Some of you may have seen this video, or updated versions of it, on YouTube. I would like you all to watch it now, speakers up (in order to get the vibe from the groovy Last of the Mohicans track)and really concentrate on what you're reading. Click the link on the side of the screen to watch the video.
Respond to what it says, ask questions of me and of each other, and really consider the implications of what you've learned.
How does this information change the way you view technology? Education? Does seeing these statistics, knowing that they are already obsolete (this video is 2 years old) give you hope for the future or terrify you beyond belief? Why?
(450-500 words/75pts)
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
45 comments:
Last week, a question came up on whether we agree or disagree that technology has gone too far. Still holding my position I agreed to that. Technology is just growing to the point where it’s become too confusing for some people to adjust to. You can hack into anything using technology. Obviously I like the laptops and updated windows versions, but saying that soon technology will be smarter than the human brain is just too much. If we had technology smarter than us, why would we even exist? I would feel pretty pointless living on a planet where technology can do more than my brain can tell me to do. Also how can we use technology that does not exist to train students for jobs that are yet to exist. This makes no sense. That is why technology is too far. You can use it to predict something and train someone for that something. Too, too much ahead. I don’t believe that China will become the number one English speaking country ever. Half of the Chinese people who live here and sell Americans their food that makes a lot of the people I know sick can’t speak English very well. If they are here and can’t speak it, I don’t believe that all the way in China it would be any better. Onto more of my sweet comments why are there so many babies born in China and India in this 6 minutes when here there would be like one-fifth or less of that amount born. Why on earth would Nintendo spend so much more on research than the United States? Less than half of what Nintendo invested is what we put into education. Online couples are just crazy. This takes me back to how crazy technology is now. You can take your picture, Upload that picture, post it all over the internet, and presto you have a date. And from this date, well it could be a crazy person trying to kill you or just the person you think. You can get around anything by posting another person’s picture and saying it’s you. Yeah so I don’t like technology that can help people get killed. Myspace is probably the worst website ever found. Unfortunately, I fell into the trap and I am guilty of having one, but I don’t use it much. All it does is call problems. People get killed, crazy people post as someone your age just to get you, it’s just crazy. As I said, technology that causes pain to others isn’t technology; it’s a waste of money that could be put towards something more important. This is where my only positive point on technology falls. Texting is my God. I can’t go through a day without texting. I use probably 600 a day or more. I don’t think texting is much of a negative. I wish I could explain why I think it is a good thing, but I can say that there is a fallback to it. Obviously if someone takes the recipients phone something can get ugly, but that isn’t all over the news like the deaths and stalkers on myspace users. Sorry I jump all over in this response.
For the final question, it terrifies me beyond belief. I don’t want there to be a machine that can do more than my brain is capable of. I would feel useless. Obviously their creators wouldn’t feel pointless, but for a girl who knows I can’t functionally be part of anything with technology like that, I would feel like I had no place, except the creators slave. Instead of living my life I would be doing everything to give that person enough time to create something even more advanced every time.
Did I know? Nope. I didn’t know any of that stuff that was said. After watching the video, it seems to me like human population is going to come to an end. Technology WILL take over and no one will have any control over what happens. Is it ever too much? How do we know when to stop developing new technology? Is it going to be like global warming where we don’t realize the damage until it’s too late? Before, I thought technology was definitely worth it. Before I watched this I thought of technology as being the greatest invention on Earth and praise its existence. But after this video I question it’s importance. Society was fine before technology had it’s spark. I can’t believe the sudden rise in technology and how everyone is suddenly in need of it. Like a cell phone, for instance, my ten year old cousin has one. I remember I couldn’t get one until I was sixteen and old enough to pay for it myself.
Education? What is education these days. Now a days, I believe that education is underrated. In the video it said that what you learn your freshman year in college will be old news by your junior year. It will be old news because every week new technology is being formed and higher educated lessons must be taught in order to obtain the knowledge necessary to become successful in ones profession. Would this mean that teachers would all have to learn more? So, with that said, I would think the graduating students who are more knowledgeable about the newer subjects would take their jobs.
Seeing these statistics definitely doesn’t give me hope for the future, it terrifies me beyond belief. If our world is changing so quickly, how will the people who live in it already be able to keep up? I’m scared about not only my future, but the future in general. If these statistics are correct, the world is going to become unrecognizable. It’s hard to imagine a world without technology, but it’s frightening to imagine it with more than is already here. Don’t get me wrong, technology has given us the medical research needed to take care of many different illnesses never thought possible. Personally, I believe there should be a stop to technology, but I don’t know where. I think this stop, or temporary pause, would allow humanity to catch up with the brainiacs of tomorrow. Another concern is population itself. We may not be the smartest country when it comes to book work, but at least we have enough o f street smarts to not pop out a baby every second as much as other countries. All this “did you know” doesn’t seem fair but like they said…shift happens.
I don't buy this video at all. It's just your typical propaganda type you tube video. I mean, I can find a video on youtube that has "facts" and "research" that says the world will end in 2012. So, we won't even see any computers in 2049 that are more "capable" then the entire human race. My point being, you can't believe every single video you see on youtube. I mean, of course we are developing a stunning amount of technology, but I'm pretty damn sure that technology won't take over the world. I don't even know how to respond to this, because I don't take this terminator-like fantasy seriously. I do however, feel that education could be done differently as a whole. I don't think you can compare an empire like Nintendo to the money our country spends on research/development for education. Nintendo has worked for their money, and can spend it how the please, free enterprise. Our citizens help to contribute to federal sponsored causes, so maybe people should become a lil more interested in world affairs? i dunno.
this is real mind boggleing to me becasue i am a person who prefers a little old fashion not all high tech. to me in english class i prefer me pencil and paper instead of all this damn computer5 work bunje. i don't trust technology i rather trust my brain and what i learned and those who are trained smarter than me. to me it seems we are more taught by a computer then by the teacher who supposly got the degree to teach us but it doesn't seem like that to me anymore. to me who already doesn't like technology but i do understand it trust me i am not stupid but truely it scares me alot. exspecially the part that says the computerr that will cost 1,000 dollars will be smarter that human race. how is this going to work this is going to cause more issues for the people. it seems that education doesn't matter that much anymore that technology is the main concern so if computer are going to take over what are the people suppose to do sit back and let this happen. tell me you don't find it scary thast china will be the biggest english speaking counrty or that thye have more honored students then all the children in america please scary beyond belief. but is that saying that america is also lazy??? even the government won't further education possibilties like overseas. its totally beyong limits. technology keeps excelling and it not the best for this world or rather say for the people because then computer will be smarter than human wouldn't you be scared. " have you watched wall-e!" to me this video open my eyes to alot of things. especailly knowing that this is two years old i bet myspace is now one of the biggest country if counted now as a counrty. technology is scary and it going to take over the people and this world, you know this is going to cause more issue for people then solving them.one bigger issue is going to be unemployment so you tell me is technology scary and is going beyong the limits that we need it to be or no cause my opinionm is that they are. WELL EVENTUALLY WILL WE NEED TEACHERS??????????
this is real mind boggleing to me becasue i am a person who prefers a little old fashion not all high tech. to me in english class i prefer me pencil and paper instead of all this damn computer5 work bunje. i don't trust technology i rather trust my brain and what i learned and those who are trained smarter than me. to me it seems we are more taught by a computer then by the teacher who supposly got the degree to teach us but it doesn't seem like that to me anymore. to me who already doesn't like technology but i do understand it trust me i am not stupid but truely it scares me alot. exspecially the part that says the computerr that will cost 1,000 dollars will be smarter that human race. how is this going to work this is going to cause more issues for the people. it seems that education doesn't matter that much anymore that technology is the main concern so if computer are going to take over what are the people suppose to do sit back and let this happen. tell me you don't find it scary thast china will be the biggest english speaking counrty or that thye have more honored students then all the children in america please scary beyond belief. but is that saying that america is also lazy??? even the government won't further education possibilties like overseas. its totally beyong limits. technology keeps excelling and it not the best for this world or rather say for the people because then computer will be smarter than human wouldn't you be scared. " have you watched wall-e!" to me this video open my eyes to alot of things. especailly knowing that this is two years old i bet myspace is now one of the biggest country if counted now as a counrty. technology is scary and it going to take over the people and this world, you know this is going to cause more issue for people then solving them.one bigger issue is going to be unemployment so you tell me is technology scary and is going beyong the limits that we need it to be or no cause my opinionm is that they are. WELL EVENTUALLY WILL WE NEED TEACHERS??????????
Technology to me is mind boggling; I mean our world has gone from big clunky CD players to tiny sleek iPods. From huge computers that had to have their own room to computers that fit in the palm of your hands (blackberries). Technology is so good that we now have robotic hands for prosthetics instead of motionless wooden hands. Even thought technology does have some downfalls like cell phones connected to our hands and ears and having machines do all the work for us but without these technical difficulties we wouldn’t have life saving machines or maybe in the future something even better. Before watching the video I thought education was getting better, but apparently Americans are the cavemen of education. I mean I hear my mom saying that when she was younger she never was taught half the things I’m being taught now, so to me we should be at least somewhat near the mind power of India or China. But I guess with all the new technology Americans have become lazier. In the PowerPoint it said that by the time we graduate from college the information that we learned during our freshman year will be obsolete, but isn’t that the point of learning, from one small idea grows a business. If we learn something like how to type then that little skill that we learned back in our past will take us to new heights later on in our life. Therefore I don’t think that learning something in freshman year of college will hurt anything in my future just make it better. This video does have some points to ponder or worry about, but seeing that the information is two years old and that the world can change and has changed in that amount of time gives me hope. Also seeing that the world is going bad and that we have a new president with some new and old ideas in mind might give us a boast in our technology and education department. So I’m not too scared of my future.
Kevin I have to agree with you, it seems to me that the video over exaggerates the growth rate of technology, and especially the concept of a computer exceeding the thought power of a human in the near future seems optimistic and unrealistic. The video also assumes that the rate of growth in technology (an unquantifiable variable) will remain constant throughout the next fifty years. Another place where I disagree with the video is in its discussion of how college majors become obsolete while you're being educated. It seems to me the video is implying that a college degree in almost any field would be completely useless before you graduate. Even though most technology degrees are no longer on the cutting edge, any new developments would take years to implement and your degree would never be totally useless. I do agree with the videos assessment of how so much new information, and so many books are being published that our teaching staff and school system cannot keep up. I have always felt that our educational system is unwilling and unable to acknowledge the vast majority of new information, most of the books we read in English classes have been published at least ten years ago and most teachers fail to make a relevant connection to the older books, (of course your generally the exception Bunje)
I did not know any of that before watching the presentation. That information is scary especially because if everything happens like it says, that is our lifetime. It mentions that during the slideshow, that the people in foreign countries are a lot smarter than us. 25% people with the highest IQs are people in China, and 28% in India. The presentation mentioned that means they have more honors kids than we have kids. I think that we can blame technology for this in our country. If Nintendo invested more than $140 million in research and development in 2002 alone (less than half of what the US Federal Government invested on research and innovation in education), it is understandable why we arent the smartest country. We are more worried about video games than furthering our edication. As a country, we let recreation and leisure take priority over things that are generally more important. As a country, we allow technology to run our lives. The idea that 1 of every 8 couples marries in the US in 2001 met online blows my mind. Text messaging, Google searches, the amount of people subscribed to MySpace are all examples of how we apply technology to our everyday lives. If we would talk a walk to our neighbors house to deliver a message, we would not be the most obese country in the world. If we picked up a book instead of doing a Google search, we might have higher IQs. Technology has taken over peoples lives and educations. When it asked what was the richest in the world, with the strongest military, center of world business and finance, strongest education system, world center of innovation and invention, currency the world standard of value, and the highest living standard, I was sure it was the USA. To my surprise, they were talking about England in 1900. That was scary because they were overthrown by more powerful, smarter people. We are putting our country in the position where there are smarter people that will find a way to intelligently be more powerful than us. If by 2013, a super computer is made that will exceed all capabilities of the human brain, what kind of jobs will we have? There is already a job crisis now. If a $1,000 computer will replace the small amount of jobs that we have left, our country will definitely fall apart. This whole presentation is scary. This is our lifetime, our problems, and we allowed ourselves to be in this position because of technology. Jepson has a very good point about videos on YouTube. You can only believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see these days. I understand where is he is coming from as far as not trusting the information in the slideshow. However, even if the facts and figures were not accurate, I got a pretty strong message from the overall presentation. If we allow technology to take over our lives, it will.
That was a pretty powerful slideshow. I would have never guessed upon those facts ever. They would’ve never have crossed my mind and it was really interesting to learn about them. Some of the stuff seemed a bit far-fetched and I don’t know if I believe all of it. When I think of technology, I think of cell phones and gadgets and such, so I never really thought about all the other things that make up technology other than the things people around me have. It’s quite amazing that technology is gaining so much potential so quickly. I can’t even imagine what will come in the future. I can hardly keep up with technology now and it seems all too fast for me. I personally am not a fan of technology because I do believe it does so fast and it’s just so expensive. I like to consider myself the traditional or old-fashioned gal. Well, sort of. The education facts were quite interesting. I knew China was smart and all, but I didn’t know they were THAT smart. I still can’t grasp the idea of them being so ridiculously advanced. I always thought America was pretty smart too, but compared to China, I think that we actually are lacking in the knowledge department compared to other countries. Education is, I believe, the most important thing in a person’s life. I guess because that’s my view, I just expected the rest of America to feel the same way, but I was wrong. I’m almost ashamed of my country because we aren’t what it is cracked up to be. From these statistics, the United States doesn’t seem so big and bad, and better than any other country. In fact, it’s almost the opposite. Now knowing that this video is in fact 2 years old and that the technology, education, population facts are probably even more than what the slideshow represents, I’m terrified for the future. It just shows how competitive life is, especially between countries and individuals. I find it amazing how things can progress so quickly, but what does that really do for us? Does it solve conflicts and war? Does it generate world peace? No. Technology, in fact, does the opposite. With countries being better than others, it creates even more conflicts and competition. There will be such a rush to become better and people will go crazy over it. It is already hectic and has driven countries’ differences in the wrong direction for the wrong purposes. Instead of admiring how different we all are and respect that, it just turns into a battle to try to “one-up” each other. I think it’s scary that people can fall into this black hole of advancing so quickly that majority of its countries’ citizens can’t keep up. I really believe, if advances keep improving this rapidly, that it will make the world crumble and eventually diminish.
Wow who ever made this video must really like the like the terminator because this is what it seems like that they are trying to say is going to happen. Like a computer that can outsmart the entire human race who would be stupid enough to create something like that. Even a computer that’s smarter than a human that’s just stupid. Computers are made in order to assist humans in their tasks not to “replace” us. I don’t know about the whole technological career thing either. It just makes me glad that I’m studying something that has nothing to do with technology in any way. I’m majoring in military strategic studies so I’m not worried about it but it is still pretty crazy. I just wish that everything wasn’t ruled by technology. Sometimes I just want a pen and a piece of paper. Education though is a big deal throughout the entire world and America seems to be behind the eight ball. Even though I know that there is no high school student who wants to hear it but there just needs to be more school days in order for us to catch up with the other countries. The reason though that I think china has more honors students then we have students is because of the amount of students that there are china compared to the amount of students in America. What I really want to know is what is the ratio of honors students to total students in China compared to that same ratio in America because that would be the true indicator of what is the difference between our educational systems is. Also I would like to see the percentage of high school students who go to college after high school in China.
This blog brings me to back up my oppinion to the question whether or not if technology is going to far. From the research it shows that citizens of the U.S depends on the use of the internet entirely too much. It showed that there are over 2.7 billion searches performed on Google each month. This shows that people rely on the internet, like i said "entirely too much." I wounder what would we do if we didnt have any technology. How would we get our information?
This made a heavy effect on the way i view technology. I first began to think that the more technology we have, the more it would help the United States way of living in a positive way. Technology will just continue to grow and it will take over the human race. Human would be basically be slaves to technology. During the video, it said that "predictions are that by 2049 a $1,000 computer will exceed the computational capabilities of the human race." That is so scary, what would be the need for us. We would be useless. We would need too many jobs to survive, because it would be hard to find a job that would need a humans caoabilities. Most likely it would be taken over by some type of computer.
As far as education goes, i belive there would be less education and ignorance will grow as the years pass. They will began to teach us less because they would be wasting the time and the money. I just see it as a game, your always going to put the best in first so why not go with the perfection by putting the computer in over humans. The growth of the technology useage will continue to grow untill it reaches the point where humans will be needed no more.
LOL. groovy. hahahah. anyways. happy st. patty's day bunje ! so i watched this video a good three times... and it just seems like a total ramble to me of just random information that had nothing to do with one another. i mean, i kind of get the concept but it just was way too many facts and concepts and it honestly started hurting my brain, especially tonight. hahah. i read on a snapple bottle once that 90% statistics that are given are actually not accurate but who's to really know accuracy anyways ? it's all an estimate to me or a hypothesis i suppose. it doesn't really change my perception on the world. i mean, the numbers aren't really too surprising -- when it comes to china or india or babies or google. so i guess i'll start rambling on and being random myself about my view on this video. china makes too many babies, that's been a given. so outweighing how many people there are as i said before does not surprise me. i knew that england was a very high maintenance and expensive place to live because i've experienced it first-hand. and the whole nintendo thing, you have to give money to get money back... and i have no doubt in mind they got more than quadruple than what they spent. it sucks that the U.S government talks about education so much and doesn't really give out as much... and they wonder why the drop out rate is so high, for real. i heard that if myspace was a country it'd be a pretty damn big country and it doesn't surprise me. technology will be better as time goes on, there's no doubt about that and the whole shift happens thing is definitely true. i just think people are making way too big of a deal of something that nobody should be surprised about. ever watched wedding crashers ? "we use 10% of our brain." i totally believe that and if we used the other 90% i think the world would explode from our knowledge. we would be living off robots, i dont even know if humans would exist anymore by then if we really exceed and surpass more than 50 percent of the knowledge that we have now. i dont think we ever will but it could be possible one day. i mean with all the 2074 and 2049 talk on the "did you know" video by then i know everything will be so chaotic. but i really don't have much of a view to me just because it doesnt surprise me so i guess it's whatever to me really.
When you asked the class if they thought that technology was getting too out of hand these days, I agreed. How ever, now I completely think technology has gone too far. Just to think that the New York Times has more info in it then what someone would learn in their lifetime in the 18th century is mind boggling. To see how far we have come is amazing but oh my goodness. Today I feel as if technology just rules out all the extra steps in doing something. For a general idea , like a remote to turn on the television.
As far as education, I never thought China will be the top english speaking country. Also, people are being taught things for jobs that don't even exist yet. It's as if these people are getting a look into the future.
All I have is one word... TERRIFIED..! Whe it come to all this technology and the future I seriously think of the terminator. It's as if everyday billions of people are consumed by technology, always trying to improve on it. I mean, holy crap, all the people on myspace could be the 11th largest country, myspace pages are checked over 30 times a day, and the amount of text messages recieved and sent everyday exceeds the population of our planet. It is as if one day soon in the near furture all this technology is going to consume the people and over power our minds and that is freakin scary..!
Wow, those facts made me think that everything is changing and it’s definitely going to be different in the next couple of years with new technology. It does seem that it only takes about two years that the new thing comes out, like when there was an I pod, then the nano came out, and not even a year the video came out. And then about two years the I pod Touch came out, and then the second I pod touch came out basically the same year. Technology is moving way to fast and I think that there are some things that are way ahead of our time, and some things that people have that they absolute do not need. If this keeps going on I think that people will get too lazy and start relaying on the new technology to do things for us. The human race will not be the same in twenty years and I think it’s going to be a scary place to live in. I hope that things do not go that way and people stop relaying on things that work for them. Basically like robots and things will start doing a lot of work for us and I know it sounds so stupid but who is to say that they might not turn on us and take over. I know back when our parents were growing up they didn’t have all the stuff we do today and they turned out fine. I actually sometimes wish there weren’t things like videos games so people weren’t so lazy and just go out instead of playing all day. I know whenever I want to play something outside I do not want to do it alone, but sometimes my brothers are too busy playing that they won’t want to go out and have a catch or shoot around. I think without some of the technology we have today people would live. Some things just get overwhelming and it’s too much for us to handle. I am not saying that every electronically thing should be taken away, just some of the things that are overused when they are not needed. Like why have an I pod touch when you can have a regular I pod. Soon everything Is going to be touch, or sound operated. There already is too much technology around us and I think people should just slow things down, life is going to get too hectic and countries will come out with the “newer” weapon and that leaves all the other countries in fear. I was happy with all the new technology and stuff that came out and always excited about getting it, but now I am scared about what’s going to happen in the future.
I feel somewhat overwhelmed with some of the facts in the video. Many of them seemed to be unreal almost. When it comes to technology I feel things may be getting a little to out of hand. The fact that a thousand dollar computer could be smarter in a sense than a human is crazy. People use technology to do so many things now which is just adding on to how lazy people can be. For instance why actually hand write a paper out when you could sit at a computer and type it or even copy and paste someone else’s work off of the internet and pass it off as you own. I know that even I sometimes tend to try and find the shorter or easier way out of doing things. One of theses day it will probably all ketch up to me and I will have no clue what to do. But, anyways I think some day or some point in time technology is going to take over the world. You can almost do anything these days without have to get up from a chair sitting behind your computer. Things have even gone so far these days to we have robots that can perform surgery on humans and that is crazy. What to people go to school for eight years for and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on for when a robot can just do it? Now when it comes to education the fact that china will be the number one English speaking country is very shocking but in some ways its not. The culture is so different over there to me it almost seems as if you are born with a goal or mission all ready set for you at birth you have to be a good student and master everything you do and normally you have that one thing you are amazing at. For instance when the Olympics was just held there was the huge story about the girls on the gymnastics team and there age in China both boys and girls are taken to a training facility you could call it without there parents and go through extensive training and then try to move on to higher levels. The whole myspace thing is completely crazy to me. So many people are what I would say addicted to that site I myself can tend to be but I am more of a facebook person myself but anyways that is a lot of people to be the 11 largest countries in the entire world from one website. This fact proves how technology will eventually take over everyone lives. The whole college thing is overwhelming to know that what you learn in your first year won’t mean anything by the third is crazy to me. When it comes to the future I am completely terrified for what is to come.
That video was confusing. I didn't understand more than half the information in it but that could be attributed to the fact that I am not very technologicly savy. It was all interesting put it had no effect on me what so ever except that it confused me. The information does not change the way I veiw technology or education what so ever. It doesn't effect me at all because almost everything is obsolete by the time it comes out because something better has been created or is being created.
it changes my view on technology a lot. i think it is getin way out of had and that we are going to get are self into something that we are not going to be able to get us out of. i think we are being too curios into things that we shouldnt be too curios about and that we are not being curious enough into the right thing. as well as the education i see it being advancing befor my eyes. because i have to help my lilttle sister on her homework ever night and to me it seems like she is doin work that is post to be two grades ahead of her. i feel bad for her because its like she kind of dont have time to be a kind because she cant grasp the concepts in school and when she come home its even worse and by the time she gets done its almost time for bed. around her age i would of been did my homework on the bus and when i got home i would just drop my stuff at the door and would be looking for someone to play with. yes it does give me hope for the futre thinking that the technology will help us improve and make this a better place for us but the way people are going about things i think i am on the terrified side. i dont know i think i will be able to make a more set decison depending on how obama leads us out of the hole that we are in.
All I can say is WOW!!! The video was very interesting to watch. The world is forever changing in these days. Do I believe it all, no, but I think that some parts of it are true. I already kind of knew that China and India were ahead of us far as education wise because they are really big on that in those countries. They drill lessons into the students which leaves them no room for relaxation. Does all this change my view in technology?? Not a chance. I still believe that technology has and will go too far. Look at all the things that they are trying to do now with cloning things and trying to make people live longer which in result would make the world even more overpopulated than it already is. The education part of the video was kind of funny saying how teachers are preparing students for jobs that are not yet created, students going to college and by their third year the information they learned would be outdated, and so forth and so on. Seeing these statistics doesn't affect me at all in any shape,way,or form. I would have to agree with Kevin and Mike that this is a propaganda video that was well thought out. Like I said before, some things look like they could have a little bit of truth in them but that's about it. The main purpose of the video was to get you thinking about how the U.S. is being passed by all of these other countries and how we're lazy when it comes to teaching and funding certain things. There is still hope for people and all that, they should take this video seriosly.
Ok for starters I had to watch the video like two times because the first time I watched it I didn't get anything out of it. I didn't feel scared or anything so I watched it again. So the second time I watched it, the point that was trying to get across sank in and I have mixed emotions about the technology video. Part of me thinks all the statistics and points that were made was just a bunch of crap to brain wash people and scare them. Its like how everyone thought all the computers were going to shut down and we were all going to die in 2000. Look, nine years later were all still alive and kicking and everything is working fine. People were scared for no reason because they listened to things like what was said in this video. Now no on the other hand I was surprised by how much technology we do use everyday and don't realize it. Like how the amount of text messages sent exceeds the population of the world or how if myspace were a country it would be the 11th largest. Yes, that information is shocking but is it really that bad? Does it matter how many textes are sent or how many people met online or how many google searches are done each month. When you asked us if we thought technology has gone too far I said no it hasn't because I don't think its a bad thing that we have the technology that have because it improves our lives. We can find cure for diseases, find more information about things that can benefit us. All the stuff that was said in the video was unimportant. What should have been said was that god gave people the ability to have technology to use it for the greater good. People are the ones who corrupt it to make it worse its not the technology its self.
Well' the first thing I have to say is that that video was crazy. I do also feel as though the video was a little over dramatic. I do not think it is possible for a computer to become smarter than a human. Computer's intelligence is artificial, therefore they can not do what our minds are capable of doing. For, example, a computer is not going to have the ability to think on its own. The reason is because computers are programmed. They done whatever humans create them to don, and they only know as much as humans want them to. On the other hand, if we do become a world run by computers, and the computers just decide to go psycho on us we would be screwed. We would count on computers to do everything, but when they decide to do nothing, we will be lost. It like putting our lives in the hands of a computer, and letting them decide our fate.
In the beginning of the video I felt “dumb” down. The beginning of the video made it seem like everything I learned did not compare to the students my age across the world. The sad part it that it is probably true. I go to Oakcrest, its not the best nor the most known school. We are like the best of the worst. I feel as though Oakcrest does not fully prepare us for our future. The beginning simply talked about how everyone in the other country is basically smarter than us. For example, it said that 28% of the people with the highest IQ in China is more than in North America, also India's 28% as well. They are basically saying that 28% of the people in India are smarter than all of us in North America. I sort of believe it, because few people take education serious in America. Everyone wants to grow up and get a career that involves the least amount of education in it. Take modeling for example, how do you plan and prepare to grow up to be a model. What if your features are just not what's in at the moment. What if you just went ugly over night. A "career" in modeling is just an example of how people try their best to stay away from education in America. I still feel as though it is a little overdramatic.
The part about people job hoping. I know who either can't keep a job or just can't stay at a job. Some just get fired and leave it that way until they fall into another job. Others like my sisters just cannot stay at one job. She either decides to leave or makes it so they have to fire her. In the end she always gets another job. Me on the other hand is incapable of leaving the job I am at.
This information does change the way I view technology. It makes me think about what the future may hold and it makes me think whether our technology will some day take us over. It makes me wonder how lazy were going to get in the future, we are already lazy today with robotic vacuum and just everything we do. We barley do anything for our sleeves now so I cant imagine what it will be like in future. Were going to have stupid things like automatic tooth brushers and just dump inventions that we don’t really need. Technology is there to help us not for us to depend on it. For education I cant see much changing. Yea china has more honor students then we have students but that have a butt load of kids there! So for the most part I don’t think technology will change education other then just new inventions we will use in school. Knowing that theses statistics are 2 years old scares the poop out of me. The facts we just watch were very shocking and to imagine that that numbers have gone up just make me think what life will really be like in the future. I just hope that out technology wont be out downfall like in irobot or Terminator. I think at the rate were going it those movies can turn into real life. People will never be happy with that technology we have and always try to make it more advanced and try to make it more human like, and that’s where in the movies the robots kill us. I just hope the future will being peace and kindness to our world and make it a better place.
Earlier in the week, you did a exercise with us in which you asked wheither or not technology has gone to far. I agreed, and i still agree but not I'm not so sure on wheither i think technology going far is a bad thing.
Watching this video was a shock, and i couldnt believe half the stuff they said on there. China being the top english speaking country? Nitendo spending all that money on research and technology? A computer smarter then the human brain? What the hell has the world come to bunje! Thats freakin preposterous. I can't believe how technologically advanced we are and how much money we spend on it when there's millions of poor people out there.
Also, it was scary to actually know how dumb us american's are. Now i feel like an idiot lol. So basically there's more HONORS kids in india and China then there is in the U.S period. WOW. We need to step our game up, like now. I can't believe how much the goverment talks about improving education and more money is spent on silly things. Now i feel like there a bunch a phonies and North America isnt as great as other countries make it seem. " The Land of Oppurtunites" , oppurtunities that arent even here yet because people are getting trained for jobs not even created yet!
Despite all of this i do have hope for the future, and i think for the most part all this technology will better us, but at the same time make us fat slobs since we dont have to do anything anymore.
This video had no effect on me personally. It had no effect because I do not think that most of the things said are true. The thing that made me particuraly angry was the thing about a computer exceeding the capabilities of the human mind. That was an incorrect statement because there is no limit, YET, to the capabilities of the human mind, so it is impossible for them to predict that. Another thing that made me mad was all the statistics that they used during this video. Any statistic can be manipulated to make it seem more important or scary. I still believe that advances in technology are necessary because wouldn't all the risks be worth it if we cured cancer. I do think that we should put more money towards education because education is the most important thing. If there was no education there would never be those advances in technology. If I was going to take any of these statements serious I would need to see some evidence to support them.
After shockingly watching the video and reading "did you know?” I would have to say no I did not know, or have any clue about any of the statistics I was reading. If anyone ever says to me your one in million, I definitely won't take it as a compliment. And knowing like all of china can read and write in English better than me, makes me a little mad. And also, the 1 out of 8 couples in the world met online is so creepy. Like people are seriously dependent on technology so much they need it to find a date? And where did all the words just disappear to from Shakespeare’s time? It’s really weird…
Oh, but two things did not surprise me AT ALL. One was that the number of text messages sent and received every day exceeds the population on the planted. I don’t know one person my age that doesn’t text, and many adults do to so it had to be true. The other was that it will only take a $1,000 computer to exceed the capabilities of the human brain in 2023. Computers are so high tech right now that a computer will probably come out before 2023.
This information makes me change the way I view technology because I’m very curious as to what kinds of electronics will be out just next year. I never took notice as too how much technology changes all the time, and it’s so weird knowing in a few years, everything I know now about technology would be pointless. It gives me hope to the future, but also terrifies me. Yea technology is out there to help us and make our lives easier, but what about the ways it can be used to harm us? I really just scares me what people are going to come up with to hurt us.
All those facts made me think about how life is now and how life is going to change in the next couple of years. I do not believe that a computer will ever be smarter then a human. People are smart enough not to build as computer that exceeds that persons intelligence. I have seen movies like I Robot and Eagle Eye that people have made that mistake. I don't think that will ever happen though. I view technology in a different way now. The part that was unbelievable to me was the myspace fact and the fact about the text messages. I didn't believe that so many people text and have a myspace account. Education in other countries is more advanced and more stressed more. Thats why all the big corporations are in foreign countries. More money is spent on video games research and development then research involving education in the United States. No its scares me. If anybody is going into a career in computers or something to do with technology school is a waste of money. The reason is because the information is always changing. The purposed of this video was to open peoples eyes about whats going on in the world and what is the world is projected to do. If the United States put more enthusiast on education maybe there wouldn't be such a debt. There wouldn't be such a need for trading with other countries. People would find a way to get the stuff that we need.
Wow! These statistics are unreal. I don’t think that people will create a computer that is smarter then humans. Its not that we don’t have the capability. If we have computers that are smarter then humans then all humans would be obsolete. This is a very bad thing because there will be more job loss then ever before. However this could be a good thing. This could be the start of the worlds utopia. Once we have computers to do everything for us all luxuries will be cheaper. Yes there would be less jobs but there would be jobs that robots or computers can not do. There is always a need for people in the planet. I feel that the statistics about china and its honer student makes us look stupid. however i believe that we have better living conditions. this is due to our lack of over population. i dont think that technology will ever go to far yes i think in some aspects technology is bad but overall it is mainly used to help humans and to extend our lifes. if it wasnt for technology more people would be dying today from the common cold. this doesnt mean everybody will but the death rate would be signifigantly higher. i dont believe all the information in this vidio but some of it has a certain aspect of truth. thre whole show was a veiw of statistics that were created by people. a world of robots will never be able to survive with out a human to supervise. and eventualy these statistics will chane and people will have other thing to worry about rather then technology.
that video had a lot of crazy stuff such as the myspace country and the populations of china and all that. i do believe those facts but the assumptions of technology take over are a bit ridiculous in my opinion. this video has showed me much we are advancing and at such a rapid rate. the fact that when freshmen students are juniors their freshman education will be obsolete is almost a bad thing. sure technological advances are good but at this rate it is almost too fast. this information doesn't change my view about technology but just makes me thing of how much we have become dependent on it. the way they go about education is horrible the fact that more was spent on nintendo than on education is almost depressing. sure nintendo made its money to fund its research but the government could try a little harder to help us help ourselves. i do have some hope for the future though. i mean i can only imagine what technology will be around and how much easier some things will be. but also i am worried that we will become so dependent of technology that we will lose all ability to do things ourselves or by hand.
Ponce you are right! This video is pretty nuts but so over dramatic. Like come on its like trying to beat a dead horse. Oh no technology is taking over we should all run away because computers that can function like a brain will take over. Come on this is stupid and people are watching to many scifi movies. I guess you could say that as technology advances we will become more lazy. Maybe its just the people that take the technology for granted will become more lazy. Computers won't be able to get any faster because they will break the laws of physics so don't get your hopes high of a computer brain. Of course technology will advance for people studying in the computer fields. Some technology won't become obsolete because the new stuff is based off of old principals. To understand how stuff works in todays time you need to go back and look how it was created. Its hard keeping up with the daily flow of new data. I think schools suffer from this because there is so much out there. Oh yea fiber optics good stuff right there? Does anyone have a clue what Nec stands for : p? National Electric Code. Do you know when the code is updated? Hmmm I will guess no. Nec is updated every 3 years and all that new technology cannot be used until it is adopted or when the new code book comes out. Which takes longer then 3 years because it takes a while for Underwriters laboratory to make a complete agreement with Nec. This actually proves that this is kind of BS! Like Mike said, 'The concept of a computer exceeding the thought power of a human in the near future seems optimistic and unrealistic.” Go look at Jepsons post he has a good idea about this. I think that this is so off the wall that its wasting my energy to type this. No offense Bunje I just think if this person is going to post a video with all these facts where is the cited page with all his references?!!?!??!
I am still deciding on this video trying to figure out if the facts stated we’re actually real. If they are then that is just crazy, unbelievable, as well as being scary. Some of the facts stated like there are more text messages received and sent per day than there are of the human race blows my minds away. Think about that; for every single person breathing on this earth there is a text message sent or received some how. Parents and even the youngest of kids are getting more and more dependent on cell phones and in some cases use ‘text messages’ in case of emergencies rather than call. This information changes the way I see technology (if it’s real) for the worse. I think that we the people have become way too dependent on technology, myspace and facebook for example. Since myspace has enough users to become its own country I think that it should be shut down because people need to get off they’re computers and go do something else. But most of all the video changes the way I look at OUR education greatly; it makes the United States school look like a joke. The facts that we’re stated were embarrassing, and just a disgrace. China is about to be the number one English speaking country and it’s not even their first language. The other fact that is crazy is that there are more honor students in China than there are students here; that just shows that some of our teachers (mostly students) don’t want to teach/learn. Seeing the statistics scares me for the future because it shows how dependent we already are for technology now, how will it be in 20, 30 years? I believe that the ‘super computer’ shouldn’t be built in the future if it knows more than the human race, there are some things that shouldn’t be known.
Some of the statistics presented by this video have showed me that technology is advancing quickly. I have hope for the future because if people are smart enough to create this great machines then they should be smart enough to realize the implications that may be caused by their existence. I think that technology has the ability to destroy mankind as well as the world as we know it, but this doesn't worry me because, for one, i try not to worry about ridiculous things like this that are basically inevitable once the whole idea is put into motion, and secondly because i think that technology has started to be used to better our world since everyone is all about going green and bettering the environment.
Besides the technological statement made by this video i think that a lot of the statements made by this video are ludicrous. I'm not saying that they are untrue but hey china has more honor students than America has people. Cool. I'm happy for china. They also happen to have over a million more people altogether so for that info to be presented in the slide show is just stupid in my opinion.
As for our education it's no surprise that after two years what we learn tends to become obsolete. Since technology is moving so fast so is what we have to learn. This doesn't unset me or terrify me i just accept it as what our education is in the era. The fact that we're being taught info for problems and skills that don't exist yet just shows that we as a people have started to think ahead and prepare for the future.
Honestly i don't really think that this slide show has anything substantial to say besides the fact that we're moving into the future fast and we're planning ahead which is already shown through tons or other types of media. So in my opinion this presentation was just a bunch of meaningless statistics meant to scare people into fearing the future.
As I watched the video I was pretty shocked at some of the things that I seen. There were a lot of crazy facts and some that seemed they could be made up. The things about MySpace were defiantly believable because so many people use it. But the things like have computers that are smarter then the human race seem a little shaky. If they did that then what point would there be to have us in the world. The video really pointed out that we are advancing very quickly and maybe even a little to fast. It said that the information that a college freshman will learn will be out dated bye the time they are a junior. That is way to quick of a pace to move at. The video did not change my view on technology. I have always thought that we depend on it to much and this video just proved my point. We have become way to dependent on all technology. When it comes to the education part of it its really bad. To see that Nintendo spent more on research then was spent on education. That is not good at all. Education is important to everyone and should be one of the top priorities. I want to say that I have hope for technology in the future. I hope that I can hope for it. It would be really bad if it gets to bad. If it comes to the point where we depend to much on it and cant do a single thing for ourselves then that will be bad and all hope would be shattered.
After watching this video my mind was reeling. So many facts were thrown at me in so little time, it was a little hard to take in. overall it was an insightful piece of information ant I wish I had more time so I could watch it again and get a better understanding of it. As of right now my view on technology has changed. I went from not knowing or caring to a little frightened and worried. First of all I never knew that china or India were ever that heavily populated, those guys need to calm down. And as for all of the technological advances we have made throughout the years I feel that it is good to want to learn and strive for knowledge but I also feel, after hearing some of those statistics, that we are moving a little too fast and eventually will be our downfall. I don’t mean to sound crazy when I say this but you know that movie the terminator with Arnold? Well I somewhat think that we are headed in that direction. I’m not saying that robots are going to start running around killing people (although it is a good possibility) but you get what I’m trying to say. I feel that technology in some ways is just going too far. Especially if the world ever turns into what is described in the first chapter of the book we just started. When the “hatchery” is described I was a little uneasy. The word hatchery itself puts me on edge.
I don't like it. The video stated a lot of facts but how do we know they are true. I would not doubt for a second that it is mad by a group of people who don't believe in technology. I do believe we are advancing too quickly, but I am not yet convinced we are at a stage where we grow too much for our own good. It doesnt make sense that a computer can be smater than a human. Sure, i would see how they can possibly be faster than a human, bu as far as learning and thinking, There is no way. I do not fear the future at all, the only thing I fear is the government collapsing becuase it's so corrupt and we are going to have no money. As far as not being the strongest country like it was said in the video, I find that believable. We have been going down hill becuase of selfish greedy people. I think that soon education concerning college will mean nothing, about 30 to 35 yeras once all of the carpenters and plumbers retire who is going to do all the work? The people with degrees will be struggling to find a job, becuase so many other people majored in the same area. And it's going to lead back to another depression and we will need to somehow say do not go to college to fresh out of high school students. Everything is changing so rapidly it almost does depress me. I wish i live in the 1940's i would be very happy, just the amount of respect everyone had, and how simple everything was so much there was to do. Now there is nothing, everything has been done. People got smarter as time went on, not technology. We are the ones who made technology bettter becuase we have gotten much smarter over time, and that is hard to grasp. Seems impossible but it's the only logical answer.
Earlier in the week or last week you asked us a question about technology. The way I interpreted your question was do we believe technology is going too far, and I believe yes. Check this out, ten maybe fifteen years ago families we’re closer, jut from the sheer fact children were not constantly texting. I for one know every time I’m food shopping, eating dinner, or out with my family I am always hearing my mom saying “put that phone away!” it’s not only an addiction many people in the world have but it is socially rude. In class when we were debating whether or not we think it is rude to use your cell phone while a teacher is talking; I think it is completely rude, but I do it. It’s not that I don’t know how to control myself but it’s so easy to just send a quick text rather then not answer. Also now that most children have computers, TV’s, lap tops, cell phones, or just phones in their bedrooms that’s where they tend to spend most of there time, and that is not a good thing at all. I believe you end up loosing a relationship with your family member’s but I still do it … why? Because it is an addiction. I can go on facebook jus to check it, and I’ll wind up being on an hour. I’m still contemplating whether or not some of these statistics are true in the video like the one about there with be 3 hundred something babies born in a matter of a 6 minute video in India sounds crazy to me. Or how myspace has so many members it could be its own country. And it’s crazy the New York Times holds more information then the 18th century ever did. Also when I saw the fact on how China has more honors students then we have children is crazy. I just cannot get over that. When I saw the slide about how one person can send over 1,000 text messages a day was not a shock at all to me, not saying this is necessarily a good thing. Another scary thing is that in 2013 the smartcomputer will exceed the human brain. So basically we will not have to use our brain because a computer can do the work for us, who wants that? Who wants to loose there education to a damn piece of technology I know for one I don’t! Sure computers and cells phones are great, but it is not great they are taking over our lives. If I get my cell phone taken from my parents for a night I go crazy, is that normal? NO, but why do I still react that way. I’m so use depending on myself I can’t live without it. But the most disturbing statistic to me on this video is that by our junior year of college all the knowledge we earned in our first two years of college will basically be useless. They definitely didn’t push me into going to college, it made me want to wait and not waste my money. I believe that if technology goes too far, such as those damn smartcomputers the human brain is going to go to waste. I’m all for certain technologies, but I think too much of it could cause problems. In a way I am very nervous for the future, because I do not want to be run by a computer, or have all my work at college thrown a way, or have children elsewhere be better then be just because I’m one in a million. I want my future to be successful, and filled with success I received from hard work and determination not just that some computer gave me. SO now I did not know, but now that I do I am not so happy so this brings us to another question from class is ignorance bliss?
this video is crazy, it made me open my eyes and made me realize alot. i never knew china has more honor students than we have kids. that is crazy, i mean there are alot of smart kids over there but i never knew they have that many, how could that be?. and also china wil soon to be the number one english speaking country in the world. when you said it in class ms bunje i said thought to myself like that is impossble but now that iam reading this,it made alot of sense to me and now i believe it. myspace, myspace,myspace. if myspace was a country it would be the 11th largest country in the world. i do believe that, because ever since i was 12 years old i had a myspace and all my friends, and so did all there friends. ( myspace is overrated now ). this video changed my whole point of veiw about technology. in class when you asked if technology was going to far and i said to myself no,but now i changed my point of view after watching this shocking video. i just came home from work and im trying to do as much as i can bcause this is due at 11:00,i dont even have enough time to think but anyway, i cnt believe how tecnology advance so much. i just hope our in our future everyone have good enough knowlege to be some 1. in the future people will become more smarter. i also hope that all of this technology brings us peace. there are so much things in this world that we still dont know about and were getting closer and closer.
These facts change the way that I see the population. I knew that America's population was growing but it seems like nothing compared to India,and China. There is a big difference between 60, 244 and 351 babies. China clearly must care more about the value of an education than in the U.S., because the twenty five percent of students with a higher IQ is greater than our entire population. The myspace fact backs up the idea that we a peoplle rely heavily on techonology. I still don't think though that we rely to much on techonoly I am not going to be worried until we have machines doing every thing in our daily lives for us like the movie WallE. As long as we don't reach that point techonology has to keep advancing. I know that things and items become obsolete, but humans can't, because we are the ones making the things obsolete. Science formulas,computers,and cell phones become useless every day because humans are the ones making the better versions of them. Since we create the techonology it's impossible for us to become obsolete. This gives me hope for the future, it lets me know that humans capacity for learning and creating new things is unstoppable.
The future is scaring.. in every sense.
I both dread and look forward to the upcoming future. However, this is probably no different from every other minor view on the planet. Constantly, we, as seniors preparing to depart onto new voyages, are told to look towards our bright futures and to take hold of it without fear. However, even in such a view, I can't help but to give our fate a timid eye. Just what is to become of the human race and of me in new times? I suppose only time will tell.
Our brains will be surpassed by the average computer by 2049. Personally, I do not believe it is possible for some machine to outdo us all, but when pondering the boundless possibilities I can't help, but wonder what would become of us if this were to happen. Would we be considered obsolete? What if the technology were smart enough to rule over us altogether? What if we become so dependent on these devices that we lose the ability to function without them? What if we are made the supreme race and cure diseases and pave a bright future with the oncoming age? The possibilities are limitless! I don't know what to expect; I merely pray that our changes both to technology and the world lead to something positive in the end.
A thought, before proceeding.. What of these other countries without technology now? What of Africa, for instance; are these people without our boundless technology considered 'obsolete' now due to the lack of supplies there. I would hope not, but would their pure antics be shunned by our wave of technology? What would become of us? Of them? I can't help scream the question over and over as I watch this video.
"What does this mean? Where are we heading? Is this good or bad news?"
In the end, what more can I say other than the questions? Our fate seems sealed right now almost; technology slowly takes us even as we speak. It dictates everything! I've even see smartboards and other devices popping up more often Oakcrest even. Is chalk now becoming obsolete too? It seems precious only a few years ago..
What is to become of us?
Only time will tell..
Personally I believe that the facts given in this presentation are one sided because while technology is growing at a rapid rate, in one area of the country there are still areas that are not progressing as fast. For example, government facilities tend to move at a slower pace than publicly owned companies. This is because of all the approvals and regulations that the government faces before producing a product. One example is they are still using C + language that has been outdated for about ten years verses Java which most programmers are now using. Also to change all the systems in this country to Java would be costly and time consuming. In addition there are thousands of FAA employees and service contractors across the United States, these are employees that are using outdated programming but are still employed. If the FAA regulates all public airports how advanced could those airports actually be? What does this mean for other countries? My aunt went to Peru last year and took twenty books to teach the children for three weeks. She found that these children didn’t have any books. These children were excited because these books were their new technology. She decided to come back and start a nonprofit organization called, One For The Books, just because this place in Peru and the children didn’t have any books. Ironically somewhere in this world three thousand books are being published a day! What does that say about this world? There will always be third world countries just like there will always be countries with number one economies such as, England. Some how the world always finds a way to create balance, there is always going to be a positive and negative. The internet technology was suppose to cut down the use of paper yet in Costa Rica the rain forests are rapidly disappearing for that exact reason, paper being produced. China is overpopulated so they should just continue eating babies (just kidding). Regardless of all the facts there is one fact that remains, that we live in an ever changing environment and it doesn’t matter what the rate of speed. After seeing these statistics I have hope for the future because I am in the middle of this growth of technology where people in Peru are basically outside of the loop. I know that I will always remain educated and up to speed with technology because it is part of my existence. My grandmother and older generations; however, will have a difficult time adjusting to the new technology given the fact that there education system wasn’t as advanced. The idea is not to fear technology but to embrace it, learn it, and adapt to growth in a changing environment.
I must admit this really is an intimidating and kind of scary video to watch, especially for me since I plan or at least planned on going in the technology field. Sure it’s no horror movie with Mike Myers trying to slash your neck, but instead it is more of a sudden shock and clarification of what is going on in this world. Whether it is what seems to be the overpopulation of the world or the extreme rapidly advancing field of computers and tech it just hits you and really makes you think. To make it even more chilling is that these numbers and statements are from over 2 years ago, which means that things must’ve changed dramatically such as a huge increase in the number of citizens in China, India and the United States. Although, I must also have to agree with Mike and Kevin on the statement that “the video exaggerates the growth rate of technology”, and feel that advancements don’t happen over allotted periods of time consistently. Like I can’t see some new advancement being made EVERY 72 hours at some point, because there are without a doubt obstacles, and some of these hurdles so to speak are easier to clear than the next so I feel it progresses unpredictably and 20 new advancements could be made in a single day or a whole series of discoveries could be made one week but be nonexistent for days or weeks to come until the next hurdle is overcome. Now as for the computer outsmarting the human brain…well even though I don’t want to think it is achievable since we are the ones who program and design them, I can’t say it is totally impossible. I mean who know? I’m sure no one ever thought they would be able to carry a phone in their pocket that would eventually go on the internet and be touch screen and do all the other things they can back when they invented the first telephone. The same with being able to supply every single average human being with an affordable home computer back when the computer first came out. So I’m sure that this wouldn’t be the first upset in history where things were achieved that no one thought to be possible. As for education, well yes. We are behind, we don’t have enough days, and we are being destroyed by other countries in the academic race. Pretty soon America won’t be thought of as a place for living your dreams and achieving a great education because all the other countries will be ahead. So, I guess we would have to end up becoming the lower class workers who make minimum wage because we couldn’t compete with their academic knowledge. Also, I find it great that writing is so prolific in our country and in the world but it is so difficult so keep up. Well actually it’s basically impossible to keep up and find out what the best new books published are. It is a lot of work to change your entire curriculum as a teacher each year just to cater to the plethora of new books coming out. So I guess the safest way is to stay with what you have already read and already know. In the end I still have that fear of majoring in computer engineering or any other kind of computer/technology subject because it seems so uncertain right now…maybe I’ll just become a teacher. I hear that I should become one a lot, and it does seem like a great job, depending on the types of kids you have of course haha.
Wow..those were some pretty crazy facts. One that sticks out to me is the one about how the information I learn in my first year of college will be outdated by my third year. That would really make me frustrated knowing that I just wasted a year of my time in college. These facts are scary but at the same time very cool and interesting. I can't get see how a computer can get passed a human's knowledge. How does that work? How does that work if humans themselve made the computers? I don't get it. Oh well. But it is funny that this blog is on technology because it figures the essay on my placement test today asked me to write about how technology is a big impact in our lies today. I guess just a weird coincidence. Anyways, another thing that stuck out is that china will be the number one english speaking country in the world eventually! That's insane. So why not move to China? All this technology seems like such a big deal. I feel like that video is just trying to scare me. I realized that we deal with technology and learn about it every day. I feel that we will adapt to the future technology waiting for us so easily that we won't even notice it. I mean, take a look at ipods and cell phones. They are in everyone's pockets compared to when I was in elementary school when ipods were non-existent and cell phones were only owned by adults and not your little brother or sister. I don't know. I think that it is scary if you think about the changes we will undergo but when we are there, everything will seem normal.
Oh my god. Where do I even begin? Bunje when you asked us if technology has gone too far I was on the agree side, now I strongly agree. The fact that I hate computers and they make my head hurt is frustrating because they have become so prevalent in our society. E paper? I like real paper I can feel it, and it doesn’t need a login or have to boot up. I just think it’s all becoming too much. Sometimes simple is better. I’m not saying we should result to being Indians and use wagons and horses for transportation, and birds for communication (although it could be considered going green) I just think that we’re trying to do too much technology in my eyes is like fire. When used in the right way it can be extremely useful, but if your not careful you’ll get burned. Why do we need a computer that has better capabilities then my brain? I like my brain just fine. When will we learn? These new technologies and innovations are killing us. Cell phones, microwaves, etc are all giving us cancer. And for what convenience? Is convenience worth a life? It’s really frightening. At the end of the slide show I had chills as if I were watching a horror movie.
Now as far as the statistics about China and India and them being smarter than us I think it’s sad. We have so much knowledge and as humans we have all the capabilities to make the most of that knowledge. America is a lazy society as I said before we’re all about convenient, whatever’s easier, the quick way, but at the end of the day we’re only harming ourselves. It’s fact that the greatest empires have never lasted more than 400 years, and America is coming close to that. I truly think China will take over. You can’t possibly allow China to become the leading English speaking country. Hello they’re Chinese? I hardly know Spanish and they’ve been attempting to teach me that language for years. We are human just like them. No tests have been proven that show our brains being smaller and less smart then theirs, as a society if we push ourselves and our children to an extent, a healthy extent, we could be just as smart and India and China.
Again I am terrified. If the video is two years old won’t the statistics be even harsher? I don’t have much hope at all I’m just glad that hopefully I am gone before it gets to the point of no return. I’m reconsidering bringing my children into this world.
Im a little iffy on this video. I mean at first when I watched it, all I could think was “Holy shit, that’s crazy!” but then I watched it again, and all I could think was “Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I kind of knew that already”. The facts seemed to be all random to me and some seem to not even relate like how much money was spent on research for Nintendo and how much was used for the U.S. We all know the facts, but we just don’t realize it. We all know China is more advanced then us (hell they make almost everything we use), almost everyone has a myspace, and everyone knows that two years ago, we were constantly refreshing our myspace homepage waiting for new friends, comments, ect. We also know that each and every day, technology is growing and growing and there is no stopping it, which is what this video was trying to get at, and I’ve always completely agreed. I do not agree with the education portion though. I don’t understand how they can teach you things for the future that they do not even know about yet. Whether or not it is true that after three years of college, what you have learned becomes outdated, the information is still used for their job and they will learn more “updated” skills as their job continues. Personally, I never had hope for the world’s future. Practically everything in this world is getting shot to shit and we’re not doing anything about it because we simply don’t think that we can. It is our fault why we are letting technology corrupt our minds and society so of course it is just going to keep feeding and feeding on it. We also do not really sit there and take the time to think about how much more advanced this electronic is; we just accept it. We re so used to advancements that it doesn’t scare me for the future.
All of this information is very interesting to me, and alot shocked me. it was crazy to know that the new york times in a few weeks holds more information in a life time in the 18th century and that there are so many more words then there was with shakesphere. i didnt expect the population and the honors thing, even though its obvious that they are very smart. most of the things we use everyday are made in china. this dosnt change my veiw to much on technology because new things are coming out everyday. all the time people are coming out with new things, that we never even thought were possible a few years ago. i think that the technology is getting a little crazy and out of hand though. its scary to think about how different the future will be with all this new hitech technology. knowing that even just from 2 years ago the technology is already obsolete is scary to me, how much more can they come up with. i dont think that the technology will ever stop improving. even with cell phones they keep getting smarted and smarter most are even like little mini computers now and they keep inproving. i didnt like hearing that it would only take 1000 dollars to exceed the capabilities of the human brain. its scary but at the same time when u live in that time period by the time we get that far advanced in technology it wont be a surprise to us because it will all happen gradually, just like it is now.
Well to tell you the truth, I don’t know what to think. The video could just be a hoax, but it could also be stating some actual statistical information. But who am I to say if it is. I just no that in my world technology has definitely gone overboard, and if its not stopped soon, we can just all give up now. Life with less technology, like a few years ago, made life easier, now things just are getting complicated and out of control. Scientists cloning, manipulating genes so you can get a perfect baby, genetically enhancing our foods, and a bunch of other stuff just isn’t safe. We should be concentrating more on how to save the earth and stuff other than what can come next after a Google phone, or whatever. The video at first kind of scared me a little. Especially the facts about education. What’s the point of even going to the first 2 years of college then. All the information will be useless, and that’s just kind of scary and pointless to me. And how is it possible to prepare someone for a job that doesn’t even exist yet, how is it possible? I don’t know. This world just seems to be getting worse and worse as the days, .months, years go by. I just hope things don’t get so out of control until like after I graduate from college, because I don’t think ill be able to deal with it. All the hard work to then be use less and run by machines? that’s just kind of sad. Because if that’s the case why should I waste thousands and thousands of dollars to end up with out of job. And its scary to know how much more advanced India and China are than the United States. I remember when I was younger thinking the United States was the greatest place to be and now I just want to get away and move to another country. I just pray that maybe the statistics are wrong.
Well to tell you the truth, I don’t know what to think. The video could just be a hoax, but it could also be stating some actual statistical information. But who am I to say if it is. I just no that in my world technology has definitely gone overboard, and if its not stopped soon, we can just all give up now. Life with less technology, like a few years ago, made life easier, now things just are getting complicated and out of control. Scientists cloning, manipulating genes so you can get a perfect baby, genetically enhancing our foods, and a bunch of other stuff just isn’t safe. We should be concentrating more on how to save the earth and stuff other than what can come next after a Google phone, or whatever. The video at first kind of scared me a little. Especially the facts about education. What’s the point of even going to the first 2 years of college then. All the information will be useless, and that’s just kind of scary and pointless to me. And how is it possible to prepare someone for a job that doesn’t even exist yet, how is it possible? I don’t know. This world just seems to be getting worse and worse as the days, .months, years go by. I just hope things don’t get so out of control until like after I graduate from college, because I don’t think ill be able to deal with it. All the hard work to then be use less and run by machines? that’s just kind of sad. Because if that’s the case why should I waste thousands and thousands of dollars to end up with out of job. And its scary to know how much more advanced India and China are than the United States. I remember when I was younger thinking the United States was the greatest place to be and now I just want to get away and move to another country. I just pray that maybe the statistics are wrong.
Post a Comment