wish I would have done better is had more confidence in myself. Hopefully in the next presentation I will improve in the areas I lacked in this one.

Anonymous said...

To those who do not get intimidated easily by the looks of their peers, I'm most likely certain those students were smart enough to take advantage and step up their expressive thoughts and be unique. To others, this project was not the greatest experience and I probably would have done a better job on an 8-10 page paper. Obviously I did not do a good job in your opinion since my grade proved it. The most difficult part was probably getting up there and looking at your peers straight in the eyes in order to do this presentation and keeping their interest and attention with information that they probably don't even know/care about. It's a pretty tough situation which is why any type of public speaking would be horrible for me. Honest to god Bunje, I respect you a lot for getting us ready for college and whatnot because these obstacles you give us are what we have to overcome in order to get through college but this was definitely something I needed adjustment and help in which I really didn't get much of and I don't know if anyone else got any of it either but their presentation showed their efforts, I guess. I was pretty satisfied with my topic and I know I put effort into it.. there's always room for improvement but I know because you know about my situation and first-hand experiences and having any sort of relation to the topic is probably one of the best ways to know something really, in my opinion. Hopefully from this experience, I will do better next time if there is one.

Mia said...

At first when you spoke about this project, I felt that I had no chance in passing it, it all sounded very complicated. But after actually using Google reader and researching a way I knew I would learn something made everything a whole lot easier. I enjoyed this project more than writing an 8-10 page paper. To tell you the truth I was tired of those things, and I would never get anything out of them. But with this research project I actually learned something I didn’t know much about. And it was interesting because I choose what I wanted to research about, so yes I did like my topic. It took me a few weeks to actually figure out a direction I was headed but it was all worth it, I guess that just part of the progress. And I think that was the hardest part, actually finding something interesting to talk about that would appeal to everyone in the class and not only you. I think you choose this project because it showed us a different way of learning information and sharing it with others. It gave us the opportunity to look at information gathering in a different way other than just writing down all factual information in a boring 8-10 page paper. The easiest thing would have to have been researching on Google reader. It definitely made everything go smoother. I learned a lot more about sleeping and meditation than I already knew. I learned how to meditate like 3 times a day and it would help me sleep better. And since I actually wanted to learn more about it I was happy with it. It was interesting to me. And yes I do believe I put in as much effort as I should’ve. Well one reason I know is because of the grade I received, but the one reason I knew I was ready, was that before and after my speech/ talk I was calm and not nervous. I felt good after I was done so it just reassured me that I did everything I was supposed to do. This project overall was a new experience and I think in the long run it could benefit a lot of other students as well as a different option of a research project.

BlakeR said...

This research project was by far the best one I had to work on. Other projects its all about working on it and every day and basically due in two weeks, this one was more of a calm one and we had a whole lot of time to work on it and to be relaxed and not stress over it being done next week. This was WAY better than an 8-10 page paper because on the 10 page paper some people might run out of things to say so thats when they just start speaking nonsense and throw their whole paper down the drain. This is a topic we would have liked to talk about infront of people and were very passionate about it, 10 page paper we are given a topic that we could care less about. I do not think i did well on this speech, it is our first time and i learn from my mistakes so now i know how it should be done, i was kind of lazy when it came to working but when it HAD to be done is when i started to crack down on work. I think the most difficult part was the google reader and having to read for an certain amount of hours because i did read and it never showed up on my charts so i was very mad at it and gave up. I think the easiest part was when i was in the middle of my speech and everything just seemed normal, i thought about the day i was going to give my speech and how bad i was going to do, but it turned out to be fairly easy. I learned that even though we are given a lot of time to work on something we shouldn't push back on it till the last minute, we should break it down a little at a time to make it easier for us. To make things easier for us you could have just knocked off goggle reader and not make us read for certian hours, even though it did help, it also hurt. The topic i started with was changed three times, so by the third one i would say i was happy with it because it was finally something that i understood and i would like to talk about. I know i did not put enough effort into this project as i should have, I had all my information on me and was going to wait till monday to make my speech since i went on tuesday. But thank god Kirsten texted me and told me sunday that i went monday and i bucked down and got serious, even though i should have had it done way before.

Anonymous said...

When I first heard about this project I thought it was a lot better than doing a 6-8 page paper. Maybe because if i wrote 6-8 pages on one topic it might be a whole lot of crap in there. So this would be better than doing 6-8 pages of writing. I "don't" think i did a good job, I know I didn't do a good job. I got nervous doing my talk and i Couldn't look away from the card. The whole talk was difficult. Maybe because I changed my subject the day before. Another difficult part was getting those 20 hours. The easiest part of the presentation was the end when I was finally done with it. I guess I was happy with the 1st topic i chose but not completely. If i were to pick my last topic from the start I feel as though I could've done better. I also think I should have chose an argument type topic. I don't think I put everything I had into the project. I felt like i was in a handicapped situation....

shantab said...

When you first told us about this project, i thought it would be hell. literally. But after actually presenting my project i realized it wasnt as bad as i thought. Despite this, I would much rather have did the paper rather then this presentation. I just feel as though the paper would have been less stressful and I would have got a better grade since I think Im a better writer then talker.

I dont think i did a good job at all & I think if i wouldnt have went first I would have got a much better grade. The hardest part of this whole project was saying exactly what i was thinking. I new exactly what i wanted to say, but i just couldnt get it out. The easiest was the research. Google reader definitly deserves an A+.

By doing this project, i learned that there's other way's to voice what you think other then writting a stupid research paper. I think if you would of gave us more time it would have mad things alot easier.

I was happy with the topic i choose but the only problem was that there were so many diffrent versions of what actually happened. I dont think i took this project as seriously as i should of and i basically thought that i could just wing it which didnt work at all.

Anonymous said...

When I hear “post-mortem”, the first thing I think about is death. Actually, the definition that I found of that word is “an examination and dissection of a dead body to determine cause of death or the changes produced by disease.” That’s scary! And in the beginning this project was just as scary. I actually found myself to enjoy it (well at least more than I would if I had to an 8-10 page paper).

When first hearing about the project, it seemed like an overwhelming amount of work. However, I learned a lot of good organizational and time management skills along the way. Google Reader was the first major portion of what was being graded and after realizing that I should break the reading down to a daily amount, rather than waiting until the last night to read all 10 hours, it became a lot easier and less stressful. My topic was Dreams. I was happy with the topic that I chose; however trying to find enough information that pertained to my topic on Google Reader was one of the most difficult parts of the assignment. Even though I found a majority of my information outside of Google Reader, learning how to use the tool will help me immensely in college having such a broad range of information.

After completing my reading and collecting my information, it was time to put everything together for my 10 minute talk. 10 minutes! In the beginning this seemed so impossible. I had to come up with a way to ensure that what I was going to talk about could last 10 minutes and keep the attention of my classmates. After reviewing all of my information, I came up with the thesis that all mammals dream and the memory part of the brain is responsible for what they dream about. I decided that I would talk about the research that has been conducted to prove this, medical research about the brain, research that proves that animals dream, things that enhance the memory of dreams such as peppermint, what dreams mean, as well as other interesting facts that would keep my audience’s attention. After my information was in front of me, the easiest part of the assignment was picking out the main ideas that I wanted to talk about. After compiling everything that I was going to talk about, I put it in an online to organize my thoughts. I broke it up into about 5 major sections. I used this as a tool to pace myself while speaking. I knew that if I spent at least 2 minutes on every major topic, my 10 minute requirement would definitely be fulfilled.

I think I put as much effort that I should have into the project because I learned so much that I didn’t know, not only about my topic but about how to engage an audience. If I could change anything about my presentation, it would have been to bring my note cards to class everyday so that next time if I go earlier than my assigned day, I could be more organized with what I was talking about.

I think that you chose this project for us because the lessons that we learned while doing this will allow us to be more prepared for what we will experience in college and in life. If we can get up in front of a class and talk about something that no one knows about, but still found interesting, we know how to keep an audience. If we can keep an audience, we know how to talk to people, and that is really an important life lesson in itself. Knowing how to talk to people or ask for something will take you anywhere you want to go. I don’t really think you could of have done anything to make it easier for us because the steps that you provided us with allowed us to make our own judgments on how to get it done. Some people used different methods than others. Some people learned that their ways were better. Some people learned from their mistakes. It was all a learning process that in the end was a great learning tool that I think will definitely help everyone in the future. I think that it was a great assignment that beats a 8-10 page paper anyday!

williama said...

When the idea for the research project first came up I didn’t like it at all. This was because I really don’t like getting up in front of people and speaking. But as I thought about it I started to see that it wouldn’t be as hard as I was making it all up to be. I would not have wanted to do an 8-10 page paper. I think that when writing a paper you try to hard to sound smart and run out of things to say faster then if you were talking about it and explaining it. I think that it would have been much harder to get the information about my topic and make it last 8-10 pages. I know that I struggled on research papers that were 4-6 pages and making them last. I have not done my presentation yet so I don’t know how it will go. I am hoping that I will do a good job. I think the hardest thing will be getting up in front of the class and talking. The easiest part of the whole thing would have to be picking the topic and just reading into it. I learned different ways to research things like the use of Google reader. I think that you chose this project to show us there are different ways to do things and that you don’t always have to do what everyone else does. Also I think that it was to help prepare us for things in the future and have us do something that not everyone is comfortable with. I don’t think that there was much more you could have done. You did everything but write stuff out and talk in front of class for us. You were very helpful with everything. I’m happy with my topic choice. It is something that is close to me. I ride my bike everyday that I can so my topic was something that I was very familiar with. I would honestly have to say I didn’t put as much effort in as I should have. I know that I didn’t do all the hours that were asked of me on the Google reader.

kelso said...

Considering the fact i have not yet presented, I would rather do this 10 minute talk than write a 8 to 10 page paper. I thought about writung the paper instead at the start of this project, but as the presentations were coming to a close and I was watching everyone present I became more comfortable and i know my topic. Now thinking about it, writing that long research paper would have sucked.
As far as me doing a good job, well I can't really say, but I think i will do just fine. i know my topic and what I want to say. I can go on about it for hours so I'm not as worried about the time limit. I'm more worried that people won't understand my information as clearly as I want them to, but I'm willing to break it down for them in simple terms.
I think first staring off the presentation will be the most difficult. it seems like thats what many had trouble with, with the exception of some, Monet..funny presentation, very enlightening. I just don't want the start of my presentation to be boring, you know, but I don't want to my talk to sound like an essay either. I want to FLOW.
I think the hardest thing about this project was the goole reader really and how to use it. To make it a bit easier for some people though, it may be more comfortable if they got to sit on the stool. some people may be less nervous that way, I know I would.
I'm very happy with th topic I chose because for the most part I know what I'm talking about and I guess you could say I'm passionate about my topic. I don't know how many times I can recall arguing with someone over my topic..hehe. I'm also very interested in my topic too, so it's not like I was ever bord all the time.
As for effort in my presentation, I will sonn come to find out after we see how my 10 minute talk goes. I think I will be proud of myself.

jesskeating. said...

I definitely enjoyed giving a speech about a topic rather than writing a huge paper on it. Don’t get me wrong, I do love writing and I am good at it, at least I like to think so, but giving a speech to me is just do much easier and not as stressful work in the end. It is also easier to talk about something you are interested in or are passionate about and put emotion into it rather then trying to express that in a paper.

I think I did a decent job on my presentation. I think the most difficult for me was to try to not make my speech seem as if it were a lecture because I am one for hating lectures. I tried my best to not make it seem that way by adding in stories and situations that would help make the audience interested in what I was talking about. The easiest part was getting all of my information together because I already knew a majority of what I wanted to say, so finding the rest was not too hard at all. It was also easy when there is a lot of information out there about eating disorders.

I didn’t really learn too much new information since as I stated before, I already knew the majority of everything in my speech. I did learn that people are more unaware of the side effects and about eating disorders in general than I thought. I think you gave us this project because yes, we already know how to write papers from years and years of boring school, but we all know we suck doing research, let alone how to do it right. It also gave us a chance to branch off, as you always like us to, and explore something that we are interested in or are very passionate about and help share that with other people. I just thought the hours of research provided were a little overwhelming especially since I don’t always have a lot of time during the week because I work and I am not much of a crammer.

I was happy with the topic I chose for the most part because I do take eating disorders very seriously and on a different level that Im sure more people do. I do regret choosing a topic that Ive always been interested in, but do not know much about because that way, it would have gave me the opportunity to learn about it and teach the audience about it. I did put a lot of effort into this paper, but not as much as I think most people did seeing I did have an easy topic for me. I guess it could have been seen as an easy way out, but that’s not how I saw it. I always think I could have done better on everything and theres nothing that’ll change that. Im sure if I spent more time working on my speech and just everything in general instead of procrastinating, I would have think I did better.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I liked the idea of doing a talk on something instead of having to crank out a 8-10 research paper. Now at first, I was a bit nervous about the whole 10 minutes, but that quickly went away. This project gave us the freedom to research what we're interested in and share it with others. Basically, we learned more about others this ways. I cringe at the thought of writing a paper. Research papers are something that I do not like to do at all, that's why I was relieved when we wouldn't be doing one. Personally, I think that I did an ok job of doing this project. I highly doubt that I talked for ten minutes because my mouth got tired of talking. The most difficult part for me was trying to organize what I wanted to say in a chronological order so that everything flowed well. Also the fact that I was slowly recovering from having all of my wisdom teeth out didn't help either. What I had learned was very interesting. I learned more about myself doing the process and the psychological aspect on what makes people want to shop. The reason I think you chose us to give a talk was to help us become more comfortable with public speaking. Also, I think it was to help us learn how to research effectively and to get us ready for college and the real world. I don't think that you could have made it any easier for us to do this project. You had explained it and broke it down to a science. Watching TED talks helped a lot too. I was very happy with the topic I chose because it is a topic that I and almost every girl loves. To me, it felt like I put a hundred percent into this project. I made sure I gave examples, facts, engaged the audience, and so forth and so on.

Anonymous said...

To be perfectly honest I absolutely hated and despised everything about the research project assigned to us, until I found a topic that I actually enjoyed and wanted to learn about. When we first started “The Talk”, two words that seemed to haunt my every thought, I chose to do my presentation on how stars are formed. Well after much time spent on google reader and after long frustrating hours spent reading articles that made no sense to me I made the decision to change my topic! Even though I had to start from scratch half way into the project I realized that I wouldn’t be able to keep a classroom full of my peers interested in what I’m saying by talking about a topic that I myself couldn’t even understand. I needed to talk about something that would intrigue my classmate’s minds as well as mine and I also wanted to walk away from this presentation with new knowledge and know that I actually learned something. For once I actually wanted to gain something from a research project. It took me a while but I finally stumbled upon the theory of illusions. It was like a light bulb went off inside my head; so many questions began to run threw my mind I wanted to know everything there was to know about illusions! After picking a topic that I was really interested in and understood, everything else just seemed to fall into place, the research became easier and I became excited about “The Talk.” The words seemed to just fall right out of my mouth and flow onto 25 note cards that I would use to present my project. So I had everything ready, I knew what I was going to say and I knew everything there was to know about illusions, but there was only one problem. Presenting. It was easy presenting my “talk” in front of my mom or my boyfriend because I’m comfortable with them but for some reason I couldn’t stomach the idea of being rejected by my classmates. I think a lot of peoples biggest fear is talking in front of a room full of people. Your nerves are shot; your heart feels like its going to come out of your chest; fear just engulfs your entire body. Although for some that fear only lasts for the first couple minutes but for others you can’t get over that fear and it simply becomes your downfall and you find yourself struggling just to get through the presentation. I didn’t want to be one of those people who let that fear consume them and in order to conquer that fear, I learned, you must practice, practice, practice. I found that the more I practiced my “talk” the more comfortable I became with the information. I practiced until I practically memorized the whole thing, I knew if I didn’t know what I was talking about or at least look like I knew what I was talking I would look like a fool. I wasn’t going to let that happen! Practicing is what kept me from looking like a fool. In my opinion I think I did well on “The Talk” I tried my best to appeal to the ethos, pathos, and logos of the audience but most of all I had fun. If you can’t have fun with a project like this you kind of don’t stand a chance. In the end I learned that an audience thrives off your energy and if you can’t own what you’re saying and have fun with it you’ll lose them within the first two minutes. All in all I would say I enjoyed “The Talk” it was a wonderful learning experience and I definitely learned way more than I would writing an 8 to 10 page paper. Even though I had my doubts I have to say this was a well thought out idea and I wouldn’t change a thing about it, Except for google reader it kind of gave me a headache. This was one of the best research projects I’ve done in a while. Thanks Bunje!

melissa gu said...

I thought the research project was okay. I would have rather have done a research paper to expand my writing skills, but it was good for me to try something new and learn how to speak in front of a crowd. I think that if I had some more time to practice speaking in front of the class I would have been more comfortable. Because of my nerves I think I did really bad, I was fine before I went up but when I got to the podium I started to forget everything I researched. The most difficult obstacle I had to go through was forgetting my fear of speaking in front of the class and the easiest part was when I had to research. From this project I learned a lot about fashion’s history and from doing the project I learned that you have to skim through some things in order to be on time. You chose this project because you wanted us to be comfortable speaking in front of the class and you wanted us to be able research well. I think the project would have been easier if we used less of the Google Reader and more book research. Even though I had less to carry I think books are somewhat easier to research in than the internet. The topic that I chose was useful for me to learn and I think for everyone because now I can have more respect for older styles. Also it was fun learning about clothes that were building blocks for what we wear now. I defiantly put my all into this project; it was somewhat easy for me to research my topic because I am so interested in the culture of the past.

Kirsten A said...

Well since I have not presented yet I don’t know how things are going to go when I am standing in front of the class but I would most certainly take this project over writing an 8 to 10 page paper any day. I felt that it really made us research and not just look stuff up for two minutes copy and paste something and be done. We really have to know what we are talking about when we are up there. Because if we don’t it will only hurt ourselves in the end when we freeze in front of the entire class. No, I would not have rather done the paper. The paper really doesn’t make you think about what you are doing. Since I have not presented yet I don’t know how well I will do but on the research end of things I think I have done pretty well. I spent a lot of time looking things up and putting different ideas together for my presentation. The most difficult thing would have to be how to start my speech I was stuck on many different ideas also I had a lot of different things I could have talked about so narrowing down what I was going to talk about. The easiest would have to be Google reader since all we had to do was research which we had to do anyway if we wanted to do well. I learned a lot about why people are so judgmental. I think you chose this project for us so that we would be able to really get something out of this we all know how to write a paper but many of us have not done much with research or the proper way to research or public speaking. Both are skills that we will most definitely be using in college. I think you did everything you could the project was very easy to understand. Yes. I really enjoyed my topic. I think I put in an average amount of effort into it there could have been a little but more effort put into to it. But, overall I really liked this project.

monet tb said...

i think this research paper was easier "in a way" than the traditional one that we usually have 2 do. it was very intresting and challenge in many ways. in im glad that we did it this way instead of the other way because i think it opened up my eyes on a variety of ways on how to find informantion and different information as well. This way also expanded my vocabulary because my topic had ample of large words and weird one that i didn't understand so i had to go fing out what their meaning were. And it as well made me concentrate more because i new i couldnt go up in front of the whole class and bs my way through it like i do my reasearch papers. the most difficult part was finding the informtion because some of the stuff i found just kept repeating its self it mad me want to give up but since it was graded so heavly i couldnt. another area that gave me problems was turning the information into my own words because some it was already shortened to begin with. And not to forget about geting up in front of everybody. i was SO NERVOUS and i had no reason to be because i new everybody for so long. i think it was because everybody else was making a big deal out of it so i was. And makeing sure i had read enough hours was something eles i was having difficulties with just because i couldn't see how much i had and as well getting to an computer to give you them hours. The easiest part was probaly setting up google reader..lol but all jokes aside it wasnt easy n it wasnt hard. i leaned how to research which i think is going to be very helpful when i get to college. And as well i learned how to be more open to others backgrounds. i think you chose it to help us on actualy researching because a majority of us don't know how to. And as well overcome ower fear of talking infront of the class. i could of probaly practice infront of my mirror a couple more times so i wouldnt been so nervous. that part still makes me mad till today even tho its over n done with because i couldnt understand why i was so nervous. and i could of done so much better especially on my multipersonality that i acted out. UGH! but we learn from our mistakes right? yes i loved the topic that i chose i think i fitted me perfectly. people said that they could see me picking my topic. yea i think i put a good amount of effort in because i never been so much involved in a research paper as i was with this presentation . and i actually liked it.

Nancy M said...

So for starters, I havent presented my project yet so I cant take that big sign of relief. When you first told us we were going to have to do a 10 to 12 min talk I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I kept thinking omg I cant do this. Then you showed us our first ted talk. That freaked me out even more. I mean I'm a pretty talkitive person around my friends but to stand in front of the class and do a talk thats a different story. As I started to do my research about my topic about art, my project started coming together and I knew I had enough info for a 10 min talk. I dont know if you remember me saying it but after the first day of presentations I said that talking for 10 mins isnt that long and it didnt look that bad. In the begining I would have rather written a paper but now that I think about it when doing a paper, you dont get anything out of it. I know I havent presented yet but I already feel like I got alot out of this project. In presenting something and talking about it, you get to show your passion for what your talking about. And making us stand in front of the class and talk I know will break a barrier for me kinda taking me out of my shell. Now you couldn't get any of that out of doing a typical research paper where all you do is throw up all the research you got off the internet onto paper.
I think the easiest part of the project was of course finding the research and putting it together. With the google reader I didnt have any problems finding my info. The hardest part is going to be starting my talk because I'm sure my nerves will be shot and I'll be scared to death lol. I think if you would have done the research project with us and did a topic you were interested in and did a talk in front of the class it would be easier for me so I could see first hand from the source what I had to do. Yes, I was extremely happy with the topic I chose because art is something I feel I cant live without and I didnt mind researching something that I liked. I do feel I put alot of effort into my project but when I present thats when I'll know if I put in as much effort as i should have. :)

Danielle U said...

Earlier today actually, I was over my friends house helping her write her research paper that was due I don’t even know when. She kept asking me what to do, and I felt like I was leading her in the right direction. Although I didn’t write a research paper, I felt I definitely learned way more than I would have on how to do a paper. I kept reading through her information, trying to help her comprehend it, and I was just so happy that I didn’t have to write a 10 page paper. A 10 page paper would have been a lot harder than our presentation, but I learned how actually study research. So, after getting over my fear of presenting, I would have to say I loved the presentation and I feel bad for kids who have to write 10 pages. Personally, I think I could have done way better. Since it was the first project, I just wasn’t focused, and I wasn’t sure what I was doing. Since we have three more projects, I think I’m sure to put full effort into them. The most difficult part of the presentation was Google reader. I really just couldn’t get a hang of it, and I didn’t like being told how many hours of research I needed to understand a topic. Also, getting subscriptions. Like, I didn’t even get subscriptions for things I subscribed. It was SO confusing. I know it didn’t show I read like anything on Google reader, but the fact that it was so confusing was why I just couldn’t focus and sit down for 10 hours and read. The easiest part of the project was probably speaking. Although I’m a terrible public speaker, it really wasn’t so bad being up there. It was a lot better than having to write ten pages the day before it was do or something. What I think you could have done to make things easier would have been to not use Google reader. I’m thinking maybe we could have showed you research we found, or showed you note cards we made, or just anything else but Google reader to show you we were actually researching. I was happy with the topic I chose because I learned way more about animal cruelty than I thought, and some of the things I learned I never would have guessed happened in a million years. As you know, I could have put way more effort into the presentation then I should have. I don’t think I made ten minutes, and I was just going topic to topic. Everything was just jumbled. I don’t think I put enough effort into the presentation because I did not practice my speech at all in front of anyone. If I at least ran through it once over in front of someone, I could have been more confident in my speaking.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that we did that instead of the long papers. I think that with a long paper you just end up saying anything in order to fill all of that white. With the talks we could reall try to explain what we're thinking which is what i usually have a problem with when it comes to my papers just because i don't know what words i should use for everything. Which is funny because i still forgot something that i wanted to say during my talk which was that i have actually been in a shooting situation which i don't think that most of the class has been in so i have more of a personal experiance which would of been perfect but i kept getting bogged down by everyone and their hypothetical stiuations which are almost impossible to answer because not only am i not in that situation but also the fact that the way i could handle something could be totally different than the way that someone else would handle it. I'm pretty sure that you wanted us to do this not only so we can face our fears but moreso that we could learn to think on our feet with all the questions which is most likely why we were getting graded on our inpromptu i think that's how you spell it. I liked my topic and think i knew enough about it because all of my reaserch was legit but everyone had to put their two cents in and think that i was wrong but whatever. Such is life i can't wait for the next one =]

Anonymous said...

I liked the research paper… well research speech. I’m glad we didn’t have to write an 8-10 page paper. I think that when you write a research paper you don’t really learn anything. Everything that you put in your paper is just rephrased from another. When writing a research paper, I don’t really grasp the ides of the topic or even care to understand it. Because we had to talk about it, I wasn’t pressured to have the little stuff; like note cards, works-cited, etc. I liked how I could really get into my topic by reading articles after articles. I think I did a pretty good job. Although like everyone else I get a little nervous, I don’t mind talking in front of a crowd. The most difficult part was getting distracted and losing my place. Because I wasn’t reading from a paper, I forgot where I was and stalled for a minute. The easiest part was the research, I guess because I had fun doing it. There were so many interesting things about natural disasters. I think you chose this project to prepare us for college. In the future there are going to be numerous amounts of times when we have to say a speech and talk about a certain topic. In the past, we were never really taught how to do a speech because we never needed to know. But now we do. I think you made it easy for us as it was. You didn’t pressure us to do it every night, but you kept an eye on us from time to time making certain deadlines, showing that we weren’t waiting until last minute. I was really happy with the topic I chose. I think I put a good effort in my research and presentation. When I first started researching natural disasters I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it. Then I took the more religious approach and twisted God into it, going deeper with ethos. Personally, I think that this is a more productive way of really knowing the facts and knowledge then writing an 8-10 paper.

kyle w said...

Although most people would say that this type of research paper would be easier, I would still want to write the 8-10 page paper. I am one of those people that could write a ten page paper in two hours, if the subject is right, which it was because I got to choose the subject. I would prefer the paper over the speech because I absolutely hate speaking in front of people. If I had to give myself a grade on this project, I would have given myself a C. I think I was knowledgeable on the subject, but I felt like I panicked up there and did not say what I was trying too. Of course the hardest part of the project was speaking in front of the class. The easiest part of the speech was the question part because I felt like I was very knowledgeable on the subject. I learned what a lot of different things meant in the stock market. I've been following the stock market for three years now, and I have come across a lot of different terms that I didn't understand, but during this project I found out what a lot of terms meant through my research. And the more important thing that I learned was how to talk in front of people. I didn't really learn this, but I got better at it by practicing. I think you gave us this project to teach us how to make speeches interesting. The only thing you could have done to help me in this project is to not make me use Google Reader. The google reader did not help me at all and it was just a hassle. I loved the topic I chose because I already had a basic understanding of the subject, but I still learned new things. I do think that I put enough effort into this project. If you just looked at the Google Reader, you would think that I put no effort into this project, but that does not show the countless hours I spent on the computer researching and reading articles.

1BrianL said...

I loved the project, I would do it again too if I had a better topic. At first I was really going crazy over organizing the imformation I was reading. there was so much to cram into 10 minutes. I actually told you I would much rather do a paper. But after presenting what I had to present i would love to take that statement back. It was fun to talk in front of the class, and if I had something I was even more passionate about I would have a great time. I thought i did a pretty good job, More imformation and a little more clarity could have improved my project, but overall I feel as well the class got something out of my talk. Pretty much the most difficult thing for me was preparing all of my note cards and trying to orgnize what i talked about to make sense. It was pretty easy to talk to the class, the first minute is pretty scary then I gotover it. The google reader was not my favorite thing, i actually got most of my info from regular google. A good way to check if we are reading is the questions, we could do them more often, rather than the google reader thing. I was pretty happy with choosing to talk about headaches, I figured it was something I wanted to learn about, and everyone gets head Aches so it was prefect to explain why people can get them. I actually did everything, I read a week later than most people, but i still read thoroughly. I feel I gave enough imformation and did a pretty good job. I'd do it again...in college. :)

Paul H said...

i actually liked this project a lot. and i definitely would pick this over a paper any day. i think i did a good job for the most part. i could of done a little better though with my speaking and how i presented myself. the most difficult thing for me was trying to figure out how i could talk about snowboarding for that long but still keep everyone's attention. also i found it hard finding enough information to talk about for 10 minutes. i think the easiest thing was being confident about my topic and being able to answer any questions to the best of my ability. i think you made this project as easy as you could to the best of your ability and i have no complaints. i was very happy with the topic i chose because it is a topic am i very passionate about and that i feel everyone should know about. i think i put a lot of effort in to my project but there is always room for improvement. i could have put more time in to preparing and practicing my speech. but i am happy with the amount of effort i put in to this project but i will make sure to put more in to the next one.

Sam S said...

At first when the research project came up I was flipping out in my head thinking o my god I am going to do so bad and just remembering how much I hate speaking to my peers. The process of it using Google Reader was a bit of an irritation, but that is because I just hate research and Google reader counts just made me feel like I did nothing when I know I did a lot. The thought of an 8-10 page paper compared to that is like I don’t know how to explain. 8-10 pages is so much and I definitely like this project better than any paper writing ever in life. So there is not a thing that makes me think that a paper would have been better. Honestly, I think I did a good job. I mean I stumbled over a few words and some things I said were a little arrogant, but other than those mistakes I do believe I did a good job. I had to overcome my speaking frights and memorize that because I didn’t want to have to look down much. I defiantly could have done a better job, but since it was only the first one I think I give myself a lot f credit for not being scared besides the first 15 seconds.
The most difficult thing come my presentation was walking up to the podium. I felt like people were starring saying what is this one going to be and maybe saying something about me or thinking it instead of listening to me. So I think the hard part for me was all in my head. Well that was the hardest part of my actual presentation, but the hardest part in general was starting my research or finding the why. Surprisingly, the easiest part was the presentation. I practiced so much that I knew what I was saying so I had nothing to be afraid of except that whole mental thing about what people are thinking. I learned that speaking does not have to be a scary part in English. As long as I am prepared, I think I can pretty much do anything. Also I learned that many subjects can be understood in different ways.
Well sitting here I said you chose this to drive me crazy, but I think you chose this project to teach us how to research the crap out of something and take all the information together to make a speech out of it. Also, I saw this as a tool to learn public speaking and organization of thoughts and research gathered. In order to make this easier I really don’t know what we could have done. Maybe not have ten hours of reading in such little time and just have to show that you are working. I think that was the bother for me was worrying if I hit my ten hours or even came close. I feel like a mess typing this blog answer bunj. I think I have my words out of place. I was very happy with my topic. Skiing is my life and for me to research skiing was like actually interesting. I think I could have put more effort into the research in the beginning to make the end less stressful. When I actually put my speech together I put in as much effort as a person who is taking a test. I spent a long time figuring out my words, stories, and organization.

marcus m said...

I am the last person to go in my class so I am a little nervous still. As of right now though I actually really enjoyed this presentation process. I without a doubt much rather talk to the class for twelve minutes rather than an 8-10 page paper about something that doesn't even interest me. I really hope that I will do a good job. As a sort of practice run I even did my talk in front of my physics class and they thought that it went pretty well. The most difficult part of the entire project is the actual talk. Speaking to groups of people has never been something to look forward to. The easiest part of the project was picking the specific things that I am going to talk about during the twelve minutes. This is only because there were so many interesting things talk about. I have learned so many things I'm still processing them. I learned how theoretically we could travel forward in time, and baby's not aging due to their speed. I don't want to say to much because I haven't gone yet. You most likely chose this project for us because going into the real world we need to know how to speak to people. You made everything pretty easy for me at least, the only thing might of been to make the necessary hours for google reader shorter. I love the topic of time because it is part of our life day in and day out, no matter where we go it will always be there. I put as much effort as I possibly could of into this project. It was most likely because learning about the topic makes me look at everything in my life different.

John L. said...

When this research paper was first brought to our attention I was a little skeptic. To be honest at first I would have rather done the 8-10 research paper, but as my own presentation came to a close I felt a feeling of great relief and could honestly say I liked this project as a whole. Although I was relieved that I had gotten it over with I wish I had done a better job. The only thing I wish I had done better on is my speech and the way I came across to the audience, which was by far the most difficult part of the project. The easiest part of this project, I would say, would be everything up until you have to present.

I learned a lot from this project. The most important thing I learned is that public speaking is scary, but doable. I think that is probably one of the reasons you assigned us this particular project ms. Bunj. And don’t think there was anything you could have done to make it any easier because there really wasn’t much more you could do besides do the project for us.

Overall I was happy with the topic that I chose although I do wish I had put more effort into it. Hopefully I will next time =)

Bill R said...

I enjoyed giving a speech rather than writing an eight to ten page paper. I just wish that I would have come more prepared the day of my presentation. Honestly I think I did a terrible job on this research project, but I expect to do much better on the next project we’re given. I found that trying not to procrastinate along with trying to find the right words to say on the day of the presentation were the two hardest parts for me which would explain my lack of preparation and diction while presenting. The easiest part for me would be answering the questions because the questions I was asked were simple. I learned a lot about the medical uses of music and how it affects the body and the mind. I think you chose this project for us because we need to have a research project in our curriculum for one, but over that because not many of our classes help us learn to publicly speak which is a very important lesson for us to learn. I was happy with the topic I chose because I enjoy learning about music, but I don’t think I put as much effort into it as I should have mainly because I tend to procrastinate and slack off.

S.Ryan L said...

What do I think of this research project? I actually enjoyed learning about my topic even though I never really got the hang of Google reader. The topic was whatever you wanted so it was really easy to have fun with it. Of course I knew a little bit about my topic but I still learned some new things about the internet. Compared to an eight or ten page paper this was pretty awesome. I know today my friend was looking up six sources for his paper and I was laughing at him. It’s pretty sweet to know that I’m done with it. Do I think I did a good job? I think I did pretty well, I know I put a little time into this so it wasn’t horrible ha. When it came down to facts I know there’s maybe only a handful of kids that know how the internet works. No one ever thinks about because we all take it for granted every day. There was one place I struggled on this project. GOOGLE READER DUN DUN DUN!! It’s not that I hate Google reader but it was a pain to use. I know if I used the web it would have been so much easier than trying to find a place that had RSS feeds. I think it took a while together all my information and find a direction for my presentation. It was a lot of words and multiple concepts to explain. I wanted everyone to understand what I was saying not just be left out in the dark. I didn’t get to say everything I wanted to but I think what I did present was pretty good. I love technology so I can’t say I hated this topic. I don’t know if there was anything to make it easier for us I mean maybe less time on G-evil-Reader. I think the time I put into this project was enough. My grade was pretty raw and my classmates got really interested about the topic once they realized this could help them in the future.

Bunje said...

Is "raw" a good thing, Ry? I can't find it in in my slang book! :(

Anonymous said...

I thought this research paper was a good idea. It made me talk in front of the class about a specific topic. I'm glad the class decided on doing the presentations instead of an 8-10 page essay. Those essays have no point what so ever. Everybody knows how to write. I think I did a good job on the project. I was so nervous about presenting. I was nervous for the first 3 minutes then the pressure was gone. The most difficult part was finding a thesis that everybody could relate to. The easiest part was writing the information on note cards for the presentation. I could have chose the topic at the beginning and not switched it. I was happy with the topic that I eventually chose. I could lie and say that I put a lot of effort in to this project but I didn't. I'm not going to make any excuses I was just a lazy person. I didn't wait to the last minute to do it but i was very, very close to the last minute.

Roodly A said...

this research project was tough. i mean i heated it, but than after my prsentation i started realizig how this projects showed me alot of things. it showed me how in lif if you want somthing you have to work hard to get it. life is tough and hard, in life you cant just expect everything to come to you, you have to work hard.i rather do a research paper than doing the presentation.because when we do a research paper, we learn more and also get more motivated. yea i think i did a good job, i mean it wasnt great or perfect but it was good. i even had the courage to go up there and present, after that presentation, i felt ok because everybody said i did a good job. the most difficult part to me was really the presentation, but i got through it,and the easiest part was the research. i would of loved it if he presentation was shorter, if it was 5 mins i would have been more comfortable and also feel less nervous. i learned alot on my topic,i learned things i never thought that would happen to the human body, i also didnt learn that people can get nose cancer from breathing out smoke through your nose. i think that u chose this topic because your helping us later in college, because we will be doing alot of research paper. i wasnt vey happy with the topic i chose because, mostly everybody knew about smoking and i didnt want them to hear something they heard their freshman year so thats why i started talking about the black hairy tounge. i should have picked a sport. like baketball or something becuase i would have felt more comfortable.i think i put an ok effort into this topic. i could have putten more effort but i guess i was too nervous.

Mel said...

well you know me and when you first explained about this project i hated it and would of much rather wrote a 8-10 page paper. im glad that you choose to do the research paper this way though because i felt alot better about myself when i was done. from me the girl who use to speed read all her papers and turn bright red to now being able to somewhat calmly speak in front of the whole class for 10 minutes about something that i care about was amazing. i loved it and i think that i did a pretty good job even though there is always room for improvement. the most diffucult had to be figuring out google reader and trying to read online for so long. i didnt like that part at all, but the other part that was diffucult was being able to get the confidence to express myself in front of everyone. as you know i dont do this often because i dont like to hear other peoples negative opionins about how i feel about something. the easiest was talking about the topic once i got up there after the first few minutes i felt fine. i learned that if you have something to say people will listen. i think you choose this project to help us develope our public speaking skills and overcome our fears, along with learning alot of new things. i dont think you could of done anything else to make this easier, you introduced us to one of the most helpful websites, even though it was hard to get use to and you were there to talk and everything. you made it pretty simple if we did the research. i was very happy with the topic i choose and glad that i picked it.i think that there is always more effort to be put into anything that you do but i did try my best. i kno that i put alot of effort into it becasue i was able to talk for so long. if i didnt know what to say i would of just stopped. since i knew what i was talking about i was able to keep talking. =)