Sunday, September 28, 2008

Happiness Is....

Over the past few weeks, we've been talking about the future; specifically, where you're going and what you're going to do in the next four years. We've discussed and researched colleges and careers and the more practical side of your plans. So now, let's take a minute to get introspective about the future.
One of the things I asked you to do in your college research report was to figure out what you would bring to the college/university of your choice, and what IT would bring to YOU. One way to consider that question is to figure out what it is that makes you happy. Do you know?
I want you to think about the last time you were truly happy. Not "having fun" and not simply "satisfied" with how your life was going, but HAPPY. There is a difference, and it is important that you can identify it.
So, this week, let's talk about happiness. In your own words, define it. When was it that you felt genuinely happy? Describe it. What synonyms do you equate with happiness? Why? What does it feel like?
(400 words/55pts)

48 comments:

Sam S said...

A lot of things make me satisfied happy, but only one part of my life can make me look into a rainy dark sky and it would show sun and a blue sky. I do know what makes me happy and there is just one thing. Actually it’s a person who makes me happy not a “thing” or a “what”. Happiness to me is not only just always seeing clear skies and sun, but when you just have a bad day with everything than that one part of your life that makes you happy comes and you just can’t wipe a smile off your face. In my case, I can walk the halls saying I hate people and I just want to be left alone, accept for one person in my life. Also, happiness in my life is feeling like I served my purpose of being born, or I have completed what I needed to complete on the earth. Last time I felt complete happiness was on Friday night, 9/26/08, because that was the last time I saw him. I don’t care what anyone says about how someone can’t make me that happy. Honestly, he does make me that happy. When we are together, it feels like complete magic to my life. Every day I go to school and deal with teachers telling me to learn this and do homework because it will make me a better student. On the rare occasion I see him, it’s a complete twist of feeling and scenery which makes me feel a whole lot better. Not only feeling better, but as I said, happiness to me is not being able to get rid of a smile even after the worst day with everyone in school or at home. That’s exactly how he makes me feel. I can’t really come up with one word synonyms, but I know how to describe my happiness. When I’m with this person who makes me genuinely happy, I feel so relieved that it’s almost as if I was reborn as a baby with no worries and no responsibilities. Also sometimes I have described a night or day with him to a friend as feeling as if I could fly because everything was so relaxing and so perfect. As much as this seems like satisfied happiness, this is my genuine happiness. The one person I run my mouth about every single day and the one person who makes me feel like I served my purpose of being born. Without this person I would be running around wondering why I was living and why I would want to wake up the next morning. He has answered all of the questions. I want to wake up because of him and I live everyday because every night without being said I know he cares for and about me more than anyone else. It feels beyond amazing to be able to just see a person and everything be like a clear blue sky with a bright yellow sun in my life.

genny wright :) said...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time.
Enjoying one moment at a time.
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next. This prayer, by Reinhold Niebuhr, is my secret to happiness. Synonyms that equate with happiness are: euphoria, love, life, gift, trust, possibilities, ableness, indefinite, and everlasting. Not every person is happy, and its a sin to me because happiness can be aquired just through the way a person thinks. All that really matters is staying positive and true to yourself and others. By doing this for myself, I've atrracted other amazing people into my life and we influence eachother in so many ways. Having fun and being satisfied and just feelings. They are good feelings I get but they come from truely loving myself and the people that I know love me. I believe that everyone really just wants to be loved. I think it brings a person such a good feeling to share who they are with someone else. I have the most amazing relationship with my boyfriend, and I love him for the simple fact that we make eachother happier than we ever remember being. It feels like a million differant things, but I am genuinely happy, and I have been for the past year. I figured out that Im going to have to do for myself, because only I can control the ultimatum of my life. Instead of dragging on a problem, I find a solution so I can keep moving on. Honestly that feels like nothing can stand in my way.

ash tharp said...

wow what a question this is hard to answer because i am not sure if i truely know what happiness is to me. i might have thoughts of it now but i wonder if it will change later down the line.i believe in my heart that i don't have all the knowledge yet to know my true happiness. Happiness for me now stands for love, respect, goals that you can success, family and believe in yourself so that you never tell yourself that you can't do anything that you can put yourmind in. but one main thing that i believe you need to be happy is, that you need a passion and for me that is cooking it makes me feel so warm feeling its so hard to descibe its nothing i never felt before until i really took the efforts to learn and have a job it in that i know it makes me happy that i will be working in this field. the most happiness time in my life was when my family got together at my aunts where we celebrated my little cousns birthday and my congradulations for be the youngest employee at a casino.i don't know but i just love to feel love and for me to make myself happy.

Anonymous said...

This is possibly one of the hardest questions I have ever been asked. I really had to think hard to answer this question. Then I questioned it thinking, "Have I ever been happy?" I eventually came to the conclusion that the last time I have been happy was when I was a little kid. When I was a little kid I don't recall being pressured and going through the hardships of life like I am now. As a little kid everything is new and different, and the old stuff is still great. For example, whatever happened to cartoons, they were always the best shows on TV. Now all the good shows are all reality shows about people being stressed out in life. When I was a kid I wake up every day and felt great about life. Now I wake up and just want the day to be over with. The life of a child is the good life. Now I regret not listening to my elders when they told me to cherish my youth.
If I could define "happy" I would say it is the infinite feeling of joy. The thought that everything in your life is going well is what happiness is. Happiness is like the feeling you get when you try ice cream for the first time. It's great! The first time you try ice cream it's like you've seen life in a new perspective. Everything from there on becomes part of the best moments of your life. The only thing you want is for this feeling to last forever. The only thing about it is that it will not last forever and pretty soon you will be hit in the face by the fist of life. Happiness is just something you wish you had more often. The reason being happy feels the way it does is because you have this feeling everyday of your life. It's one of those "once in a blue moon" feelings. If you could truly say you felt happiness almost every day of your life you probably do not know the true meaning of happiness. Happiness comes so rare, that is why when you actually do have the feeling it feels great. Happiness is like the equivalent of a depressed person's high. They will do whatever it takes to get this feeling. They will sell their sole for happiness. That is how great this feeling is. It is just the fact of knowing everything in your life is going well.

Anonymous said...

Happiness is the joy of which you partake in. It’s an emotion that you have to allow yourself to endeavor. Some people push this emotion away from them, only because it is rare. Not many people are used to happiness. Not many people would know how to react when happiness came their way. Personally, I love being happy. I love that feeling of completeness. That vision of me and another alone, even when others are near. Nothing can compare to the highest point of happiness I’ve reached. When I thought it was impossible to go even higher, it did.

I remember it like it was yesterday. The suns ray shined upon his face as he sat there on the beach. As I sat between his legs, he hugged me tight as if he would never let go. All of a sudden, he whispered three words to me, in which I longed to hear. “I love you”, he said as the sun was setting the most amazing set I’ve ever seen. At that moment, all sadness had left me to the point that I wasn’t sure what it was. Not that I’ve never heard those words before, but the meaning behind them, just this time, felt as if us together were destined to be. When the words left his gentle lips, shivers flew down my spine. What was strange about these shivers was that they weren’t normal. It wasn’t the shivers you feel when you’re scared. Nor was it the shivers felt when someone tickles you. It wasn’t even the shivers of one as they get cold. It wasn’t quite the normal shivers, but ones that acted as a changing point in my life. When I felt this ultimate happiness, it was hard to comprehend pain. Weirdly, I tried, but nothing came. At that moment I couldn’t identify hate, or stress, or sadness, or even loneliness; nothing, but joy.

As the sun set and darkness came, we remained sitting there until the stars came out. He covered me with his jacket, as true gentlemen would when he saw his girlfriend had goose bumps. Strangely, the feeling of ultimate happiness lasted a couple hours. The time had past so fast. During our time together we weren’t bored. This seemed unnatural because we weren’t doing anything else but sitting there for fairly a long time. It is to my belief that this was because he had the same feeling of happiness as I did. For a little over the past year, I’ve felt close to this happiness every day of my life, all thanks to this one man.

Later that night I lied in bed, still smiling about my day. That feeling was something almost indescribable, though I have tried. I am blessed to have felt that feeling, and I hope that it is reachable to everyone.

BlakeR said...

Happiness comes in different forms, one person could be happy with the way their life is now, and another person could be happy with they way their life was. Other people could think happiness in different ways, some could view it different. It's not one single set and it wont stay the same for ever. The last time I was truly happy had to be last year. I had everything in my life going perfect from meeting new friends, to catching up with old ones, and just living life. I did have fun but that is what comes with happiness. When someone is happy they are having fun, 97% of the time and the other 3% is where the drama and problems fit into life. Everyone should be happy with their life because it will reflect off your personality to other people's personalities. Mainly friends, they see you and the way you act all the time. Some times people know you better than you know yourself. You could think in your mind one thing and not know the answer, and will just need the bump. Some times you can't do it yourself and you look for people to help you out. Happiness is always with everyone and will be in everyone's life. No one is born miserable.

evank said...

The last time I was truly happy was when I was on my last 50 mile hike 3 years ago. It makes me happy because all the stress in my life seems to go away. Being surrounded by natur and not four walls and buildings or surrounded by a bunch of people feels great. The challenge of having to hike a trail coverd with rocks and up and around mountaines and having to climb up rocks to get to the top is relaxing to me because once you get to the top of the mountaine the view is breath taking. I love to hike but its these hikes that truly make me happy. It gives me a huge boost of confidence and pride when I finish the hike and it leaves me wanting more.

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of regular things that can easily make me happy. A few of them are strawberry-banana yogurt, a fashion magazine, and getting new earrings/going shopping. These things come and go, but the one true thing that makes me happy is life itself. "Life's a garden...you gotta dig it." This quote fits me so perfectly of my personality and what I've been through in life. I'm happy to be alive and what life itself has to offer. I could wake up and have the most horrible day, yet I still find a way to be happy. Most people equate happiness to superficial things, but not me. Besides this, the last time that I can say when I was truly happy, was when I was little. I think it had to do with the fact that I was naive and didn't know any better. You should have seen me. I would wake up and just be full of joy and was ready to do anything and everything. Even when I was hurt, I would still find a way to make the best of it. There is really no real way of defining happiness. The way that I would put it is this warm fuzzy feeling that you feel inside because you're content with yourself. Being happy doesn't mean that you are happy all the time. It means that you're willing to look past everything and still manage to move on. The synonyms that I would classify with happiness are prosperity, joy, well-being, and satisfaction. I chose prosperity and the others because it ties into well-being and satisfaction. If you have a sense of well-being, then you are joyful, which leads to prosperity because you want to have good fortune, making the end result of satisfaction. Every single last one of these encompasses happiness at its fullest.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

There are a lot of regular things that can easily make me happy. A few of them are strawberry-banana yogurt, a fashion magazine, and getting new earrings/going shopping. These things come and go, but the one true thing that makes me happy is life itself. "Life's a garden...you gotta dig it." This quote fits me so perfectly of my personality and what I've been through in life. I'm happy to be alive and what life itself has to offer. I could wake up and have the most horrible day, yet I still find a way to be happy. Most people equate happiness to superficial things, but not me. Besides this, the last time that I can say when I was truly happy, was when I was little. I think it had to do with the fact that I was naive and didn't know any better. You should have seen me. I would wake up and just be full of joy and was ready to do anything and everything. Even when I was hurt, I would still find a way to make the best of it. There is really no real way of defining happiness. The way that I would put it is this warm fuzzy feeling that you feel inside because you're content with yourself. Being happy doesn't mean that you are happy all the time. It means that you're willing to look past everything and still manage to move on. The synonyms that I would classify with happiness are prosperity, joy, well-being, and satisfaction. I chose prosperity and the others because it ties into well-being and satisfaction. If you have a sense of well-being, then you are joyful, which leads to prosperity because you want to have good fortune, making the end result of satisfaction. Every single last one of these encompasses happiness at its fullest.

JordanK said...

What is happiness? The dictionary defines it as delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing. But I define it as not having any worries with anything, being content with life and how it’s going, and even just satisfied with how things are going; not over a particular thing. The only times and last times I could truly say that I was happy is during the summers when my whole family was together and I had no drama to worry about. Both of my siblings moved to the west side of the country and my mom wants to also, I am highly considering it because ill be happy there. I am not happy in jersey, there’s too much drama here already and I’m only 17. When I was 11 my brother moved to Colorado and when I was 15 my sister to Utah. I’ve been going the Colorado the past 3 summers and spending it there. Its amazing there; beautiful place, nice people, I do what I want because I’m basically on my own. But its just missing one thing; my mom. I love it out there. But it’s never been the same since both Justin (brother) and Heather (sister) moved away. The 3 times since than that my mom, brother, and sister and I have been together it has been so fun; no worries in the world, content with my life, and satisfied in general. It feels great to be happy; no other emotion tops it to me. Some synonyms that relate to happiness to me are lucky, relaxed, going well, and smooth. Lucky because if you are truly happy; than you are one lucky person. A lot of people say that they’re happy but don’t mean it. Relaxed and smooth because when you’re happy you don’t have a worry in the world, you can just kick back and enjoy life. And finally the synonym going well means happiness to me because…. Everything is going well, and you are easy, successful, and just content. My life goal is to be a successful person and be happy.

Nicole L said...

I wonder if we ever know when we are HONESTLY happy. Sure, there are times when we might be happy we got an A on a test or we got our diver license but that doesn’t mean your actual life is happy. There are many things in life that make ME happy but does that make me genuinely happy everyday. I could be having a horrible day and being around my friends will make me happy for that time period, but once there gone I go right back to sad. For example your parents give you a hundred dollars, wow you’re shocked, you feel like you have to go right to the mall and spend it, but what does that leave you with? Of course, you have a few new outfits to wear but you’re not truly happy with your life. Just because there are moments in our life in which we are happy does not mean we are truly happy. Teachers cannot just come to school with a bad attitude they have to be in some sort of disguise. It’s not in the job script to show your true emotion it’s to educate children. Teachers and any type of worker has a real life outside of school filled with emotions, hard times, great times, but when those hard times get hard they cannot just ball their eyes out while walking down to their homeroom class in the 300 wing, they have to stay in disguise as an educator. So do you think it is that easy to just always be happy? I find being more discontent then happy and sometimes I have to dig deep and find what is filling me with these forlorn emotions sometimes, whether its my boyfriend, a fight wit my friends/family, or my grades but it is all things I can change to make myself happy. My dad once told myself you have to learn to simply love yourself before you can be truly happy. And I believe that is just the reason I am not truly happy. There are things I have wanted to change so long such as my grades or my weight but I just have not gotten to it yet. Recently, I have realized I have to put my goals first over other people needs and so I have proceeded with this idea.
Over the past three long years of high school, in which felt like an emotional roller coaster, I learned one thing do not keep things bottled up have at least one person you can go to with everything. For me this person is either a select few of my friends or my mom. Believe me when I say you will feel so much better once you get things out and get advice and you will find happiness. The one time I truly believe I was happy was at the 21 down dance last year for student council. This is a dance in which Oakcrest Student Council has for children or adults who have Down syndrome. At first I was not to thrilled to go to this dance because I find it extremely devastating people have to be live with this horrible disease but when I got there it was the most heart warming experience I have ever encountered. This night was not just a moment of happiness it’s a time in which has carried into my life now. I cannot wait until this year to attend that dance again. If you go for one minute just see how happy and grateful these people were for just spending 3 hours with us eating, talking, and dancing you would be so happy. I realized if someone who has Down syndrome that goes through there whole life struggling can be happy then I can probably be 20 times happier, and helping them made me 20 times happier. I looked up a definition for happiness and this appeared fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy. Bliss is a great word to describe being happy. It means to be filled with utter joy and contentment or the feeling of paradise. It is commonly used for marriage what is suppose to be life time happiness. And I believe true happiness never dies. SO like I said learn to love yourself, and then you can be truly happy. So now I am asking you, are you TRULY happy?

Katherine B said...

When you first asked us to think about what made us truly happy in class, my mind froze. Because to be completly honest true happiness is hard to come by. Everyone has moments where they think they are completly happy but they are just fooling themselves. Until a couple days ago I was one of those people. It seems ironic that my moment of true happiness came after I started thinking about it, but lets face it happiness is happiness.
It was a sunday night and I was bummed because I hadn't seen my boyfriend since school on friday. But to add on to that dissapointment it was our anniversary and I really wanted to see him, but we both knew it wasn't happening. So I sat in my desk chair and texted him. All of a sudden he said the sweetest thing, and my heart sank. It was unlike anything I have ever felt before, I was truly happy to know I found someone that I can find true happiness in, and to also know that he feels the same way.
In my opinion happiness is bliss, love, and control. Simply because when you love and are in control of you heart and a situation good things happen. Although we are only human and do take the good with the bad, good always wins, just like in a Disney movie.

Niah Grimes said...

I’ve never had the pleasure of being happy, at least if I did it was such a rare feeling I didn’t take the time to appreciate it or live in it. My happiness is riding a bicycle on a warm day through Tuscany with the one you love, or living worry free. I feel like simple things will make me happy, but my life won’t permit such happiness. I’m always stressed I worry like crazy, and overall my life isn’t what I want it to be. I wish I could access happiness and recognize it. Reading some of people’s post I realize love is a big part of happiness, and why wouldn’t it be. Everyone wants someone to love them despite their flaws, someone to be there when life just knocks you down. Someone who just understands them. If I had to describe being happy I would be in love, and have someone who loved me, really loved me. Everyone deserves someone who really loves them and having that is a big part of accessing happiness. But its not all it is, happiness is much more.
To make a general definition of happiness is impossible, because happiness is different for each individual. What makes me happy won’t make everyone else happy. So if I had to try to define happiness it wouldn’t come close to my happiness because I have no clue. I know when I feel it all my worries will become non existent, and it’ll feel like my heart is smiling and all the world is hugging me.
Sometimes I feel like I should be happy I have a nice house, car, family, friends, I’m blessed, I’m smart, pretty, yet I’m not happy. This scares me because I always imagined that the combination of all those things should make a person happy, but I’m not. This also makes me feel like I don’t appreciate my life there are people who are worse off then I am and I can’t even be happy. So what is it? What makes a person who has everything live an unhappy life? What does it take to be blessed enough to feel happiness every so often? I wish I could discover what will make me happy, truly happy. The world is so horrible and to be forced to live in it we should all be able to access are happiness, or what is there to live for.

Nancy M said...

Happiness is feeling like your floating on air. To have that moment that is so peaceful so fulfilling that your just breathless. A moment that feels like time has stopped and nothing else in the world matters. The definition of happiness is when you almost have an outer body experience because what’s going on is just too good to be true.
True happiness is something that I wish I could find but I’m afraid I never will. I don’t ever recall looking back on a moment in my life and identifying that I was truly or blissfully happy. I’ve had so many let downs in my life that I don’t think I will ever allow myself to be truly happy. Every time I feel myself almost getting to that “floating on air” feeling I come back to reality and I’m disappointed once again. It seems as though everyone and everything in my life has left me feeling nothing but empty. Without the love of a father, concern of a mother, trust of a boyfriend, confidence in myself, I feel like I’m just settling with being satisfied. Never letting myself strive for the best to reach truly being happy.
I know that when a person is truly happy its like this emotion takes over them that they can’t explain. When you asked us to think of the last time we were truly happy I got upset about that question. I thought soooo long and hard about it and I came up empty handed. Then when I read this blog I actually started to cry. I feel that its kind of pathetic that I am my own obstacle that is standing in the way of me being truly happy. However I think I know what would make me truly happy. I think it would start off by me breaking down the wall I’ve built between other people and myself and accepting the things in my life that I can not change. Then it would be followed by having someone in my life truly and whole heartedly care about me and not just a temporary caring about me. And have that person accept me for who I am and just take my breath away. My heart goes to all of those people who have truly been happy at some point in their lives and I hope that feeling stays with them forever. I wish that some day very soon either I do something that makes me truly happy or something happens in my life that will allow me to have that breathless moment.

melissa gu said...

Every living being in this world has had happiness in their life. Whether it be winning the lottery, or seeing a long lost relative, everybody has had a most truly happy moment in their life. Being truly happy to me means that for some reason you can’t stop smiling or you just feel all tingle inside that you just can’t help but dance or sing. Sometimes you’re just so happy that you even cry and although that may sound weird it has happened. You may even just, for no reason at all, wake up feeling truly happy. The last time I was genuinely happy was around sometime last week. The feeling happened when I just woke up and I knew because I felt well rested and that usually doesn’t happen when I wake up at 5:40 in the morning. After that moment of feeling well rested, the day felt like I was walking on clouds, it’s just the best feeling that I ever had in my lifetime. Another time when I feel truly happy is when I spend some quality time with my family. Like for instance, this Monday was my grandpa’s birthday party and all my close family, who I haven’t seen for months, came to enjoy a nice little celebration. I was so excited to see my cousins little baby daughter and my favorite first cousin. Happiness is a word that has so many different ways to explain it. Some of the words that I associate with happiness are enjoyment and delight because to me they both mean that you’re have fun at something you really like to do. Being truly happy kind of feels like when you really work hard at a project for a long time and then someone says that they really liked it or want one just like it. It also feels like when you haven’t eaten your favorite food that you rarely can get, like a favorite expensive dessert, for the longest time and then when you actually get to have some of it it makes you feel so good inside that you just want to have some more of your favorite indulgent.

marcus m said...

Laughing makes me happy. If I hear a funny joke I laugh and not to many things can get to me. For instance if I am having a bad day I will go home and listen to my a stand up comedian for about an hour and I am usually relaxed. I am also happy when I am with my family. When were sitting down and playing cards, or just watching television I can't help but to smile and be relaxed. Even if my dad is destroying me in the card games. The only other time I am happy is when I am playing basketball with my friends. If anyone were to watch me they would always see me smiling, some people would think that its because I am not taking the game serious but its because I am so happy that I am even playing.I was truly happy this summer when I went to see my beautiful newborn niece Demiah. That day made me feel complete. My family and I drove an hour to the hopital to see my older sister and we each went up one at a time with my sister to see Demiah. I remember washing my hands and then pushing her wheelchair, On the way there we hit a bump and my sister did not like that to much so I apologized am told her that I will go slower. When we got to the room I was very nervous because I can't remember the last time that I saw a baby. I shuffled into the room with a big stupid smile on my face and just stared for a few minutes at the baby and then at my sister. Right then I felt what might have been the truest form of happiness that I will ever feel. Happiness to me feels as if my heart were smiling. If I had to pick other words for happiness they would be bliss, love, and extremely delighted. I only picked these words because that's exactly what I felt at the time. I guess that this means seeing life is the thing that really makes me happy, because I know that it can be over in an instant. Just seeing beautiful things in life like a family being together or a baby being born or even laughter makes me happy.

JessL said...

The true meaning of happiness sends my mind on a trip to what that really, truly means. It’s hard to describe and to have, even though we mistake it for many other occasions or feelings. Of course a dictionary would define happiness with something along the lines of ’joyful’ or ’good emotions’ but I think the real definition of genuine happiness is more than that. It’s like the state of nirvana that the Buddhists believe everyone should strive to reach. True, genuine happiness is like the final stage of our life where someone can look back over their whole life and be able to say, “That was worth it all,” with a huge smile on his/her face. It’s like going through life and making it the best that you could and be happy with it overall and not have any guilt or worries.
Now I’m not saying only old people can gain this kind of ultimate happiness; anyone can at a certain point and beyond. Anyone who has made life-changing decisions and have been able to step out into the real world and experience life decisions. To have enough years and experience under his/her belt to be able to judge whether what they have done throughout his/her life so far was worth everything. You can judge at that point whether, so far, you have reached true happiness.
So I can’t really say I have reached that point yet. I haven’t been able to experience real life and what it’s like to be on my own and make real decisions to impact my life. I have no reason to think I have ever been truly happy, but there are times that I have felt really happy before, but I know it’s not genuine happiness. They aren’t the same things and it’ll be hard to acknowledge genuine happiness until a few years or so later. I still have ways to go to be able to determine whether I have done everything I had to make me happy and feel great about myself.
I bet the feeling to be genuinely happy is great. It probably greater than feeling loved. It’ll be like self-attainment and being happy with oneself. Like you just completed a life goal and are now on top of the world. It’s probably a feeling that has got to be hard to come down from. Once you reach the genuine happiness, how could you not be that afterwards without making a mistake and falling from that place, only to be left unhappy again and realizing you’re not truly happy. True, genuine happiness has got to be that moment in life when you actually feel alive.

Allison B said...

Happiness, a nine letter word that every single human on this Earth wants to achive. A feeling of complete bliss, with not a cloud in your sky, no negativity, just the feeling of being "complete" and "balanced" out is what happiness is to me. When you can smile just because, and you are one hundread percent at peace with not only yourself, but the life you're living in general. After reading over this blog several times I really had to sit back and think, when's the last time I can say I've honestly been happy, not just had a "good day" or a fun accurance? After playing back times in my life that stick out as happy moments to me, it hit me, the answer to your question is right now, but if you asked such a thing at any other time, I'd more then likely be stumped for hours. My highschool years haven't been the most bareable for me at least, way too much of my time was wasted making my self unhappy. For as long as I can think back viewer's perspective of myself completely consumed me, which doesn't sound like much but it takes a tole on your mind and ways of thinking, which in turn takes a tole on your whole being. This summer was a changing point in my life, maybe the biggest by far, and it simply cannot be narrowed down to a particular day or time. Our wonderful three month break of school started out with me being completely blind, letting myself stick around in a relationship that did nothing but bring me even further down for the previous six months, but if you tried to tell me that while this was all happening, I'd tell you you were crazy. Once things came to an end in this situation, something happened to me. There was a good two weeks of me life that I spent morphing into a new person, and I could not even tell until this blog was posted and my thoughts had to be stirred up for the answer. Leaving personal details out of this, to sum it up losing something can show you how much you have, and how much you're capeable of gaining. In the two weeks following this ending, was as I basically stated earlier, a new begining. For the remainder of the summer I focused on bettering myself, working, and gathering all the people back into my life that I know should be there. Ever since then, I've been a changed person, and all the way for the better. As stated above, I can say I finally reached the point of balance in my life, complete optimism towards everything I face, and a good attitude with my head held high. Thank you for this difficult question, Ms.Bunje, I had an epiphany thanks to you. ;]

Paul H said...

True happiness, in my opinion, is when someone can honestly say that there is nothing wrong in their life and that they would not like anything to change. I am not sure when it was that I felt genuinely happy and I don’t know if anyone does. I feel you just realize one day that your life is where you want it to be and it has been for a while you just haven’t paid much attention to it. I know that I have been truly happy for quite some time now and that could be due to the fact that it doesn’t take much to make me happy. It’s the little things that make me happy and it always has been. Although I do know that I wasn’t always happy as a child that has turned around many years back. Before my parents got divorced there was always tension and awkwardness in my house. Once they got divorced all that seemed to change. They both seemed happier and in return I felt that happiness. For the most part I hardly see my dad but I think its better that way. He always has a negative attitude about things and I am never able to have a normal conversation with him. Him not being around much has made things much better as bad as that sounds. Little things like being able to drive and being able to spend time with my friends are the things that bring me true happiness. Simple things like that. I am not a needy person nor do I ask for much. All I want in life is to be able to spend time with friends and family and to be able to follow the path of my choice. This feeling is not easy to describe because everyone portrays it differently. For me it is just waking up and knowing I am going to have a good day long before anything happens. Serenity and peacefulness are some things I equate with happiness. Nothing is better than having a nice calm day to just do whatever without any worries. Only you can bring yourself happiness. You decide whether or not you let the little things ruin or make your day. So in my opinion anyone can be truly happy as long as they allow themselves to be. Restricting yourself by making yourself upset over insignificant things is what takes away from true happiness.

Jared B. said...

Happiness can only be defined by the person it applies to. No human sees it in the same fashion as another because they have a totally different perspective on life. Different people hold some values over others. While one may need family and friends to be truly happy, someone else may desire solitude. However, we can all easily agree on one thing. Happiness is a task to obtain; it never just falls into our laps. We must reach out and earn our joy, for ourselves if anything.
So how exactly does it feel to be truly happy? I find that it is a sort of overwhelming calmness in life. There are no issues you can’t handle, no stresses to pull you down, and no weight to carry. All is well; all is calm; all is joyous. This is truly a unique feeling for this rarely occurs in the day to day world. We may smile and laugh, carelessly claiming that all is fine, however our hearts and minds scream otherwise. With that raises the main question. How do we ever gain this feeling of peace? Is there any sort of method we can follow in order to attain that level of happiness. Can we, as people, find happiness within our lives? The answer is without a doubt, yes; the question is how do we get there?
Honestly, I’m not sure if I’ve ever felt that feeling. Not since the days of elementary school at least. As a child, there usually are no worries to deal with. The school work is easy and there is plenty of time to rest. Stress has yet to reach our minds, only imagination and anxiousness reside. Perhaps this is the feeling of being truly happy. At that age, dreams guide you and imagination overwhelms the boring events of life. There are no worries, no struggles; our own naïve ways protect us from everything. This feeling of carelessness and freedom, I believe this is what it feels like to be happy.
Is there any way to reach those feelings after childhood? I believe there is, we just have to rise above the petty issues of our time. We must bypass the sadness, the rage, the stress, the fear, and the emotions that hold us back from obtaining peace. The biggest threat to our own happiness is us. If we can just learn to think past the problems, then perhaps someday we can reach that true feeling of carelessness and freedom again.

Anonymous said...

Happiness is when you are totally at peace with yourself and your surroundings. Pure happiness to me is when everyone is getting along and there is no stress or worries. Having fun and being satisfied contribute to happiness, however being truly happy has many other factors. If you are genuinely happy, it means you wouldn’t want it to be any other way. You have no complaints, no wishes, everything to you is perfect. When you are happy, you are comfortable with yourself and the people around you. True happiness is not as common as a lot of people may hope it was.
It is not hard to make me happy. I like to smile and laugh. But smile and laughing does not mean that everything is okay. The only person that can know if you are truly happy is yourself. Happiness is within yourself. Like Aristotle said, “Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient.” You are the key to your own happiness. Your likes and dislikes contribute to what makes you happy.
Happiness for myself is when I am totally relieved of stress, I have no worries, when I am having the best of times with my family and friends, and I am at peace with myself. My friends are a big part of what makes me happy. I find happiness within my friends because they make me feel good. I am scared of being lonely. I could find happiness within myself, but I rather not be alone. I rather have someone to lean on and share my happiness with.
The definition of happiness changes from person to person because everyone has different likes. Synonyms of what I feel is happiness is joy, laughter, peace, stress free. Everyone finds joy, laughter, and peace in different things.
Happiness is within everyone, it just takes more than it takes others to bring that happiness out and truly appreciate it. No one is born unhappy. People that experience rough times tend to appreciate happiness more and not take it for granted as much as someone that never had a bad experience. You cannot truly grasp the meaning of happiness until you experience pain. Happiness is everywhere, you just have to find it within yourself.

S.Ryan L said...

My happiness comes from feeling secure within my life. I’m the kind of person that likes to have order and a solid plan for the future. I really thought about the last time I felt really happy and I came to the conclusion that security and confidents brings me to happiness. The time in my life that best illustrated this realization to me was last February. I felt like I had a plan, I would join the union and become an electrician, I had a path that I could travel on any felt sure of my footing. Life felt really good and I had this overwhelming feeling of joy and confidents about my self that was just indescribable. I didn’t really doubt myself or where I was going and it felt great. Then I received my driver’s license. I already had a car but now this license gave me freedom. I had plans for the future and a great car with the freedom I had been yearning for since I was a freshman. The happier I felt about my life the better life seemed to be. I didn’t have any feeling of stress last year, even when I was sitting in class. I was able to feel good about myself because I felt like I was doing something and going somewhere in my life. Then soon I started dating a girl that would soon become my girlfriend, life was looking sweet. I m sitting here right now thinking about this time and getting the same feeling. The pit of stomach just feels like there is weight lifted off of it. That was the moment that when I felt genuinely happy. When I look at my life now, I just feel stressed out and worried. This summer I work in the electrical field and started to second guess my career choice. You can talk to the people closest to me and they will tell you I feel like crap. It’s because I m worried for my future and what it brings. Thinking about the future is making me sweat in my seat right now. My definition of the word happy would be: being at peace with yourself and the world. Once your comfortable with yourself and having peace with your surroundings what else is there? You can live freely without doubting yourself and without questioning life questions (afterlife). Thinking about the past it seems the more positive I feel about my future the happier I am, and the more negative I feel the worst things seem to get.

Anonymous said...

Happiness is not just a word, it’s more of a concept and while it is easy to define a word the challenge comes when defining a concept because of the fact that everyone has their own view on what happiness is. My definition however is that happiness is where you’re doing what you love to do even when it might stress you out or hurt you or even if at sometimes you really just don’t want to be there. Now although this definition might be completely different from someone else’s it is my own ant there is nothing wrong with it. There was one time that’s pretty recent where I was really happy. This was at my basic encampment for Civil Air Patrol. Although this was full of stress of being yelled at and forced to do both physical and academic tasks it was increasingly difficult to keep a smile off of my face. This was one of the most grueling times of my life. Our wakeup call would be at 5:30 in the morning followed by physical training and this would be everyday with constant people in your face yelling at you. I went through this with a total of 16 other people in my flight. I bonded with these people in a way that not many people get to. This was my first military bonding and I can see why they become so strong. This was such a good feeling it’s unbelievable. This couldn’t have been anything other than happiness because if you didn’t love what you were doing there than you would have just dropped out and went home which I did se cadets do. There was nothing though that was going to stop me from doing my best and loving every second of it. I don’t think that I can only use one word to be a synonym for this kind of a feeling but if I were to use a word it would be satisfaction but not just satisfaction in its self but instead as satisfaction that you are doing what you’re doing because you want to and not because you have to. Also that this thing that you are doing you are getting as much out of it as you possibly can. I never see anything bad with trying to get the most out of everything you are doing because I try to do that in all things that I personally do.

Kirsten A said...

I believe that there is no one true definition to the word happiness. Be cause to each person the word may mean a different thing. Everyone has those few moments where they can look back on life and wish they could be back in that moment. But, most of those moments are just superficial things just because it may seem like a good time in your life does not mean you were truly set and completely happy with your life. Well at least that is true for me. I remember my seventeenth birthday this past June I thought it was going to be the best day of my life I had a brand new car which I was truly happy to have at that moment and I was going for my license going to dinner with all of my friends the day couldn’t have gone any better. Till one moment in a parking lot I get backed into and the side of my brand new car gets smashed in. My day of happiness vanished just like that. It seems when ever life is going my way and I may be happy something has to go wrong. As I was reading some of the other post I noticed that a lot of people talked about love or there boy friend or girlfriend. I myself am I big believe in the fairytale ending and the hole love thing. But, it seems that can never go the way like it does in all of the movies and it is always so crushing when you think your going the right way to you’re happily ever after and its gone in a blink of an eye never to return. I cant tell you how many countless quote love stories I have watched and have my hopes so high on love just to get them crushed in the real world so I have learned that you can not define happiness by love or your relationship status because you can be just as happy in life on your own. I don’t believe that I have ever been truly happy in life I have had several moments or times of happiness in my life but I wasn’t truly happy or set with the way my life was. It takes a lot to accomplish that. There are so many factors that determine when you feel truly happy. You just have to do the things that make you happy and don’t let people put you down you only have one life to live so don’t mess it up doing what other people want you to do.

kelso said...

This blog qeustion must be the toughest one yet that i have to answer,just for the simple fact that I haven't been truly happy i a long time. However for the past couple of weeks I have been thinkig about why I'm not happy and what is it that does make me happy? What makes me happy is knowing that I have people that truly care about me and love me, and are missing me every moment i am away. All I want to be happy is to know that I have a place in this world and have somewhere to go where I belong and not judged.
Happiness is a crucial factor in one's life. It's the feeling of you being able to conquer the world with a snap of your fingers and having every bit of comfort where you go. Happiness is a moment in your life when you feel as if everything is perfect in your life and there's nothing that can mess it up.
All the things I eqiup with the word happiness is joy, carefree,and every great feeling emtion fulfilled. Nothing can ever beat me down when I'm truly happy. It;s a moment in time when I feel indestructible.
Besides just having the sense of comfort, being welcomed with open arms where ever I go, and know that I am truly loved by famiy and friends, being able to relax makes me happy to. When I say realax I don't mean laying down or going to sleep. I mean that i don't have any worries at that point in time and I'm not stresing about anything. I get the feeling of a weight being lifted off my shoulders and don't have any obligations to fulfill.
I believe happiness is drawn from within and everybody has a different perspective on what true happiness is and what makes them truly happy. Many people might need something extravagent to make them happy, at least some would say. When on the inside though, they're just satisfied at that time. For me, I don't need much to make me happy, i just need to be surrounded by the simple things in life.

Anonymous said...

Happiness is something that every person wants to feel. It’s a feeling when you know no matter what goes wrong it won’t bother you just a little bit. Happiness to me means that I am at peace and complete with everything and everyone who surrounds you in your life. Unfortunately, not everyone has this feelings in their life. The definition of happiness is feeling pleasure, contentment, joy. I don’t truly believe that I’ve had that many moments in my life when I knew that I was truly happy. I might feel happy when I’m with my boyfriend, family, or friends. But that’s not a true happiness. My dad could take me all around the world and give me a car but it wouldn’t make me happy. It would just be at that moment I felt happy because I probably wanted all that stuff. I also would be happy when I receive an A on my test or when I apply to college and get accepted. But I don’t think that’s TRUE happiness. When I first read this question I stopped to think about when I was truly really happy. I wish that I could have more happiness in my life to know what that feeling feels like. My dad always told me that to be happy you need to care, respect, and love yourself. No matter what flaws you have, you will love yourself. To tell you the truth I am still trying to love myself. I know that I can’t be perfect and I know that I will make mistakes in my life that will make me who I am. What I’ve learned about myself so far is that I truly have a passion for kids. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to have a job dealing with kids. That decision hasn’t changed one bit. Over this past summer I babysat my two year old cousin almost every weekend. I could have went out to parties or spend time with my boyfriend, but my decision was always to baby-sit my cousin. Although my cousin could annoy me so much by all her singing and crazy baby talking I still went ahead and did what I love to do best. One day when I we both had nothing to do, I decided to take her to the park. Even though she wore me out by her running up and down the park, I didn’t complain. When we went home I took her a shower and put her to sleep. Later we just played games together and watching her laugh and enjoy herself made me feel so happy. I felt that for once I was doing something right. When her mom came to pick her up she began to cry because she didn’t want to leave. She ran over to me gave me a kiss and said “ I love you.” At that moment I was just so surprised that she had said those words. That was a feeling that I never get often. I was TRULY happy. It was a feelings that I wish I got more often. Just to know that I make her happy enough to have her say I love you to me makes me the happiest person ever. I believe that I’ll truly be happy when I begin to love myself and when I get married and begin to have a family with the person that will make me happy for the rest of my life.

shantab said...

Getting A's on your report card, recieving an extremly high pay check, and your birthday are all examples of something that can make one happy. Happiness is too broad of a word to have a simple definition, simply because each person has their own perception of what it is. Despite this, happiness can not just be being satisfied or just content. Its so more complex than just that. For example, some people may be happy when there extremly rich, while others a re happy by just being financially stable.


The last time i can remember being genuinely happy, was when i was about fifteen years old and i went to my first concert. Word's couldn't describe how estatic i was. ESPECIALLY since it was the love of my life's (chris brown) concert. Not only did i have front row, but i got to meet him after the show. I can honesltly say it was the best day of my life. My emotions were flaring every way and i even cried!

I believe that happiness feels like you have not a care in the world and basically you can be knocked over by a feather =]

1BrianL said...

Everybody starts their blog with the same line. That must get annoying. Let me see how long i can go without even saying happiness. I was sitting in my car, which of course isn't even mine, but my dads and i jsut share it on days hes not working or days he has off. Well i was sitting it some day towards the end of July, which for me was a great fun month in general, and has nothing to do with my being happy. It's funny actually because where i was sitting in the car, was nothing more than my break ending and being in the parking lot where i work. I work at a hot place in the summer called the cove beach, as a lifegaurd and there is nothing worse than getting out of the car into the horrible heat. As i sat there i thought for a minute, and i can remember i smile being brought to my face. Honestly, i can't tell you why i was happy, it's something that for some reason comes to me in spurts and always goes away in a couple days. Right then and there in the car about mid July was the last time i was genuinely happy. Happiness is confusing for some people, and I can include myself in the some people categorey. Either it's there and everyone knows it, or it's not there and everyone can really tell your not a happy camper. I don't know what it takes for me, or anyone to get happy. Just little things that build up everyday until eventually you realize how good you have it. Happiness to me means a bunch of different words, like I said above, little things is similar to happiness, even though they have two very different meanings. I'm not sure, but i believe whenever I'm happy it gives me a load of self confidence, and gives me the feeling that i can do anything. Being happy can take a lot for some people, like me, or it can happen everyday, which could mean they have a great life so far, but I'm sure that they will come to realize they can't be happy everyday. People know when I'm happy, because i get very energenic and all smiles. However, for some reason i have not had the genuinely happy feeling since way before school started. what does it take for me to get happy? I don't even know.

Vincent Q said...

I think Happiness is the most valuable thing someone can have. It doesn’t matter how much money or how nice of things your have, if you’re not happy then you’ve got nothing. Happiness is something that can come from something little or something big there no boundaries. It’s the state of mind of not having any problems or worries, just living life with a smile.
The last time I was truly happy was at my Uncle Tom’s Cabin in Maine. My Uncle Tom has a nice little cabin in the mountains of Maine on a lake called Papoose Pond. My family and I go up there every year for a Quartararo family reunion and have the best of times. Well when I sat down on a nice chair on the beach of the lake and just looked out on the beautiful water and saw the Mountains reflections and then see a big fish jump out of the water making a big splash I was just truly happy. I had so much Happiness I couldn’t help but smile. I just realize that I have no problems or worries and I was just happy to be alive and happy to be on this earth. I also realized how much we take life for granted and that everyday I wake up is a gift and I should treat it like one.
Some synonyms I equate with Happiness are Glad, Well, Golden, Laughter. Glad is along the same lines as happiness but I tiny bit different. When people use the word glad they usually mean it as like just being happy, happiness has a deeper meaning to it. Well is sort of like happiness because its saying that they are better then bad but not really good like really great. Golden is another word that is on the same track as happiness, when you say something is golden you mean that its really good and really nice, sort of like gold. And I also put Laughter because with happiness usually comes laughter. When you laugh you happy and are expressing it and that’s what happiness is a part of, being happy.
Happiness is the best feeling. It’s as if you have butterflies in your stomach, you just want to tell the world how happy you are. When I’m happy I feel like theres no better place in the world to be at that moment then right there. You just feel as if your floating on a cloud. It’s a moment of bliss and wish that you could just feel like that 24/7. It’s the greatest feeling on earth and hopefully all of us will feel that moment of Happiness.

kyle w said...

I am sitting here trying to think of some great story to tell you about me being happy, but nothing is coming to mind. I could tell you stories about me being happy, but during none of the stories can I honestly say that I was truly happy. I think being truly happy is when you have accomplished everything you wanted to accomplish and have no worries in the world. I think everybody is truly happy when they are children because kids do not have any worries. Children do not have a care in the world. They go around all day with no stress and do anything they want. For a child every day could be the best day ever because they are happy. Adults can be happy to, but very few are as happy as little kids because they live stressful lives. Some words that come to mind when I think of happiness are stressless and carefree. I hope that some day I can say that I have no stress and that I am truly happy.

Pete D. said...

I can’t say that I truly, totally, 100% know what it is that makes me completely happy. But then again, how many people really DO know what makes them genuinely happy. Sure most may think they know or at least have an idea, but I don’t think it’s safe to say they are always right about what they think makes them happy. To me I think the definition of happiness would have to be when I or someone can truly put their mind to rest not having to worry about any possible troubles, so in other word I guess it’s a form of fulfillment. Along with Happiness definitely come satisfaction and the joy of having fun, but it can not be obtained in the reverse order. When someone is happy it may be the greatest moment of their life, they could be recognized for some great accomplishment they achieved or even just fall in love, because as we ALL know love is soooo important to obtaining happiness, maybe. Or on the other hand, a person could be having the worst day of their life, and stumble upon the realization that they shouldn’t be down, but should instead make the best of what they are facing which could lead to a happy moment. I don’t think I can say, along with Niah that I have had the comfort of feeling total happiness. Although, I am just all around happy with my life, even when I’m not so happy with it, as weird as that sounds. This is because even in the worst moments of my life I have always realized that it could be so much worse, thus making me content and happy with everything around me. Also, the fact that I have tons of friends and acquaintances, and basically no enemies always makes me pleased. Yet, other than the fact that I love how my life has been and the path in which it is taking, such as high school, I would have to say that my truest form of happiness won’t occur for years to come. Probably until I know, or at least think that I have succeeded and done the most that I can as an individual. And who knows, that day may cease to exist as well, but I will continue to be optimistic about what will hopefully come to me. Synonyms for the word happiness can be the state of contentment, satisfaction, and the feeling of fulfillment in one’s life. The reason for choosing these words is because they all imply the meaning of being, well happy, with one’s life and/or surroundings. There is no want, no anger just pure bliss and satisfaction which is why I believe these words can be considered synonyms to happiness, because this is what they all mean at their most basic connotation. As I said before, I am pretty sure I haven’t experienced what can be considered a true form of happiness, just events that made me “think” I was happy but in reality I may have only been Delighted. Yet, I think that when someone is truly happy they feel great, almost indescribable; but Nancy m’s description seems like it could be on par with the feeling one’s body is overcome with.

Javahn B said...

Its so hard to identify when the last time I was genuinely happy. My life is just a happy cluster. Being genuinely happy, feels almost like your floating on clouds. Everything in your life is floating right along with you. It could erase all the conflicts in your life in just seconds. I remember the first and last time I was trully happy. I moved with my father for the first time in my life in florida. I was going to finnaly get the chance to have a real father figure in my life. I always grew up I was ony seven when my father went to florida to finish college. Growing up as a forlorn child livig with my mother with four children, things wasnt easy, it wasnt horrible, but seeing my father everyday would of been a hundred times better. I could remember taking my first step off the plane. My dad was standing right at the entrence of the gateway, with one of the biggest, brightest smiles you could ever lay your eyes on. I ran directly into his arms. Months went past, living the good life with my father. He taught everything i needed to know to survive in life. He brought the neggetive and positive things to do in my life. A year went pass, and I returned to my original home. But I would never forget the time first and last time i was genuinely happy.

Mia said...

Hmm. Happiness. A very hard thing to come by as the days go on. As things in life become more difficult and more stressful, happiness seems to be a dream that everyone wants to come true. The last time I was actually happy? I really don’t know. There were so many moment s in my life I could describe but then I would be describing all the good times. I think one of the times I was truly happy was when I won Best All around dancer. I was really shocked and surprised. As soon as I received the award I went out and celebrated and I felt happy for a while knowing that I accomplished something I thought I couldn’t. I didn’t care about anything, just the fact that out of a hundred and something dancers, I was chosen above the rest. It just made me feel really happy. Even when I was in cheerleading and my group won first place out of the 50 other groups that were there. I didn’t know how to speak, because after all the hard work, it all paid off. But I was filled with so much emotion that all I could do was smile. I forgot about everything else. I just wanted to live in the moment forever, just relieving it as it was yesterday. But if I could define happiness ,it would just be when you know your at peace and you don’t have to worry about anything, you can just relax and realize that life is good. Or it could be defined as knowing that you accomplished something great, and people recognized it, so your filled with joy. However I’m still young so I don’t think I have experienced “pure” happiness just yet. I think those who are happy, may have gone through something, so they feel that since they overcame there problem they feel relieved and happy that they could do it. Synonyms that equate to happiness for me would be the sun rising, or the sun setting over the horizon on a warm beach, To me that’s basically it, because I think that even though the worst could be happening, there is still chance that the sun will shine through and you would soon be happy. Happiness just feels like what I said before, you feel like you have no weight on your shoulders, you feel like your on top of the world and nothing can bring you down, no matter how hard someone tries.

Bill R said...

Happiness or the quality or state of being delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing is a great thing to possess. Happiness can come from anywhere. From a smile exchanged with a passer-by or an unexpected gift or good fortune. There are different levels of happiness, from something joyful that can turn a bad day around to a great event that could affect the rest of one’s life. In some religions true happiness, otherwise know as enlightenment, can be achieved through countless good deeds preformed over the span of many lifetimes. True happiness, in my eyes, can never truly be reached as long as there is worry, suffering, jealousy, and hatred in the world.
I’m a generally optimistic person so I’d have to say that I’m a fairly happy person all the time. I think what brings out happiness in people is when they are put through a stressful situation and then something lifts their spirits drastically. I remember a month or so ago, I got pulled over and oddly enough this put me in a great mood. I was driving my red Pontiac firebird with a red “failed” inspection sticker in the window. I only had a week or two to fix up my car or I couldn’t drive it anymore. My girlfriend, at the time, and I were on our way to my friends house for a party. I was decently happy at the time; not too many worries on my mind and I was just having fun. As I was flying down the road, paying no attention to my speed, I heard sirens and saw flashing blue and red lights behind me. I started hitting the brake and glanced down at my speedometer to find that I was going seventy miles an hour in a forty-five mile an hour area. Thoughts of worry and anguish filled my mind as I slowed to a stop on the side of the road. The police officer approached the car with a stern look on his face. He went through the normal routine and inspected my license and registration. He asked me about my inspection sticker and I explained to him that I still had a week to go before I had to get it inspected again. The officer nodded in agreement and wished me a safe drive as he headed back to his car. I wave of relief swept over me. He didn’t stop me for speeding but simply for my inspection sticker. The feeling of getting away Scott-free for speeding filled me with a great amount of happiness. The feeling of worry just disappearing, to me, is an igniter of happiness. Although I was happy before I got pulled over, the fact that I got pulled over and got away with out so much as a reprimand made my day that much better.

Anonymous said...

I know the things in which I have fun doing ,and the things which satisfy me, and I think I might almost be on the brink of discovery in knowing what the trigger to my happiness might be. And so from that you may infer that I have never experienced true happiness at least not in the physical but I know my day shall surely come. I agree with your statement that “Having Fun” and /or being “satisfied” with how your life is going are not the same thing as or do not add up to feeling true happiness. True happiness is not simply to smile or to enjoy doing something , but to love whatever it is that brings you to a point of almost ecstasy. It is a joy that can not be contained in which your soul or inner spirit moves almost dances within you in ways you cannot even imagine unless you experience it. It is an almost irrevocable state in which can not be exited until reality sets back in, and it is within that ecstasy that no other thing matters nothing else exists it is as if you are walking on cloud nine figuratively speaking. It’s like ,and I have never done this but it’s the first thing that came to mind, standing at the very top of Mount Everest at the peak of your life were you finally did it, you succeeded in reaching the highest high, and in that instance you are so high words allude you because you just can’t breath ,as if someone had taken your breath in mid- inhale from your very windpipe ,but you’re so amazed by you’re surroundings, you couldn’t even careless. I am blessed in that I have an imagination in which I can explore in, almost get lost in, it is in this great imagination or dream world so to speak I have experienced the above not so much feeling but state of being a billion times. It is for that reason , I can’t even imagine never being able to reach the point in which my spirit has said I can reach. Therefore I will not pass my struggles by the side, I am going to climb the mountains in my life with all confidence in which God has given me that I will make it to the top . My dream word will be unleashed from within the inner most chambers of my physical mind and manifest itself within my physical life. I may reach it all bruised up but I know I am going to make it. Therefore true happiness = joy plus rapture plus bliss plus ecstasy minus reality, and it feels better that breathing that first breath in the springtime.

michaelc said...

When i try to think about the last time I was happy, my mind goes completely blank. I don't really have a certain memory of when i was truly happy. It is pretty broad. To me, happiness is a feeling when you are living in no fear, no negatives and evrything seems so fun and perefect at the time. There are only a few times where i think i felt truly happy.One, was when i was just a kid. With the only fears being bad dreams and monsters in the closet or under the bed. Everything is just so bright and perfect. TV shows weren't all filled with drama and conflict. Music really had no meaning. Politics meant nothing. Playing house or school was actually fun to do. No regrets. Just everything felt so happy? Whatever that truly means. Another time i think i am truly happy is when i am with my family and friends. Wether its just hanging around the house or going out. We simply have fun. Also, my girlfriend is something that i think truly makes me happy. Honestly, when i am with her, the outside world seems to not exist. I couldn't just single out one day with her as my happiest because they are all amazing. Everything is perfect.I'm on cloud 9.

I think a synonym for happy would be satisfaction and being jotful. Its a time where you feel like you're on top of the world and nothing can bring you down. Your self esteem is sky rocketing and there are no worries. Happiness is nowhere near as simple as i always thought it to be. I think i learned alot out of this blog.

Danielle U said...

Although I have no idea where this quote came from, or who wrote it, I think it fits this blog perfectly. “Happiness is a journey, not a destination.” I always hear people saying “If I get this I’ll be so happy,” or something around those lines. Personally, I think happiness is how you live your life everyday. And, it has always been said how “money doesn’t buy happiness.” I also don’t think planning out what might make you happy, makes you happy either. I think happiness all together is how you live your life. You have to make the best out of everything, not worry about how to become happy in the future, and know that material things do not buy true happiness. Well back to the quote, I personally love that specific quote. I think people in general sometimes don’t appreciate what is in front of them. You can’t plan out when you’re going to become happy. For instance, “Once I get my license and car I’ll go out all the time and have so much fun.” Well, what about the time between now and then? Another quote I heard before is, “Life happens while your busy making plans.” If you don’t pay attention to what is in front of you now, what makes you think you’ll appreciate your life later on? You’ll always be looking to the future and not focusing on the good times that you could be having right now. So, like the first quote, happiness all together is living your life how you want to. The first time I read it, it seriously hit me. It made me realize that I can’t sweat the small stuff and to focus how to make me happy right now. Of course you’ll have better times then other, but if you look back and try and remember some good times in your life, you’ll realize they weren’t that great of times and you wasted too much time not appreciating how nice life could be during its journey.
Two synonyms that describe how to be genuinely happy in my life would be gladness and contentment. I chose gladness because it is kind of simple. Being truly happy can be by something simple like spending time with someone who you haven’t seen in forever, or seeing someone for the first time. For instance, the first time I saw my nephew after he was born, I could probably say was the happiest moment in my life. When I held him, I couldn’t stop looking at him and I didn’t want to let go. I mean, you hear about babies being born all the time, but this was different. He was this little helpless new edition to my family and I couldn’t imagine wanting to be anywhere else but with him. I don’t know how to describe how I was feeling, but it was amazing. I couldn’t even imagine him not being here and the happiness I had was astonishing. And seeing him everyday makes me truly happy. So like I said, happiness is a journey. Each and every time I’m with my nephew Tyler, I can say I’m extremely happy. The other synonym I chose was contentment. In order to be happy, I feel as if you have to be content in your life. You have to have fewer worries, and know that you can over-come obstacles to become happier. I use to think I would not ever be truly happy, but I’m glad I now what happiness really is.

Anonymous said...

It’s been a while since I was really truly happy; to be honest I can’t really think of a recent time that I was completely content with my life. Happiness, for me, can never really be defined or just summed up into a couple of words. Granted someone could look in a dictionary and get the politically correct definition of happiness, but true happiness, in my opinion, can’t be found in a dictionary. Everyone finds happiness in their own way; everyone has their own definition of happiness. My definition of happiness is when there is no definition of happiness. It’s when all your troubles and sorrows go away and nothing else matters except for the joy of being alive. I don’t think anyone can really be happy if you always search for what happiness consists of. Happiness comes and goes, people can be satisfied but true happiness is a hard thing to come by. It’s hard for me to sit and think of the last time I was genuinely happy, but I do remember one time when my heart was filled with joy and all my worries seemed to fade away and nothing mattered, I was just living happily in the moment. It was July 6 of last year when I found myself to be on the most beautiful island, Puerto Rico, with the two people that meant the world to me, my mom and my boyfriend. Everything went completely perfect on that trip and I honestly had the time of my life. I had a whole new bond with my mother and boyfriend and Puerto Rico soon became the best escape. One night my boyfriend and I were walking along the beach after just having a wonderful meal and we decided to stop in the plaza across from the hotel we were staying at. As the fountain sprayed behind us flashing colors of gold I sat on the wall next to the beach and stared out into the tropical ocean. Graceful winds blew through out my hair, peace and serenity seemed to spread through out my whole body. I didn’t have a care in the world on that night in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I was truly happy. Content, carefree, bliss, felicity, these are the things I felt as my feet grazed the cold sand in Puerto Rico. That was my happy place, time seemed to just stop and the fact that I could experience such a feeling overwhelmed my body and I was loving every moment of it, being alive was the best thing in the world. I’ve learned in order to be happy you must just be open minded with yourself and others and just surround yourself with positive energy and happiness will come to you. Its hard to become so carefree and at peace with everything but I think happiness, in the end, is what you make of it.

Anonymous said...

The last time I was truly was when I went to visit my family in Texas during the summer. It was the first time I seen my moms side of the family in 4 years. We went down there because my grandma wasn’t doing so well. She has diabetes and smokes to many cigarettes. I went down there for one week. I had fun seeing my cousins, aunts, and uncles. We threw a surprise party for my great grandma who turned 78. I also got the chance to attend the family reunion. I didn’t go to the family reunion since I was really little. It was fun having the whole family around me. I was starting to forget what my family looked like. I had a hard time when my biological father didn’t want to see me, but I got over it when my grandma sat down and talked to me. She could tell that I was really upset and hurt that he said this to me. I felt like he was trying to say that he didn’t want me. She helped me realize that it’s his loss that he missed out on seeing me. I was happy when my grandma got out of surgery with flying colors. I was so nervous that I couldn’t sleep all night. All in all I was happy that she got the surgery done instead of waiting. I can say that this was the first time I was truly happy in a while. Happiness is in the eyes of the beholder. But to me a synonym of happiness is joy, delight, and fun. The reason is because you have to experience all of those to fully experience happiness. Some people say that you don’t have to have fun to be happy. I feel you have to have fun to be happy. You also might feel sorrow because you are going to feel bad when your happiness is gone. I felt that way when my plane left to come back to New Jersey. It feels good when you experience all of the symptoms of feeling happy.

jesskeating. said...

When asked what a person wants most in life, they are likely to say success and happiness. Success is easy to define; wealth, honor, and acheivement, but how easy is it really to define true happiness? Everyone experiences happy memorires on a daily basis, but in the end, happiness really comes down to loving yourself for who you are and being absolutely content with that, no matter what anyone else might think. Once you learn to be happy with yourself and love yourself, you will be able to accept others' happieness and love like no tomorrow. You can not make others happy if you can not make yourself happy. It is as simple as that. It may take others years and years to accomplish this highest potential of happiness with oneself, and others may take so much less time. I honeslty think that those who a searching for it, are the ones that take the longest to find it. It tends to happen when you least expect it, which is exactly what happened to me. My situation where I was at my highest potential of happiness, where I began to love who I really am, is not really out there for others to know about, so I will spare the details on my own behalf. Anyways, I had to go away for a month due to health issues and the whole time I was away, I made no contact with my friends back home or anyone for that fact besides my close family. I was allowed to check my email there, and everyday there was a new notification from myspace saying that this amazing boy, who was also my ex at the time, was leaving me comments every day. We were not allowed on myspace there, so for a whole month I had no idea what he was leaving me or anything. Finally, a few days before I was going to leave, I snuck onto mysapce and read all of the comments he had left me since the day I had left. Each one said how much he missed me, how many days until I came home, and just a little overview of how his days were. After I read all of them, I couldn't do anything but smile and grin ear to ear. He was the only one who has stayed by my side the two years I was struggleing, and to know that he was still there even though I was nearly two hours away from him and have not spoken to him in a month. No one has ever cared about me that much to do that for me; not even my best friend at the time. He made the worst situation I have been in my life, one of the bests. He made me realize that if he has stuck by, loved, and cared for me the same since he has met me, then I must be worth something more than dirt on the bottom of someone's shoe. Because of him, I have learned to love myself for my flaws and all, and most of all, I have learned to accept his love for me and my flaws also. There are not too many people in this world who find people like that, and I am lucky that I have. I do not take my happiness for granted anymore and cherish every moment of it.

John L. said...

Happiness is a complex feeling, actually all feelings are complex. It is impossible to identify what it is that makes a person happy for every person is different and will have different things that make them happy. Most commonly happiness would be described as not having any problems, being at peace with the world and where you are in it. Being blessed with good fortune like money, good looks, and intelligence. Having an all around good life with nothing to complain about, and with the risk of sounding mundane I would have to agree, to a certain extent of course.
The one thing that is missing from the list of great things above is love. As gay as it may sound coming from a guy it’s true. The one thing that all people spend their lives searching for is that one person who they feel they can love and also be loved back by. Life is great and can be filled with great memories but in my point of view life would be so much better if you had someone to share those memories with. The closest I have ever come to being genuinely happy wasn’t too long ago. No matter how short or brief it may have been I feel as though I was genuinely happy. Except because it was so brief I can’t be too sure it was the real thing, after all I am only seventeen. But for now that feeling was the closest I have ever come to being genuinely happy, and I can only hope that one-day that feeling will come back.

Roodly A said...

there is so many ways some one can get happy. in my opinion i think every one has been happy in there life. The word happy reminds me of the word joy,also if could pick one word to describe me i would say i would be happiness. i am a happy person, i can never keep an angy face because iam always smiling even if somthing dumb happened or even if i get into trouble i would smile. i dont know why i do it but i do thats just me. in life iam not afraid in anything but death but when i die i would want to die with a smile on my face or somthing like that. the last time i was truely happy was when i bought a full breed pitbul. i love pitbuls they are the best dogs. i was so happy when i got him. i treated him as if he was my child. i named and ace because he was black and had white spots. i fed him everyday and walked him everday too. i spent most of my time with that dog. i loved him. but a week later that happiness was gone. my dad have gave the dog back because he thought if was too much in the house i felt like crying but than again i still felt happy because i had a chance to be with that dog and still now iam trying to convince my dad to get it. i felt so angry but at the same time i felt happy.

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mel said...

Happiness? What is happiness does anybody truly know? How long can true happiness really last? Can it be a lifetime thing? These are all the questions I ask myself because being happy is often so hard. happiness never last long unless your really lucky, there is always something or someone to come between you being happy. you would have to be certain with your happiness with your self and life to not let anything interrupt it. Its been so long that I have been truly happy. I know that I have felt the feeling of complete happiness or at least thought I did once before but haven’t in so long I guess I kind of forget how good it feels. I felt completely happy when I was with this special person that I let into my heart. In the beginning he did show me what happiness was all about but also showed me complete anger and sadness, witch I didn’t think happiness brought. I didn’t think that someone that can make you so happy make you feel the complete opposite in just a second. I was also completely happy when I was with my cousin, she was like my little sister, but a selfish parent made her move to south carolina. I would like to find complete happiness again but right now it seems nearly impossible. My life is like dominoes once one thing happened everything else came along with it. im trying to be satisfied with life but I don’t even think I am at this point.

stephen m said...

Happiness is a very over exaggerated word. It is used in many different ways. Lots of people think they are happy but are simply enjoying themselves or content with what they are doing. I don’t know if all people think that they know what happy is let alone having been happy in their past. Some people aren’t happy and will never be happy. The last time I was happy was probably around the time I figured out what I wanted to major in when I go to college. I new what I was going to do and I new that I wasn’t going to be a dead beat that does nothing with their lives. I had ambition. No one thought badly of me I didn’t have to worry about anything. I felt as if I wasn’t alone. I had a great family nothing catastrophic had happened in a couple of years and my life was good. I was happy right up till the day that they found out that my grand father had cancer this started my downward spiral. Even though people would say my life is a great life compared to what they have for me this was a very bad event. I had live with my grandparents until I was ten even after we moved I was close enough to ride my bike there. On several occasions I would stop by and have dinner with them. I had an unspoken bond. We were never really close but we did express our feelings. He was in the hospital for about two weeks then he had past. This was the part that really made me unhappy. Any way let me get back on track. Being happy isn’t all about having fun or being content with were you are it is about being satisfied. Not only with what you are doing but with every aspect of your life. It means you are doing something you love or something that makes you feel as if nothing can put you down and nothing is wrong with how you are being happy depends on who you are and what you feel makes you happy. Everyone can be enjoying them selves but not be happy its all about the things you do and how they define you.

Anonymous said...

There are countless times where I have been more than satisfied or butterflies-in-my-tummy-happy or moreorless just content with myself. It is considered a very frequent feeling mixed up between happy fun and pure happiness. Satisfaction or being content is a good feeling though. Like when you get an A on an assignment/subject in school * wink * or when you come home to your favorite dinner on the table that mommy made. There’s also good things such as when the Eagles will one day finally win (haha jkjk excuse me for offending any Eagles fans), but it’s okay though because the Phillies did so now you know there’s hope, or you’re out surfing on the beach to amazing waves, or just have a pleasant day in general. Satisfaction guaranteed, yep. But if I were to describe to you what an AMAZING time that will never be forgotten which I consider to be pure bliss, I would probably be in a lot of trouble for how great yet vulgar my writing could possibly be. Generally speaking, when you are with your love and he can understand you physically, emotionally, spiritually, and sexually… and this is the exact person you know you love, that is pure happiness. A simple overview of what I consider genuine happiness – you wake up to your love next to you and he kisses you good…. morning J that’s already setting the mood. He makes you breakfast at 4:30 in the afternoon and you talk for hours about absolutely nothing, about absolutely everything… from philosophy to sports or music to religion, I call it the, “Crazy Verbal Diarrhea Talks”. That’s what I call it. When your words and his words are never… constipated, I guess. Hahah. So then you go for a drive to the beach and talk some more and more. Buy a pack of uhh… kool-aid and drink it on the beach and watch the sun go down. Talk and kiss, kiss and talk. Eat some sushi. Play some tunes, ride home, and watch a movie. So say that was your typical almost everyday during this summer. I don’t know about you, but I could probably say that I am the luckiest and more genuinely happiest girl known-to-date as of now, that isn’t knocked up or on drugs. And to that, I take extreme pride in.

monet tb said...

No I don’t know what truly makes me happy because every time that I am happy I am having fun or happily satisfied about something. And I think that because it’s the only happiness I know. And if you mean doing something I love dat makes me happy I can’t answer that question either because I don’t have anything that I love like you love teaching. But I believe that close to inner happiness that I can get to is when I am in cosmetology . Because I enjoy learning new hairstyles, hair cutting, hair coloring, doing facial, manicures, pedicure and stuff like that. But I think that that just satisfies me because I think part of the reason the brung me to cosmetology is the fact that I am good at it and it brings me money. I don’t think that my heart and soul is in it but don’t get me wrong I do enjoy doing it. Some synonyms I think would be for happiness is optimistic and cheerful. I chose them two because cheerful people are optimistic people and they show a lot of happiness. True happiness probably feel like a rush of adrenaline the gives you a lot of drive to do what ever your doing