Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Dear Mama..."

So, coincidentally, I was thinking about the idea of mothers the other day. It was a conincidence because we were starting Brave New World, which, as I told you last week, scorns the ideas of "motherhood."
This is a concept that seems almost foreign to me based solely on personal experience. I mean, I have a mother--someone who went through "hours of pain just to give me life!"-- but I think there is a fundamental difference between having a mother and having a mom. Do you? Myself, I had a mother. If you think there is a difference, what do you think it is? What is your definition of a mother? A mom? What is your earliest recollection of your mother (or other maternal figure)? Girls, do you want to be a mom? Boys, are there certain qualities in girls that you associate with the idea of moms? Do you want to be like your mom? In what way? If there was one thing you could tell your mother on this blog that she didn't know before, what would it be? (400words/50pts)

43 comments:

Sam S said...

I definitely agree that there is a difference between and mom and a mother. To me a mother is a person who carried me for 9 and 1/2 months, brought me to life, and fed me my life so far. Mothers are just the figure who yells at you and takes everything. They do not help even when they believe they are. I see a mother as a person acting like they were forced to have a child, so she has to just give that child somewhere to eat and sleep. A mom on the other hand is so much more than that. Yeah she carried me and brought me here, but a mom really cares. She does not take everything from you just for one mistake. Moms encourage their children to live their life, not to stay home and be behind jail bars practically. Moms are the ones who take you places instead of never knowing what it's like to go to the beach or something like that. Unfortunately I have a mother, not a mom. I want to be a mom someday. That is a mom, not a mother. I wish that I could get my mother to change to my definition of a mom. That is one thing I have wanted my whole life. It does not cost a dime, but I will never get that one wish. I do not want my child to feel about me the way I feel about my mother. I mean obviously I have to love her, but to me when I lay around and think about that I feel forced to love her. I do not want my kids to feel that way about me because with my mother knowing I feel this way because I broke out and told her I would probably not even feel worthy to them. There is not even one reason why I would want to be anything like my mother. She spends most of her time being two-faced between my "father" and I. If I become anything like her I would expect my kids to hate me! On the serious side, if I ended up like her I would hate myself. Since I was around 12, I always took my aim out of the way she went so I could assure I never grew up to be a little version of her! There is a lot I would tell her, but hmm not appropriate. Well I guess one thing I would tell her is that I can not stand her and every time she talks to me she makes me feels worthless. All she does is try to make me feels stupid and half the time when I am smiling no matter where I am screaming inside because of her.

Anonymous said...

The cycle of reproduction in Brave New World is sick. The concept of motherhood for some mothers in our world is also sick. If a female is going to lay down and take the chance of conceiving a child, that female should be in every way prepared to not only be a mother, but to be a mom. Anyone can be a mother. There is defiantly a huge difference between having a mother and having a mom. Anyone that technically gives birth to a child is considered a mother. A lot of these “mothers” are unfit and in turn, the innocent child has to suffer. What makes someone a “mom” is a mother who displays nurturing qualities that care for their child’s every need and wellbeing. Child services takes children away from “mothers” .. not “moms”. I feel as though the lack of nurturing for a child as they grow up definitely has an impact on their personality and how they may raise their kids. I myself have a mom. She has cared for me since I was little and has given me everything I have need (and wanted) physically, mentally and emotionally. I look to her as someone that I will forever have a never ending bond of love for. I would like to be a mom when I get a little older. I would like to use the qualities that my mom has shown in raising my sister and me when I raise my kids. My mom and I have a very open relationship and I like that a lot. I would like to have that same kind of relationship with my kids. Instead of lying or trying to hide things, I feel as though I can openly talk to my mom about a lot of things that most kids cannot. I feel as though I have a stronger bond with my mom than my dad because our relationship is a lot more open. If I could tell my mom anything in this blog that I have never told her before it would be that I can never truly be mad at her and sometimes I do take her care for granted. No matter how many fights or arguments that we get into, I still love her and will always love her. And nothing she can do that I don’t like will ever take away what she has already done for me and that right there weighs more than my lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Most of society doesn’t think about what they call their parents. It’s common to call you female parental “mom” and some may call her “mother” when they are serious. I’ve heard some people when they get mad or really serious say something like, “Mother, what did you do with my new blue shirt?” Personally, I always call her mom. I do think there is a difference between a mother and a mom. To me a mother is someone who has given you birth. A mom is someone who nurtures and is there for you. Someone who looks out for you and shows you love. I would like to be a mom, not just a mother. I am looking forward to being a mom one day in the future. I would like to have a boy and a girl. I’ve chosen some names but you always have to keep in mind that you’re significant other will want to have some say in what their child’s name will be. My mom may have made some mistakes in her role as mom but overall she is pretty great. She is always there when I need her and always puts myself and other s first. For example my mom could have five dollars in her wallet that she needed for lunch the next day but she would spend it on me even for silly things like candy. Every time I need someone to talk to or a shoulder to lean on she is there. When I broke up with my boyfriend she was there to give me advice and tell me about her previous relationships to try and make me feel better. I would like to be like her and give my children all the things and advice that she has given me through out my life. I want to be as easy going as my mom because sometimes I can be a little uptight and over protective. She is protective but in a good way not a psycho on my case way. If she were to read this blog I would want her to know that even though I may not always act like it or say it aloud, I will always love her. And I would tell her that when I yell or get mad at her its’ usually nothing personal I’m just in a bad mood. When I get mad and say stuff with an attitude toward her, she thinks that she did something wrong and usually feels really guilty. Most defiantly I would want her to know that she has the biggest heart anyone could have I love her for that.

ash tharp said...

mrs bunje your are correctly right that there is a difference between a mother and a mom. a mother is person who might carry you for nine months and then gives you birth but thats not a mom. A mom is someone that has endless love for you. thye support you, help you when your down, be there for you when you need then no matter what. a mom is so important to chldren becasue there i guess your wall of support in multiple ways and no one else can replace them. they're there in most important memories of yuor life such as they were at every event that you do because they were there to cheer you on, your wedding day,when you are having your kids, and there there until it is their time to move on. when that comes you will deffently miss and be pain when she's leave but you will always remeber her love and cherish every memory. i love my mother to death she to me is like a best friend as well as my loving mom.
I deffently want to be a mom i want to give all the love i can to my child. i want to have that connection of a mom and child bond becasue there is nothing more specail then that bond. i want my child to feel the love that i do for my mom. my mom and dad is the world to me and nothing will change that. i lvoe my mom to death and that will never change. your the best and nothing will ever change my mind you don't make mistakes in my mind that will ever make me feel that i wouldn't ever be able to forgive you. i love you ma.

Jepson!!!!!!!!! said...

A mother can give you life without actually really caring about what you do in your life. A mom is always there for their child, and supports them in whatever they do. As far back as I can remember my mom has always been there to try to help. While nowadays I find it alot more annoying, then helpful, I am still very grateful to have my mother care so much. I definately see some girls in Oakcrest, and I pray that they don't have kids until they change. There are just so many kids in this school who really don't get life, and don't have well educated coherent opinions. These types of people shouldn't have children until they mature. I think a mom should be nice, helpful, enthusiastic, hard working, and willing to make sacrifices. Some "mothers" go through a change into "moms" a little later than others. I wish that everyone could have a supportive, caring, and helpful mother, for it would make life easier for a lot of people. Call me a mommas boy, but I love me mommy. haha :P

S.Ryan L said...

Let me break it down for you in a simple way
Mother = formal but it doesn't mean they were a bad mom maybe just unable to show affection
Mom = warm, a strong relationship with there child
Short and sweet
Everyone seems to have a negative point of view on the word mother so far. I think what if the mother wasn't really a bad mother but couldn't communicate with her child. Does that make her a bad parent? What if she was able to support the child and wasn't a psycho just couldn't show her child affection? Its hard to judge parents especially when you don't know whats really going on in there head. Of course when you think of mom or mommy you get a warm feeling (or something). When I talk to my mom/mother I will always call her mom but if I am in a conversation with someone else I will refer to her as my mother. I never would of thought that people would think the word mother is a negative way to describe a mom. The word mother is just like mom I guess it depends on how you analyze it. I am pretty close with my mom and I think thats a good thing in my case. She has always been there and I don't feel forced to love my mother like Sam S its just natural I guess for me. There are some traits that my mom has that I would like in a girl. It's not like I'm trying to find a clone of my mother that would just be creepy. Yea I would like to be some what like my mom because she is really independent. She can do whatever she puts her mind to which is something I envy. She actually keeps the family together which is something I wish can do in the future . Most households work around the fathers and what he says. My house doesn't work that way at all and my mother is the one with the last word usually. Yes I am a mommas boy Deal with it!! Hahah kevin

JessL said...

I think that there is a difference between a mother and a mom. A mother is such a formal word that you would use to talk about a particular person who isn’t close. Just like how you would call someone by their real first name if you didn’t really know them. Mom is like a nickname and you usually give nicknames to people who you know and you are comfortable with. That’s the difference between a mother and a mom. A mother gives life to you and has the title of a mother, but a mom is more personal. A mom is someone who you have a certain relationship with, usually close, that takes care of you or is at least there for you. Mom is more personally to call someone and it indicates a stronger relationship than someone would have with a mother. I do have a mom, not just a mother, and I love her. I wouldn’t say she is like any normal mom. She’s crazy fun and we do all kinds of things together. We talk about all kinds of funny and dirty things. We never share personal stories though, even though we secretly know possibilities of each others’ lives. We joke around and shop together a lot, too. She supports me and helps me do all kinds of things. She is great and I’m glad she is my mom. I really want to be just like my mom. She has good boundaries to keep me safe, but lets me have fun almost anytime I want. I want to be a good and fun mom, but I want to be able to keep my kids safe, too. My mom is like my role model of how I picture my ideal self to be when I become older. I’m really forward to having kids and I look up to my mom when I picture of being a mom one day. There isn’t really anything I would want to tell my mom that she doesn’t know already. I tell her everything I would want her to know and I can tell her whenever I want, because I know she will always love me and care for me. I’m not afraid of my mom finding out the things I do, because she probably already knows, or at least can hint at it. She’s a smart and powerful woman and I want to be the second best mom in the world, right after her.

melissa gu said...

To me there is no difference between a mother and a mom. It’s just a name given to them. I mean a person can be called a mom or a mother but that doesn’t mean that they gave birth to you. People who were adopted sometimes call their adopted parents mom and they sure didn’t give birth to them. It’s all how you look at it. To me the definition of a mom or mother is someone who does whatever it takes to make you have a better life than they had or that you already have. A mom is someone who will kill for their kid or someone who would give up all the money in the world for their child. The earliest memory of my mom is when I was younger and I drew a picture of our family (it looked like a picture little kids draw when their 4 years old with a whole bunch of wiggly lines) when I showed her the picture she was so proud of me and the picture that she hung it up on her wall right next to her bed. She made me so proud of myself that I went and drew more pictures and she still has them. One day I do want to be a mom and not just any old mom a super cool mom. I want to be somewhat like my mom in that I always have a way to make my kids feel okay with themselves and with their surroundings. I don’t want to be someone who makes their kids feels awkward about their life. I also want to be like my mom because she always has a way to make me better myself. The thing that I would tell my mom that she doesn’t know already would that I’m so glad that she is my mom because she works so hard for me and my sister and she never gives up on me.

BlakeR said...

Mother and mom are not completely different in my eyes but they have their differences. I believe that a mother is someone who raises you from when you were young to whenever you grow up. They teach you everything that life brings at you and is always there when you need her help when your in trouble. She is the caring type that is there. A mom i think is more of a lady who basically had you and is rarely there for you. She will be around for the big things like graduation and birthdays, but like some small things like life problems. Or if your parents are divoriced and she barely wants to see you and just puts up with you just because she has to. Even though those are my definition of the two, i still call my mom mom, but i don't think of her as i explained it, its just an easy way to call her name. I think that moms have to be caring for their kid and is kinda over protective when they are little kids around the age of five when they are playing around outside. that is like the biggest quality that sticks out to me when i think of the perfect mom. I would love to be like my mom because i can only image how hard it is to live with only five guys and the closest thing to a girl is our dog, or girlfriends whenever they are over. But my mom is always cleaning the house since we mess it up, and it the house would be a mess if it wasnt for her cleaning it. And the way she works shows her dedacation for our family and how she does the best she can just so we can have everything we want. But i would also love to be like my dad as well he is amazing. If there could be one thing i could tell me mom is that i am proud of her and love her. I do not say that much at all to my mom mostly only when i want something but that was when i was younger, but now that i see the stuff she puts up with i take it for granted what she does for us. She even said to me that i am the only one that acts like i dont love her when its true i do act that way, but its not true that i dont love her.

Niah Grimes said...

Of course there’s a difference between a mother and a mom. And here’s why, a mother is biological she is only linked to you through DNA. Everyone has a mother but not everyone has a mom. A mom is the person who is there for you who made you who you are. A mom is the one who cleans the scrapes on your knees and rubs your back so you can sleep. A mom is the one who makes you sundaes when a boy breaks your heart or helps you when you become a “woman”. It’s crazy how three letters can mean the world. Not every mom is the same each mom has a unique way of nurturing and raising a child. A mom can be a foster mom, and aunt, or any womanly figure in your life that is there to support you and help build your foundation.
My mom is pretty good at what she does. My earliest recollection of her is probably her video taping me with my brother and pet dog. I must have been four at the time. She always called me shay and said how much she loved me but not only would she tell me she showed me as well. My mom would teach me cheers and sing and dance she always made it so I was smiling and running my mouth a lot like I do now. But she’s done more than that for me. Every child deserves a mother. Without my mother I wouldn’t have the morals I have, and I wouldn’t be as strong as I am now. Bunje and I discussed how mothers play a major role in the woman you’ll become. Sometimes that role is not positive. I believe that girls with insecurity issues and self respect issues have them a lot of the time because of the role model mother they may have. Not in every case of course but some.
I don’t want to get pregnant and fat with swollen feet and stretch marks, but I can’t wait to be a mom. I personally come from a line of good mom’s. I don’t want to have a lot of kids because I don’t think I would do as great a job with three or four kids, maybe two. I want that feeling my mom gets when we receive awards or do are chores without asking. I want to be able to bring another life into this world and make it successful. I want to be able to instill the wonderful teachings that were taught to me into another. I feel like without that my life wouldn’t be complete, if only I could fast forward through the nine months of being pregnant and that whole birth giving thing. This year I decided that one of my two children will be adopted. I want to save another life, specifically a girl in another country where woman don’t have many rights. That’s why I couldn’t be with a person who didn’t respect my wishes of adopting.
As far as my mom goes, she is a very strong woman who respects her self and carries her self with esteem. I want to be just like her in that way. She also has common sense which is a good trait to have although I have yet to obtain it; it’s a trait I admire in her. I also admire her sense of humor, good cooking, and great parenting skills. All of which I would like to have one day.
One thing my mom may not know I do appreciate her no matter how much I bitch and fuss she’s wonderful no matter how much she can get under my skin. Sometimes I even take her for granted. I’ve realized that a lot of girls don’t have the privilege of a mom, and I need to always remember that.

Vincent Q said...

The difference between a Mom and Mother r simple, a mother gives you birth but doesn’t take good care of you and doesn’t watch out for you, a Mom is someone who loves you and takes care of you and would do anything for you. My definition of a mother is someone who just gives birth to you and then from then on doesn’t really care about you. She lets you do whatever and doesn’t really care much about you. A mom is someone that cares form you since day 1. She’s always been there for you and loves you with all of her heart. The certain qualities in girls that I associate with moms are caring about people. Moms have to care about their kids and if I see a girl really cares about me ands others then I know shell be a good mom. Also taking care of people is a good quality. If I see a girl that knows how to take care of babies and knows who to take care of me when I’m sick then I know for a fact shell be a good mother. My mom is one of the nicest person I know so I would like to be like my mom. My mom is just a well-rounded good person she is caring, understanding, and very helpful. The one thing I would tell my mom is that I love her more then anything, she is always there for me and I just want to thank her. She is such a great person and I just hope I end up like her one day.

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that there is a difference between what a mother is and a mom. To me a mother is someone who carried you around for nine months and brought you to life. They go on with life giving you a place to eat and sleep. Mother’s are the kind of people who don’t care what their kids are doing. They basically let them do what they want and they don’t guide them through life to tell them what’s wrong and what’s right. They might not want to get involved in their personal lives and may not give them advice like a true mom should. Mother’s also might be the type of people who didn’t want a child to begin with, but they accidently got pregnant and just kept the child. They might just be there because they might feel like their obligated to stay. A mom is someone who raises their kids so they can grow up to be a bigger and better person. Mom’s are there for you to give you love, support, and advice in what ever you may need while you are growing up. She is someone who will give you a positive outlook on life and who will never give up on you. She will be there through thick and thin and there to pick you up when you fall hard. A mom is there to share the wonderful memories together and to have you there by here her side when you cry or when you laugh. She’s the one who is standing right next to you on your wedding day or on the day in which they are given birth to their own child. A mom and daughter/son have a special bond with each other that no one can break. They understand each other completely and are there to help you with everything. When I grow up, I definitely want kids. There’s something that’s always been inside me that thinks like a mom. I want to them to feel love and comfort from me and I would want them to come to me if they ever got stuck on a problem. I will share and treasure every memory spent with them because that’s something that no will ever take away from you. There’s nothing that a mom doesn’t know that I would want her to know. I talk to her every day and am thankful for everything she did for me. I am glad to be her daughter and I would never in a million years trade her for anyone else.

Javahn B said...

There is a huge difference between a mother and a mom. In many eyes, it may seem like the words "mother" and "mom", have similarities, because both words indicates that a female has given birth. When actually, the word "mother" is exactly that. A mother is just a woman that obviously made a mistake by giving birth to a child. I say "mistake" because of the fact that she cant handle the responsibilities that was required to take care of her baby. The job of a mother could be as simple as claiming that you have a bike. Im not saying that her job would be treating you like an object, im just saying that...ok, maybe I am saying that she would treat you like an ogject. She would think that she could say whatever she want to you, and think that it doesnt effect you when it hurts more than a stab to the heart. She'll pay attention to you only when she has time. It's basically like she think about her priorities first then she thinks about you. A mother just doesnt deserve to get called a mother. This is where the extreme difference between a mother and a mom comes in. A mom is much similar to a super hero. A super hero saves the world, well the moms child is the world to them. The job of both, is to save thier world, and nothing would stop them from making sure that thier worlds are safe.
Now dont take what i said about mothers personal, i mean, mothers do love thier kids too, they just are not ready for the challenge... I know i was kind of harsh.
My earliest recollection of my mom is when my mom came back to Jersey for christmas. I loved and miss every moment we had together. Even when we wasnt together i was just happy with the fact that she was down here again. In every girl I look for independency and self confidence, just as moms have. With independence, a girl doesnt depend on a guy or anyone else to help them live thier life. They don't need anyone but themselves. With the possession of confidence they will believe that they can do anything possible, just like moms, they have to belive they could do anything,because if they could do anything they could take care of thier babies life and give them the best education possible.
If i could tell my mom something on this blog right now,i think i'll tell her that i skiped school before, and then i told her that i went and every thing was ok.

shantab said...

The definition of a mother is fundamentally someone who has given birth to a child. This "mother" didnt have to give me baths, take me to the park, feed me, or buy me things. Just simply, gave birth to me. Now a mom on the other hand, i believe, is someone who has actually taken care of me, and doesnt necessarily have to be my real "mother". Just someone who nourished you for long nine hectic months, and what people fail to realize is that its so much more then just taking care of someone for nine months. You must take care of the child after there born also. So yes, I believe there is a big diffrence between the two.

Since mom is a such a general word. I think you could only call someone mom when its a personal relationship and your really close with them. A mom is the one you can go to when your down, and you tell absolutly everything to. A mom is also the one who cleans you up after making a mud pie=]. Think about it, in movies when teenagers are mad at there parents, they usually refer to them as "mother". Such a formal word I must say.

Now me personally, I would definitly say I had a mother much more then a mom. My "mother" was locked up most of my childhood, did drugs, and had more then five diffrent family members taking care of me. When i grow up and have kids on my own, i'm hoping that i do the complete opposite of what my "mother" did. I plan on nurturing and actually taking care of my kids unlike her.

If i could tell my mother one thing on this blog, it would definitly be that she helped me in the long run, because she showed me how not to be. She mad me never want to drink and smoke, never want to hit my kids, and to actually be a mom and take care of my responsibilities. I mean, i love her to death, but she's the reason i had the worst childhood ever.

Mel said...

Yes, i agree that there is a difference from being a mother and a actual mom. Anyone can be a mother but its differnt to be a mom. a mom is someone that is there for their child and cares for them. Put the childs needs before there own and does everything they can to teach them right from wrong. My definition of a mother is any wonmen that has a kid but isnt responsible and dosn't meet the childs needs like she should. A mom is someone that will do anything for their child and has unconditional love for them. The earliest recollection of my mom is that she was always trying to do the right thing for me even though most of the things she decided wasn't always right, or at least not right in my eyes. I would like to be a mom someday to mean so much to someone. I know that i would do anything for my mom and love her with all my heart even though we disagree alot and dosn't accept what i say if she dosn't agree. i dont like that because we think alot differently about most situations, which leads to fights that arent needed.I want to have someone that looks up to me as well. I do not want to be like my mom, i only want to take the good qualities from her like how nice and caring she is to everyone, which im sure she already gave that to me. i do not want to take her bad qualities like worring all the time about things that didnt even happen yet and getting overly excited about the little things in life. i want to take my moms good qualites that she gave to me and grow from that to be a better person or mom. My mom tries to be the best mom she can be and i respect her for that, noone is perfect and with what she went through i think she did a pretty good job on raising me.

Bill R said...

There is definitely a difference between a mother and a mom. Mothers are the biological givers of life. They are the one’s that produced you, where as a mom is the one who cares for you and raises you. Mothers may not care for their children even though they gave birth to him/her. Moms might not be the one who gave birth yet they are the ones that look after you. Moms are a lot more important in life than mother even though it’s the mother that created life. They teach you morals, language, and new ideas. They help mold your personality as well as protect you.
I can’t name my earliest recollection of my mother but I do remember that she has always been a fun person and always ready to party. She always was and always will be a good mom. She looked after me and supported me through good and bad times. She’s proud of me even if she’s not that fond of what I do.
I think a lot of my female peers have a lot of maternal instincts. Some of them are just born mothers. They know how to care for a child and just care for people in general, they have enough patience to raise a kid, and they are strong enough to know what’s right for others.
In some ways I would want to be like my mom, in other ways I’d rather take my dads traits. My mom has a lot of common sense and is observant of her surroundings. She knows how to handle all types of situation and those are traits that I would love to inherit from her. I would rather not be as uptight as her even though I think I’m wearing her down so she’s a little more laid back. She takes things a little more seriously than my dad and I, which I think stresses her out a little more than necessary.
There’s not much that I would want to tell my mom that she doesn’t already know. I would probably tell her that I appreciate her advice and her help a lot more than I show and that I do love her to death even though I may flip out about some of the things she does. But I’m pretty sure she already knows that so there’s not much else to say.

Jared B. said...

“Orbit Fresh Gum, for a good clean feeling... no matter what.”

Before starting my simmered rant on my experiences on “Motherhood” I would like to tell a story. It was just this weekend that I came down with a very random, and very powerful flu. I went from wandering the endless corridors of the mall to losing my ability to keep my eyes open without obtaining a headache within a twelve hour period! My temperature skyrocketed into the 100’s, only missing 103 by one or two points of a degree. My hacking coughs echoed throughout the entire home, making my poor puppy literally whimper and flee into alternate rooms for cover. Still the remains of that fever linger in my throat and nostrils, but I was more disgusted by the behavior of my ‘esteemed’ care giver.
So in near-paralysis, my parent had come to address me multiple to times, at first in anger until I finally summoned up a loud enough voice to explain that I honestly wasn’t feeling well. However, this did not stop her eternal need to cause trouble. Numerous times she had attempted to give me chores that did nothing but benefit her, the worst being to find her wallet for her for any sort of sum. I was also lectured for my lack of aid after denying every request and trying my best to return to sleep. Even worse than this, she couldn’t provide any sort of help in the slightest! I don’t believe I had even a bite to eat the first day I was struck with this illness! I didn’t feel so bad for that at the time due to my slight issues in the stomach anyway. The neglect which really hit home was for my single request during those times. She offered medicine and I anxiously awaited any sort of diversion for the pain I was feeling all over my body; surely this would bring about some relief, right? Not quite. What did she bring me? Gum. Gum! She gave me gum to chew while I lay out on the couch, coughing and sneezing my brains out in a hopeless battle against germs! My breath probably smelled fantastic, but what intension could there possibly be to provide gum now?

Putting further detail aside, let’s get right to the point. This is not what I consider a mom; this is merely the woman who gave birth to me. There is a BIG difference between the two; a mother simply can be referred to as the one responsible for your birth. I place the term mom only on those who have earned such a title. I consider it an endearment of honor; to call someone your mom is to give them your complete trust. It is proof of their caring nature and continuous aid in your develop. Your classic T.V. Mom gives the true impression nearly all children expect of their mom’s in my opinion, they always come off as these sincere, knowledgeable, and powerful women ready to defend and instruct their offspring at all costs. Need I say anymore than that to reveal my thoughts? Such a delicate subject deserves a less biased opinion than mine.

Nancy M said...

In my opinion there is a major differnce between a mother and a mom. The major difference between the 2 is that one loves you because they have to and the other loves you because they want to. A mother is a woman who has carried her child for 9 months and gave birth to it. A mother is a woman who is forced to love her child because that's what mothers are supposed to do. Now a mom is a woman who would do anything for her child and would put their children before themsleves in a heart beat. Unfortunatley I have a mother. I know for a fact my mother only loves me because she has to. In the last blog we did I wrote about how my mother said she loved my stepdad more than my sister and me. Whenever I need her she was never there for me. When there came a time where she had to choose to either put herself first or her children, she always chose her own happiness and well-being over mine and my sister's. My mother was always too wrapped up in her own life with my stepdad to even notice that my sister and I were terribly unhappy. To me she never has been a mom. I never felt or even feel now that she truly and genuinely loves me. She'll ask me how my day was and I as I begin to tell her, she walks away into her room to talk to my stepdad and closes the door. She only asks how my day was because that's what a mom is supposed to say which brings me back to how a "mother" loves her children because she is supposed to. I really can't think of my earliest rcollection of my mom was.because I try not to think about my childhood. My sister always asks me if I remember this or that but I never do because its almost as if I've erased it from my memory. But if I had to think of one it would probably be the time when my sister got sick in the middle of the night. I was probably 4 and my sister was 6. Anyway, my sister was crying because she felt like she was. Going to throw up and she started calling for my mom. My mom didn't hear her so I started calling mom out loud with my sister. I then remember my stepdad yelling for us to shut up and go back to sleep. Like 5 mins later my sister threw up all over her bed. I went to get my mom and when she came into the room she yelled at my sister and me for not calling her to come into the room. She then hit my sister for throwing up. Yeah so let's not talk about that anymore. So no I don't want to be a mother for the exact reason of the kind of mother my mom is. I'm afraid ill be like her. Usually when a person tries so hard to not be something, they end up being exactly what they were trying not to do. I don't want to have kids so they can dislike me the way I dislike my mother. The whole subject about moms is sensitive for me and I don't like to talk about it. I have ntohing to say to my mom that I haven't already said.

kelso said...

Man Bunje,all these mother questions, you've been making this tough for me.
Anyway, when I hear the word mother or mom I think of only one person, which is my biological mother, only for the simple fact she left me and my stubborn ass won't let anyone take that place. I guess the word is very sacred to me. I'll be on someone's ass if they had anthing to say about my mother, I take no crap when it come to this subject.
However, I do find a difference between a mom and a mother. When I hear the word mother I view my own or someone's biological mother or the person that has been there for them for most of their life. My mother was only in my life for 8 years, but she was always there for me when she was around and always took care of me.
After my mother left, of course I had a couple of motherly figures, which I would consider moms. The difference between the two to me are that a mom guides you and says some encouraging things to you, and trys and helps to give you what you need. A mom is like a general form of a mother to me. Moms don't have every engrained detailing as a mother would. A mom doesn't really know you inside out as well as a mother would. For example, when I was little, and my mother was still around, my step mother would help me and teach me how to do my laundry, but if I got hurt, I would run to my mother to tender my wounds and take care of me. Mother's always have the right things to say to make their child feel better and make them happy.
It's sad to say,as the years pass, the image of my mother is deteriorating from my memory and I have to use pictures to remember her face. Soon, she will probably end up being a pigment of my imagination, sadly.
Someday I would love to be a mother, of twins too, a boy and a girl. At times I think I will be an awsome mother but at times I think I won't. To make a confession, I really don't like little kids, they get on my nerves, and I don't want to be anyhting like my mother and hurt them like she did me. I tell myself everyday I won't be like her though, and I feel all the better.

Mia said...

There is a huge difference between having a mother and having a mom. Having a mother is someone who just carried you for 9 months and had you just to have you and so she wouldn’t have to endure any pain. But having a mom doesn’t necessarily have to mean a female who gave birth to you. A mom is someone anyone can run to into of need. What I mean exactly is that a mom doesn’t have to be a female who gave birth to you because that’s a mother. Everyone had a mother but not many have a mom. A mom is a female who raised you to be the person you are today. She nurtured you, gave you the necessary tools to survive in your young years of life. She’s someone that has been by your side, understood how you felt and kept you alive when you were down. But I do believe that you can be a mother than transform into a mom, but it just takes time. But do I want to be a mother?.. No, I would love to be a mom though, and treat a child like it was my own, but right now I don’t think could endure 9months of pain and labor or even in the next few years. My life is just getting started you know?. But I think maybe a few years/a lot from now my perspective might change but I don’t know. I cant really say I’ve always wanted kids, it was thought but never actually an idea I would put into action. It takes a lot of work to be both a mother and a mom. Like I took up being a camp counselor with kids that were 3 -5, and that was enough. I can endure a few hours but I don’t think more than a day. But if I do later on in life become a mom or mother I do think I will be a lot like my mother. I’m basically another duplicate of her. Everything she has done to raise me came from her experiences, we both kind of went through the same things so our perspectives are most likely the same. So I don’t think it would be a bad thing for me to turn out like my mom. For example my mom is patient, responsible and honest, and all those traits I acquired from her. I don’t know what I would tell my mom, she knows everything that she needs to know. She knows I love her and would kill or die for her nom matter what and that no one will ever replace her.

Kirsten A said...

Of course there is a difference between a mother and a mom. I feel that a mother is more so a person who merely gave you life and is linked to you through the DNA that you share but that is all. Where as your mom is that one person who is always there for you to care for you when it comes to your daily needs and to pick up the pieces when they all come crashing down at some point or another. I don’t think I can really remember one specific thing about my mom from when I was a little kid but if I had to pick one thing I thing I some what can remember it would have to be when I was about two or so when my younger sister was born and always asking when my sister was coming out and my mom telling me she was coming and was really sick so I didn’t really even get excited about it. Shortly after my sister became sick because of me so my mom was not too happy with me at all. I would love to be a mother one day I have been told since I was a little girl that I would be the perfect mother. I’ve always been good with little kids and have been babysitting for as long as I can remember. In pre school my teacher would always say to my mom make sure she brings her million kids around here when she gets older because everyone knew I would have kids even from a young age. My sister and I from what I can remember could play with our baby dolls and play mommy for hours on end. In some ways I would want to be my mom I wish to instill the same set of values that my mom guided me with for my children but I may do some things a little different. She may have been a little over baring at times but I can now see that it was for the better and think I am going to do the same for my children in hopes they could grow up to be good people. I don’t really know what I would say to my mom that she doesn’t know I like to think that we have a pretty open relationship she knows basically everything about me so I don’t know what I would say to her that she does not already know.

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is a difference between a mom and a mother except that they are two different words. My defination of a mother/mom is a care giver, a person who brought me into this world and raised me and took care of me. Someone who puts their children first and stands behind the choises they make in life no matter how much they don't like it and keeps them away from bad things like drugs and crime. There are certain qualites in girls I associate with the idea of moms but, I can't find a good way of typeing it that will be understood. I don't want to be like my mom because I wouldn't be able to with all the stuff I do and want to do that drives my mom insane. The one thing would tell my mom that she doesn't know is how happy I am that she is behind me in my decision to be a firefighter even though she sees and hears on the news about all the firefighters that are injured and killed in the line of duty. I know that it must be hard for her due to the fact that my brother is in the air force and now her baby is a firefighter. I know that it is hard for her because she knows that I am thinking of joining the military and being a crash firefighter (air craft firefighter) and that I want to be a forest firefighter. So to some it all up I would just want her to know how greatful I am for her support.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

For me there is definitely a difference between a mother and a mom. Mom is the diminutive of the word mother, linguistically a diminutive form is used to convey trust, intimacy, and caring. For me the difference between a mother and a mom is all in the attitude, not hers but yours. Whether someone is a mother, a biological term, or a mom, a caring revered figure, depends solely on the child's perception. Of course, that perception is heavily influenced by the way the mom/mother behaves, but in my mind the distinction is made solely in how the child perceives them. For example a child could hypothetically have a mother who barely acknowledges their existence, but as long as that child views her with affection and love then she is a Mom. Now that I've sorted out the often murky world of my own definition I'd like to talk about my own mother. She will always be a mom to me, despite my often questionable work ethic, and my resulting grades she has always been willing and able to support and love me unconditionally. She has always been willing to support me in whatever endeavors I embark on, even if it means I'll be away for three weeks and probably won't be able to call. I've always been kind of surprised when people complain about their mothers, and the fights and bitterness. There are a lot of things I would like my mom to know but probably will never tell her. I would like to let her know that I'm sorry for causing her so much unneeded stress and worry, and for being such an incorrigible slacker, and thank her for being supportive of my desire to travel abroad even though she clearly misses me.

Anonymous said...

I definately believe that there is a difference between being a mother and being a mom. A mother is someone that gives birth to you. They sometimes don't even care about what you are doing and where you are going. Most women often aren't mentally fit to have kids with the end result of them just being "mothers." It takes something really special to be called a mom. A mom is someone who is always there for you. They are nurturing, loving, and try to give you the things that they never had. Often mom's spoil their kids, gives them compliments, and has daily conversations with their kids. I'm not sure I really understand when you say my earliest recollection. If I would have to guess, it would to mean the most cherished memory kind of. I remember one time when I was in pre-school and I came home crying to my mom because this one kid didn't like me. She told me that everything was going to be okay, and in the end it was. Me and the girl had become the best of friends. As far as being a mom, I would love to be one, but not at this moment in my life. I would want to be a lot more mature and older in life, and also married. My mom has some qualities that I like about her and that I wish that I can have when I have kids. I would want her stern let loving manner, because if I were to be a mom right now, I would totally be a push-over and spoil the kid rotten. There are some characteristics that I have that I would also use. Some would be my funny jokes, kind and encouraging words, and my love for people. It took a while for me to figure out what I would tell my mom. I don't really think that there is anything since she knows all.

monet tb said...

i think the difference between a mother and a mom is simple. a mother is a person who just gives you life and provids for you here and there and they pretty much dont realy care about you but pretty much them selves. And a mom is the total opposite they provid for you and they are there for your ups and downs and is with you thick and thin. they show and teaches you love. There the person that you can count on when ever. Yes i cant wait to b a mom. i cant wait to get out of college so i can provide for my babies. i want a lot of kids back to back. At the most two years apart from each other. i am so looking forward to it i feel like once i am financually ready ima start ima be popping them out one by one. i think the most i want to have is four but i been thinking about eight. but the way the economy is going it doesnt look like i want eight. but yeah i cant wait to be a mom. the two qualities that i want that my mom has is patience and being open minded. because i feel as thought that i have everything else and i cant go wrong. wouldnt be able to tell her any thing because she knows everything that i would want to tell her my mom is my best friend no matter the situation i always come and tell her everthing thats on my mind. everyday when i come home from school i tell her about my day in details. it mostly be stuff in your class because we be talking about a lot of juicy topics in there. i even tell her a majority of me and my boyfriend coversations just like if she was one of my bestfriends ore something. i feel like my mom is perfect even with the flaws they she has. which is a few because i cant even think of any

kyle w said...

Mothers and moms start out the same by giving birth to a child, but that is where a mother's responsibilities ends. Once a mother has a child, she usually leaves or she does not take proper care of her child. After a mom gives birth to a child, she never stops taking care of the child. She feeds the child, she puts a roof over its head, she gives it the best life she can, and most importantly she loves the child. My defintion for mother is giver of life. My defintion for mom is a care giver. I'm sure this isn't my earliest recollection of my mother, but i'll tell you it anyway. Every year there is a halloween parade that goes through Mays Landing. There are hundreds of floats and they throw out candy, and I was five years old and I was on one of these floats. I needed to wear a costume and I did not have one. I remember my mom made this real elaborate costume with stuff around the house. She made me into a hershey's bar. I don't know why I remember this memory. When I think of motherly qualities I think of being caring and forgiving. The one quality that I would like to get from my mother is her patience. No matter how many things I do or don't do for her, she rarely looses her cool and that is something I wish I had. There is really nothing I can think of to say to my mother because we are pretty close and we talk a lot.

Danielle U said...

Just as everyone basically said, I would have to say yes, I think that there is a fundamental difference between a mother and a mom. I see a mother just as someone who biologically gave birth to you, but doesn't have to have any sort of bond or connection with you throughout your life. Yes, they were the ones who started your life and took care of you for 9 months, but that doesn't make you a mom. Just someone who is making sure you’re healthy, but not building any sort of relationship with you. I mean, I basically think of a mother as someone who gave you up after you were born to another family. A mom is someone who is willing to take care of you as your growing up, and throughout your whole life. Most want what’s best for you, and even though all moms may not be the best of parents, they are your mom. They are willing to take responsibility for you, and most of the time, want nothing but the best for you and to always be there. My earliest recollection of my mother was probably when I was 2 or 3, I somehow remember going to Florida with my mom, nanny, and three older brothers. The part I remember is going to seaworld and just spending a lot of family time together. My dad never came on vacations with us when we were young, so it was always my mom and nanny there. I basically see them as two moms. They both have the qualities I said before about a mother. They want nothing but to be there for me, and to have what’s best for me throughout my life. I have a strong bond with both, and growing up I always did family activities with both of them. I would have to say that yes, I would like to be a mom. But not for a VERY long time of course. I'm around kids a lot now, but I just don't have the patience or desire to spend all day everyday with them, or just being responsible for them. My mom is a great mom, and when the day comes that I become a mom, I would of course like to be like my mom. Everyone tells me how nice, funny, and caring my she is, so I know I’m not the only one who realizes what a good person she is. I want my kids to always think of me as caring, wants to always see them happy, and just know I would put them first for everything. One thing I would like to tell my mom that she didn't know before is that I really do appreciate her. I don't always show it, but I really do thank her for always being there for me. I just want her to know that I know she revolves everything she does around me, and I fully admire her for how hard she works, and that even though she can't always give me everything I want, that I know she would if she was able to. And that although I have nothing against my dad, I am just so happy I have one parent that I’m so close with and can go to anything with. And of course, I love her and couldn't imagine my life without her.

Anonymous said...

I think there is a difference between mother and mom. I myself had a mom. Some one who took care of me in my time of need without needing to be asked to. She helped me when I am at my low. She takes care of me on a daily basis. A mother is just some one who gives you life. She doesn’t do the little things that a mother would do. She just gives you life and feeds you. She doesn’t comfort you when you need it. My best moment with my mom is when she threw me a surprise birthday party at school. I remember my pokemon cake and ice cream. I remember being so happy. I also remember when my mom taught me to ride a bike. She did the best she could and helped me. She cleaned my scars and made me feel good about myself when I fell off my bike. We skipped the whole training wheels stage. It took two weeks of this before I learned how to ride a bike. Yes there are certain qualities that I associate to a mother. A few to name are kindness, caring she helpful and nice, and also understanding of situations. What I mean by understanding is that she hears all sides of the story before she jumps to any conclusions. I want my future wife to be kind of like my mom. The reason I say kind of is because it would be weird at family reunions, both of them acting the same way. I would want her to understand, caring and helpful. The one thing that I would tell my mom is that I love her. Also that I wouldn’t have made it this far in life without her. She keeps me level headed and keeps me from making dumb decisions.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am a person who feels that that parents have no choice but to raise their choice. It the consequences for creating us. The main reason why I think so is because my dad. He's an "A-hole." Has a great time making kids, but doesn't want to spend time with them at all, or throw down a couple dollars to at least show he cares, but no. I do believe that there is a difference between a "mother" and a "mom." A "mother" is just the woman that berth you and left you to dry. A "mom" is the female figure that raised from the time you were young, and never thought about leaving you. A mother basically never raised you, she just berth you. Besides that, she is just another lady to you, whether she tries to get back in your life or not. I have a friend named Kristal. She is 20 and she told me and my sis that when she is with her mother she treats her like everyone else, simply because she never raised her. She said even when they would argue she would argue back and even curse. She said the reason is because she is not a "mom" to her. She barely has the same respect as an aunt. A "mom" is someone is basically the person who raised you. Whether they are blood related or not. For example, a step-mom, an adopted mother, or even a family friend. They raised you from the time you were young, which is basically the credentials you need to be a qualified mother (lol).
As a guy I do not really look for "mom-like" qualities in a female. The reason is because I am not looking for a girl to be my baby's mom at this time. If I were to look for the qualities it would basically be a female who you can rely on. Someone who is not the type to abandon people. Also, the type that does not fold under pressure. I would also look for someone I can trust. Lastly, they have to be attractive, I am going to be with this person for the rest of my life. All of these qualities describe a mom who won't leave her children, and someone you can trust behind your back. Do not go looking in the streets for a wife/potential mom. Everyone knows, "You can't turn a hoe into a housewife."
There is nothing I would want to tell my mom in this blog, only because I barely "vent" my emotions. But, because I do not want to be the only one who doesn't, I would simply just say "I love you mom."

Anonymous said...

what makes a mom more special than a mother? i'd have to say that it would be the nurturing. mothers tend to make it a dragging obligation as a mom tends to make it an enjoyable occupation. a mother gives birth and feeds,clothed, and shelters you as a mom does all those things as well as care about, listens to, and teaches you... like a one in a million best friend but a couple levels higher. i definitely have a mother -- she does all the motherly things possible that i am more than grateful to be given but complains about it... she wants more than just a thank you, asks for respect even though she does nothing to deserve it besides raise and give birth as well as millions of other women also do for children. she doesn't listen and when she does, she judges you before you even have a chance to finish speaking. she makes you feel like a burden, a disgrace because you have not become anything yet at the age of eighteen. but the main reason that separates the mother from being a mom is attempting to live her dream through her children. it's understandable, it's almost empathetic but not quite. she does not accept me as an own individual nor does she accept me as an american. she does not accept me as an adult nor does she accept me as her own child. honestly speaking, a mom accepts -- a mother tolerates. but now the question seems to be is, "how long?" i do want to be a mom one day... i really hope that my child will love me and i hope to give it enough respect and understand it... definitely try and not confuse it. the way my aunt raised me and took me in and how i perceived my aunt for the past eighteen years is exactly how i would like my children to percieve me -- the motherly figure, my ideal motherly figure. in my opinion, she did the best job she could have done. she tried. she understood and listened well. she taught me many things, she taught me to accept and open arms wide. i think i am somewhat like my mom right now and it kind of makes me sad because that's really not how i want to be. i compare myself just as she compares me. i contemplate about life as much as she does, i turn my other cheek as does my mother (buddhist tradition i suppose?) but one thing i'm glad that i have nothing of is when she does something wrong, she laughs it off but when someone else does something wrong, she'll remind them everyday how wrong they are until they say something arrogant back, which at this point in time i dont even consider arrogant anymore. she laughs off her wrongs, i admit to them. she reminds you of your wrongs, i just shrug... it hurts to not know why she does that sometimes; i really hope it's unintentional but it really sucks a lot of butt. i am not aiming for replacement regardless of all the truth i've said, but i just wish she could just open her eyes and learn to accept the things she has... throw the bad things away yet she does it backwards and it's a shame. she's a bright and funny woman. she deserved better than my father. i do wish all the best things in life for her even though she can be very hurtful to me, but is it really that hard to just say "i'm sorry" once in awhile?

Pete D. said...

Hmm, well the first thing that came to mindwhen I read this was that it can kind of be related to this saying I’ve heard and read many times before. It was something along the lines of a house is merely just a building on a foundation that people can live in, but a home is where the heart is. Someone who could better define this is a lady Marguerite Duras who said this quote which I found on google while trying to refresh my memory. “Home is a place where a person lives, spends much of her time, or feels generally comfortable with. While a house (or other residential dwelling) is often referred to as a home, and is home to many people, the concept of "home" is broader than a physical dwelling. Home is often a place of refuge and safety, where worldly cares fade, with things and people you love becoming the focus. Home is central to one's life, primarily emotional, and partially physical. It is an environment offering affection and security.”
Not I can’t say that everyone would agree with this, however most people probably would. You have to admit, even if you hate going home because it may be boring or annoying, it is a place where you truly feel safe and comfortable… and that is what separates the two. Now I suppose with this I could go on to say that mothers and moms could be considered in the same way. Mother would obviously be the more literal, proper term used but along with this properness it seems as though there is something missing from it. It doesn’t seem to live up to the emotional meaning of mom because it is simply a word that describes the person who either gave you life or nurtured you as you progressed through life. You can have a mother but not necessarily love her the same way you would love a mom.
A mom is, well I guess someone you can connect with more on a personal level and become more attached to. A mom is a mother, in most cases, but a mother is not always a mom because there needs to be that connection and same feeling of affection and love that only a “mom” can fulfill. A mother may be able to scorn you and not appreciate the things you do and disown you and make you feel horrible, because she is your mother due to biological reasons. Regardless mother would remain an empty word as opposed to a mom which has more meaning behind it. To me a suitable definition of a mom is well my mom. Of course she may be annoying at times (most of the time), but that merely means that she cares about me whether I like it or not. I can give her a hard time 24/7 and say how much I hate it when she nags me about doing my work and making good decisions but in the end she will be there for me. I guess that is the difference between forced maternity and motherhood (which is equivalent to mom, but only when hood is the ending).
I’m sure somewhere in me and at some time in my life I will want to be like my mom. The amount of love she is able to show and the amount of abuse she puts up with from me Is a great attribute to have. So yes, I would like to be like her, just not now since I enjoy worrying about myself as much as I worry about others, as opposed to how she puts me before herself in every situation. I would tell my mom that I need more freedom! She can’t keep me under her wing forever, for I am almost 18! I am barely allowed to sleep out and have to beg to be able to do so. So letting go would be a topic of discussion, and also the fact that as mean as I may be for some of the uneducated things she says I don’t really mean to be such an ass all the time. I just get testy sometimes, I mean I can’t be nice and happy ALL the time and I already have to do that in school all day everyday so she ends up being the one who hears my complaining.

1BrianL said...

I find no difference in the words mom and mother, to me they are the same word. A mom is someone that does things for their child like laundry, or makes lunches, or reads a book. They are there more for their daughters than sons, not that I know from first hand experience becuase i have no sister, but i assume my mom would treat me much differently if I were a girl. I always remember my mom taking me to the beach to be honest. That is where she grew up, and there is a boardwalk so we sat under there so i did not get burnt all the time at such an early age. I spent most of my childhood summers at the beach and I always remeber the sandwiches she made for me that stuck to the roof of my mouth. I do see certain qualities in a couple girls that make me think they will be good moms. Just some girls love to baby sit and love little children. It's obvious that they will want to have children themselves one day, and will already have some experience with little kids. I would tell my mom i should have listened to her more, and should have respected her more at certain times. I had stupid CCD when i was little, and one time my mom taught the class, and she made a really fun game and spent a lot of time on it. She had like giant candy bars as prizes. I remember that everyone in the class was poking fun at her and I was making fun as well. That is just so horrible, that i could not stand up for my mom, and she was trying to do something really nice and cool. It breaks my heart a little everytime I tihnk about it. I wish I could go back to that day and make sure the class acted better and gave her the respect she deserved. I feel like that moment changed my life forever, I dont know if it's positive or negative yet. Sorry mom.

Anonymous said...

Of course I think there is a difference between a mother and a mom, it’s like how there’s a difference between a father and just a sperm donor. The dictionary defines a mother as a woman who has given birth to a child. Nothing to complex about that right! I mean if that’s all it takes then all the women in the world that haven given birth are mothers, but in my opinion they’re not yet moms. The true definition of a mom can’t be found in a textbook or on the internet. I believe that in order to be a real mom and a good one at that; it takes a special type of person. I can’t really say what type of person that might be but I do know that my mother was just a mother. She gave birth to me but didn’t really except the responsibilities that come along with being a mother. So even though I don’t know what exact qualities that a person may need to become a “mom”, but I do know what I would like my mother to be like. I want her to love me not because she went through nine long hours of labor and has to but to love me because I am the most important thing in her life. I think a child should always come first and feel that no matter what happens you have someone like a mom to fall back on. So my perfect mother would probably be the opposite of the mother I have now, not because I don’t love my mother but because, like I previously said, it takes a special person to be a mother. To be a mom you must be willing to sacrifice. It is extremely hard for a human being not to be selfish and put another individual before them selves constantly, most of the time we can’t do it. Sometimes I even doubt that I’ll be able to make the sacrifices that it takes to be a good mom, and that’s what makes me not even want to have children. Personally I fear having a child and not being able to give them everything they need out of a mother. I fear that I will fail them in some way and possibly even be like my own mother. I don’t ever want to put a child through the heartbreak that my mother has put me through and I won’t. Regardless of whether or not I fear being a mom I know that I will do my best when the time comes and given my past experiences at least I know what not to do as a mother! If there was one thing I would tell my mother that I haven’t yet told her is that I truly love her. I love her after everything that we’ve been through and everything she has and hasn't done I will always love her because she is my mother and really tries to be a good mom.

michaelc said...

Now that I think of it, I do think that there is a difference between a "mom" and a "mother". I see a mother as a more strict parent figure who the child isn't very closely attched to. Yeah the mother provides shelter, food, and care but there isn't a very strong bond. A mom on the other hand is a very loving and caring parent. There is a very strong mother-son/daughter bond. They aren't just there because you are their child, they are there for you no matter what the circumstance. To tell you the truth, I really don't remember the FIRST memory of my mom, just a whole bunch of memories from when i was really young. I can't tell which one was the earliest. I never really thought about the qualities in girls that would make them a good mom. Now that i realized this I will probaly notice things that hint the good/bad mom traits. I must say I do want to be like my mom. She is such a hard-working and determined person. She is very wise and always makes the right decisions. She is such a good role model. OK, so if there is one thing I could tell my mom that she didn't know before is you're right. As teenagers, we think we know everything but I gotta admit, you're right. Flat out plain and simple.

williama said...

When you ask if there is a difference between a mother and a mom the answer is pretty simple. I would say that there is a difference between a mother and a mom. A mother and mom both start out on the same page. They carry you around for nine months and give birth. But when she gives birth that is where it branches off into a mother and a mom. For a mother all they really do for you is carry you around for those nine months. They will either get rid of you shortly after the birth or if decided to keep you then they will do a poor job at raising you. She wouldn’t be a good role model, wouldn’t help with the problem and in a way neglect you. Now for a mom this is completely different. A mom is there for every important event in your life. They usually are the reason that those things happen to you. A mom loves you no matter how bad you mess up. You may disappoint them or piss them off but at the end of the day she will still kiss you good night and tell you that she loves you. A mom will back you up 100% with anything. They will go out of there way to help you. I think that there are certain qualities in girl that I would associate with the thought of a mom. I think that care and love would be something. Girls tend to be more emotional(not all the time) and I think that makes them care about others. I would love to be like my mom. She is a great person. She always has a positive outlook on things and she is very smart. She has the answers to just about every question that I have. I don’t think that there is something that I could say in this blog that my mom doesn’t know. I tell her all the time that I love her and that she is great. But I could just say it in here again because I can never tell her it enough. She does everything that she can to help me and make me happy.

Nicole L said...

MOTHER, hmm when I think of this word I get disgusted. On the other hand when I think of the word MOM I think of an unbreakable bond. For as long as I have known (barely) my “mother” she was nothing but s hassle to my life. Sure she stopped by a few times a year when she wasn’t high on drugs trying to me a “mom” she could never even come close to meeting the standards of. Mother and Mom are to completely different things to me, and always will be. Sure Laurie Lawson carried me around for a long, hard 9 months in her stomach, but those nine months will never make up for the long, hard 18 years that woman gave me, NEVER. Sure, it may not seem like the fact I have not seen her in about 11 years doesn’t bother me, but it does; everyday. I just think to myself who in the world could have to children and not give to craps about them. I mean my brother is an amazing kid, no matter where we are he always has the room bursting with laughter; but after all these years I have realized she does not deserve to know him. Yeah, by blood she is my “mother” but she will never EVER be my MOM. My mom is ANN MARIE MARTONE-LAWSON, and will forever be. For years when I was younger I watched my dad date a handful of woman and I remember always wishing on 11:11 please let this one be my mom, I remember on “Mother’s Day” children making gifts for their “Mother’s”. What was I doing? Making a gift for my dad. I was about 7 when I last saw Laurie so I’m not that sure what her life has brought her, I heard a few stories of her but they went in one ear and out the other. When my father started dating Ann Marie, I would constantly compete against her because me and my father started drifted in my eyes, but when in reality he just finally found “ the right” person. A mother is a person who never gives up on their child and that is what Ann Marie has always done. When her and my father first started dating I was a brat, she could of left then but didn’t. She was there for me every step of the way through grade school, middle school, high school, puberty, relationships, and deaths in my family, my brightest and my worst days. I can honestly say she is the ONE person I can always count on. Just because your “Mother” carried you in her stomach for 9 months doesn’t make her a “Mother”. These women tend to think once they give birth to the child they have done their part in being a mother. Being a mother is about nurturing your child with love and support. Being there to take your child to the park or be there at Christmas or even throw birthday parties, not Laurie, BUT always Ann Marie. Laurie is my biological mother and gave birth to me along with a side of heart ache. Ann Marie has cried with me, laughed with me, fought with me, supported me; there is nothing that will ever come between us. A mother can be any careless person, but a mom now that takes time and effort. For as long as I have known Ann Marie, I remember always wanting to call her mom, not just because it had been a while since I had a mom; the fact is she was my FIRST REAL MOM. Having a mom is the greatest feeling in the world always having someone to talk to and depend on and I know Ann Marie has both of those qualities. Some things I would like to do exactly like my mom, but some things I want to do on my own. Moms are learning life right along with us; they make mistakes, but never stop loving us. Sure, my mom is not always right, but she always tries her best to make things right. I have always wanted to be a mom, considering the fact I love babies. In a way I thank Laurie for making me go through so many difficult tasks, because I feel as if I will be a very strong, loving mother. I will never abandon my kids or do drugs like Laurie did. If you are not willing to be a mom simply do not have children. Little babies are so innocent and do not deserve to go through the pain many children do today. All babies/children should have a shot at life and have the chance to have a stable, loving mom like my own. If there is one thing I could tell my mom it would be sorry for being so rough on her when she first meant my dad, and I wish I could give her a hug for every time I gave her an attitude or yelled, and that I want to help her in life with anything. When my mother is older I want her to know that I want to take care of her, she deserves it. She came into a relationship with my dad knowing all the downfalls and issues, and she still made it through and succeeds everyday. I want her to know I truly look up to her. I know actions speak louder then words, but I just want to say Thank You MOM I love you with all my heart and always will, truly.

JordanK said...

I myself do think there’s a difference between having a mother and having a mom. I believe when you have a mother she is following the so called ‘textbook’ of being a mother. Like going through all the childhood basics but when the kids grow up she will still be a mother to them. Even as old and as grown her kids will get, she will always be their mother and want to tell them what to do. A mom is a child’s friend and mother at the same time. Lots of my friends have mom’s we can talk to and tell what we’ve done, no matter what it is. Yeah there are qualities in girls that associate the idea of a mom and the main one; to me, is they care more than guys. To be a mother you have to care and guys don’t care at all about some things. I would love to be like my mom! In her loving and caring way and the way that no matter the situation she always teaches me to be comfortable. There is not one thing on this blog that I couldn’t tell my mom because she and I talk about everything and she knows everything.

Paul H said...

i too feel there is a difference between a mother and a mom. a mother is just the woman who gave birth to you. and a mother is only connected to you legally and by blood and that is about it. a mom on the other hand is someone who gave birth to you but is always there for you whenever you need her. someone to go to advice or comfort or just someone to talk to. a mother may end up leaving you with no qualms. but a mom has a hard enough time letting you go off to college. i dont really remember my first recollection of my mom i just remember her always being there. there are some qualities i associate as being motherly such as someone who likes to take care of others before themselves. also someone who is always trying to be there for comfort and advice for their friends. i feel as though i am a lot like my mom already. she is a very laid back and happy person. she doesnt let much get to her and she is very open minded. i feel these are qualities i got from my mom. there is not really anything i would tell my mom because there is nothing i have not told her. me and my mom are very open with each other so there are not any secrets between us.

stephen m said...

I think that there are very important roles of both mothers and moms. The most important on to be is a mom. A mom is someone who is there for their children or children who look up to those women as parents. All people have to have some kind of balance in knowing what a perent should act like. If not people tend to not be able to care for the children of their own and the cycle starts over. A mom cares and takes a child as their own offspring even if their is no relation at all. Some people have the ability to do this but others have not the ability to take responsibility for their own children. I think if all people had moms and not just mothers the entire world would be different. There would be less anger and fewer bad relationships. when i see a girlwho is caring and tries to help a person who has a lost or hurt look and comforts them with no positive motive but to make some one feel good that is the most showing aspect of a mother.

Roodly A said...

i think that there is a small defferrence a between mother and a mom. when you have a good mom you dont refer to them as mother. i have a mom not a mother. a mom is someone who cares alot about you,someone you can talk to, some one that will always be there for you no matter what. a mom is someone that raised you with respect and courage. A mom is smart brave,teaches you things,and can also be your best friend. my mom have been with me since i was born, she never left my side. she tought me how to brush my teeth, tie my shoe, ride my bike, and she also taught me how to swim. i can go on and on about my mom. A mother is someone that cares but act like they dont, some mothers act fake, some mothers act as if they dont love their child but deep down inside they do. mothers let their child disrespect them somtimes, most mothers also spoil there child and give them what ever they want.iam glad i have a mom,its nice how i know that my mom loves me and would do anything for mean.iam also happy that my mom would even risk her life to save me now thats a mom. when i grow up i want to be just like my mom. i would treat my kids just like how my mom treated me. i want to be brave like my mom and i also want to be a great cooker just like her too. welll idont have a mother i have a mom and the only thing i could tell my mom on this blog that she didnt know before is that i am a grown man and i dont want her grabing my cheeks in front of girls anymore because its embarrising and it gives me this funny feeling inside.iam 17 years old now mom cut it out lol.

marcus m said...

There is definitly a difference between a mom and a mother. I was blessed enough to have a mom. A mom not only gives birth to you but loves you with all parts of her and actually cares for you when you need them. My mom not only loves me but shows that she loves me.In my eyes a mother is no where near as loving as a mom. A mother gives birth to you and allows you to maybe live in their house. She might even feed you from time to time. I rather have a mom than a mother anytime. Most of my childhood memories involve my amazing mom. It involes two things that I love shrimp and my mom. The earliest is probably when I was around six my mom would take me to the supermarket and we would buy pounds of shrimp, because we both love to eat it. Then once we would finish shopping she would put them on the stove and cook them for my brother and I because my dad doesn't like seafood. For a girl to be considered a mom in my eyes she must be kind, caring, smart, and of course good with all types of children from the ages of one month to around fourteen. I would like to be somewhat like my mom There are two specific qualities that I want. I really want to be as funny as her because she can make the angriest person crack up. She is the reason that I never come to school upset or angry. I would also like to have her compassion, she is a very compassionate person, and I love that about her. She cares for everyone in our family and even feels sad when things happen to people that she doesn't know. If I would tell my mom one thing it would be that I love her more love itself. But I am very open with my mom and we share everything with each other.

jesskeating. said...

To me, “Mother” is a very formal word unlike the word “Mom” which is more informal. Calling my Mom, “Mother”, to her face is like I’m calling her Mrs. Keating which is very impersonal where as calling her “Mom” is like calling her Lisa which is definitely more on a personal level. I believe there Is a difference between Mom and Mother. Everyone has a “Mother” because someone, whether or not she is around in your life, had to give birth to you. That is all that I believe a mother actually is. A Mom on the other hand is the female figure in your life who has nurtured you, shaped you, and helped you grow during your life journey and experiences. A Mom does not specifically have to be the person who gave birth to you; it could be a grandmother, an aunt, a friend of the family, a friend’s mom, or even a neighbor. I honestly cannot remember the earliest memo I remember is that she was always there in practically every memory that i have growing up and even now, which I and very thankful for.
I do want to be a Mom. Ever since I was a little girl I used to run around saying that I wanted to be a Mommy and a Cowgirl even though that one is irrelevant and no longer a dream. I think that I would make a great Mom because I have always been the one looking out for my friends and even others that I am not so close to. I can listen and hell I just love kids in general. I always know how to make them laugh and make them stop crying if they bumped into something. I suppose my love for children is the reason why i also want to become a Pediatrician.
I do want to be like my mom when I become a Mom. She never set any ridiculous strict rules for me and my brother to follow, but she did set our limits. She let us shape who we wanted to be without any questions asked. She gave us freedom to express and that is what I am most thankful for. She never once judged me or my brother for anything.
I just want my mom to know that I love her unconditionally no matter what and I always will. I really don’t think there is anything that could happen that could change my love for my mom.