Monday, March 30, 2009

"For Better or For Worse..."

I think we can all agree that there are some pretty..errr...different ideas and concepts in Brave New World that seem strange and maybe even disturbing to the average high school reader.
First, what are they? (everyone's answer may be different and that's ok).

One of the hypnopaedic phrases we have come across is that: "everyone belongs to everyone else." Now, this particular idealogy seems to fly in the face of the traditional belief in marriage, monogamy and true love.
Do you believe in any of these, what some may call antiquated ideas? Do you believe that there is only one perfect person for everyone? True love? What does the idea of marriage mean to you? Do you want to get married? Why or why not?

(400 words/70pts)

46 comments:

stephen m said...

I think that this book has a very interesting theme. The most disturbing part of the book was the fact that everyone is created in a factory. I think that everyone should have a relationship and be able to be faithfull if they want however if people want to be permiscuous then by all means let them do what they want. The only thing is I beleive that humans should be born the natural way in that only people who want to have babies have them. Yes people will still be test tube babies but they would be born in a traditional way after nine months of a women being pregnant. But the eggs would be introduced when the women chooses to have a baby. Basicly it is artificial insemination. For the next question I belive that everyone belongs to them selves. They do what they want with who they want if that person agrees on it also. If I could change that about the utopia I would. However I dont think that people should be held to one person if they dont want to. Marrige is for people who really love each other. If people want to get married and spend the rest of their lives with only one person let them. I dont think that people should be forced to not get married or even be looked down on fo it. However I dont believe in true love other then ones love for them selves. I believe that there are people who really love others but I think if two people truly love each other they would not ever fight or get in any arguments at all. I dont know of one relationship where the two lovers have not disagreed on anything. Yea there are also people who woud be matched perfectly with another person but it is not always true love. To me marrige is sacred people should only do it if they truely have a great appreciation for their parteners. I also believe that people should be able to be married to multiple people. This goes with the fact that I dont belive in true love. However there is a twist that I believe should be involved with marrige. Once a person is married they should not be aloud to get devorced. I think this would stop alot of people from getting married in the first place. Also with people who get married they should have to meet a certain set of requirements. If they do not meet these requirments as a couple they should not be aloud to get married. Yea.

Nancy M said...

The most disturbing parts of this book are A.) The fact that humans are created in tubes and woman are no longer mothers B.) Everyone is a druggie and uses soma so they can escape feeling anything and C.) No one is their own person in this society. I think individuality is who we are and without a person having their own identity what is the point of living? Everyone is the same and no one is special. Even though they have different castes in this book, personality wise nothing separates the alphas from the betas or deltas and so on. I think that’s the hardest concept for me to grasp because I couldn’t imagine not having a brain of my own and not being able to think for myself.
As for the marriage and true love thing… in my eyes marriage is viewed as sacred. When people get married some get married in a church which is the house of God. Now if you can walk into a church and say vows and promise to be with someone until death parts you, you should keep your promise. You’re going into Gods house and making a promise to him and I believe that promise should be respected. I’m not saying that if you marry someone and they end up cheating or hurting you you cant divorce them because you promised to be with them forever, but you should make an effort to stay faithful and true and make the best out of your marriage since you decided to get married. Marriage isn’t for everyone and people shouldn’t get married on a whim, it should be respected and understood before a commitment is made. You’re promising to spend the rest of your life with someone…that’s a big deal. And I do believe that there is a true love for everyone. There is a person out there for everyone and its up to us to find them. I feel like we are put on this earth in pairs and there is someone out there who understands you and can make you blissfully happy. You might not find that person until your 85 but when you find them you’ll know they’re the one for you. If you find your true love and your meant to be with them, no matter what happens you’ll always find your way back to them and they will complete you. I’m not sure if I want to get married because I have trust issues with people and I’m afraid ill end up with a cheating husband and I don’t want to make a promise in front of God to be with someone for better and worse without knowing in my heart their the right one. I like the idea of marriage but not the reality of just because you love someone they’re not necessarily going to love you back. That brings me back to the true love thing. Ill get married if I know that I’ve found my true love.

Paul H said...

Well for starters there is the idea of manufacturing babies. Instead of people going through the normal "procedures" of having a baby, there is a factory of types that makes the babies. This factory basically contains artificial organs to give birth to many babies at a time. There is a group of like 50 babies that are born at a time with all of the exact same DNA. Each group of babies is assigned to a caste such as alpha beta gamma delta or epsilon. To fit caste's guidelines some of the babies are deprived of oxygen or given an alcohol treatment to make them dumber. Also after the babies are born they may be conditioned to be scared of books and flowers by getting shocked whenever they go near either of the two. When they grow up, anytime they go near books or flowers they will be inclined to turn away. About the everyone belonging to everyone else, I think that is very wrong. Although that is wrong in my opinion some people feel that it is a very good idea such as swingers. Basically they follow the same ideology. I do not believe in the idea of swinging. People are prone to jealousy and also tend to be possessive of their boyfriends or girlfriends. When someone’s relationship is threatened they may get violent or out of control. I for one do not get violent but I just like most other people do not think girlfriends or boyfriends should be shared. I do believe that there is a perfect person for anyone and everyone. Whether or not they will ever find that person is debatable but that person is out there somewhere. I do not believe in the idea of true love though. True love could never happen because even if you think you truly love someone, if they were to cheat on you or do something horrible to you, you could never forgive them. People that say they do forgive people that have hurt them horribly are just kidding themselves because inside it really hurts them. Nowadays I am not quite sure what marriage means. There is a lot of people who just get married for the money. Sure there are some people who do it for love but if that marriage fizzles out they will most likely get as much money out of it as they can. I think I want to get married but not anytime soon. I have a lot of my life ahead of me and I feel marriage will just damper my experiences. Once I am out of college it is a whole other story. But I think once I am settled down and out of college with the job I want I might be ready. That is also saying if I have met someone I am willing to settle down with.

ash tharp said...

well first let me say at least this book is better then the life of pie because even though the facts in the book are horrible but straight forward life of pie was a puzzle. but lets get back to"brave new world" yes there are many disturbing concepts in this book and i will tell you what they are first is" everyone belongs to each other" i think this is bullcrap. when you are geting busy with someone you should have feeling between each other that no one else would feel for them. these actions should be precious, and specail to two individuals that care or "love" each other. to me this books makes me think that all these people are sluts. another thing that bother me is the process of making babies. Babies are suppose to be loved, treated with care, and should be made by teo people making the decision that they are ready to have some noggie then they also need to be ready for a baby. But they treat babies like test animals they poison them to what ever they want to be. babies deserve to have the oppurtunity to grow up and choose what they want to be. this book is unfair cruel and some what disgusting. like i truely hate the idea of the yopung children exsperiencing sexual habbits, that is totally wrong. there still babies or at least to that phase in life.
i believe in a lot of things and one you meantion is true love i believe it happens all the time becasue what else can you explain as an answer for asll those couples that been together for decades. true love is real, romantic, and pure and i believe that everyone deserves to feel that in their life time. i am not truely stuck on that their is only onwe true love i believe that their are more then one chance to find mr or mrs. right becaseu there more a person grows the more they want from a partner so you can find many others that you can connect so quickly and strongly passionate for one another so i think you can find more than one true lover in you life. marriage now you might think that it would be important to me becasue usually those who believe in true love say that tye are going to get married but i hate the idea of marriage. to me mariage is the ending of a realtionship. don't you look around there are moe divorce people then marrie dpeople. when people get married every thing changes and it usually for the worse. to me marroage is only a paper. so i don't want to get married i can be happily in love with m,y true love for the rest of my life and say yea he is my husband but not legally.

JessL said...

One of the strange and disturbing things in Brave New World is the concept that everyone belongs to each other. They all have sex with each other and pass girls on to other guys like its no big deal. There is no jealousy or hatred whatsoever and there aren’t even any diseases. It’s weird that everyone is fine with everything and that there isn’t even a little bit of emotions that portray mad, envy, or jealousy; anything negative. It’s also weird that little kids have sex with everyone, too. That’s just weird and disturbing. And wrong. I bet the author enjoyed child pornography or something.
Oh, I do believe in true love. I am a hopeless romantic. I’m a pretty traditional person as well, so of course I believe in those antiquated ideas. The idea of true love makes my heart leap and it’s just one of those things that I go weak about. I don’t necessarily believe that there is only one perfect person for everyone. I believe that there is only perfect person for another person, but I don’t believe that everyone has one. I think that some people out there are just not meant to have someone. Either they did some bad karma and don’t deserve true love or it’s just the way fate wants it. True love is out there though. More most people. I think true love is pretty much the same as unconditional love where you love that other person no matter what. That they don’t expect you to be anyone but yourself and enjoy every little aspect of you. True love motivates people to succeed higher and try to gain the best life for the other person according to what they want. There has to be lots of communication for true love with no regrets or hesitations.
Marriage is a special bond between two people who basically make a pact to be with each other that they will support one another through thick and thin. That they are the only one that they want in their lives and that they truly love each other. I do want to get married and I hope it happens to me eventually. Marriage is sacred and should not be taken for granted. It signifies something special and I want to have someone who I can share my life with. They could help carry me along in life and make me happy and always be there for me. It’s like a secure feeling to know that you have a husband there for you and you should feel safe and happy with him.

Anonymous said...

Although Brave New World is very “different”, I like it. Because it’s so “different”, it is very unpredictable. There are, though, disturbing parts. When I first read that question, the first thing that popped in my mind was “orgy”. That itself just show its extent of worry. Also, I’m not comfortable with the fact that babies are made in bottles and placed into caste systems at random. Also, I don’t agree with the fact that “everyone belongs to everyone else”. I believe in loyalty and faithfulness to one person, like the woman, I mean, “savages” do. I know that if some one tried to be with my man, I would beat them up too. Haha.
I have a strong belief in marriage. Marriage to me is a sacred bond between two people who have the ability to love each other unconditionally. I also believe in true love. True love is more rare now-a-days then it was in pastime. I believe this is because people these days are sick minded and take too many things for granted. To find true love, you need to truly find love in yourself and allow yourself to feel the emotions felt when one is wooed by every motion of their significant lover.
As fairy tale as it sounds, I do believe that there is one perfect person for everyone. I can not wait to get married. I’ve been dreaming about it since I was little. I understand that it won’t always be perfect, but knowing together we can fight through the imperfections will always make us perfect in my eyes. Right now I am head over heals with my boyfriend. We have been dating for a little more than a year and a half and fortunately we’re still as strong and as happy as we were the day we met. In high school, relationships are usually happy within the first few months, then a persons true being shows and their true faults are the reason for break up. I’ve seen his faults, and he’s seen mine, but we both share the same optimistic attitude which allows us both to see past the imperfections. We’ve been through so much and we’ve really grown together. Before him, I didn’t believe in marriage and thought that vows were a bunch of crap and had no meaning in the long run. I guess I thought this because of the way my parents are. Rodney has changed my outlook on marriage and through his love he has taught me that it’s not marriage that messes up a relationship, it’s the people. Okay, enough for the mushy love stuff. But, just to say, I would love to get married to Rodney. :)
As for the book, in this particular novel, I don’t believe they need marriage because they have enough of problems as it is.

S.Ryan L said...

One of the most disturbing concepts in Brace New World is that everyone is happy all the time. I don’t think its bad to be happy all the time but that’s only one emotion out of thousand. It’s not human nature to be happy all the time because there will be things that make you irate or depressed. I don’t like the concept that everyone is doing drugs. Soma is gateway to empty your head of all its thoughts instead of just dealing with it. It’s kind of creepy how people come about in this book. They start in a little test tube and just work there way down an assembly line in a factory. I hate the fact that they love Henry ford because his quote, “history is bunk” is just stupid. He did help technology but I think he should be the god in there society.
When you read the book you do come across the phrase “that everyone belongs to everyone else.” I really hate that about the book even if it makes it a little more interesting who is sleeping with who. It’s just gross thinking about people sharing each others body’s like pencils. No one has a commitment to each other so they are free to do whatever they want whenever they want.  I do believe in marriage and at one point in my life I will want to get married. As for now I’m happy doing my own thing trying to figure out what I want in a girl when I do want to get married. I think marriage is a bond that states you want to spend the rest of your life with this person no matter what happens. I do think that there is a perfect someone for everyone but I don't think that there is just one. I think there is more then one soul mate for everyone but it doesn't mean you should sleep around with who ever you think your soul mate is. I think true love does exist but its very hard to find now a days. In first period its a little a different because most of our parents are still together. I know that in todays time that more couples split up then stay together. I think love takes work to keep it going but I guess it can die out due to certain circumstances. I think communication is the problem with our society and that's a crucial part of a relationship. Oh yea Bunje just to let you know I got kicked out of the library for two weeks for writing this blog ROFL.
 

Javahn B said...

Ok, there are many things in this book that is very disrturbing and strange to me. Actually i think that this whole book is disturbing. The idea of actually "creating" a human, as if you're creating a toy or a new computer, is terrible. The process of giving birth to a child, is one of the most breath taking experiences you could ever go through. That's basically taking away all the special reasons we cherish our mothers. They go through a painful 9 months of carrying another human inside of them. When they had a chance to refuse to a baby. But i have to say that using the drug "Soma" to give you no worries, make your mind completly free and be happy all the time, and be legal at the same time, is completly obsurd. Is'nt that what's going on today!!! Everyday people all around the world is taking drugs to either escape all their worries, to let their minds be free and it just makes them feel incredibly happy. But our drugs are illegal, and for some strange reason they made it legal.
I really dont know if there is a perfect person for everyone. I just went back and forth typing that there is a perfect person and there is not a perfect person for everyone. Istill dont know if there is a perfect person for everyone. I say this because a relationship could never be perfect, there is always going to be conflicts between the two. But what makes them perfect, is whether they choose to make it work. If they can always come to a complete decision without arguing or getting into a fight, i guess that would make them perfect. Im not saying that they're perfect individuals, im saying that they're perfect for eachother. For example, My grandmom and grandpop, they always have issues, but they always find a way to handle their situations. They've been together for 40 years and been married for 30. Now, tell me who can stay together that long and not be perfect for eachother. I had girlfriends that i was with for 3 months that i couldnt stand to see them for another minute.
First of all love is a painful thing to experience if its true love it would be painful. Like the old saying go, "no pain no gain". The pain in a relationship with true love, is like a bone thats been broken and healed. First is an unbarrible pain, then after its healed, its stronger than before. So what im trying to say is that, there is true love, you just have to find it.
The idea of marriage runs through my mind all the time. I think its a process that takes place when a couple is ready to dedicate their lives to one another. It's much more than just love... I cant explain it... I do want to get married. I want to have a family of my own that i love and cherish. I want a wife thats willing to give anything and everything for me, through sickness and wealth. Im sorry Ms. Bunje, its kind of hard for me to exlain this situation.

Anonymous said...

To be honest, this book has been one of the most interesting books that I have ever read. Its surely different in every way possible. But there are some things that really bother me about it as I read. One of the many things is the phrase “Everybody belongs to everyone else.” First of all, being with someone is supposed to be something private, intimate, and passionate between two people whom love each other. It disgusts me when they talk about being with more then one person and how normal they think it is. I don’t think it normal! When your with someone it should be because they want to be with each other and because they have that special bond and special connection with one another. Not because other people are going around and having sex with every person they make eye contact with. Oh and another thing, THEY HAVE ORGIES! that’s disgusting! How can you let more than one person be with you in just one time. That to me means that people don’t really have respect for themselves or their bodies. I also don’t like how everyone thinks its okay to have sex at the age of 7. Its sooo wrong! Everyone should experience like at their own pace, not follow some stupid rule. And if they don’t have sex at a early age, everyone looks at them like their crazy and that they shouldn’t belong there. I just think that having sex is supposed to be with that one special person in which you know they love you for who you are and because their beautiful in the inside and out. Plain and simple.
Another thing that really bothers me is how they treat the poor little babies. Do they have no feelings that they enjoy seeing babies getting shocked!? Babies should be brought into the world because two people make a choice that they want a baby and that they will love them and cherished. They shouldn’t be treated like nothing that they feel so comfortable shocking them so they grow up not liking a certain thing. They should grow up having their own rights on what they should like and not like. Everyone deserves to be successful in life, and by them shocking them, it makes it seem like they think their to dumb to learn anything.
So now with marriage. Marriage to me is a special bond in which two people share and make a commitment to be with each other through the good times and bad times. No matter what happens in their relationship, they will find a way to fix is because that’s what people whom are in love do. Marriage is supposed to give you happiness in life and make you feel like you are complete with your partner. Its their one and only true love. I would love to get married one day. But first I would want to make sure that their the one. That no matter what happens, I know they will be always there to love and support me. I would want them to love me for who I am and for what I can give them. I would want to have a happy marriage in which I know I would feel loved and safe with them. But I only want all that if I know in my heart that he’s the one and only for me.

BlakeR said...

The weird parts about this book I think is when and how they train or condition the kids into different groups and frats. Like how they determine how they are Alpha or Beta by their height and size. And that’s how they determine how smart they can be and how much they can know, I find this hard to grasp because I think that everyone should know as much as they want to know. The other thing that makes me feel weird is how they can “share” different people and how they just talk about them like they have no moral rights or feelings. It just doesn’t fit into today and that’s all I know. Personally I believe in marriage and true love, yes there are times where things don’t work out and then comes a divorce, but that’s not always the case. Most the time people fight through it and realize the things the really want and love is what they have. The perfect person part is a little iffy in my book though because some people go out for about 4 years and everything seems amazing and that this is the one but something critical comes up and its all over. Now some people call their Ex’s “the one that got away” and I think that everyone will have that once in their life, but when one door closes there is always another one waiting to be opened. But after that break up, and you think that you will never find someone like her, that’s when someone knew comes along and things change that you thought could never change. Your old EX who was the perfect person now becomes just a memory and then there is the next perfect person, so I think that all of that is all crap. True love is different because you could love anyone you want and you know even thought how much they put you through everything is still there some what and will never go away. The only time you can really for get about someone you truly loved is when you find the next person you can truly love and it’s a whole other cycle of love. The idea of marriage to me is two people, no matter if its two guys, two girls or a guy and a girl, is that they have to love each other and want to be committed to each others life. There are some people who get married for money and I believe that that is fake marriage and its pointless because there is no true love in it. There could be one person loving the other, but that is not how it works in a marriage. I want to get married and have a wedding and all that jazz because I know who ever it would be it is going to be the person I love and feels the same way about me. I do not plan on divorcing my wife, but I guess no one really does. But I think getting married is a good experience in life and that everyone should find that person they love and marry them. Being married will bring you and your special someone closer together and ether make things or break things. It all depends on how you would make the marriage. I guess I have to wait till that day though.

Jepson!!!!!!!!! said...

Well there are many interesting ideas in Brave New World. The one i find most disturbing is the fact tat the purposely give infants handicaps such as fetal alcohol syndrome. The children all running around naked is also quite odd, and I don't really understand the reasoning. The hypnosis thing is kinda scary, because the citizens don't even know how brain washed they are. haha i dont' believe in any of these ideas. I don't think that there is only one perfect person for everyone. I don't think fate is present in our world. I believe however things play out, depends upon so many other tiny occurances over time. That's the beauty of life, every day is such an adventure, you never know where you could end up, or how many days you have left to wake up to. I believe that even relationships, because most people aren't their complete selves at first, depend upon many circumstances. If even one event played out differently on any day of one's, the rest to follow would never be the same. I believe people can meet others who make them very happy. This can in fact turn into love, but not everyone shops for a companion on some sort of huge database. This makes it impossible for one to even have the chance to select the "perfect" mate or "most compatible" companion. I'm at a point in my life where I don't know what marriage is to me. Sometimes it almost seems like it is more of a financial thing to do. I don't know if anyone or everyone else views it that way anyway. I don't know if I want to be married, even though the idea of having a family is very appealing. I just need to live my life, and let it play out. If I get married, ok, but if not I guess that's alright to. Love should not be forced, it should just occur naturally. So if it happens, one should openly accept it in their lives. If marriage doesn't happen for someone, it's not the end of the world. Some people are completely successful and/or content with their lives even though they are not married to anyone. Maybe one day I will become married, maybe not.

ps. I do not believe in word counts. they force people to right extra garbage. haha :)

shantab said...

In The Brave New World, there was alot of weird stuff I came across. For example, that it was abnormal for little kids not wanting to have sex. They should be worried about watching the rugrats and getting there parents mad, not sex. Another thing that was diffrent (for lack of better words) in this book, was that it was basically forbidden to have continuous sex with one person over a long period of time. They basically wanted you to be promiscuous. Im guessing they didnt have STD's in this "utopia".
When it comes to these antiquated idea's, I do believe that everyone has a true love, and only one true love. Think about it like this, people can get married millions of times, and also get divorced. When you first get married, your most likely thinking that the person your going to marry is your soulmate. Things go wrong and you get a divorce. Then you find someone else, and you stay with them and grown old. Although it may take time, and a couple marriages, everyone will eventually find their true love.
Marriage is thought of as basically a happy ending, although that is not always the case. I think marriage is an agreement between to people that they will be together forever , no matter what, and I dont think people take marriage as seriously as they should. When i'm about 27 I DO plan on getting married, and i don't really want to rush into it, because it seems like thats what went wrong with my fathers marriage, and alot of other people in my family. I look at marriage as a process, and eventually, i'll find thta place in life when its time for me to get married, but until then i'll just say "pimpin aint easy!" haaa.

Anonymous said...

This book is c-razyyyyyyyyyy Ms. Bunje ! It’s like, a super duper bangin’ but confusing soap opera that I’d actually watch just because it seems like the kind of show that would amuse me yet still keep me thinking. All about soma and sex and real world vs. fantasy world and controllers of the world and stuff, oh geez… but if this is the mind of the Utopian world, then it's pretty whack mentality in my opinion. You are who the controller tells you to be and no one else, not even your own 'true' self. You can’t do what you want to do, say what you really want to say and befriend those who are not in your caste system (except for Alphas and Betas which I still don't understand why they can be together since one is still lower than the other yet they're still good enough to bang each other?). Satirically, this book frowns upon the woman's body and motherhood, marriage is a joke, and you'd be banned from this parallel universe if you were to fall in love. But true love is not an idea, it's a bunch of feelings that cannot be forced nor controlled -- it's a journey that sometimes takes a lifetime for some to find if it comes to them. Marriage is a sentimental symbol and the physical expression of true love. It's something I definitely believe in but overtime has been abused by many. Marriage for true love I mean. Not money or family honor or 'reality tv shows' and all that other crap. You, in a sense, explore and come around to find the love of one that will hopefully last forever. I mean, there are some who would roll like “The Brave New World” and ‘fall in love’ a good seven or eight times, like Flava Flav! Or women like New York, but I’m not counting them because I don’t even think they really know what true love is—just what baby mamas and pimp daddys are. But would I want to get married one day? Of course, one day. I feel like I'm already ready but I choose to worry about my future and my life first before I would want to tie myself down to my dreamly nonexistent home and pop out a bunch of babies that will run around my invisible backyard if i were to get married as of now. It's the passion and the love within it that I would yearn the reason of marriage, otherwise it would not even exist in my opinion. We would be more like "The Brave New World" and 'love' would cease to exist but stability would seriously be the prime in our world. Just like the "Brave New World". Oh, how yucky and fordly.

Anonymous said...

Brave New World defiantly has strange and disturbing concepts and ideas. The whole idea of the factory and machines is kind of scary. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory gave me the creeps and that was NOTHING like the kind of factory that the Brave New World people were running. It’s disturbing to think that they are okay with sharing everyone, especially for sex. The hypnopaedic phrase “everyone belongs to everyone else” is troubling to a lot of people. When people think of a relationship, they think the most important thing about being in a relationship is the fact that you are exclusively with that one person. If you wanted to be with more than that one partner, especially sexually, most see no reason for you to be in a relationship at all. Even though the traditional beliefs of marriage and true love, to some may be old fashioned, most still think that people should live by those values in a relationship. But of course, in this day and age, people being faithful, even in marriages is highly uncommon. Even though I do not think that is right for people in relationships to go out and cheat on their partner, it definitely happens. I think this happens because no one person is perfect for anyone else. You will never meet a person in your life that is exactly like you or that you will agree with about everything. And because this is so, instead of finding someone that is perfect for us, we often settle for a partner that is “most-perfect” for us. This allows other people to have qualities that our partner may be missing, but that we are attracted to. I believe this is what leads people to cheat. I think that true love exists, but is rare. It is easy to have love for a person and not be in-love with them. I think a lot of people, especially in relationships, and even some marriages, have love for their partner, but are not in-love with them. This allows them to hold on their relationship on the strength that they care enough for their partner that they do not want to see them hurt, but do not love them enough to stop them from going behind their back and cheating on their partner. The idea of marriage to me is more like a companion thing. No one likes to be lonely and a lot of people yearn to have someone that they can do everything with. The reality of marriage is can be crushing if you truly believe that your partner will never be attracted to anyone else along the way. Somewhere along the way, you will get cheated on and if you are blind to the reality that this happens, you will be hurt. Although I am aware of this harsh reality, I still want to get married when I get older. I think that this is so because I am aware of how people in relationships act and am not blind to it. I think that the author of Brave New World also understands this and that is why he made the relationships between the characters as open as they are. That is why one of the hypnopaedic phrases is “everyone belongs to everyone else”.

Jared B. said...

I skimmed this theme in my occasional paper ironically enough. This book has various points that both confuse and stun those who dare to pick it up. The most obvious of these things would be the concept itself. “Brave New World” is an alternate and fake prospective of our future and where we are headed with our current wave of technology—well, almost current; the book was first written thirty years ago when this wave was nothing more than a shifting tide. It is a joke, but one which tempts the mind and leaves one to wonder just how things would be if this were to become the norm.
In truth, if we wanted to, we could easily produce a society like this. Though we don’t current have the technology to void all disease, we must keep in mind just how easy the human mind can be persuaded. We could easily end up as mindless zombies if we gave into a government like this; we’d be happy all the time at the price of all other emotions. The very thought of falling into such a society sends my mind spiraling; I simply can’t stand the fact that this is 100% possible! The very idea is appalling.

Could we throw away the traditions that form our society? Perhaps someday, but I find that things such as marriage are still held in high regard. If you’re in love you get married and it is then that you and your beloved live happily ever after. Is this not the summary of nearly ever fairy tale princess’s dream? Marriage is meant to connect to happiness; this message has been pounded into our heads since the day we were born with countless stories which end in the matrimony of characters. Even something as simple as the Lion King has a connection to love which basically ends with the hero ending up with the one he wants to be with, as well as several other messages that I won’t bother to bore you all with.
However, at the same time I am filled with worry for these traditions. Most married couples seem to encounter problems which end in divorce, thus demeaning all the drama and emotion which went into the previous marriage. Is it possible that these customs had already been weakening without our consent? I use myself as an example, the idea of marriage has never once appealed to me. I don’t feel I’ll ever really get married; I suppose only the one could talk me into any such dream. My thoughts on love, destiny, and marriage are clustered into various stories, ideas, hopes, and tastes. In the end, my only true belief is that fate will show the way and when the time comes, you’ll know what you want to do with your love life.
These ideas, though worn, can’t go away! They’ve been our customs for so long now and are the only things keeping us from giving up whatever is left of our society. That said, I implore all my peers; hold these traditions proudly regardless of the feelings involved—if anything, just to prove that was as a nation still hold the ideals which reveal that we still have feelings.

kelso said...

Well for starters, the societies idea on not being able to obtain knowledge, through books or any criteria for that matter, is ridiculous. I could never imagine living in a world where I wasn't allowed to have any type of knowledge.
However, what I really don't understand is that having a family, being a mother, and having children is forbidden and looked upon as disgust. Growing up, it is every kids dream of having a family, being a mother or father, and having children. So, if all that is forbidden, what do you dream about then? Personally, without any of those 3 things, you will not really understand the value of life.
Now, the phrase, in this brave new world, "everyone belongs to everyone else" is BOGUS and goes against morals I have. No one should be with more than one person and I belive your body should be treated a s atemple and not someone's piece of A** whenever they are in the mood. Then when you get married I belive you belong to that person and that person only, but you can't be if you belong to everyone else. To me i think this entire idea is just uncivilized.
Personally, I believe with all my heart there is only one person in this world for you, the perfect person for you. He/ she would be your true love. True love to me is when you are inseperable from the other person, stay madly in love with each other each paaing day, feel guilty when the other gets mad at you, and the list can go on and on. When you have true love, your heart aches everyday for that person even if your mad at them and not speaking to one another.
Knowing there is only one true love in this world for everyone, once you found them you get married, seem about right, at leats most do. To me marriage is sacred. You trade vows with one another and you both belong to each other now and no one else. When someone gets married you are no longer two individuals but one. You take a part of each other.
I can't wait to get married,which is closer than I imagined myslef getting married. Just to share my life with someone else, inside and out makes me feel all giddy inside. To have a special love with another person that no one else has with me or them is the greatest feeling to me of all.

Anonymous said...

I really don’t know where to begin when it comes to picking out the things that disturb me the most about this type of society in Brave New World. First off the fact that babies are manufactured in the Hatchery and certain individuals have the power to make a human being into whatever they would like it to be seems just sick to me. Even though the idea of being able to create a human and pick out and alter all the characteristics, that would otherwise just be natural, seems immoral. Henry Ford isn’t God so I don’t know why they worship him but in my opinion God makes us the way we are for a reason; to be individuals and not all alike. Also it’s crazy how there are no mothers, fathers, or families in this world, that seems somewhat absurd to me because the way I see it if there are no mothers or fathers or families there’s no way to distinguish what’s right or wrong sexually and in our world some may actually view that as incest. Lastly the thing I think that disturbed me the most about Brave New World is the fact that these people are programmed like robots and are treated like some kind of lab rats given a drug, soma, everyday to keep them from experiencing the beauty of living and feeling emotions. I’m sorry as mad and sad as I may get at times and as much as I would love to be happy 247 I believe it’s healthy to have mixed emotions, to be able to cry, laugh, and love. I appreciate my thoughts and I wouldn’t take any drug in the world to change that. To be thoughtless all the time and never really knowing what true happiness is, in my opinion, isn’t really living a life at all. In Brave New World it doesn’t seem like love really exists just desire and lust and as much as love can hurt it’s also beautiful at the same time. Personally right now after coming out of a two year relationship I find myself contemplating whether or not there is a perfect person for everyone. First of all no one is perfect but there are people out there that will turn your world upside down and will have you completely head over heals in love with them. I’ve experienced that kind of love but he wasn’t my “perfect” person. I can’t really say whether or not I want to get married maybe sometime in the far future but right now I think I’m just in love with the idea of love. Although, I do still have hope and I am young so one day I’m sure my knight in shining armor will sweep me off my feet and we’ll live happily ever after.

Anonymous said...

I would first like to start off saying that the book confuses and disturbs me to my core. Alright, it may not be bad as I'm making it seem, but some parts are horrying. The first weird thing is that babies aren't born in a "normal" manner; they are decanted. The people who work there put things into the tubes to make people smaller and such for the gammas,epsilons,etc. The second thing that bothered me was the fact that they torture babies and let them run around doing stuff with each other. What I mean by torture is when they allow the babies to touch the flowers and then they shock them. In today's society that would be considered wrong to do, but in their so-called-world, it is merely conditioning. Speaking of conditioning, the alphas and betas have hypnopaedia telling them to not hang out with anyone other than their kind because they're dirty. To me, that seems like racism being taught at an early age. The other thing that I find obscured is the fact that everyone is drugged up on soma so they don't have to feel anything. It looks like it can be beneficial, but in the long run it is not and they can die from overdosing on it. To top it all off, everyone belongs to everyone else! What kind of foolishness is that! The people don't have their own identies,and have the sense to think, I mean really think about what they are doing. This is what disguists me the most about the book. People are running around screwing everyone they lay their eyes upon. I think that this is totally wrong to do. We have a name for this in our world that pertains to women, whores. I don't belive in any of these antiquated ideas at all. Do I believe that there is only one perfect person for everyone? My answer to that question os no. I think that are many different people that are perfect for you, depending on what phase you are in, in your life. True love does exist, at least in my eyes it does. Marriage is very important to me, a sacred bond almost. Being married means that you are commited to someone other than yourself no matter what life throws in your face. One day I would like to get married. I want to have a husband, kids, etc.

Kirsten A said...

For starters I feel that there are many “weird” ideas/things going on in this book. But, the one major one that stands out to me and completing baffled me when I read it was the whole concept of it being ok to openly have sex with who ever and whenever you please to. Even worse would be that young children take part in this as well. I find that to be so odd that even children from a young age are taught to do this and that it is ok to. To add on the entire part about manufacturing babies is a crazy idea. I would hate to have people around that are exactly like you since there could be up to ninety-six other people identical to you.

When it comes to love I am a very sappy sort of old fashioned type of person. I do feel that every person does have that one someone out there in the world that you were truly meant to be with. While that may be the softer side of me coming out or as my mom likes to say it is caused by all of the chick flicks that I have watched that have brainwashed me. I think I have told you already but I could sit in bed and watch chick flicks all day when I watched P.S. I Love you for the first time I had to use my blanket as my tissue because I could not stop crying it was so sad. There is always the notebook and a walk to remember even though you do not like them bunje I always seem to watch one of them when things may not be going the way I want them to so that they can remind me in my own little perfect world everything will turn out for the better. I think it is pretty obvious that I do believe in true love and some may find it pretty easily while it may take others almost their entire lifetime but it is something I feel to be worth waiting for. Marriage is a big deal to me since my parents are divorced; I have always told myself I will only get married ounce I would rather wait and truly find the person who is truly perfect for me than be married several times and have just wasted whatever amount of time on my life that I was with the wrong person. Finally, yes. I do plan some day after I am done college and am settled into my life I would like to get married and have kids but it is a long while away for me. But, whenever it comes I hope that I will be ready for it.

Sam S said...

Like many people who told me about this book, I find a lot of concept presented in “Brave New World” disturbing. I hate how everyone is created. If I was in a world where everyone was factory made to hate the same things and we all liked each other I would be pretty bored. Why on earth would you want to create everyone? No individuality, just nothing. You would not be your own person. Also I find it disturbing that everyone is always happy. If someone doesn’t experience sorrow or sadness, how can they be “happy”? It could drive me to drink trying to think that out. Than it’s beyond disturbing to me reading about sex, drugs, and whatever else could make me not want to read further. I had to read something with descriptions of sex and drugs before, but never this into it. I hate laying in my bed reading about it. There is not really a reason, it just makes me want to shut the book and not read. (But I can’t do that). As for marriage and monogamy and true love, I believe to a certain extent. I definitely believe in marriage. Marriage to me is something I look forward to. As many girls did or do still today, I used to think about what it would be like to get married when I get older. Than again, marriage has its faults. It does not always last so it’s not very dependant. I think there is someone out there for everyone, but the people who end up alone are just looking for their faults instead of the good attributes. I see that even in high school. People overlook personality for looks. If that wasn’t done, I believe that everyone could have a “significant other”. True love? That’s hard to think about. As I grew up, I always said I do believe in true love. While I’m typing this I think about it harder though. If people who were together truly loved one another, why do they break up, or fight? I think true love only happens to certain people. It’s hard to explain what I’m trying to say though. Marriage to me is going to hopefully be with a person I can’t get enough of. Obviously by the way this blog is going from my view I want to get married. I think it will be an amazing part of my life and something that will fill in a part of me. That is pretty much why I want to get married. It’s like coloring in a picture. Marriage is the last spot to be colored before the next page of my life!

Anonymous said...

To start some of the ideas that are stange and/or disturbing is conditioning. I think that is wrong, weird and very disturbing. The next thing is sleepteaching, that is just creepy and choosing which people are stupid and which are smart is just disturbing. I don't know what I bealive because I'v been so buisy that I haven't had time to really think about it. I don't beleave that their is only one person for every one because if you fall out of love you can fall in love with someone else and sometime even forget about your ex lover because your new lover makes you feel better than your ex. I think there is true love but that you can be confused because you may think you've found your true love but later on you realize that you infact have not. I think it just takes some thinking. Marrige to me means that you love someone so much that you want to spaend the rest of your life with them and will do anything for them. You both will be faithful to eachother and nothing will be able to tear you apart not even the worst tragety. I do not want to get married for a while because I want to secure my job as a forest firefighter or a paid firefighter and continue my education in firefighting and other things which would take up a lot of my time.

melissa gu said...

This book has some craziness in it, but it is somewhat cool just seeing a different world that I’m not used to. Anyway some of the moments in this book that I think is crazy would be the part in the beginning when the tour was going on in the baby making factory. It is crazy because they were making test tube babies also the fact that a lot of people are brothers and sisters and they are sleeping with each other. So creepy! Then there’s the part of the tour that showed the little kids being forced to have sex with each other. So gross! And finally the part when Lenina and Bernard are on a date and Bernard takes Lenina over the channel, Lenina acts so weird when she sees the water and sees how violent it was moving. Just weird! I do believe in marriage, monogamy, and true love, but I don’t believe that they have to be all in the same package. Some people can fall in love with their true love, but they don’t have to get married like my uncle and his girlfriend (who my uncle really loves). My uncle was already married and I guess he thinks marriage isn’t for him which is perfectly fine with his girlfriend. I guess I believe that everyone has one perfect person for them. I think it’s like how everyone has their own set of fingerprints or like some people say that everyone has a doppleganger, like an identical twin that lives somewhere else in the world and is not an actual twin, I think that everyone is assigned to someone before they are born and that person is a part of their soul. So that makes them perfect for each other and the thought that it is destiny to find each other, makes it even more perfect. To me true love goes inside of the idea of having the perfect one, so they share the same meaning. The idea of marriage to me is something special. To me real marriage is something that people who are truly in love do, like my parents, in my mind they found each other like in their destiny and they are perfect for each other. The other kind of marriage I definitely do not believe in, the one that people do when they think they are in love or when they are drunk is not at all special and is somewhat a waste of money and time. I think I would want to get married, but only if I truly am in love with that person otherwise it is a waste.

monet tb said...

First off not being able to not think is way off in my book and not being able to be person makes me upset. This doesn’t seem like an utopia to me. Maybe for the people that like to stay high all the type and to have sex all the time but that life is not for me. I want to be able to do what I want when I want. I cant be no grown women asking another grown women or man if I can have permission to go somewhere but I guess if that’s all I knew. As well I can’t be having my man sleeping with every female or every female sleeping with him or somebody is going to get hurt. And I can’t do the same either because I caught feelings. I don’t or wouldn’t want to just be going to man to the next man. I guess they would call me stingy because I would want to share nothing. I don’t see how they would want someone that been with everybody. They wouldn’t be special any more. Because every body has had that person and knows what there like, so you cant even brag or show off what you have got. And the hole thinking process, wouldn’t you want to think. That’s what makes life interesting and then on top of that when you do think you get in trouble for it. I just got a problem with it all. No I do no think that everyone belongs to everybody. I don’t think you should be sleeping with every cute man that you see or like especially if your in a relationship. Yes I do believe that there is a perfect person for everyone but you just have to find them because they are looking for you. You just don’t never know, even though it is hard because they could b in Africa and you could be in Canada. Marriage mean just what the vowels says. To me is everything and I can’t wait to get married but don’t get me wrong im not trying to rush it or nothing. I think marriage is just as explainable as love.

kyle w said...

There are plenty of disturbing ideas in this book. Perhaps the strangest thing is how everybody shares everybody else. There is no such thing as family or love in the Brave New World. Everybody just gets with whoever they want and there is no long term commitment. There is no such thing as having a baby, instead they manufacture babies in a factory. They build the babies to be in a certain class and to do a certain job. Another strange thing from this book is that all the people in the world take drugs to stay happy, and suppress any bad feelings. Nobody is ever depressed or angry because they just take some soma and those feelings never occur.
The phrase “everybody belongs to everybody else,” does come up a lot in Brave New World and it does go against most traditional beliefs. Things like marriage, monogamy, and true love are discouraged by this phrase. I do believe in all of those things. I do think that someone should search for that one person and fall in love with that person and then eventually marry that person. I do believe that there is a perfect person for everyone, but those two perfect people do not always find each other. I do also believe in marriage, actually marriage is sacred for me. The idea of marriage for me is finding the right person and settling down with that person for the rest of your lives. Marriage also means starting a family. I do, eventually, want to get married with my true love and start a family. I want to do this because I don’t think that you can fully enjoy life unless you have someone to enjoy it with. I also want to have kids, so I would also like to get married for that reason. Still, I can’t see myself getting married for at least ten years because I still want enjoy life before marriage. Although I would not want to live in the Brave New World, it is still cool to see how the world might be in the future.

JordanK said...

Well first off, some of the weird things that's goes on in the bookmis just how the wholenl community is in general.... To us in order to have sex with some one you usually talk to them get to know them date for a while etc.... But in he book you Can merely just look at someone And say hey I wantThat person. Anoter outrageous thigh that goes on in a brave new world is hat the children even at the age of 6 are together and having sexual intercourse like it's Nothing...the phrase everyone belongs to everyone else just messes with my mind because that's craZy...I do believe in true love and and marriage but even though your mArried you still belong to yur self... I belies that there's not just one perfect person for
Someone but I do
Believe that there is always someone for someone out there....and I do believe in true love but it doesn't come easy, it's hard to find....I do some day plan to get married... Marriage to me is to love someone to the fullest and to trust then to the fullest.... Have aomeone u can get
Off your Mind no matter how long you Too are together it never goes away.. I want to get married to experience that emotion, love, it will most likely take me a whirl to findthat special someone........ Please excuse my spelling I'm doing this on my iPod and it's hard:)

Danielle U said...

In brave new world, there are many different ideas and concepts that are both strange and disturbing to me. One main difference that I am really against is the manufacturing of babies. It just doesn't seem right to grow babies in test tubes, let alone adding alcohol to some of the tubes so the babies get fatal alcohol syndrome and are less intelligent than others. Besides that just being cruel, it is just so against the laws of nature to grow babies. They should be naturally be born by their mothers, and be brought up by their parents. Also, having special buildings where they bring up the children all the same way is very wrong. Everyone needs their own parents to teach them their own way of life, not the ideas of the government. One last different idea is that the children having sex at such a young age is so morally wrong. Whoever would have came up with that had to of been psychotic or something, it’s so wrong. I would have to say that yes I do believe in marriage, monogamy, and true love. Yes they are all also antiquated ideas, but they are also the right ways to want to live your life by. Not everyone wants to get married, but when you are with someone you should only be with one person. And although I have not found my true love, I believe in it because I think it’s possible to find the one person you want to spend your life with. But, I would have to say no that there is not only one perfect person for everyone. There is no perfect person for everyone, but they can be perfect for you by how you react to how they act, and accept them for them. The idea of marriage means to me that you’re giving yourself to one person and one person only, through everything, and always being there for each other. In the book it says “everyone belongs to everyone,” which is completely opposite of how I feel. When married you’re only committed to one person, and need to work together the rest of your lives. I would have to say that yes, I do want to get married. Not until after college, but I want to get married because I want to know someone is always there for me, and makes me completely happy, and I also don’t have anyone in my family who is not married. I see marriage as a good thing, although it seems that other people don’t.

Mike said...

When I first read this book a couple of months ago a few things jumped out at me. And one of those things that stuck with me was the idea of a society where "everyone belongs to everyone else". After some time of reflecting it struck me that the creators of the society of the world state did everything they could to remove any meaning from the act of sex. By eliminating the ability to produce a child, sex has no evolutionary or biological purpose. Once the idea of a single partner was removed sex has no significance as the joining of two souls together. That has always been the goal of marriage in a religious context, to join two people so that they are seen as one in the eyes of man and God. I don't actually know what I think of marriage I suppose I'm in favor of it in general I think its often something people rush into, more often than not people get married and then decide very quickly that its not for them. That's not to say most divorce is wrong. Anyway I don't know if I'll ever know whether or not I personally will get married until I do or don't. Even though I don't actually know I can't see it as very likely that I'll ever get married. Its not really that the idea abhors me its just that my personality isn't entirely incompatible with everyone else, I just can't see myself being totally attached to a single person.

Nicole L said...

BRAVE NEW WORLD, ha that’s funny considering the person who wrote this book had to of been brave. This book is just completely wrong, but at the same time uncontrollably entertaining. When I say this book is entertaining I do not mean it in a funny manner, but as I can not stop thinking about this book. For the rest of my life I will think of how the poor innocent babies were shocked just because they were going after beautiful, colorful flowers and educational books. OR maybe the fact about how the babies come from test tubes will haunt me, or how they shoot select bottles with alcohol to make some of the babies have fatal alcohol syndrome, or maybe how some “castes” are conditioned to be dumb. What would a world be without having access to history? I guess what I am trying to say is would history ever repeat itself? There would never be any struggles if we lived as did the people in Brave New World? Would you like this? Would you like going on Soma Holidays? Sure, it may sound great no conflict ever, no heart ache, all you know is happy. BUT no not to me. I wouldn’t change life at all, sure there are a few things I wish I could change like a few dates, or a couple bad grades that I received, but what’s life without the fight. Life is about having emotions and figuring out how to control them. Life is not about being happy everyday. You need struggles sometimes to gain strength in order to overcome situations that might be headed your way. But not in Brave New World there are no struggles, ones individuality. This would not flow to well with me, I am one for individuality. You may look at me and say I look like every other girl in Oak crest; straight hair, make up, fake tan skin, wears name brand clothes, but just because I like what’s in style does not mean I’m not my own person on the inside, I am actually a very deep person if you ever sat down to have a REAL conversation with me. I’m full of NORMAL emotions just as ever other teenager, but there is something different about my emotions there from my own personal experiences. People in Brave New World will never have their “own personal experiences” which is completely wrong to me. OK besides the point of that, the one thing that disturbs me beyond which you could ever imagine is that fact that “everyone belongs to everyone”. When I read this part of the novel I was disgusted. I mean who the heck would want to live in a world where you had sex with everyone all day long. I mean I’m pretty sure we did a project on love and this was not one of anyone’s examples of love. I am a very loving person I want my boyfriend to only be my boyfriend, and that’s how it should be. You should be able to have a very special bond with one person. In this book woman are looked at as meat which is funny considering that what tons of girls in high school are looked upon as, and not to say some live up to it. But in Brave New World it is acceptable I just cannot conceive this. Motherhood is looked at as immoral, which a complete shock is considering my MOM means the world to me. When I read this book it personally makes me think of a concentration camp, and not only that basically this book has everything any normal person would love as wrong such as love, normal sex to have babies, motherhood. These are all things normal humans live their lives to do. I’m not so sure if there is a perfect person for everyone because say you got married and you thought that person was perfect but 10 years down the road you realized that person was the total opposite. At one point in time YES you did believe they were perfect for you but they weren’t. Basically I believe no one is “perfect” for each other love is not about finding someone who is identical to you its about adapting to each others differences. In a relationship or marriage you are not always going to see eye to eye, but if you and that person can honestly not get along do not get married you’re going to cause yourself a massive amount of pain, and an empty wallet when divorce rolls around. I do not mean to sound rude because yes some people do have to go through divorce and it is the hardest thing ever I’m a child of divorce. Love is a hard thing and we tend to stay with people because we are scared of change and I am not saying I am not one of these people because yes I am guilty of this. But I think high school relationships and marriage are to completely different things and cannot be ranked together. When you marry someone you are giving yourself to them, you are basically owned. Of course you still have some freedoms, but just remember marriage is a life long decision. When choosing who to marry try and make sure this is the one, and trust me I believe you will know if it’s the one. You can’t marry someone because you are scared of change because trust me no matter what there is always someone else out there, disagree or agree that’s my belief. No matter what when you think there is no one else out there, in reality there are probably hundreds of other people just like you thinking the same thing. And maybe there is true love I know a few people who have been together since high school and still are happily married and I give them a great amount of respect, and I find it precious. And maybe some people just rush into marriage to soon because they are scared to be along. Maybe it takes some longer then other to find true love. I’m not going to put all my business out on here, but I have had my share of relationships believe it or not I’m in love and it’s a scary thing. And yes I want to get married, and have a beautiful family and I always have felt this way, I’m just completely startled by the thought of divorce which is why you must choose who you want to marry wisely. I disagree with the fact of not moving in or having sex before marriage just for the sheer fact you need to know everything about the person you are going to marry. I mean living with someone is totally different then just seeing someone day to day that’s when you see a true lifestyle of a person. Marriage is not an easy decision but when the time comes I am confident in myself I will make the right decision.

Anonymous said...

To start, I do not believe everyone belongs to everyone else. I am my own man. I do not want to belong to anyone else. No matter who they are. I do not care if you are m mother or my father. I am my own man, I do what I want, I belong to no one. I belong to myself. One thing I do not like is people telling me what to do. If they are older or something I will only obey as a sign of respect. If I'm not happy with what they are telling me to do I will refuse with a strong negative feedback. Especially if that person is like me. I hate when someone tries to tell me what to do. It is one of the strongest pet peeves of my life. I just don't like the feeling of someone controlling me. It makes me mad on the inside. Even when my mom would tell me something completely crazy I will argue back. I may not get my way but proving her wrong is like an accomplishment.
I really don't know if there is only one person in the world for you. The reason why is probably because there are so many people in the world, which makes it a lot of people you can relate to as much as you could with this one and only person. I do believe in true love. The idea that there is someone that you can just love unconditionally forever. not all love is true. People might just like you for who you are. For example, they might just like you for fame, looks, or potential. Their love is no where near true. By reading these past couple it sounds like I believe that there is only one person for everyone. Sooooo, I guess I do believe in that. The idea of marriage is kind of big for me. You can't just get married to a person, which is what most people like celebrities are doing. You have to know for sure that you can be with this person for the rest of your life. There is also the religious/sacred part of marriage, but I'm not really that big on that part, at least not yet I guess. In time through life I would like to get married. Why would I not? I do not want to go through my whole life being lonely. I need someone to talk to for the rest of my life. And later on I will to old to just be dating people. It would seem disgusting.

1BrianL said...

I would like to believe there are two people out there that are made for each other and should only be with each other. It seems perfect that two people who learn about each other, and grow up as one so that they can can be one forever. I like the idea of that. To me that is true love, if you learn about someone and can stand them for years and years and feel that one on one connection at all times then that is true love. Also I believe if you die around the same time frame as that person it is true love, becuase you cannot live without that person, or that person took a part of you with them. That is really true love, and that is the way I want to go, because really our one main purpose I feel is to be one with the oppsite sex, and once one of them dies, so does the other. I would like to get married and have a wonderful relationship, not onew that doesnt involve fights, I feel fights are the backbone of a solid relationship. I would a marriage that is simple, and my wife and I can live through the time where money is always available, and times when it's not. I's like to never have to worry about money, but the reality is I will have to. Getting married would make me happy, coming home from work and looking forward to sleeping next to someone warm or having them make some kind of cake. I would look mostly forward to the sleep part, and I wouldn't have to worry about being cold in the middle of the night becuase i could just slide over and take advantage of some body heat. Until I get kicked away for being too cold atleast. Yeah I would enjoy marriage, atleast until we had kids, and then the kids got older, that never seems like it can be any kind of fun. I know what I've done and chances are when i have kids it's going to be 1890796 times worse, and I'm not even bad. The dying part is hard to think about, but whether it's young or old, I'll know if I was truly in love if my wife and I die at the same time, or within like a year. That to me seems like we lived as one, then died as one.

Anonymous said...

The book is very different. It is weird that people are on like an assembly line. That is why they worship Henry Ford because he created the assembly line. The story started off weird when they were in that factory. The factory was were they made babies at. It also is crazy how all the people are on a drug called soma. They basically walk around like mind less zombies. The government also banned literature so the people don't read. They want all the people to be the same. There isn't any individuality in the new world. A weird fact is that in this civilization they arent allowed to have babies. They have take something like a birth control pill. I think they did this so there wouldn't be any birth defects, Mostly everyone in this civilization is related some how.They have a lot of sex at a young age. They don't just date one person they date multiply people. It is weird if u date or have sexual intercourse with just one person. The government in the book is like a dictatorship. The all listen to the master or the controller. His name is Mustafa. He knows where the forbidden books are. Nobody but him knows of them but don't know where they are. I don't believe in the quote that "everyone belongs to everyone else." No I don't believe that there is only one perfect person for someone. People can mesh and find multiple people that the have interest in. Like people say "There is other fish in the sea." I don't say this but i heard it on TV. I don't believe in true love or love at first sight. I think that is so stupid. How can you love somebody at first sight. How can u find a true love?? What if you don't find that person in the world. If you don't find that person wont you be lonely. Marriage means a lot to me. Its hard for me to just see myself with one girl for the rest of my life. I have to really like that young lady. It means that we get along and we seriously love each other. Yes I do want to get married. I do after I graduate college. I don't however want to be forced to get married. By force I mean if she gets pregnant or something on the lines of that.

Anonymous said...

“Everyone belongs to everyone.” That’s just a messed up statement period especially when it is being used in reference to sex. We are human beings not just slabs of meat just waiting to be taken or “haved” as they say in Brave New World. Although at least the people in the book have a choice in whom they hook up with. You still can’t see people as just items. They are people and they have the same feelings as you and me. Another thing that really bothers me is the disgust that Leinia had towards the people on the reservation. Just because these people are different doesn’t mean that their not people and that’s just something that they have obviously not been taught. I believe in true love. I hope that there is someone out there who will love me unconditionally and who I can trust. I think that that might just be my number one issue. I want to get married but I’m worried. I want to wait until I am for sure stationed in the US because I really want to be pararescue strait out of the air force academy and that means that if all goes as planned I’ll most likely be stationed in Iraq. If that happens and I’m on like a year tour I’m just afraid that my wife would cheat on me because I’m not there to comfort her. That doesn’t stop me from believing that the thought of marriage is a bad thing. By all means I think it is a great thing and I can’t wait to tie the knot and I might even fine a women who will wait around for me while I’m away protecting my country. I think that they should have marriage and families in Brave New World like they did in The Giver. Just because your married doesn’t mean that you have to have kids you could just be the people who raise the children. Which is another thing that I really can’t wait to do is be a father. I just hope that I have a chance to do that. I really don’t like any of the hypnopaedic slogan or whatever just because they go against everything that I have been taught to believe in since I was a small boy. Like ending is better than mending because me and my father always fix things when they break.

Pete D. said...

Hmmm…. Hypopǽdic phrases. Evil or not? I would have to say that if you want to brainwash everyone into following what you want them to and have complete stability in society, then yes Hypopǽdia is an awesome idea. However, it can obviously completely change the way society works such as in the book with the ideas of motherhood/parenthood, marriage, love and thinking for yourself, which to me ridding the world of all of these things is something I can’t imagine living without. I like the idea of all of those things so I guess I can say I do in fact believe in the ideas that are depicted as antediluvian in the book. I feel as though these things are meaningful and important to the world we live in today even if they were the cause of pandemonium and the 9 year war which occurs in the book. As for there being that one perfect person for everybody… well I do agree that somewhere out there in the world there is someone who is ideal for you no matter who you are. Yet, at the same time I don’t believe that it is limited to only one person, I mean considering there is a good 6,706,993,152 people and then some on this world I’d say that the odds of there being more than one person for everyone. Avoiding taking that so literally, yes I will say that we all have the opportunity to find someone for us and when or if we ever find them I also believe that the event of “True Love” is capable of taking place, whatever that may really be.

To me marriage can mean one of three things. Someone gets married for the others’ money, Two people get married because they think they are truly in love, that is until they begin living with eachother, or begin cheating on each other, etc. then it falls apart, and the third being what seems to be a rare even these days is the match made in heaven. In the third the two people really are in love and are meant to be together for the rest of their existence and this is most definitely the hardest to achieve, so I would have to say even for myself I think it will be pretty damn near impossible to achieve the last one. Yet, I still hope for the best in my future and I do indeed want to get married at some point in my life but I don’t really have a goal for the age of this occurrence since I wouldn’t want to rush something so serious, and by serious I mean expensive.

Vincent Q said...

One of the most disturbing parts of Brave New World is when they shock the babies. They use negative reinforcement to teach the babies not to like books or nature but shocking them every time they crawled to the items. This I found very disturbing because its just a baby and has no idea what is going on. Its just crawling to the flower or book because it’s a nice color or something, it wasn’t going to read it or anything. So I just thought this was very wrong and very hard to read
The idea about how everyone belongs to everyone idea I did not like. At first everyone’s like yea we would get all the girls! But imagine having the girl you like just sleeping with one of your friends or something. As soon as that happens you would be mad and would like the way anymore. I do believe there is one perfect person for someone. Once you have found a person you love with all of your heart and if you would die for that person you have found your sole mate. I know I found the perfect person for me and its my girlfriend. Every time I’m not with my girlfriend all I want to do is be with her and when I am with her I can never have enough. I love her with all of my heart and I know the feelings I have for her and I know she was meant to be with me.
True love to me is not the regular kind of love you have for your mom or dad it’s the love of someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with. True love is knowing the person you are with is the one for you and is the person your going to marry. I know I found true love and it’s the best feeling I have ever had. I am no longer afraid of anything because in the end I know ill always have my girlfriend to love and that’s all that matters to me.
Marriage to me means that your done wanting to date people and done being able to do what you want. Being married means that you have to love your wife with all of your heart for the rest of your life. You have to be ready to have kids and be a good parent. Being married also means that you will not always get your way and sometimes when your bad your wife will make you sleep on the couch downstairs. I do want to get married some day because I know I can love someone for as long as I live and I know I can stay true to that person and always be there for them. Also if I have kids I know ill be a good Dad to them and always stick by them



488 Words!!!!
(thats 88 over the requirement!)

Niah Grimes said...

Yes we definitely can all agree that the book in its entirety is disturbing. One of the things that disturb me the most besides the fact that they shock the poor babies during conditioning, or produce humans on an assembly line, it’s the fact that they took away the ability to think, as far as have time to think and question. I like thinking, I like being curious, I like questioning things, and if you take that away what’s left? This society has turned everyone into brainwashed psychos. The society is sick. I cherish the nights spent in my room laying on my bed listening to music, thinking about my future, my friends, life questions that I want answers to. And they don’t have that, in fact they frown upon being alone. Sometimes people get on your damn nerves, if I didn’t have alone time I would be a serial killer, I am serious. I think it’s sad and the “controllers” are evidently on drugs, oh yea soma!
Now to answer the question, I’m a tad unsure about whether there is only one person for you, it changes from time to time. But I am sure that everyone DOES NOT belong to everyone. It’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard. How would I be valuable if I belong to everyone, if guys could have me whenever they desired, psh NO! And I’m such a territorial person which some people mistaken for jealousy, but it’s not jealousy I just like having people to myself sometimes I don’t want to share. Especially my man! I take commitment and monogamy extremely serious anyone who knows me will tell you that. If your talking to me then you do not talk to other girls on that level. If you are with me you will be with no one else. And its more than being territorial I just think that when you love and care for a person than you should have respect to stay committed to that person. It means less if you’re with me and her and Susie down the street, it detracts from our love.
That’s why marriage is something that should be taken seriously and in today’s world it’s not look at the divorce rate. I hate cheaters. When you make that promise to someone it’s a promise that should never be broken, if you cannot keep that promise you don’t need to be getting married. It bothers me to think that society could ever become a brave new world.

michaelc said...

Yes, there are many different ideas and concepts in Brave New World that strange and disturbing. First I would not want to be genetically selected or even live in a world like that. It seems so boring. It may be childish but it reminds me of the episode of Spongebob where Squidward moves into a town and everyone looks alike and repeats the same activities every day. The way people go around sleeping with each other is pretty dirty. I wouldn't want a girl I like to just go around sleeping with everyone she pleases. It seems like there is no love in this world.
I do not like the idea of everyone belonging to everyone else. Nothing means anything. There is really no point. You will be alone with no spouse forever. So I guess I lean towards the idea of true love. True love is special. You always want to be with that person and when you are with them it's almost heaven. True love isn't just typical love. It is something almost unexplainable. When you have true love your whole life can change. Also, you know you have true love when you are 80 years old looking old and saggy but in each other's eyes nothing has changed. Looks can't be the base of your relationship because as I stated when you are old what are you going to do? True love is the greatest kind of friendship you can have.
I don't really know if I believe that everyone has one perfect person that is meant for them. It's mind boggling on how you would find that person. With all the people in the world I just don't think I can believe that there is ONE perfect person for everyone. If that were the case it would be such a hard concept to grasp to me.
Marriage is important to many people but an almost pointless thing. I know that it is tradition and everyone wants to have that great big wedding (maybe not me), but if you love and trust that person what is the point in getting married? Money? Getting married just makes you legal and makes you stuck with that person. If something happened where you did not want to be with that person anymore you would now have to go through a stressful, complicated divorce ($$$). Some people say that marriage brings out the true personality in a person and ruins relationships. I don't know but in my opinion marriage isn't too big of a deal. Maybe my opinion will change some day, who knows?

Roodly A said...

Brave New World. this is the craziest book i have ever read, but i am intrested in it for some reason, its a good book, but there somethings i dont like about it. i hate the fact that you cant have a mother in this book, i cant picture me with out my mom i love my mom so much, if i was in this book i would be mad becausae i would want my mom to raise me right, raise me to be a gentelmen, care for me, talk to me when ever i need here, teach me how to write, or teach me how to read like how linda taught her son john how to read in the book. i feel sorry for john because his mom turned into a drunky, shje drinks everyday, sleeps with anyone, and she became ugly. i also dont like the fact that you cant love anyone in this book, life is all about love. i would want someone to my own some one i can make babies with, some one to cuddle with, and someone i can have to myself. everybody is goin around having sex with anyone i men i know most guys like that and iam not going to front i wouldnt like thayt because i would want a girl to myself i would want no one else messing with her because ill get mad but in this book you cant get mad. also they are all made in a factory and they are all brothers and sisters well most of them because they are in different cast, but still its nasty. i do believe that there is a perrfect someone for everybody. all you have to do is wait and your true love will find you or you will find your true love unless you dont want to love anybody but if you give it a chance you will definitely find the perfect some one for yourself. in life all you need is truew love nothing else not money, power, or anything i rather true love than anything, once you find your soulmate youll be the happiest person in the world, your going to feel powerful and everything. once i find my soul mate i am getting married, and i think that marrirage is a great idea because thats when you start a new life, youleave the past alone and start fresh because you will soon have family, a family that you will love and cherish. i cant wait until i get married. i want 2 kids a boy and a girl and i am goint to love them for ever, iam got to make sure that i raised them good enough so they can know whats right from wrong and show them the way of life, i want them to know that school is every thing and they can be anything they want when they grow up. i cant wait until i have babies, until i have a wife i can come home to everyday and sleep on the same bed after work.

jesskeating. said...

When I first started reading this book, I just thought it was going to be another one of those lame books that we are forced to read because well, it is school and English class after all. I actually am really getting into this book because of how unpredictable it is and out there that I’m actually focusing all my attention on a school novel instead of juggling back and forth between a book of my choice and the forced one. Besides the obviously disturbing events that take place in this book, as in everyone has everyone, test tube babies, conditioning, and soma, I find that the Savage Reservoir is actually really disturbing. It’s an uncivilized zoo of people. They are just secluded and are like mice in a maze with no exit. I don’t know. I’m still not sure why they even keep the “savages” instead of killing them because it just seems like a waste of space and effort to keep it organized and lockdown. It would seem to be easier just to off everyone and everything that seems different in anyway.
Of course I believe in marriage and true love. Do I believe that everyone will find the one right off the bat? Of course not. I have always believed that everyone has a soul mate, but many people are blinded and often believe they have found it when really, they are just interfering with someone else’s soul mate. It’s all just a big game and that is why divorce comes in; it’s all a rush and they are blinded by the light. Love is not hard to find, but true love is. When you find that person who thinks you look like a runway model in your best dress with makeup on, after rolling around in mud from flag football, and when your eyes are all swollen and your face is red from crying all night, you hold onto that. It is hard to find someone who means all the little important gestures. I believe the whole purpose of marriage is just to finalize and seal that there is no one else that you both would want in your lives and that you believe you cannot live without this person. Personally, I think that if people were really true with their partner then they wouldn’t need marriage because both would already know it is only them in each other’s hearts. I do want to get married though. Have the gorgeous wedding, the flowing dress, family, and all that comes with it. Even though I know that when I am ready to get married, I will be true to that man, but I would still want it finalized and set in stone (hopefully never divorce). Sometimes it feels like marriage s just another step in life that I’m suppose to take.

williama said...

First off this book is defiantly a strange one. There are so many things that just aren’t right about it. Everywhere you look there is something disturbing going on. Things that I found disturbing were that everyone was made in factories and there were no real relationships. I think that is wrong and is bad for society. It’s just not right in my eyes. I think that babies should be born the natural way. It gives more meaning to life. The people could still be promiscuous if they wanted to, but if they decided to have a kids at least do it the right way. Another thing that I really found disturbing was when they shocked the babies. I understand them not wanting them to read or anything but why shock the babies. That scars them for like and just isn’t right. They don’t know what they are doing at that age. They are just crawling around and happen to see the book or flower and it appeals to them so they head toward it only to be randomly shocked out of no where. The idea of everyone belonging to everyone is not to appealing to me. I don’t think I would be comfortable knowing that if I was with a girl that tomorrow she could be wit a friend or a family member. It’s kind of disturbing because you wouldn’t know where they are or what that person was doing. I do think that there is that perfect person for everyone out there. It’s just the fact that you have to find them and you never know how long it will take and if you will ever find them. I do believe in true love. I think that it is found and built up over time. You can not just find it in a day. You have to give it time and let it develop wit someone that you care about deeply. In a way I think that true love finds you. Its not something that you can control it just happens to you. Marriage to me means that you have found what you are looking for. You are ready to settle down and do the things important to you. It’s when you have found that special someone and you are positive that you could not want anyone else. I think that I do want to get married one day. I hope to find that person that completes my life.

John L. said...

In the brave new world there are many concepts that have popped up that are very disturbing. One of which is the second part of this blogg question. The one aspect of the book that bothers me the most is the hypnopaedic phrase “everyone belongs to everyone else”. This quote totally negates any possibly personal connection with any one person. Whether it is a friendship, love for a family member, or lover for a lover. The reason this bothers me the most is because I can’t imagine not having an emotional relationship of any kind with another human being. Not caring for another is something that totally goes against my personality. Another aspect of this book that just doesn’t seem right to me is the fact that human beings are bred, bred just as we breed animals such as dogs, horses etc. and the fact that women are no longer mothers in this society is a little disturbing, only because I do believe that we as a culture hold women in high regard and with greater respect (or at least we should).

“Everyone belongs to everyone else” is again the one aspect of this book that bothers me the most. I am somewhat of a personable guy and enjoy getting to know people on all different levels and for me not to be able to do that is a horrendous idea. Because I do believe in all of these “antiquated” ideas this also makes this phrase a little hard to digest. I believe in marriage, monogamy, and true love…sort of. Tue love is the only shaky idea that I cannot fully believe in. I believe that one person can love another but in no way shape or form will it be TRUE love. It will absolutely never be perfect because humans are not perfect, we are flawed and so are emotions. So I guess by saying that I answered the next question, there is not only one perfect person for everyone, there isn’t even one. There can be many very near perfect persons or people for someone but never completely perfect. Marriage to me, represents two people that love each other enough to spend the rest of their life with one and other. Me personally, I do want to get married someday because I have always wanted a family and the chance to be a better father than my own.

marcus m said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marcus m said...

The strangest idea in Brave New World has to be their view on drugs. In that society a recreational drug is not only ok with them but everyone takes it. They take soma at any time in the day. The worst idea of their's is how they teach people to hate nature. They start drilling that dislike for flowers and other things in nature into them as children. How in the world could you not like nature.The said that nature does not help with consuming. These people are missing out on the beauty of nature.I think that it is so odd that the people that they refer to as savages seem to be just like the way we act now. The savage Reservations that they have in New Mexico seem to be as normal as any state in America now. I don't in any way agree with the hypnopaedic phrase everyone belongs to everyone. I believe in marriage, monogamy, and true love. I have always believed that marriage is a sacred thing that should be shared between two people that believe they love each other. True love has to be real. There has to be that one special person for everyone. I can't believe that there are people who are meant to be alone. I know that there is someone for me weather she is in the next classroom down the hallway or ten light years into the future, she is somewhere. The case has to be the same for everyone else in the world. We all have that perfect person for us. The person is not perfect to other people, but when you see that special person they seem perfect in your eyes. I really want to get married about twenty years from now. I much rather the idea of going home everynight and seeing my wife when I step through the door. The idea of growing old with my special lady sounds great to me. These choices are better than the alternative. I don't like the idea of being in my home by my self. Not having that one person to wake up and see in the morning when you turn to the right.I guess that I just can't stand the idea of being by myself for the entire rest of my life, because there is no one out there for me.

marcus m said...

The strangest idea in Brave New World has to be their view on drugs. In that society a recreational drug is not only ok with them but everyone takes it. They take soma at any time in the day. The worst idea of their's is how they teach people to hate nature. They start drilling that dislike for flowers and other things in nature into them as children. How in the world could you not like nature.The said that nature does not help with consuming. These people are missing out on the beauty of nature.I think that it is so odd that the people that they refer to as savages seem to be just like the way we act now. The savage Reservations that they have in New Mexico seem to be as normal as any state in America now. I don't in any way agree with the hypnopaedic phrase everyone belongs to everyone. I believe in marriage, monogamy, and true love. I have always believed that marriage is a sacred thing that should be shared between two people that believe they love each other. True love has to be real. There has to be that one special person for everyone. I can't believe that there are people who are meant to be alone. I know that there is someone for me weather she is in the next classroom down the hallway or ten light years into the future, she is somewhere. The case has to be the same for everyone else in the world. We all have that perfect person for us. The person is not perfect to other people, but when you see that special person they seem perfect in your eyes. I really want to get married about twenty years from now. I much rather the idea of going home everynight and seeing my wife when I step through the door. The idea of growing old with my special lady sounds great to me. These choices are better than the alternative. I don't like the idea of being in my home by my self. Not having that one person to wake up and see in the morning when you turn to the right.I guess that I just can't stand the idea of being by myself for the entire rest of my life, because there is no one out there for me.

Bill R said...

This new world has some very strange concepts such as the normality of making a large number of identical twins in a baby factory and predetermining their lives based on the way they are produced. The next strange thing is the promiscuity of society. There’s no relationships, no marriages, just a lot of sex with the absent of any passion or emotions. Drugs really aren’t that uncommon in our society today, but the fact that these drugs are distributed by the government to control people from having individual thought is very strange and somewhat scary. The fact that this world is completely controlled in every aspect for “stability” is a strange aspect ye it’s an aspect that makes sense. I feel like this world could actually be a possible scenario if everyone could be convinsed into taking soma. It seems like it would function well even though everything is basically artificial and people don’t even have the freedom to think.
The phrase “everyone belongs to everyone else” just displays the promiscuity of this new civilization. I don’t believe in this statement even though it is a good representation of the “stability” of the new world because if everyone belongs and is friendly with everyone else then there is no tension, no grudges, and no fighting. I don’t really agree with the thought that after marriage one person belongs to another either. That thought may seem romantic and by not agreeing with it I’m not trying to say that true love doesn’t exist, but I think that everyone belongs to themselves and by saying that they belong to someone else just seems to put too much possessiveness in the hands of another. If someone loves someone else and has enough trust in them then they should by all means devote their love to that person, but that doesn’t mean that they should belong to them. Sometimes passion dies and sometimes people crave more which may cause them to want a divorce which in my opinion is acceptable. They belong to themselves and even though they may love someone else they should put themselves first, because I believe that individual happiness is one of the most important things in live.
As for soul mate, I don’t think that there is the perfect person for everyone. I believe that when we find someone who we find attractive who we are socially compatible with and that person feels the same way then that’s a couple that will work and a couple that could stay together and in love until death parts them. I do one day wish to get married but not for a while. I want to make sure that the person I’m with is the right one and I want to be able to accomplish a lot of my goals before a serious relationship or marriage makes it so I can’t.

Bill R said...

This new world has some very strange concepts such as the normality of making a large number of identical twins in a baby factory and predetermining their lives based on the way they are produced. The next strange thing is the promiscuity of society. There’s no relationships, no marriages, just a lot of sex with the absent of any passion or emotions. Drugs really aren’t that uncommon in our society today, but the fact that these drugs are distributed by the government to control people from having individual thought is very strange and somewhat scary. The fact that this world is completely controlled in every aspect for “stability” is a strange aspect ye it’s an aspect that makes sense. I feel like this world could actually be a possible scenario if everyone could be convinsed into taking soma. It seems like it would function well even though everything is basically artificial and people don’t even have the freedom to think.
The phrase “everyone belongs to everyone else” just displays the promiscuity of this new civilization. I don’t believe in this statement even though it is a good representation of the “stability” of the new world because if everyone belongs and is friendly with everyone else then there is no tension, no grudges, and no fighting. I don’t really agree with the thought that after marriage one person belongs to another either. That thought may seem romantic and by not agreeing with it I’m not trying to say that true love doesn’t exist, but I think that everyone belongs to themselves and by saying that they belong to someone else just seems to put too much possessiveness in the hands of another. If someone loves someone else and has enough trust in them then they should by all means devote their love to that person, but that doesn’t mean that they should belong to them. Sometimes passion dies and sometimes people crave more which may cause them to want a divorce which in my opinion is acceptable. They belong to themselves and even though they may love someone else they should put themselves first, because I believe that individual happiness is one of the most important things in live.
As for soul mate, I don’t think that there is the perfect person for everyone. I believe that when we find someone who we find attractive who we are socially compatible with and that person feels the same way then that’s a couple that will work and a couple that could stay together and in love until death parts them. I do one day wish to get married but not for a while. I want to make sure that the person I’m with is the right one and I want to be able to accomplish a lot of my goals before a serious relationship or marriage makes it so I can’t.

Mel said...

this whole book seems very strange to me and i don’t agree with most of it, but it is interesting. I don’t like how no one has any respect for them self and no commitment they just have sex with whoever they want. i also don’t like how there is a factory that makes babies and how they choose who there going to be before they can even decide. They are all cloned and things are injected to either slow down or speed up the process. This makes some babies smarter then others. Everyone is in there different clique and they are categorized by intelligence and that determines how well they are treated throughout the rest of their life and its not fair because none of them ever had a chance. I found it very disturbing when they took these babies and whenever they got close to a book or flowers they would get shocked. I know they said they weren’t doing it to intestinally be mean to them just to teach they but still didn’t seem right to me. there is no individuality everyone is the same and i don’t like that. everyone belongs to everyone else is a interesting quote, and to an extent i think that this is true. i do believe in marriage and marriage is pretty much giving yourself to another person. this doesn’t mean that you aren’t your own person though. both partners should both equally give there all to each other without losing there self. I do believe that there is a perfect person for everyone, but finding them could take a lifetime and maybe never will. everyone has different tastes and personalities that they find attractive. true love is hard to find and whose to say if it is or not. no one will ever know what true love is until they experience it for themselves. The idea of marriage is just another title but to me it means that they both want to be with each other for the rest of their lives and they don’t ever want to be with anyone else. it is a huge step in a relationship to show that one person how much they really mean to them. i do wish to get married someday because i like the feeling of having someone there all the time i like to have someone there everyday to care for.