Monday, April 13, 2009

Ch-Ch-Changes....

It has been said that teenagers poised on the precipice of adulthood have two fundamental fears: 1, the idea of change and/or 2, the possibility of making the "wrong" choice.
Now, I know that there are plenty of people who will tell me that the idea of change, especially if it includes a change of scenery from sunny Mays Landing/Mullica to just about anywhere else would be welcomed with open arms and a huge, block-lettered sign.
But, despite the "senioritis" (which has no known medical impliaction by the way)that you have all felt creeping in on you, you have to admit that, at its core, change is a scary proposition. After all, the intrinsic nature of change is that of the unknown, the unchartered, the unfamiliar and the unrevealed.
So, if you are one of the restless souls who yearns for change--what is it about it that is so appealing to you? What do you hope the changes you want to seek out, to undergo or to witness will mean for you, your future, your life? On the other hand, if you are one who double locks the door when change comes a-knockin', tell me what it is about the prospect of it that fightens you. What do you think might happen?

Now, one of Change's many dance partners is Choice. Right/wrong, smart/stupid, bad/ good..choice exists and you are confronted with the notion of it every single day. Sometimes, these are choices of epic proportions--break-up or stay together; cheat or suck it up and take a zero; confront the back-stabbing friend or let it go; get high just this once or walk away never knowing; and sometimes it can be as inconsequential as chicken patty or PB&J.
Either way, your mind has a process it undergoes when you have to make a choice. Tell me about it. Do your weigh all your options and consider possible outcomes, or do you dive in and hope the water isn't too cold? I think I am mix-metaphoring myself into a corner here--but I know you know what I mean. When you are confronted with a choice--how do you make it? Do you seek advice from anyone in particular? Rely solely on your wits? Why?
(450 words/75pts)

41 comments:

BlakeR said...

Change, I hate that word, but then i also like it. I get very board when i am doing something over and over and over again, so i never keep the same thing going. But in more important look at life, I am very scared of change. I i scared of not hanging out with the same people and not seeing them for years to come. I miss the days when everyone would be willing to do everything and anything, but things changed up on everyone and screwed it all up. I just do not like it happening after everything i just came to love and learn about leaves, It kills me. I think that ten years form now or even less than that that everyone is going to be different including myself that is why changing frightens me. That is why i am trying to stay around Mays Landing as much as possible and do not want to go away. I liked the way things used to be when my brothers did not have to work or hang out with their girl friend twenty four seven. i think that is why i do not want change to happen to me. Even though people leave there would always be memories and good times. I believe that i am going to suck it up and face the fact that change is inevitable around the world and its going to happen to everyone.

When i come across a choice it depends on how important it is and hat i have to do to make it. If it's a life or death choice between family and what not i take all the time i have to make that final choice. But if it is a silly choice like what team i would want to play with in madden i make a quick one. But when its a tough one i mainly try to figure it out on my own. I look as it makes me a smarter person because i choose my own fate with out getting other peoples advice. I do not always do it on my own and when i dont i ask my older brother jeff. He knows a lot about everything i want to know, He sorta what i would want to be when i am his age. Making a good choice and a bad choice i think have the same pros and cons. even a bad choice can turn out to be a good one because you can learn from your mistakes. even though not everyone does. If people always rely on some one or something to make a choice for them, its not going to be easy for them to make one on their own when the time comes. Not everyone that you rely on stays around for ever.

ash tharp said...

well i quess its time to be ready for change well i believe that i am ready to leave high school and move right on in to college but i am not sure if i am ready to leave nj to go to college but the thing is that i don't have the chance to have that change. i made the top 15 percent to go to accc for free so for the best for me i am going to take the opportunity to go to accc. at accc they have one of the best culinary programs in the united states. but i don't know if i would be scared to move out of state, that change could deffently make me nervous. if i think what would scare me is that i wouldn'
t have my parent to have my back i need to defend myself in all aspects of college by getting my butt up for class because that is a big issue for me. i can sleep right through an alram clock so that would be one change thzat i would deffently need to handle at the begginning. the next big thing that a change would be that teacherd don't look for you to get the notes or make up a test, you need to get on check by yourself by not missing school and going to your classes.
in life already were are given choices and i am well known to make some wrong and rights but the thing for me is that when i make wrong mistakes they are usually huge mistakes. i told you many thing that i have done wrong bunje and yes i might hate what i ahve done but i learned form tyou that i can't be ashamed of them just take them in and make the next time i got the choice to make it right. but when it comes to how to make choices i am in the middle. becasue i can remeber that i made quick decision by going on the gut. you know that intense feeling that it makes you warm in side that it will be good for you but i won't lie my gut has been wrong before. but i also sit down and make the little list on con and pros on the situation i am dealing with at the time. but there is time that i don't know if my mind is the best one to get an answer from so i do ask my mom or my cousin shannan who is like a sisiter to me she has done everything pretty much from anything imaginable for wrong and right. but to me they help me see what i din't and it helps me feel better that i got someone opinion first before i could of made the wrong decision. plus i love and trust them with all my heart that thye wouldn't guide me down the wrong path.
oh hell no,i don't only rely on my wits i rely on many thing that i already told you. but if you don't know that is right for you then you shouldn't be doing it that is all i got to say.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Change, whether insignificant or earth shattering is an essential part of the human experience, admittedly one that the mere prospect of is enough to cause me to quiver with fear. Well maybe not actual fear but I am at least apprehensive by the thought of change. Fortunately more often than not my apprehension is totally misplaced; the change is usually for the better. For me the biggest problem I have with change is its association with the unknown, which as I mentioned in my fear blog has been the root of most human fear for the entire existence of the whole human race. I would like to add further that the key to adjusting to change seems to be finding an element of familiarity. There is a comfort to be found in things that are known and can easily be responded to, change by its very nature rocks the foundations of all that is familiar. Take for example the transition between middle and high school, which I had dreaded for most of the summer before. I feared the idea that all of my familiarity with how my education would be lost upon my arrival September of freshman year. Needless to say I realized that it was barely different than middle school. This always happens; when I sense a change I worry over it afterwards it turns out to have been for the better. Despite the fact that I have seen evidence that change is usually for the good and if not totally beneficial then there is at least some benefit to it, I still continue to worry myself over the thought of impending change. This doesn’t mean I despise change, I realize its necessity and in some rare cases happily anticipate it, but there is always a small voice reminding me of the lure of the familiar. And so I will continue to agonize over the fact that next year I will find myself living far away from home, facing an uncertain future almost entirely separate from the life I've been living for the past seventeen years. The rational part of me says that although the magnitude of the change is greater I'll adjust fine, but I can't help that part of me that says I won't adapt to the change and will be miserable and wretched for the rest of my life.
My attitude toward choices is a little different; depending on the magnitude of the choice my approach varies. I find myself prone to overanalyze insignificant decisions and then completely ignore the analysis merely to end the stress and agony over the decision. As much as I try to reason out the best choice I find myself making choices not based on what would remotely be the best but whatever is more convenient for the moment. In contrast to the changes in my life I often regret those choices not because I made the ‘wrong’ choice merely because I am constantly plagued by what-might-have-beens. Of course this is usually only for inconsequential choices, and it is only temporary, for major life decisions I skip the agonizing and jump straight to the snap decisions and oddly enough there are fewer of those choices that I find myself actively regretting.

JessL said...

I guess I could say that I’m one of those people who yearns for change. Maybe not yearn, but I welcome it nonetheless. It’s appealing because I like new things. I love trying new food and new people and it’s fun. So change is just one of those new events that I like to experiment with and try some new technique I may have concoction up in my head for when the time comes. I don’t really think of me seeking out change. I think change finds a person. I don’t necessarily want to seek change, I just let it come to me and then deal with it when it gets here. I do hope that the changes I undergo with be beneficiary to me. I hope I’m able to tame the changes in my favor and let it help me along my journey. If it’s a bad change, then I hope I learn a certain experience from it and grow some more dignity or self-accomplishment from overcoming it. Change is important. It keeps me on my toes and lets my explore life. It spreads open my mind and I don’t know why, but it just feels good. Like basking in the sun, I enjoy basking in change. There a sort of thrill I gain with new things or changes.
I am a constant worrier and of course I weigh most options before I make a choice. I may not come up with all possible outcomes, but I do go through much thinking processes before I make a decision. It’s frustrating because it just confuses me even more and sometimes I wish I could just know how a choice will go and not have to think about it. However, when I try to do that, it always ends up in a bad result, so I just continue my thinking process and option weighing unfortunately. Sometimes I even come up with crazy scenarios and I can’t even make the decision or choice. I back out or try to forget about it because I grow afraid or paranoid easily. Usually when I’m confronted with a choice, I let it marinate for awhile. I don’t like to make my choices right away. I always have to have time to think about what I’m doing. I don’t think it’s because I’m slow. I just want to wait with things. I like to ask advice from a few important fellows in my life if it really is a huge choice I have to make. First, I just go to my boyfriend and he almost always helps me out with the right decision. Because of his age, he has so much more experience than me so I feel like he knows what I should do. My mom also contributes sometimes. If I’m really stuck with something and it‘s not important, I just ask her to make my decision for me. It’s a pretty lazy thing to do, but it’s easier. I don’t really like to include my mom into the deeper thinking and choices of my life, so my boyfriend is better to talk about anything to. I don’t usually rely too much on my wits. I doubt myself quite a bit and constantly worry about making the wrong choice. I need multiple opinions from others just so I can convince myself that I am right. I don’t know why, but I guess it’s because that is just how I am.

Javahn B said...

Change, its one of the most difficult things to accomplish. The objective to change is clear to understand, its just doing it. That's the hard part. It's like, you know exactly what to do to change anything (thats because there's always a solution), but you just can't seem to do it. Thats where i come in, i seem to loose focus quite often. I think that if i could learn how to keep my focus on one thing at a time, i would be able to accomplish more things. Withoutfocus it would give me more conflicts with my priorities. Without focus, it would interfere with me getiing everything that would jepordise my future, career and possibly family. I think i put a block on change, because change could mean making sacrifices, and i think thats the most frightening thing to go against. Maybe the sacrifirce would cause for elimination of the people i care for most, because they're ineterfering with the possible accomplishes, of the elimination of the things i love doing, such as hanging with my friends, going out, or just laying back doing nothing. Im much of the lazy type.
While im in the process of making "choices", my mind seems to scramble of all the outcomes this change could make. The first thing that would appear in my mind is, Would it hurt me or anyone around me that i truly care about. If it hurts anyone that i love (thats including myself of course) then i wont do it. then i began to ask myself if would it jeopardise my freedom in the future. would it benfit me in any kind of way. If the decision is wieghed to heavily on my shoulders, i would tend to ask the ones i love and the ones that love me back, not a random friend or assoiciate. They would tell me what i want to hear just to make me feel better about my situation. They dont know who i really am. The ones i love know me inside and out, so even if i didnt want to hear what i needed to hear they would tell me anyway because they know i would prosper from it.
But just because i went to them for advice, doesnt necessarily mean that im going to use it. Im still going to go on what i feel is best. But change and choice would always have simularities. You could always make the "choice" to "change", and you'll always make a "change" by "choice"

Anonymous said...

When I hear “change”, I think Obama and what is better than that? I think that change is good. I wouldn’t say that I am afraid of change, but the possibility of making bad decisions is definitely scary. I can not wait to get out of Mays Landing and see all the things our world has to offer me. I think it is my own curiosity that makes change so appealing to me. What else is out there? What else am I capable of? Where is the best place I can end up? I hope the changes I seek out will allow me to find something I love to do and be able to provide for myself doing whatever I find. At this point in my life, I am very unsure of what I want to do with the rest of my life or where I am headed. I am taking the whole college experience as a way, not to necessarily to start over, but a way to do things for me and not for what people want me to do. Finding a career that I love is a main focus for me in the next couple years. I am sure I will make bad decisions, but will learn from them. I am sure I will be in hard positions, making hard decisions, but that will all be part of finding myself and ending up in the best position for myself. I often jump into things before thinking them all of the way out. I usually rely solely on my own reasoning. The part of change that frightens me is the idea of what will happen if I make a bad choice so drastic that I cannot get myself out of it. What if I allow myself to fall so down on the bottom that it will seem like I will never be able to lift myself up and regain focus? All of these troubling questions lead me to one answer. Be careful of the choices that I make and understand that every choice I make affects me. I am trying to be better at weighing out my options before making choices. I am also going to try to seek advice from others, and not always take everyone’s word, but hear their opinions. Hopefully, in doing this, the change I encounter will be good change. When I am comforted with a choice, I usually am quick to make a decision. In the past I have seen this isn’t always the best way of going about new things. I hope that in the next couple years when I crossing the boundary into adulthood that I really think things out so that I can be in the best position for me. This is our time to make something of ourselves. Be the people we want to be. Our choices will either allow us to do this or hold us back from everything we are capable of. I hope I make the best possible choices for me.

John L. said...

Your right bunj, as usual, change is a scary proposition. Some may fear change and some may welcome it, as for me I’m not sure which of those two people I am. I think I am a little of both since after reflecting on my life and the place I find myself in now I feel a wanting for change a secret desire for a different life, I am just too afraid to do anything about it. Like you said bunj, change goes hand in hand with choice. Every choice we make brings about change. I feel that in my life I constantly make the wrong choices somewhat subconsciously to avoid change. I make decisions that to me at the moment will fix whatever problem I may have at the time but I know it will eventually just land me in the same place I started with the same problem to deal with once again. The problem is when the right choice happens to come along I feel like I hesitate to seize the chance and bring a good change into my life. Its funny how you present this blogg question now because it just so happens that I have a few possible choices to make that are exactly the kind of choices that I need to make to better my life. The only thing holding me back is fear, my fear of rejection, uncertainty, and change.

By talking about whether or not I am the kind of person that yearns for change or the kind of person that is deathly afraid of it I have discovered the process that I use to make decisions. I think way too dam much! I overanalyze everything that comes my way and my mind ends up running away with some of the most retarded ideas and thoughts. It is only when I stop and think about what I’m thinking about when I realize that I’m being ridiculous and need to stop thinking (that last sentence is proof that I think to much!). Sometimes I wish I could just stop thinking and let go, I wish I could be the person who just dives in and hopes that the water isn’t too cold. Because I usually think about things way too much and end up second guessing myself I do occasionally confide in someone. I usually don’t talk to anybody about my problems or at least I don’t fully converse with anyone about anything in particular that is bothering me partially because it is so hard for me to verbalize all of the thoughts that are wandering around in my head, and that I feel a little embarrassed for one reason or another.

kelso said...

When it comes to change I contradict myself in a way. When change comes a-knockin' I cringe away from it but as it begins to drift away I chase after it. I guess I fear change because I am afraid of what will happen to me or how I will survive, but then again I crave it for the simple fact of what it will bring me. Change scares me because I know I won't have a helping hand to guide me through on how to do things or talk to people or make my choices for me, I have to do everything on my own.
However, as much as I wouldn't want to do things on my own, I'm willing to take the chance and escape from the life I have now, well not really the life, just simple adjustions. For example, I want and I know I need to get a new job because McDonalds just aint cutting it. Yes, I know Bunje, I said aint..I found a new job, cooking at the casino, it pays much more than the job I have now and over a couple of months I should have enough money to get my own little place, to live all by myself. Having another job frightens me just because I know I have to learn all my surroundings again and have to meet new people. Meeting new people, not really my thing, and I just remeber back to when i first started my job I have now, not cool. Then on the top of that, living on my own and going to college. I constantly worry about paying bills on time and being lonely in my home and getting through college, it's sometimes a bit frustrating. But, and this is a big BUT, I would do anyhting to get out of this house I live in and escape, even if I have to slap myself in the face a couple times and tell myself to stop being so scared.
When I make a choice, I think of the consequences most of the time or what may be better for me. Sometimes I even think well if I make this choice where will i end up, what will I be doing? That is about 80% of the time. The other 20% though, I dive right into doing something without thinking just for the spur of the moment. Im just caught up with everything going on around me I don't think of any rational decisions, but I guess that is ok in some cases, depending on the situation.

Anonymous said...

I welcome change but not to much because change is the unknown and we must be ready for what is comming. I embrace change because It means that I can finally make my own decissions and fend for my self. It also means that I can take my career as a firefighter even further with continuing fire academy and even get a job as a forest firefighter or even a paid firefighter. I weigh all my options because if In my job as a firefighter I can ether save someones life or not safe any life, I could make it out alive or I could fall in the line of duty. I could be a great firefighter or I could be the worst firefighter in history. When confronted with a choice I like to look at all the possible outcomes before I make the choice. If I can or if I have time I some times will go to some of my freinds or even my parents for some advice to help me come to a decission. Going to my freinds and/or parents helps my weigh all my options with the possible outcomes so that I can make the right decission.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say that I "yearn" for change, but I'm definately for it in most cases. With change comes the fear and excitement of the unknown. I like the idea of not knowing what to expect. Doing the same thing over and over again gets very old and boring. From change, I hope to become a better person. Everyone has their faults, whether we like it or not. By changing it causes personal/human growth. The biggest change for me right now is when after I graduate. I would be all alone in another state away from everything, everyone I love. This experience will be good for me, although I am a little nervous. It will cause me to be even more independent that I already am, and to not procastinate on school work because I could end up failing and the professors wouldn't care. I can remember only one time where I was reluctant to change. My mom had given me an ultimatum with something, and I was reluctant to change my ways no matter how bad she wanted me too. The way I choose to process things is crazy! I guess it all depends on my mood at that very moment and if I really want to do it. First I'll think about all the good reasons I would want to do it. I make sure that it is something that I really want to do or choose. Next, I'll ways out the bad reasons and the consequences. I think about every possible scenario that would cause me to get in trouble. After that, if I still want to do it, I start to plot and plan different ways that I could do it and make sure that they are fool proof. Yes, I know it's crazy, but this is how I think lol. When I'm confronted with a really tough decision that I can't make up my mind on, I turn to three of my best friends. They know me the best, sometimes better than I know myself. If it is a small decision I rely on my wits because I'm good at coming up with ideas.

Nancy M said...

As much as I think that change is good, I don't like change at all. Change is a scary thing and I hate not being in control of things and not being able to know what the outcome will be. When I think of change I think of a dark tunnel with a light at the end of it. The dark tunnel symbolizes my fear of change and what may be inside the tunnel and the light signifies the good that comes out of change. I had the choice of going to college in PA but the thought of changing my whole life that I know scared the crap out of me. If ACCC had a dental program I would totally go there because its so close to home. Its Oakcrest part 2 lol. Imp going to Camden County College and its only a half hr away but that even scares me because I'm changing scenery and I'm going to be changing schools and its new people, new teachers to get used new everything. Change wouldn't be so scary if I knew that in the end I made the right choice. Going back to what I first said about change being good, I think that all change is good because whether or not you make the right choice you learn something every time. You could either learn that its ok to take risks and make a change or you could learn that next time you have a choice to make you should choose this one or that one.
When I have to make a decision and choose something I usually try to think of the pros and cons. I take my options and say to myself, well if I choose this, this will happen or if I choose the other that will happen. But when im absolutely stuck and can't figure out which one to choose, I always pray on it. It sounds cheesy but I usually don't ask people for their opinions because they are usually always biased so I turn to God who isn't biased. I’ll usually just pray on it and what ever I feel in my heart is that way I’m supposed to go I trust in God and trust that it will be ok. I’m always afraid to make the wrong decision but now that I think about it, technically no decision is a wrong decision because you’ll always get something out of it whether its good or bad you made choice to take a step forward and finally face change. I wish I was more open to change because it would open so many more doors for me but I just don’t think I’m ready yet to put my self out of my comfort zone.

Anonymous said...

Change - sometimes it's for the worse and sometimes it's for the better. i am definitely a restless soul that stays neutral on that ground. i try to just ride out the waves and hope the water is not too deep. It is whatever you choose to make it really. i enjoy exploring and searching into the far depths of life, new things excite me; it always gives me a sense of rush and truth. the only prospect of change that frightens me is when there's change surrounding me that i have no control over, the surrounding i would ever consider bad and not think twice of giving a second chance. really, every move you make in life is almost a threat. gaining versus losing, achieving versus failing, it's what you will get and what you're throwing away when you make a choice. That is why it sucks when you can't control the sort of change that you have no control over. but hahah. i definitely have to say that paragraph about choice is so true, it was almost hilarious... "chicken patty or pb&j"? that is a question I would seriously ask. actually I am the kind of person that tries to avoid choices in my opinion whether simple or hard. i just mix it up and deal with however i feel that day and just go with it. it's hard to know how i make the choice, i just make it and if it feels like it's the right way -- i lean towards that way. obviously I have made some wrong choices along the way but it's whatever. you live and try not to make the same mistakes again. it depends on my mood at that exact moment in time for so many things like whether to confide in someone else for advising me and helping me make a decision or to just go with my gut. oh jeez, so many choices and so little time. i wish it was like a movie or something -- you get to preview your actions before you make a mistake to show, that would be nice.

monet tb said...

I can see why change is hard for some people to deal with. it kind of goes with the old saying if its not broke then don’t fix it. and some people might like what they have and don’t want the change because of the fact that they are alright with what they got. so why change it? and they might be afraid to change because what if they cant go back to it went they change and they realize what they had was better before they changed. me personally, I like change depending on the situation for example if it my hair I would like to switch up now and then as well as my sense of style. but something like my boyfriend is something I would not attempt to change because so far he is great and I no that there is a possibility that there could be someone even better then but I rather just stick to what I got because of the fact there is nothing wrong with him. I rely don’t have change that I want to seek out they just come to me as I proceed my way thru life but if you can say college is a change I cant wait to seek that out and join a whole bunch of activities and meet new people. yea I do weigh my choices. I actually just had to way them during the spring break, I thought another female had a problem with me in school she kept messing with me and I tried to just ignore it but it just mad it worse and I think that she thought that I was a punk so she hype up the action some more. now in my younger years I wouldn't have thought twice to beat her down but I had to this time because im bout to go to college and im not letting none of these little girls mess it up for me. so what I did was called her up and we got the talking and to find out I was the mislead one. (it was just all in my head). but besides the when I am confronted with a choice I usually go straight to ma mom because she knows all of the best answers to solve any problem but im not saying that I follow thru with them all I just hear what she got to say then I decide from then on.

Kirsten A said...

Not to be a pain or anything but I would have to say that I would have to say that I am in the middle of the two. I’m almost always open to change but there are those few things that would somewhat scare me if they were to change. I have always said that I didn’t want to leave home I wanted to stay in New Jersey for ever and go to Stockton but maybe around last year or so I realized I can not always have my mom and dad to fall back on I need to be a big girl and grow up. So, things that evolve change when it comes to like moving I would be totally open to that since I am planning on going to college three and a half hours away in New York. As some of you may know I like to have things planned out or have at least an idea of what I will be doing for the day. If I were to have to change that it would probably make me rather mad I guess you could say. At the same time it would not kill me if my schedule for the day did change I can roll with the punches in life if I have to but I like having my heads up plan.
I would like to say that the majority of the decisions I make in life are goods ones. I like to say that I am a pretty well behaved nice girl and make all the correct decisions for myself. At my old school one of my friends constantly called me good goody. I feel that I somewhat have to live up to that standard. Most of the time when I am faced with a big decision I like to weigh the pros and cons against each other but I can also make a quick decision in my head if I have to. A lot of people tell me I make pretty good decisions and I like to keep it that way. If it is a pretty big life decision I normally would turn to my grand mom for advice. No matter what it is she will listen to what I have to say and tell me what she thinks to be the correct thing to do and I love that about her. I do have some friends I could turn to if I needed to but when it comes to big things I always seems to call my Grammy and tell her and she has never really let me down as of yet when I ask her something. On occasion I also may ask my little sister even though she is normally the one asking me the questions but we have both been told we are pretty good at giving advice so she helps me out sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Change is a little bit of a tough subject to talk about. The reason why is because, when there is time for a change it is obvious that the current state you are in is not good. If you decide to make a change you do not come what will come from it. Well, I guess that is just the case for me. Sometimes I want and/or need change, but sometime refrains me from doing so. For example, ignorance of the future my effect my decision, or the fact that I won't make it if I change. So I guess I am the kind of person who shuts down change. I am not the type to put a double lock on change's door. There are times when change is not a problem. So I guess the reason why I shut down change is because of fear of the future. For example, my mom was just talking about moving to Delaware when my little sister finish high school, which is about 4-5 more years. It was a good idea but I started to rebel because I could not see myself comfortable in a whole new setting. Maybe moving to another state that I was more familiar with would have helped, like Maryland or something.

When it comes to making a choice, I like to wing it. Unfortunately that does not always work. When I take this choice serious I weight all of my options and make my decision off of that, and some of what I already know. I’m definitely not the type to go asking other people. There are a couple reasons. 1.) I feel as though if it does not have to do with them they will not answer the question seriously. 2.) It not there business. 3.) I am not the type to just vent to people. So, if I was stuck with choices and I had to break everything for the person to understand where I am coming from, than that would be considered "venting." I can't vent to everyone. I don't people can relate to the things that go on in my mind. That is why I have to do it all on my own. If I make a wrong choice I have to deal with the consequences on my own. If I were to ask to someone else and they made a wrong choice I feel as though it is there fault that I am in situation I am in now. Sometimes I tend seek advice, but most of the time it is never anything major. it is just advice that makes little difference in the situation. Either way I do things on my own. If I don't then who will. There will not be people making decisions for me for the rest of my life. So I have to start working on my experience now while I am young.

Vincent Q said...

I have never been a big fan of change. I always get my mind set on a thing then when it changes I have no clue what I’m doing. I usually like what I got and then when something changes it just switches everything around and then I have to get use to it. Even something as simple as changing a room layout. Sometimes I go home and my living room furniture is all moved around in a different setting. I get pissed because It looks like a whole new room and I don’t even know where I am. One time I didn’t change my phone background for months because I just so use to it and I just hated the change. I always get mad because I get so use to certain things and when it changes I’m just thrown off. So when it comes down to it I hate change. I think the reason why I hate change is because I always think that it’s going to change for the worse. I mean I always try to think positively but sometimes it just doesn’t seem to happen. Most people always assume the worst is going to happen and when it comes to change I’m on the same boat as these people.
Before I make decisions I always think about them. I try to think about the outcome of the decision and if will effect me positively or not. Right when I am faced with a decision I stop dead in my tracks and go back and forth with the good things about it and the bad things and how this will effect me. This is a very good trait I have because many people ruin their lives this way but not thinking ahead and just going with the flow. I always try to keep my eyes open and always look ahead on the possible decisions I’m going to have to make.
When it comes to life and making decisions I tend to do it by myself. I don’t ask for advice because the only person the knows the right answer for me is me. No one knows me better then I do so I think that any decision that may have a positive or negative effect I’m always there thinking it about and don’t really need someone’s help.

Danielle U said...

Well, what it is about change that I find so appealing is that I like to try new things. I get bored easily, and when things constantly change, it makes life more exciting. But, I don't always like everything to change. I mean I like meeting new people, and going new places, but, I have trouble letting go of the past. When I meet new people, I don't like forgetting about my old friends, I like to just add onto my friends, not lose any. And when I’m going new places, or trying new things, I like to do those things with my friends. So, I’m completely in the middle about change. I hate doing the same things over and over again, but I have the hardest time letting go of absolutely everything.
Some of the changes I will undergo within the next year are starting not to sound so bad anymore. Up until recently, I’ve been freaking out about not having any friends next year, and being the only one of my close friends that is staying here. But, that all changed. I have only like 5 or 6 friends I consider close to me, and probably 5 of them are going to ACCC along with me. So, I doubt things will be different when it comes to my social life. My school life however, I know will be completely different. I was not the greatest student throughout high school, and this year I know I didn't try any harder. So next year I know it will be a huge wake-up call. I'm going to have to work so incredibly hard just to catch up with everyone else, and I’m going to have to improve my study skills a lot!

When it comes to making choices, I guess I would have to say I don't always think things through and just dive right in. I like the idea of taking chances, but I rarely ever make the right decisions. I always do things I want to do, and don't listen to anyone else normally. I always ask for advice, but every time I do I know I’m just going to do whatever I want anyway. Its not a great way to live by because I never really plan out all the possible outcomes in my life, so I usually get upset or fall down extra hard because I never think about all the possibly outcomes. So basically, I know I’ve been messing up a lot lately with everything I do, and next year I think I’ll take all the new changes and try to better myself, since I clearly know I didn't do it in high school.

Anonymous said...

Although I am not one who yearns for change, I do find it rather addicting and amusing. Change is based upon the unordinary position of the same thing not occurring. Change is spontaneous. The changes in my life will always, hopefully, be for the better. I hope my life changes and will some day reflect my positive aspect on everything. I hope I get over my deepest, darkest fears. Some changes seem inevitable, but I know it is possible; for everything is possible.

On the other hand, I am a little door-locker when it comes to change; especially when it’s with something I’m not used to. Change puts one in an uncomfortable position where they can not predict the next move, or event. When something like this comes up, personally, I take a deep breath and just do it. I just go for it telling myself that I will regret not doing it some day. My strong belief that everything happens for a reason allows me to think that change is destiny and will come in and out of my life.

The choices of epic proportions can be little or drastic change. I believe that the more drastic and major choices are taking the easy way out, or risking it for the hard way.
I am an option weigher. Sometimes I think way to hard and into things. Sometimes it takes me a long time to make a decision. I barely, if ever, make a choice without thinking and hope for the best. When I’m confronted with a choice, I carefully lay out my options. I first look what would better me, then if it is right, then if it will hurt others, and so on. I only have two best friends; Rodney and Nina. Nina lives in Pennsylvania and sometimes is unreachable. The two of them are always there for me and I know I can go to either about any situation. I don’t rely non my wits because, like everyone else, I always think I am right. Well, until proven or shown otherwise. This is because I am only one person with only one perspective. I often try to put myself in others shoes which allows me to see situations from their point of view.

I am not afraid of change, though I am afraid of making the wrong choice. I believe that I will do well in life. I am a quick learner and when made, learn from my mistakes. I wouldn’t put myself in a compromising, uncomfortable position if I can help it. Change is what keeps this world moving and without it life would be boring. The hard part is deciphering the bad from the good; for that change is always tricky.

Sam S said...

Wow this is like a perfect blog for the past couple weeks of my life. So there is a lot about change that appeals to me! One thing for sure is getting away from my parents setting. Honestly that is one change I can’t wait for. Of course it’s going to be hard, but I need to learn what I’m up against and waiting until I have no guidance is not something I think makes sense. Another part of changes that appeals to me is making my own decisions. I mean throughout my whole life, I made decisions. Who were my friends, what to do Friday night, or what homework I can afford to blow off? Well I made some pretty bad ones, but I am getting better at the little ones. Now I have to make decisions like careers, schooling, and money situations. Getting the responsibility for these decisions is exciting because now I don’t have to listen to someone tell me how it is because I will learn it as the days go (hopefully no failure). So I think out of those changes, I really want to get some responsibility in my blood so I get further than my father so I can rub it in his face. Sorry I know that’s mean, but it is true.
Ok so facing decisions…..I think I do a little bit of both. Some things I have to decide I just throw it out without a thought. In most cases, those decisions mean little or nothing to me. When it comes to decisions like sleep or text, I just do what I feel like. Also studying my strong subjects, anatomy and calculus, I’ll blow that off if I don’t feel like looking at the work. Than again there are always the decisions I actually think about. I think about what to say to friends when they ask me something because I don’t want to say something ridiculous or mean. Also, when I make a decision in band, I try to think it through. So in simple terms, if I care I think, if I don’t care I just spit it out. So most likely, well I know it is a stupid approach, but it is the way I have been forever it seems. I always say some things count and others don’t…..Another reason I think I am this way is because that is the way my mother seems and my sister so it’s the way my family is too. For example, my sister hates her one class so if she does not have to go because she has the material already known she quickly hops out of going. On the other hand, if she is deciding whether to call out sick because she feels a little under the weather she considers what tomorrow could be and other considerations. I think that is pretty much how I react with my own little twist and it’s because of family, friends, and hey….that’s me!

1BrianL said...

Change can be a good thing or a terrible thing. Obviously! I like change, and constantly coming on to new things or challenges. I especially like change if it means that I will get a starting spot on the team! But as far as growing up, Bring it on. Everyone has to go through the awkward growing up and getting the thought of high school out of there head thing. So I will think back to that mid summer when I start to feel sad about so many things I could have done in high school. If someone came to me and told me that in college my life would be completely different than it is now chances are I would be very happy, and sad. Becuase for one I know that means I would be a great student, but does tha mean I have t sacrifice my personality for it? Thats the only thing i fear, losing myself in myself. I know I'm very capable of doing extensive amount of work like I see a lot of people do, but they are missing that one thing, excitement. Maybe i live for getting a 3 page paper done in school a period before or doing 698086 math problems in lunch. Maybe for me that keeps me moving. I can't imagine hat i would do with myself if i got all my work done when I should have. Procrastination? No, for me it's anticipation. But with college I know I have to change that strategy, and buckle down and actually give myself a stress free life. Well that is scary to me. What am I going to do if I don't worry about doing any homework? Maybe it's a good change. The thing I love about change, like I said, is that creates new challenges, new friends, new work. Change excites me. I really cannot wait to get out of high school, at this point I feel like a child still locked in a cage, because at our school in particular we have no rights. I can't wait to be in college and not have to worry about coming across a site I amd very interested in, and having it blocked. Our school has almost everything blocked, and that is not right. What's to come when my kids go to school? No internet at all? I can't wait to get out of that place where I am so restricted to do what I need when I need to. I can't wait for that change. Pretty much how i think about change is it has to happen. It is sad, and very happy at the same time, and can reflect on how you will be the rest of your life. I dont fear change at all. I love it and hate it, but I'll make the best of it.

Anonymous said...

Change happens every day, whether its a small change like getting your long hair cut short or a big change like the first African American President; change will some how always friend a way to present itself. Granted any kind of change can be more than frightening in the end, I believe, change can be a good thing. For instance a person who is afraid of change and lives faithfully by their same old routine, in my opinion, is a person who isn't really living at all. Change, I can admit, is scary but you must embrace change because the "new" and the "unknown" is what living is all about. If you look at life as a learning experience than change won't seem all that scary. Life throws new things at us everyday but if you run the opposite way rather than accepting the "new" obstacles or whatever type of change that may be thrown your way than your just avoiding life all together. Obviously no one can prevent change, you can avoid it or at least try to avoid it but regardless a person can't avoid decisions and most changes in life are due to the decisions we make everyday. In a way decisions are almost like Newtons Law Of Motion, to every reaction there is an equal or opposite reaction. Every decision we make will have and cause some type of change. Personally I know that I don't think every decision I make through and that's what caused some of the bad changes in my life. A persons decisions heavily influence change so even though change may sometimes seem terrible if you embrace it, learn from it, and grow from it than I believe change can be viewed as something good, just as long as you decide to let it be something positive.

michaelc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michaelc said...

Change does not bother me at all. I am one of the people who just go with the flow and whatever happens, happens. Change is almost made of one-hundred percent choice, unless it is forced upon you. So change is basically under your control and you can guide youself into your future. But even though I just said all that I must contradict myself. There is actually one fear I have that you basically stated Bunje. After graduation we are on our own. It is time for college, bills, moving out and whatever else may come with "being an adult". I can't wait to get out now but I know that I will miss high school because of all my friends and the responsibility that will knock me down like a bag of bricks being thrown at someone after graduation. I worry but sometimes I may be over-thinking it. who knows?
Choices. As I stated earlier I believe that choices are the main cause for change. Just as you said Ms. Bunje, Break-up or stay together; cheat or suck it up and take a zero; confront the back-stabbing friend or let it go; get high just this once or walk away never knowing. Well, when i make my choices I usually don't make a big deal weighing out my options, but at the same time I don't just dive in. I just go with what I feel and know is right. Though, if I really need to ask for advice, there are a handful of people I could go to. First, of course would be my mom. i know I could always count on her to make the right decision. Haha and hey if i do anything bad it's not my fault because she helped me with the decision. Secondly, I would go to my Pastor. I could never go wrong with that. I know he will lead down a good path helping me to make good decisions as he does all the time. I can always count on him one-hundred percent evry time. Next, would probaly be my grandparents. They have been through it all and know exactly what to do in almost eveery scenario. Then, I have my aunts and uncles. I have over 10 and trust all of them for making good decisions. And last which is not least because this list is in no particular order of who I would go to first is my friends. They always help me out with everything. All that were stated are in no order of rank besides mymom being first because sometimes help is needed on a first come first serve basis. But this doesnt mean I soley rely on people to make my decisions. I make most of my decisions on my mindset and go for help when I am baffled or just a little unsure of what to do.

kyle w said...

If you asked me this question a few months ago, I would of said that I like and want change. And I proved this when I applied to schools like Penn State and University of Delaware. All I was trying to do was get out of New Jersey, but I also applied to Stockton. I thought I wanted to go somewhere where I did not know anybody. Fast forward a couple of months and I got accepted to all of those schools. In the end, I chose Stockton. I chose to stay in South Jersey, to stay at my current job, and to stay with the same people. I chose Stockton because I do not like change and I want things to stay the same. I don't want to go to a place where I do not know anybody. I fear being alone and not having anyone to hang out with.
My thought process when I make a choice is always different depending on the magnitude of the choice. When I make a choice on what to get for lunch, I do not make a choice until I get to the front of the line. When I made the decision on what college I wanted to go to, I spent countless hours contemplating that choice. If it is a big decision, I usually weigh all my options and their risks and rewards. I listen to all the advice that people give me, but in the end I make the choice that is best for me. If I had to go to someone for advice, I would go to my parents. In the end, I try to do what is right for me, even though it might not be the right thing to do.

shantab said...

Change was never something i was ever fond up. But being constantly forced to move made it something i became used to. I've moved six times since the age of eight & changed schools 4 times. I guess you can say i became used to it, going to a school where majority of the time i knew nobody, living with diffrent relatives. But one thing that was so appealing about change, was that it gave me a chance to start over. It was like i was pressing the refresh button on my life & i loved it. Whatever happened in my past stayed there. Change was what i yearned for and continue to look forward to. This is one of the reasons im anticipating college so much. Change. I can do as i please when i please. I could even go there and say my nick name is sha-nay-nay and people would really believe me. Its crazy. Something that i used to fear some much is so much is now something i cant wait for. Going to college and being able to make all new friends and forget that dramma filled associates i was forced to befriend at oakcrest.
When it comes to making choices, i DEFINITLY dont weigh all my options. I make the dumbest mistakes ever. THose kind of mistakes as in if i woulda just thought a couple minutes more about the consequences i wouldnt have did it, and sometimes i hit myself in the head and tell meself to make better choices. But i still find myself making silly mistakes. When im confronted with a choice, i never really thing about it. I guess you can say im one of those "dive in the water and see if its cold" kind of people. My motto is whatever happens happens. Fortunantly, i've began making the right decisions. Especially when it comes to college.. because i understand that the choices i make now can affect the rest of my live and i have no other choice but to think about the decision i make. But if i do decide to ask anyone for advice, its definitly my sister, because from personal experiences, she's always the one never getting caught, and always making pretty decent decisions. So majority of the time something happens where i have to make one i flip my phone open and call her. When it comes to little stuff majority of the time i rely on my wits. I guess you can say thats my problem.

Paul H said...

I am not one of those people who yearns for change but I do enjoy change every now and then. Doing the same thing day in and day out can tend to get old or boring. If change was not a major part of life we would not be where we are today. There would be no technological advancements or anything like that. There are some changes I do not accept willingly though. For example if I have a steady work schedule and then some of my days get cut I don’t like that kind of change. A big change I am looking forward to is college. It will be my first time living on my own and fending for myself. Instead of taking the bus everyday and following the bell schedule I have to find my own way to class and decide weather or not I want to go. I will not get a detention or a cut slip if I do not go to class. It is completely up to me what I decide to do. This is more of a change of responsibilities which may be what scares people the most. People like their carefree lives in high school and do not look forward to having to actually make important decisions every day.
Everyone wishes they could say that they always think things through before making decisions. This is not always the case though. When confronted with a decision people get overwhelmed and make quick irrational choices. After the decision is made they may completely regret it. I try to think things through but like everyone I do not always do that. If I make a mistake it is usual because I made a drastic decision but when things go well I know it was worth it to take the time and think it through. When I can not figure something out on my own I do try and get advice from friends and family. Most of my advice I get from my mother for bigger things. For little and less important things I usually talk to my friends and get their take on it. Sometimes despite asking people for advice I still go with my gut. This does not always turn out good but its hard to convince yourself otherwise.
If I were to always rely on my own wits I would have made a lot more mistakes. Sure I can learn from my mistakes but I can also learn from success. It is not that I do not trust myself but I know that I do not always think rationally. If it weren’t for my friends and family being there for me along the way I do not think I would have been anywhere near as successful in life.

williama said...

When I hear the word change it doesn’t come across to me well. I am one of those people that would fall under the one who double locks the door when change comes a-knockin'. Change is not something that I have been comfortable with. It is frightening to think about how my life is now and then how it could be if something happens. I like how my life is now. I have all the people in my life that I care about and need. In a way I feel why you should fix something that is not broken. I wouldn’t want to risk losing the people that I care about just over some little change. I like new things to happen but I would rather those new things to happen with what I have now instead of it changing my life in any way. I think that if I change something like my location that I would meet new people that would be great and just as good as those I have now maybe even better. But I would not want that location to cause me to lose communication with anyone. And I know that as soon as I graduate and walk out of oakcrest that more then half of the people that I know and am friends with won’t always be there. I know that there will be a loss of communication and ill never see them again. That’s not something I would like to happen but it happens to everyone. People go on with the change and about there new life.

When I come across a choice that has to be made I would have to say that how I go about it would depend on how big the issue was. If it was something like do I want a chicken patty or a peanut butter and jelly then I wouldn’t think too much about and just go for whatever pops into my head first. But I would have to say when it comes to bigger things like should I do something that could get me in trouble I don’t always think it fully through. I do think like if I get caught my parents would kill me or I could get in lots of trouble but it usually doesn’t help me anyways. I usually end up risking the trouble just for the thrill of doing whatever it was. But on an even bigger scale like life or death situations that involved friends or family I know that I would stop and weigh everything out. There is no room for doing the fun and dumb thing if it involves someone else being in danger. Some things are just more important then others so the decision making relies on how big the choice.

stephen m said...

i think that i go with both of these ways of thinking. to me it all depends on the situation and what is going to change. like your example of a change in scenery i would welcome that with open arms cause where i am now i dont believe that i am the happiest i could be. i would like to be in a more rural area where i dont have to enact with as many people on a daily basis as i do now. in the other hand sometimes i would not want thing to change at all. for example if i am in a relatnship that i like and i have great feelings for someone i would want it to stay the way it is and never to change. the reason i think like this is that i beleive that if something is going good i dont want to take a chance of it going from something good to being misserably wrong. as for making choices i think that the way i made a choice is dependant on how important the choice is. not only to me at that moment but to the rest of my life. i have made some bad choices and some very good ones as that person in which i wasted a year of my life with. now i think that that was a bad choice. however at the time i made the choice it seem to be a good thing that would and could not have any negative effects. i was wrong as i soon found out and as soon as i ealised that i ended the relationship or relationshit as i now refer to it. well when i make a choice i think he first thing i do is asses how importnt it will be in the rest of my life. as with girls and relationships they rank low for me. i dont care if i go into a relationship and i dont like it cause i always have the choice to leave it and start a new one with someone else. however there are many important choices i make every day. such as the choice to do thi blog or wether i wanted to just blow it off and go to sleep. wel it might be turned in a little late but as for that i would rather do it and be late due to my job and have a good response. as to where i could bull shit about nothing and get it done on time. but as to ow i make decissions i wheigh the effectsboth imediat and long term then i decide if they are good and bad most of the time i go with the good but n some situations people around you at the time have negative affects and i make the wrong decission. however that all goes hand in hand with peer presure and self confidence.

Nicole L said...

As we all know we are graduating in 40 something days, and i keep saying i can't wait but i really can. Even though i won't miss alot of people in this school,teachers, rules, the smell when summer hits, or the fact i get pitters every five seconds (ms. bunje you know what i'm saying, most of my life has been built up from highschool and it's really sad to leave that all behind. I mean elementary school was very important, but nothing compared to high school. We all say and i am guilty of this too oakcrest is a joke !!!! but now that i think about it .. ITS NOT. DO you think next year when most of us our professor is going to let us wrtie blogs and freely state how we feel .. umm.. NO. High School is where I made some great friends and some not so great friends, boyfriends, it's where i started sculpting my future, where i really learned life skills and how to survive in the real world, atleast i thought so until now. I don't feel so confident in going to a college far away. Once your parents drop you off your all alone, and i may sound like a child but i need my parents. When i got denied from rutgers i was crushed, and i'm sure there are plenty of schools i could have gotten into but i don't want to just settle for any school so i CHOSE to stay at accc and really truly decide what i want to do with my life. The decisions i make within the next few years could break or make my future.

When it comes to making choices it may sound selfish but i usually think of myself my family or boyfriend, i guess basically because that is what matters to me most. For the most part i am very smart when it comes to making decisons, i feel as if i am mature for my age, not that i shouldn't be, but i can definitely handle myself. ( except for with college )

Making choices can be very scary when it could be a choice that could change your life such as a break up or college or a job or moving somewhere. I can't tell you how long i have been saying i am quitting my job, but who wants to quit somewhere they are 100% comfortable and start somewhere they will be 0% comfortable.. NOT ME! I don't know about adults because i'm not one, but since i am a teenager i can say teenagers are so scared of change because they are scared of not having what they know and are familar with, but adults have lived through what i have and thats why i go to them if i need advice about things such as college or how to pay bills and such. With personal things i tend to go to a certain teacher, or my mother.

Most of the time i try to rely on myself to make a choice but i think once i start doubting myself i run to someone else. The thing i have come to realize is you can't depend on others to constantly make decisions for you because one day you are going to be stuck in a situation where you are solely the only person you can go to for the answer. With pretty much and choice you make there can be a good or bad outcome fors instance you can choose to cheat on a test and get a good grade and you can either get that good grade or get caught, or you can choose to go to college where your bestfriend or boyfriend goes and have the best time or you could lose that friend or boyfriend and your stuck at a college you went to for them, or you could choose to wear those new white pants and they can either look great or you could get splashed by a huge puddle, but hey i'm just saying life is like rolling a di you never know what number you're going to get but if you never roll it you will never get anywhere. If your in a situation such as not having a job and your scared to go apply for a job you can either go apply and get denied( which you would be in the same spot you were originally in) or you could get the job!

When making a decision for myself like i said i mainly think about how it will effect myself and my loved ones. I weigh out by using my logic and morals. If something feels wrong then most likely it is, but i am never scared to ask for advice. I guess what i am trying to say is there is some things in life you must make your OWN decsion on, but in some cases you can always go to a friend, teacher, or family member for help. After all the word advice would be useless if we didn't seek it. My dad always told me prepare for the worst and hope for the best and thats what you always have to do when making decisions no matter what.

marcus m said...

I would have to place myself with the people that lock the door when change comes knocking.Rarely do I ever just dive in and hope that the water is not to cold for me to handle,even in my swimming pool. I just told someone yesterday that I fear change.I fear what I do not know. I assume that it is because change is associated with unexpected things, and sometimes I am not ready for these things. I fear that these changes might end up effecting my life in an extremely negative way. So that thought is constantly in the back of my head whenever something different happens. Sometimes I figure that change can ruin me. I way my options every single day, and almost always think of the consequences to my actions. I do it even when it comes to minor things, like for instance eating lunch. If I eat the chicken patty I might just get a stomach ache or if the pizza might make me tired for the next class. I think alot more about right or left though. The whole problem is what I might run into depending on the way that I go. For instance if I walk outside and go to my left a bus may hit me or if I turn right I could look down and find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. If may sound a little far fetched of an idea but it crosses my mind from time to time. It is like everyday coming to a fork in the road and deciding which road to take. I have said for a while though that if it ever really happens I will attempt to go straight to see how each path ends up.The biggest choices to make are about to come up very soon and that is deciding what college I should go to. I am greatly afraid of what will happen if I pick the wrong college. maybe I would end up in a dead end job being paid a poor salary. Then there is the problem of picking the correct profession. I don't want to be at a well paying job that either bores me to death or stresses me out everyday. These decisions will decide the entire rest of my life. I only ask for the help of another person if I absolutely must. That is mainly because it makes me feel as if I am to dependent on the person that I ask. So if it is not a seriously life changing decision than I attempt to work it out myself. If for some reason I need help with a major decision I call upon the great advice of my brother. He has never pointed me in the wrong path before so I don't see why he would now.

Roodly A said...

i am sorry again ms bunje. but anyway the word change is a very stong word. people change for many different reasons, wether if its bad or good. once someone changes it might be difficult to get back to your regular self.

i remembered it like it was yesterday. i was 17 and was spending time at my cousins house during our summer vacation. his name was marvin and he was a year younger than me. he was like my little brother, we did everything together, played basketball, went to the movies, everything. i was a good kid that time, had good grades, and was still doing my chores. we came home one day drunk from a party and it was three in the morning. marvins dad was down stairs on the computor doing research. we tried to sneak in the basement, as we were walking, the stairs craked, and that just blew it, as soon as the stairs cracked he yelled marvins name. he ran to his dad and i just sat on the stairs thinking, i was thinking of an excuse but nothing was coming up. marvin dad was always mean to me. when i was little he used to beat me everytime i would do somthing wrong but i would never tell my parents because i had a feeling they wouldnt let me be with maarvin anymore. when marvin came back, his dad called me and told me to get out, but i made a choice i said no and told him i dont have anywhere elese to go. than he got mad and punched me, i could have just walked away but i turned into the hulk and stared throwing combos at him. than i ran out the house. i hated him, i felt like killing him that day but i thought about the consequences so i just went to my other cousins house and he was a drug dealer. every time i go over there he would ask me to smoke, he also told me that it will make me feel good, and also it helps relive stress, but than that right there made me do it, because i was stressing and i wanted to feel better, i didnt have no one to talk to because my family was out in vacation so i felt lonely. the whole summer time i wasnt being myself, i became ignorant and i couldnt control myself. it was so hard for me to go back to my reegular self but i finally pulled myself together and now iam doing fine, iam trying hard in school and i really interested in college. iam staying away from all the bad kids and just be myself. i dont want to change anymore. now i know that instead of making the wrong coice just really thing about it and ask myself is it worth it? than just walk away.

Pete D. said...

Hmmm... At first I thought that this blog was due today but now that I see how many people that have already submitted their answers I think I may be totally wrong about that notion. Uh ohs, I’ll still answer regardless since I want to be Heard! =).

I am almost, kind of, sort of, basically confident in saying I enjoy change in my life. It is one of those things that I have accepted and deal with it with a positive attitude pretty much all the time. It’s funny because earlier I was talking to my mom about the first day I went to school after I had seen a small bambino disembarking from the bus stop with a joyous skip. Upon seeing this I asked my mom how devastating it was when she had to send me away to a place where she couldn’t watch my every move, and she said that she had to pretend she was excited but once I had stepped foot on the big yellow behemoth she had broke down in tears. Now this is not the point I am trying to get across, instead she said I sprinted in a full out blaze to get on that bus, and I was so excited to go through my first day of school to a place I had never before seen with people I didn’t quite know. She then went on to say how most kids start crying and kicking and wining about their new adventure because their comfort zone was about to be totally recreated and this thing called change was about to be set in motion for the rest of their life. Now judging from my reaction back then, and comparing it to how I am now I suppose I can say that I love to attack new scenarios with an upbeat attitude and a beaming smirk across my face. Now I know that many of the changes that are about to happen with most definitely influence the rest of my insignificant life which means nothing, at least on the scale of the entire world, but I don’t want to deviate. The change of adapting to college life and getting a job and finding ways to pay for room and board on my own and working my ass off to get a degree, all of these will be deciding factors in who I become and where I go in life and I can say that even though I may not be physically ready I know that I am determined to tackle this new chapter in my life.

Now for choices. For some reason this feels like a familiar question but I guess that means I have an idea about what I shall be saying. I usually have the problem, if that’s what I should call it, of over thinking when I am faced with a challenge, question, or any other type of affair. I weigh my possibilities, then re-weigh them, then do it one more time for good measure (pun intended). All this weighing ends up confusing me more and extends my decision making time times 3, maybe 4. Now I can say that once the decision making Gods decide to bless me with the ability to finally choose what I want it usually ends up being the right choice. However, this is what I have been doing for the last 3 and a half years and lately I want to stimulate my own kind of change in my life. Quite frankly the whole hoping the water isn’t too cold theory seems like the most fun and exciting. Especially if I get lucky and the pool happens to be heated, then I know that the spur of the moment choices can end up being worth it and can give you opportunities and situations you thought were never before going to happen to you. Yet in both I still use my trusty wit to assist with the decision making process and I can say that it hasn’t quite failed me yet, except for the fact that my wit should of told me to actually study and do my homework more often so that I could’ve been even better off than I am now.

Bill R said...

Change, for me, isn’t that scary because I usually can make the best out of most situations, yet it does somewhat scare me because my band, which is one of my greatest passions, relies on a collaboration of five people to create a product that pleases us all and if I go away to college we’re not going to get that chance to collaborate anymore. I know I can meet new musicians and start a new band but a band is kind of like a relationship. If you come close to breaking up you still get that churning is your stomach that no one enjoys, and this is going to be a lot like trying to keep a long distance relationship going. This is one decision that I’m going to face when I get to it because there’s not much I can do now except wait until I actually go to college to see if we can keep it going. Besides that I usually like change because it means something fresh that I can enjoy because the same old thing gets boring, and unless everything in my life is going just right I’m going to welcome change.
As for decisions I’m one to make a choice and see where it takes me because as one of the great and inspirational posters in your room says “no matter how far you go down the wrong path, you can always turn around.” I believe in this quote whole-heartedly because if you make a bad decision you can always recover from it even though the recovery may be a lot harder than just making the right judgment. Recently, I had to make a decision about prom I had ask one girl to go, and about a week or two later a girl who I knew a little better wanted me to take her. I chose to tell my first date that I was going with someone else making me seem like a complete dick. After about a week I was hanging out with my “new” date and she was being a real Negative Nancy and her attitude stayed like that for the next few times I hung out with her. Because of this, I decided that I would much rather go with my first choice so I had to tell my second date that I didn’t want to go with her and beg for forgiveness from my first date. In the end it all worked out. I’m going with the girl that I asked originally and I’m still friends with my second choice. This anecdote just shows that even when you have made a bad decision there is always room for salvation.

melissa gu said...

To me change is another part of life. A part that has to happen whether I like it or not. So it all depends on what kind of change that will happen. Like once I graduate from high school I have to go to college and the college I’m going to is in Savannah, Georgia about a 13 hour drive from my family. Now for me this is change because I am very close to my family, but I if want to be what I want to be than I must go far away for me to grow up and be what I want to be. Anyway I am willing to take on this change because this is my dream college and to me this is going to be my second home that I love very much. But on the other hand when I graduate in the summer I must get a job in order to get use to having a job and upholding the responsibility of having a job so when I go to college and get a job I will be used to. Now this change for me is hard because for one I am a natural born worry wart and two I get lazy sometimes. So I am now afraid that something will go wrong and I’ll get fired or something like that. Don’t get me wrong I won’t a job for the summer, I won’t my own money to spend, but worry wart in me is afraid of the change. Now these two things are equally important and are equally different from what I originally do now, but for me they are completely different change wise. One is something that I really want and I don’t care how I get it and the other I want but it scares me if I do get. I want the college because it seems so fun, new, and something that I will like to do. A job on the other hand is new and independent, but it is also something that I can fail at and something can be not much fun. Choosing something on the other hand for me is easy I can do it all day and I won’t be scared of thing, but when change comes around if it something extremely different I might be afraid but I choose it and I will carry out the task but I will be afraid when I do it.

Mia said...

Sorry it’s so late Ms. Bungee. But change is something I’m really looking forward to. I really can’t wait to step into college, move into my own place, and experience life even more than what I am experiencing now. I really don’t know why I’m yearning for such a change, which is really graduation. I guess it’s just a way to move on I guess. Everything right now seems too easy; I guess you could say for me. I live under my parent’s roof; they pay for all my necessities including clothes, cell phone, food, sneakers etc. But I guess I’m just to the point that I want to be independent. I’m tired of everything just being handed to me. I like to work for the things I want and I guess that’s why I want change to happen quickly. Because I know when I graduate I won’t need to depend on anyone except myself. And that’s a feeling I just love. Accomplishing something that only I worked hard to reach, the feeling that I’m able to get through things on my own without anyone behind me giving me a push. And don’t get me wrong, I’m like this right now; I really loathe getting help from others. I am the type of person to get things done on my own, and I try my best not to get anyone’s help. I guess you could say I’m sort of independent and a little stubborn at the same time. I hope this major change coming along in no more than 5months brings a lot of new experiences and times to remember. And although some may look at me and say that I’m crazy for wanting to move away from having everything to having almost completely nothing but I’m just so curious to see how it will all turn out. And yea bad things happen, so if worst comes to worst I would just have to accept my wrong choice and move one and try to overcome it. And in order to make certain choice I guess I base all my decisions on what side has better outcomes, although that’s not always good. I rarely, rarely ever ask for someone else’s opinion. Because the way I see it, if the choice I made turns out wrong because I followed someone else’s advice I will end up regretting that I ever listened to them and end up blaming them for my mistake and I always try to avoid that. So usually when I’m faced with a hard choice I weigh my options. What will benefit me in the near future? Is there any way this could bit me in the butt later? Is this really what I wanted to do? I asked my self numerous questions before I actually get down to it. And usually this takes a few days sometimes weeks, even months at a time. But this way if the choice I made ends up not being what I actually wanted to do I have no one else to blame but myself and in the end those choices I make, make me stronger.

Jepson!!!!!!!!! said...

Change. I don't really fear it because I don't know what to expect. Sometimes change is good, and sometimes bad. Sometimes it seems bad, but in hindsight is good, and vice versa. But since I don't have complete control over change, I don't really fear it. Regardless of whether I'm afraid, or not ready, change happens. It happens every day. Sometimes I think to my self how awesome it is how things change, even over the course of a single year. I've learned to look at change/life in a positive way. I find it amazing that when you wake up everyday, you have no clue how things are actually gonna play out. And to be honest, when you go to sleep, you can't even been one hundred percent sure you're going to wake up again. That's why one must simply enjoy the ride, for that's all life is: one crazy ride.

As for choice, I'm a little more fearful. Lately I've been thinking heavily about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. I would really love to be involved with music whether it be as a musician, producer, engineer, ceo of my own record label, or better yet, all of the above. But I'm fearful that by following my passion, I would not meet my goals financially. I would be in a field that I love, making me happy, but If I'm struggling to get by, I don't know how happy me, or my family will be. It's quite the game of tug of war going on inside of me right now. I could always play it safe, and become an accountant, live a boring job, but make decent money, but would I be happy? Who knows. That's why I'm a bit paranoid about choices, because when it comes to big life choices, like chasing a career, it's one hell of a gamble, for it's my quality of life on the line. Who knows when I'll ever come to a decision. I'm leaning toward my passion, for that is how I like to live my life, you know, I say it all the time "do what you want, when you want, and you'll truely be happy". But as a selfish, and naturally "greedy" person I want stability with my money. To reach my decision I'll use all of my resources. I'll think of the consequences, I'll seek advice, and I won't make any rash decisions, for I've found the rash decisions aren't always what you wanted to do, but more of a knee jerk reaction.

Jared B. said...

Change is scary! I don’t care what anyone else says, change does not feel like a natural event in life. Sure, we all must experience at one time or another, but any break in my average routine disturbs me greatly. It could almost be considered a pet peeve of mine; it simply annoys me. I know I’m not alone when I say that change is something I tend to avoid— even if it is a good one.
What do I mean by that? Take college for example: I’m not exactly thrilled to be preparing to ship out. Come this September, all we had come to know and manage within the crumbling walls of OHS will be tossed aside and replaced with the hustle and bustle of college life. Nothing is going to be the same anymore, this along with the possible dorm I may end up getting stuck in sooner than later. The very idea of moving so quickly into an alternate realm baffles me completely! Just the thought inspires panic and confusion; I have no idea how I’m going to manage the situation. Though various positives will result of the efforts spent in that school, I can’t help but admit I’m not very anxious to have my world flipped upside down by the waves of change.
Choice, unfortunately, doesn’t get a much better view from me. I often have trouble deciding what video games to pick up at the store. An actual life changing choice is one I tend to avoid. In all honesty, I prefer to have someone, like a teacher or guardian, make those sorts of decisions for me. Its how I’ve handled mine for as long as I can remember now. Why? Well if they get it wrong, there is someone else to blame for the crappy choice. However, if the path was chosen by your hand and your hand alone, you must face the consequences alone.
Soon, perhaps as close as next year for me, every choice I make will be influenced only by my own hand. Ha! The very idea seems so foreign to me right now, it’s not even funny. However, it is inescapable; it would have to happen sometime. It won’t be long now until we’re out of college and on a completely blank road. What then? Will our choices lead the way? It is that very thought right there that makes me fear the decisions we make. What if we mess up? Could we destroy our lives by straying off our destined path? Just how thick is the “good” road? What if it’s as thin as wire?
Choice and change dictate our path and our fated to interfere time and time again. Though I’m fully aware of this, actually accepting is simply impossible for me. Both destroy the comfort zones and the set schedules, leaving only new discoveries in its wake. However, in venturing out, we lose the old and face the consequences ahead. It’s unavoidable, but still something that’ll always get my heart pumping.

Anonymous said...

Change is a really scary thing. When I think about change I start to think about when Obama became president. That was one of America's proudest days. I believe that America needed a change for once. Every single time it comes to choose a president its always the same boring people. But this year we not only had a black man running for president, we also had a woman running for president also. Change can be a very scary thing depending on the kind of person that you are. But in order to make a change in your life, you have to accept the consequences that come along with your decision.

When I came to high school my freshman year, many things began to change in my life. I started to see who my real friends where and began to see who will always be there for me and who won't. I also started to see that people who want to talk s*** really don’t matter to me. I used to get so upset when I heard that someone used to say some stupid rumor about me, but now that I have grown up I began to realize that those people don’t matter to me. In elementary school that really didn’t matter because that’s not what we thought about. all we thought about was babies and having fun.

In my life I have had many changes. One big example is that I’m going to be going to college in about 3 months. I had a hard time deciding where I was going to go. I ended up making a decision in which I didn’t think I would make. mainly, it was because I didn’t want to go far away from my family and leave my boyfriend or sister. which in a way I do think that I am thinking about them when I am making my decisions but I think I need to learn to think about myself for once and not other people. its just so scary for me to start a whole new life some where else. I’ve been used to being with my boyfriend because I have been with him for almost 3 years now, and I guess I’m just scared to be with someone else and having to get to know the person, and also gain trust from them.

I'm not afraid for change. What scares me is where that change is going to bring me. And in which direction my life is going to turn. Usually, I weigh the options and decide whether or not I should do whatevers happening. I think about my morals and what I believe in. I have had the chances to do things that were against what I believed in, but I denied it everytime. I just hope and pray that whatever I decide in life, it leads me in the right direction and if it doesn't then I'll let it be.

Mel said...

We are all confronted by choice every day, the choice to wake up in the morning or not is always the hardest for me. When I am making a choice I always look at all the possible outcomes, but always seem to think of the worst. Most of the time though if I want to do something bad enough it doesn’t matter the consequences because it was something I wanted. Everything we do is going to have a consequence so might as well do things that you want so what you get as a consequence will be worth it. The way I look at it is the small choices will soon fade away and won’t be a big deal anymore. For example coming home to late, it seems like the biggest deal in the world at the time, but eventually it will be done with. All I’m saying is that if I think what I’m doing is worth the consequences I will have to face with my parents I will most likely do it. Sometimes I would say I just do things for the moment which doesn’t always end up the way I want, but made me happy at the moment. I think that moment of happiness is worth it, life will happen no matter what and I will deal with that. With choices that are life changing that is a different story. For the choices I have to make with college and work my mindset will be different. Even if I think it’s not worth waking up one morning or not doing a assignment I will, because what I do and have been doing from now on will affect the way my future will end up. There are only a few people that I will ever go for advice. I’m the type of person that doesn’t really like to complain about life or anything that is happening in it. Rarely when I am in need the most will I go to someone else. This person is usually my friend Wendy because she has been through almost the same things and she is one of the only people that understand me. She has always given me the best advice and it has helped me out through my worst times. Even when I am wrong she never put me down and was always positive about everything she said to me. When I talk to her I know I am safe with whatever I say, not once has she told anyone anything that we have talked about if I told her not to. Over the next few months will be the time period where the most changes are made in my life. Most of the time I don’t like change but this change will be for the better and I’m okay with that. I will be going to college, decide on what car I want, how I will spend my time in the summer. I’m also moving into a new house, it’s not far from where I live now but it’s still going to be a huge change for me since I have lived in the house I do now for my whole life. That is one change I don’t think I will like to much but something that I have to do. I’m a little nervous about what life is going to bring to me but I’m hoping I’ll be ready for it.

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.