Sunday, January 11, 2009

Welcome to Hogwarts

Did you hold the door open for anyone today? Did you let anyone step in front of you on your way into school, the cafeteria, a classroom? Lend anyone a pencil, pick up a fallen book or paper? For most of you, the answer is probably yes, you did in fact do one or more of those things. All of you are well-mannered, considerate and generally just a nice bunch of kids. So, for today, or the next 4 days as it were, let's take that one step further. This will require a bit of imagination, introspection and innovation, so again, don't sit down to this blog on Wednesday night at 11pm and think you can do a respectable job on it.

Ok, so imagine, one morning, after a kindly old wizard--who bears a striking resemblance to Albus Dumbledore--visits you, you awaken with the power to give one person anything in the entire universe. What would it be and why?
Now, that question, while startling limited in word content, is not as simple or straighforward as it seems.
I am not actually asking you to go ask someone what wish they would like to have granted (which seems like the obvious assumption given that I started off talking about wizards and magic),I am asking you what YOU want to give someone if you had the power to give them anything, and I am asking you to explain that choice. Additionally, because there is always an "additionally," I would also like to know what advice you would give this person after you have bestowed this "gift" upon him or her.
(500 words/75pts)

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, I have done nice things for people today, such as hold the door open or lend out a pencil or pick up someone’s paper but these things are just things that everyone should do. They do not take a lot of thought or energy, just simple acts that come naturally among good-hearted people. Choosing a wish for someone else is much more complicated then simple acts of kindness. That is truly a hard question. There are so many people that mean so much to me, that I can think of hundreds of gifts that I would grant for each of them. I could easily grant my dad the gift to never have to work again or my grandpop the gift of seeing the Eagles in the super bowl. But when given a question like this, it needs to be well thought out. There is so much more that can go into this. And it is troubling me to think sure I can grant a gift to one person, but what about the people that are equally important to me? Sitting here, thinking and thinking and thinking ... and still thinking. Thinking I will never come to an answer that I will fully agree with. I have come to only one conclusion that I feel like covers everything I would want to give to everyone I would want to give it to. So let me step into my imagination and visualize that one morning, a kindly old wizard happened to visit me and give me the power to give one person anything in the entire universe, as self centered as this sounds, I would grant the wish to myself. How self-centered, selfish, and self-absorbed, right? Not the way that I see it. Let me explain. The gift I would grant to myself was to have the power to spread happiness among everyone in the world. According to dictionary.com, the definition of this gift that I would have is to grant good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy. This means curing the sick, feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, and sometimes just turning a frown upside down into a smile. Happiness among me and the people I know, and even don’t know is extremely important to me. There would be no war, no racism, no conflict, and no problems among anyone if everyone in the world was happy. The advice that I would give to people is to spread the happiness, and never end it. Life for people in generations from now would be completely different if the people of the world did not have to worry about war, illness, terrorism, genocide, or even crime in their own community. I would grant it to myself because I know that I would spread it among people. A gift in the wrong hands could be easily wasted. I know I would use it for good because of trust in myself. There would be no cold blooded serial killers or heartless rapists or merciless thefts. Happiness would solve all problems and make human kind as a whole a beautiful thing. I feel like that would be the best gift that I could grant.

Anonymous said...

Hrm. This is really a tough one. At first, I didn't see your topic being relevant to your question this time which was brand new to me and seemed really strange to me too but I'm starting to understand it now. But of course, IF I could ever have that power, it would not be a simple choice to just grant just anything something special to someone. Just one power blessed and appointed to another, that’s just not enough. It’s not a “here you go.” kind of power such as flying, or time, or immortality, or courage, or strength. I wouldn’t want to give it to just one person either because I think many people deserve the power to feel one of those powers like those. If I only had a choice to choose just one thing I’d be able to give only one person anything in the entire universe, it would definitely be to bestow eternal happiness upon a person just like Deanna says. Except, there’s so many types of happiness and it’s always been a goal in life since the beginning of time and has always been earned and not given. Not only that, but would the person appreciate it? Would that person use their happiness for good? What is good anyway to the person? What is their intention? Are they willing to share? Or will they just brag how happy they are and unintentionally make others feel like crap that they haven’t quite reached that nirvana? Which comes to the next best thing I would give a person; appreciation. I would give that lucky person appreciation because it just seems like nowadays, people are not appreciating enough, or anything for that matter. They take for grant it the things that are handed to them on a regular instead of earning that little shot of happiness. Such as those kind of snobby, rich people who believe that they must be handed a smile instead of doing something themselves to make them smile. SO if I just ended up giving away happiness, would that person be thankful that they are the only person in the world who got that happiness or would they just feel like they don’t have the reason to work for it anymore? Then what’s the meaning of life to a person then? Appreciating is to understand and be thankful for all that they have and once a person gets that, I’m sure that no matter what happens in life – good or bad, that is the kind of power that will give back more to them that just plainly give away a form of happiness.

Jared B. said...

Well.. There’s always the obvious route. In truth the choices are limitless; as stated in the question itself. However, things only become harder to decide with such freedom. It’d be hard enough to simply decide what you’d want to give to yourself; the boundless options and variables of the receiver make approaching a good conclusion nearly impossible. The question is almost a bit irritating; labeling opinions for yourself is much easier than picking out what another would want; as well as considering what would be good for them [ In other words, this question is annoying Mrs. Bunje! :C ]
So what do you wish for a person? Good Health? Money? Fame? Whatever their heart desires? Though not portrayed as such, I find the human heart to be slightly selfish. Considering such, actually asking the recipient of said gifts what they want becomes impossible. What one would ask for isn’t necessarily what he truly needs; it would merely be what he wanted at that particular moment. Few people actually consider the future when making a decision, the human resolve to rush through things precedes all rash choices. Money doesn’t buy happiness and fame isn’t all its cracked up to be. It may be what he or she wants now, but further investigation would reveal true hungers for alternate material later on.
Perhaps a good gift would simple be clarification; a true understanding on life and the world around them, as well as themselves. At some time or another, we all come to that point in life where we ask “What was it all for?” What is the meaning of life? How do I live it to the fullest or did I live a good life? Wouldn’t having these answers open other doors? When presenting such a gift, I could only suggest spreading the knowledge around for the sake of those around you.
However, in documented suggestion, a question rises. Is there an answer to clarify?

Another suggestion would be a painless life. Our fears stop us from achieving so many goals and dreams, riding someone of them could provide nearly endless possibilities. This recipient would obtain the gift of life in a sense; an unstoppable journey only limited by the extension of the imagination. Pain is the inhibitor of all adventure, and by this I don’t just mean physical pain. Our fears of failure and disappoint provide just as much stalling for our quest as the pain that can emerge; if not, than more so. When giving away a pain-free life, I would merely say this. “Live your life to the fullest. Let no one stop you from achieving your wildest dreams. You and you alone, are the guide to your own destiny. Take hold of it and soar.”
Boundless options, these are merely a few suggestions I came up with while pondering the situation. In truth, they aren’t even things I would truly want for myself either, though I would appreciate them as well. For now my desires lie elsewhere; mine are just as hard to guess as the next person in the end. Is there a right answer to this question? What is a perfect gift to give someone? I shrug; pondering the following and checking over my work once more. Confused yet? I know I am.

Nancy M said...

Wow…..I have to say this is the hardest blog that we’ve had to date. Of course if someone is walking by and dropped a book I’d pick it up, or hold the door open for someone but these acts of “kindness” to me aren’t really acts of kindness. We do simple things like that because we are taught as kids to be well mannered and helpful. These examples aren’t kind because we are not giving up anything to help that person pick up their book or hold open that door. To me an act of kindness is when you have the choice to do something for yourself but instead you make a sacrifice to help someone else. So on to the question if a wizard gave me the power to grant someone one wish, I would grant my Uncle the wish of being normal. What I mean by this is my Uncle is border-line schizophrenic. He is 45 years old but has the mentality of a child. He reads comic books, colors with crayons, etc. and has never really done anything a normal 45 year old man should. He has medication he lives off of day by day because without it the voices he hears and the “people” he says he sees are too intense for him. He lives at home with my grandpa and my aunt and needs constant care from everyone in the family. I feel so bad for him because its not his fault he’s been this way his whole life and if it were up to me no one in the world would have to go through the pain of being mentally challenged. He tells me all the time he wishes he wasn’t “retarded”. He’s my uncle and even though sometimes I forget he is my uncle because of the way he acts I love him and I would give him the wish to be normal like us in a heart beat. Yea of course I could use the wish on myself but I wouldn’t change anyone’s life If I used it on my self. People like my uncle don’t deserve to have to go through the daily struggles of being mentally ill to the point where he cant cook for himself because the voices will tell him to burn the house down, or where he stands in front of the mirror having a conversation with someone that’s not there. I would love to see him married with kids, a job, being able to drive a car, something that he’s always wanted to do. We all take little things like getting up in the morning and being able to make breakfast, or driving to the mall to hang out with friends for granted when there are innocent people like my uncle who can’t. After I have given my uncle this gift I would tell him to finally go and be free and live his life the way he wanted to and do all the things he wasn’t able to. I would tell him to explore the world and step out of the four walls of the house he is always a prisoner to. But most importantly I would tell him to find happiness in the new life he has been given.

melissa gu said...

If I had the power to give any one person one wish… hum …well out of all people I know I think that one person would be my mother. I know that sounds corny, but my mom has had some stressful times and she deals with a lot crap from a lot people. Therefore I would take some of the crap that she deals with off her shoulders. And the best thing I could give her is a new job. Something that she would enjoy and she would be passionate to keep working at. That something would be a Catering services. I would give my mom a catering service because she loves to cook and that’s what she does in her old job, but this job will have less people that give her a hard time and she can make her own schedule so it’s flexible enough in case her family needs her or if she needs a vacation. To start a catering business you need money, so I would throw in enough money to get the business started and still have enough for the first year’s bills and expenses. With every wish there has to be rules, so my mom’s rule will be that she has to go back to college or some kind of school that teaches you all you need to know to run a business successfully. Also she has to work with it for about five years and after that if she wants to quit then she can and she cannot be a work- a-holic. In other words, my mom has to come home and actually spend time with her family. If she does become a work-aholic then everything gets taken away and she has to go back to her old job. If there is a chance that the business fails then my mom can start from the beginning or just go on with her life. But if she does pick the second chance she has to figure out what went wrong before she starts the business. One last thing she cannot have a friend as her business partner because that always ends up in ruins and an easy way to lose your best friends. Although my mom can have her friends work for her that not a problem. If this really could happen my mom would actually have the chance to take a breather and enjoy her life instead of always worrying about people trying to get her fired or anything like that. With her working from the ground up she can have a sense of completing a project and say she successfully did that she loved.

Javahn B said...

knowlege is the most powerful thing a human could have to survive and make it somewhere in the U.S. But there's also the kowlege of religion. If know nothing about anytype of religion, how would you know how to live your life? I believe the real question is, what would be the meaning of your life.
So with that in mind, if I had the power to give one person anything, I would give him/her the knowlege of christianity. Im a christian, and my beliefs are, if you dont live your life the way god recamends it in the bible you'll go to hell. You must worship the heavenly father and believe that jesus died for our sins, and always ask for forgivnes.
There could be nothing worst than spending all eternity in hell, with pure torture. I know that i am not living my life the way i should be, and not having the full kowlege of christianity. But there could nothing more beautiful, than to see another person get thier life together, find God and make it to heaven.
After I have gave him/her this glorious gift, I would advise them to never give up faith. Life is not depended on hope it depends on faith. Once you loose faith, you loose life. Im not saying that you'll die, im saying that your heart would be in the wrong place and you would basically give your soul to satan. Thats what satan is here for, to lead us to make bad decisions, such as not believing in god and living our life in a negative way. Once that has taken place, the only place you could go is to hell. Im just grateful to have someone in my life to give me the knowlege of christianity.....my mother, thats my gift.

Sam S said...

Of course I would hold the door for someone or pick up a pen or paper if it was dropped. That is just having a little bit of courtesy to do something for someone who needs help. Every day I find myself doing at least one or two nice things. When I read this blog, I tried to think of the first thing I would want anyone to have. So much comes to mind when you have such a great amount of choices. I sat at my computer making a list of all those fast options that came to mind. Of course I would love to give people money, knowledge, and a house or car. All of that can be earned. Maybe that is not so easy to earn, but it can be done. I wouldn’t know this person that would be granted this, but if I could grant one wish to someone it would be peace within their life. I would love to find the person out there who is about to commit suicide because of their life and fix that. I hate seeing people in pain. Everyone has their days when they say “my life sucks” or “I give up”. That’s not the person I want to find; it has to be the person who can barely make a day without crying or a day without 1000 rumors ruining their life. I know a few people who have come close to this and all I could do was wish that I could fix it. That is pretty much the only reason I would grant that wish. I hate seeing a person in pain. As a girl with AP classes on the math and science half, that give me pain called stress, which sucks. I can’t imagine the person who is stressed with a bad home life and crappy friends. That is the person I want to find and bestow my one wish from the wizard giving them peace. No more rumors, an amazing set of friends, and when that happens with the peace the knowledge will come easier than thinking with a bad life on the side. After I scoped out the person and gave them the gift of peace or a great life, there is only a few things I would have to tell that person. Definitely, I would let them know that life is only what you make it and as long as that person does not fight my magic away they have a gifted great life. That person I share the magic with should relay the message of what a relaxed and peaceful life feels like and what it entails. In order to stay out of drama, a person must keep their mouth shut and getting rid of drama from the wish will show them how stupid drama and rumors are. Hopefully, that person will stop talking about someone and tell the person who is still talking that there is no point to rumors. Basically out of the gift of peace, I would want the person to learn that anyone can make their life that great if they pretty much re invent their ways of life and are determined to live and achieve their goals without a doubt or a high stress level.

Mia said...

After reviewing the blog question over and over, it seems that the question is quite difficult and it took me a while to find a good answer. i began to think about the people in my life that i loved and the ones that have brought nothing but good memories. First i thought, if i know someone that has done nothing but good to me than why not return the favor. The one person i came up with that i would grant them one wish was my mother. My mother gave my life and raised me to be the young lady i am today and i believe she deserves more than the world. Currently she's been experiencing masses amount of pain in both her knees and after her various surgeries. its sad to say none of them have done its correct job.The first time she got surgery they put in the wrong size knee replacement, the second time they had to replace it with a newer version, following that the material they had inserted in to her knee had caused her a mass infection. The doctors said that if she wouldn't have gotten there in time she would've lost her leg due to how close the infection had almost gotten to her bone. SO she had to get a cement spacer, which meant she could not bend her leg for 3 months because she had no knee. After hose hard three months of antibiotics and being homebound, her doctor sent her off to get another surgery. The surgery lasted about 6 to 7 hours and she had been in recovery for 3 hours. This time the doctor was sure that she would be able to walk again. But he was wrong. So my one wish i would grant would be to give my mother the ability to walk, run, jump, dance, and any other movement done with the legs. And with granting her that ability it would remove all the pain she has ever experienced with her knees so she could enjoy her new knees with out any restrictions .I think that gift to her would mean more than the world because its been almost 8 years since the last time she was able to go for a walk without having to use crouches, a Cain, or even a wheel chair. Giving her this gift will make her world perfect.But a piece of advice? i don't know what i would tell her as advice about the gift i would be giving.her. I would just tell her to cherish the gift for as long as she has it, just in case for some odd bizarre reason it gets taken away.

ash tharp said...

if you are a kind hearted person you would even realize after a while the simple helping things you done for another. like how you said opening, helping a person, yea i do those example all the time but i wouldn't think that its being that helpful but it could be.
if i was given this power i wouldn't take it as a joke or rush right through it. everyone mostly believe that you should give a person happiness but i rather give someone hope. Hope is strong and persuasive. mainly every person who has made a mark in this world had hope to make thing come true. so if i had the power to give someone who is down and doesn't think they can overcome this wouldn't be smart to help them out by giving them the courage to hope. if they had hope then they could have the power to make magic on their own. all thye need to do is listen to their hope and push throught it. if you have hope in yourself or in your inventions then one day it has to come true because you wouldn't stop believeing in yourself.
to me hope is the stepping stone to happiness and i rather give hope then just make it a breeze just because maybe the person you choose doesn't deserve it but they would learn that they do deserve it one their own. usually the people that deserve another chance that you are tring to help has lost their hope so i would love to give it back to them. if i was in their situation i would like to have hope given to me because i am a person that has morals and i just don't like to be given everything i like to work for them. i know there are other people who are like me so they would exspecailly like my gift to offer. mrs. bunje i want to know would you like to learn thing on your own with a little guidance or just be given it? don't you think people need to deserve thing before given so that why i choose to give hope. Hope is wise and knowledgeable so take it in and use it wisely, don't be stupid and try to take what you don't deserve so believe in your hope and you will deserve it.

Nicole L said...

Since i was about 8 there has been one person that has never let me down, no matter what. My dad has made a huge impact on my life, but so has another person, maybe even more. MY MOTHER. Even though she is not my blood mother i consider her to be. Growing up as a young child i had no mother cause she chose a stupid path in life, which left he family in pieces, but my new mother put all those pieces back together little by little. No matter if it was buying me christmas presents, or throwing me a birthday party, or just watching a movie with me this woman has made my life 7 shades brighter and i can say that with my whole heart. For a while my dad played the father and mother figure in my life, paiting my nails even if more paint was on my skin then the nail, braiding my hair even if my hair looked better before he attempted doing it, or dressing me even if i didn't match. My new mother slowly fixed all those little errors my dad made and became a hero in my life. My new mother came into a brand new relationship knowing about how my mother had abandoned us and all of the chaos they might come in the future, but she never gave up on my dad, brother, and I. I just want her to know that even though i do not always show it i do appreciate every single thing she has done for me, and this brings me to my decision, If a wizard came to my door allowing me to have the power to give one person anything in the whole universe i would give my mother complete control to make her life, and everyone in it happy. My mother is always putting others before herself; her shoes could have holes in them and she would buy me or my brother brand new shoes first. My parents struggled for a while, and still do time to time with money, but who doesn't. They have wanted to fix our house up and sell it for a life time now they just don't have the time. I know after a full day of school the last thing i want to do is clean, so why would my parents want to work at home when they are working all day. It might sound as if i want to give the gift of happiness to both of my parents, but no just my mother. Sounds rude huh? The reason is because even if i just gave the happiness to my mother she would totally share it with everyone else in my family. She would take care of my father, brother, and I as she has done for about 10 years. I'm not saying my mom isn't happy now but i know giving her total happiness would mean we would have a new house, she wouldn't constantly be working, she wouldn't always be exhausted or stressed, well i mean those things are normal, but my deserves more then she is getting out of life and that is for sure. The only thing i would tell my mother to do with the happiness is what she wants with it. My mother is such a intelligent loving person i know for a fact she would make the perfect choice, and she would not only make herself happy but everyone else she loves happy also. But i would tell her for once not to give everyone else what they wanted, but to focus on what she wanted. Of course, i would want the whole world to be happy and for the poor to have food and money, but my mother is the most important thing to me, and she is who i would give the gift of complete happiness to. Afterall, you only live once so your life should not be wasted being stressed or miserable. Life is about finding happiness and if giving a gift was the answer to my oms happiness i would give her a gift over myself anyday.

Anonymous said...

It’s funny how the little things we do for others, and others do for us, often times are unnoticed. I didn’t notice it, myself, until this blog. Today, and I guess everyday, I held a few doors open and lent out a few pencils.

There are many people in my life that I would do anything for; even go as far as take a bullet. I just like to say that if an Albus Dumbledore look alike came knocking at my door, I honestly think I would run and call the police. But, since this is just a blog, I think I can let him in. Being able to give someone anything in the entire universe is not only the most generous power, but the hardest to use. There are so many people in this world that could use that gift. To choose just one person out of so many is extremely difficult. There people living in poverty, with sicknesses, dying of old age, and so much more. It’s kind of sad to know that there are so many people in need, and not that many people wanting to help them. After days of thinking, I finally know what gift I would give.

I have this very close friend, her name is…well, let’s just call her Bo. Bo is a great friend, daughter, sister, and student. She is very mature for her age and is always open to new things. I would have to say that she, out of all my friends, is the most adventurous. Recently, her mother past away. Within a week of her mother’s heartbreaking death, Bo and I had made her a scrapbook of their family and her children growing up. Her mother put this scrapbook in a place where it would be safe, for it meant so much to her. When gathering pictures for the viewing, Bo searched for this scrapbook but couldn’t find it. Where ever her mother put it, it was secret and safe. Although this may seem sad, when Bo does find it, whether it by chance or luck, it will mean so much more.

Through these tough times, we’ve grown closer, and now I’m even friends wither brother and father. Bo and her family have been very strong for the past few years. Bo’s mother was an amazing woman also. She was diagnosed with Cancer a few years back, and has been fighting it ever since. I believe that the love she had for her family, and the love they had for her, kept her strong for as long as it did. She passed peacefully in her sleep, and I will never forget the text I received about three hours later. It was another one of my friends filling me in on what had happened and asked for my help with how to deal with this tragedy. Later that night, a BUNCH of Bo’s friends went to her house to comfort her and her family. Bo was handling herself extremely well, and I was really proud of her.

If I could give anyone any gift no matter its extreme extent, I would give Bo and her family back their mother. They deserve the happiness of rejoice in living with her again. The advice I would give her with this gift would be “Don’t take anything for granted, because you now know from experience that nothing is promised tomorrow.”

Anonymous said...

If I could give one person a gift it would be my good friend Rickie. I knew that he was the person who I would want to give a gift to because he’s not the best off and he’s a real good friend to me. He’s giving me his time for my Mr. Oakcrest talent and for that I thank him. When I was first thinking of what I would give him I thought of the money for college as a good gift but then I was thinking that he could always use a loan to pay for college and I really wanted to give him something that you can’t get any way. If I could grant one wish I wish that my friend Rickie’s parents would have stayed together. Rickie is the only boy in his entire family. He has his mom, crazy aunt, and four sisters. I’m not saying this because I want his parents no to be divorced because that way he wouldn’t be the only boy in his family. Also I’m not saying that his life is bad because it’s not at all. I love every member of his family. I wish though that he could have had a father figure in order to teach him certain things like how to use power tools, and other things that my dad have taught me. The reason this comes to my mind is because whenever he comes over my house and we’re working with my dad he says that he likes to learn all these kinds of things. I’m not sure that he would want this to be done for himself but that is something that you would have to ask him. I think that at sometimes he would like to have his dad but at other times I’m sure he can hate him for what he’s done. With both of his parents together than his family could have more money to spend on necessities.
If this were to go through that I would tell him not to let this opportunity pass him by. Try to gain as much experience as he can from his dad. What I’ve learned is that the more you learn from your dad falling on their face then the less falling you have to do yourself. This comes very much in handy when you are in need assistance. Also though I would warn him of the power of a father’s influence. Not only can a dad influence his son but he can also influence the people around his son to do certain things to keep his boy out of trouble which is good but you don’t want your dad to control everything that you do with your life like the fact that I really want a tattoo but I won’t be able to get one for a while cause of my dad.

JordanK said...

If I could give one person any wish that I wanted to give to them it would be the gift of love as in a friend. It doesn’t have to be boyfriend and girlfriend love or even motherly love. The kind of love that you know that if you were in any certain type of danger at all there will always be one person that will no matter what be there by your side. The type of love that you can trust your life with someone. Some people don’t ever get to experience this type of love and I believe that everyone should have someone. Cindy Lou Woo gave this gift to the Grinch for Christmas and he didn’t want anything more in life. If I could do this for someone whether I be the friend being given to them or me setting them up with a friend it would complete me. Another example is that it’s the type of love that the tiger gave to Pi in the Novel. Richard Parker looked after Pi no matter the situation even if the whole thing wasn’t real or it was in Pi’s mind. The tiger watched over Pi countless times, Pi could count on Richard Parker even though he was an animal.

If I was to give information to this person whom I gave friendship love to I would tell them one thing and one thing only. ‘Never let it go, you never realize what you have until it’s gone.’ If this person whom I give the gift of love to is lonely at first than all of a sudden gets the best feeling in the world they might believe that it will always stay there with them forever. No, I would tell this person that you have to treat this loving person with the respect and love that they deserve back. If you don’t give them the love back and treat them the way they do to you, you won’t have that feeling anymore. I believe that the feeling of being loved is better than anything in this world because if you have friends who love you; you should have no worries or cares in the world. They will always be there to back up your decisions. Than I would say listen to me because I’m a wizard and you’ll never see me again. The best ones are always lost.

Kirsten A said...

Of course I have done a simple thing such as open a door for someone or lend a friend a dollar or something along those lines. It does not take much to think about doing simple things such as those for people. It almost comes as second nature to hold the door open for the person behind you as your walking through a door or at least it does for me.


Now when it comes to what giving anyone in the entire world any gift that I wish to that takes a little bit more thought. While at first glance it seems so simple I am sure it went through each of our minds to just simply give someone money to help them out. But, when you are given such an opportunity you really need to put some thought into such a task. After I had thought of it for a second or two one person stood out in my mind. That one person would have to be my grandmother. She is such a kind and wonderful person. She is the one person in my life who I could go to and tells her whatever I needed to get off of my chest no matter what it was and she would just listen and not judge me or say anything negative to me. You may be thinking why can you not do that with your mother I can but it’s not like my Grammy. We have a special bond I was her first little baby granddaughter. For as long as I can remember I have always told my Grammy everything that is going on or has happened in my life. She is the strongest woman that I know. Our family may not be the greatest but she is most definitely the backbone of it. If we didn’t have her I think we would all fall to pieces.


The gift I would give her would have to be a stress free and happy life. She lives under a great amount of stress. She has to support her household on her own. My grandfather has been suffering from Alzheimer’s for several years now and as it progresses her life gets more stressful. She constantly has to have an eye on him because you never know what he is going to do or when. He ounce drove in his truck and dint tell anyone and got lost and had to pull off to the side of the rode and our entire family was driving around for hours trying to find him. That is just one small thing in her life. She deals with many greater things and still works through all of this. It would be a great joy to me to see her live a stress free and peaceful life. I would have to tell her to take advantage of the gift she was given and to take sometime to think about herself and not always everyone around even as much as we all love her she needs to love herself more because she deserves it.

Kirsten A said...

Of course I have done a simple thing such as open a door for someone or lend a friend a dollar or something along those lines. It does not take much to think about doing simple things such as those for people. It almost comes as second nature to hold the door open for the person behind you as your walking through a door or at least it does for me.


Now when it comes to what giving anyone in the entire world any gift that I wish to that takes a little bit more thought. While at first glance it seems so simple I am sure it went through each of our minds to just simply give someone money to help them out. But, when you are given such an opportunity you really need to put some thought into such a task. After I had thought of it for a second or two one person stood out in my mind. That one person would have to be my grandmother. She is such a kind and wonderful person. She is the one person in my life who I could go to and tells her whatever I needed to get off of my chest no matter what it was and she would just listen and not judge me or say anything negative to me. You may be thinking why can you not do that with your mother I can but it’s not like my Grammy. We have a special bond I was her first little baby granddaughter. For as long as I can remember I have always told my Grammy everything that is going on or has happened in my life. She is the strongest woman that I know. Our family may not be the greatest but she is most definitely the backbone of it. If we didn’t have her I think we would all fall to pieces.


The gift I would give her would have to be a stress free and happy life. She lives under a great amount of stress. She has to support her household on her own. My grandfather has been suffering from Alzheimer’s for several years now and as it progresses her life gets more stressful. She constantly has to have an eye on him because you never know what he is going to do or when. He ounce drove in his truck and dint tell anyone and got lost and had to pull off to the side of the rode and our entire family was driving around for hours trying to find him. That is just one small thing in her life. She deals with many greater things and still works through all of this. It would be a great joy to me to see her live a stress free and peaceful life. I would have to tell her to take advantage of the gift she was given and to take sometime to think about herself and not always everyone around even as much as we all love her she needs to love herself more because she deserves it.

Kirsten A said...

Of course I have done a simple thing such as open a door for someone or lend a friend a dollar or something along those lines. It does not take much to think about doing simple things such as those for people. It almost comes as second nature to hold the door open for the person behind you as your walking through a door or at least it does for me.


Now when it comes to what giving anyone in the entire world any gift that I wish to that takes a little bit more thought. While at first glance it seems so simple I am sure it went through each of our minds to just simply give someone money to help them out. But, when you are given such an opportunity you really need to put some thought into such a task. After I had thought of it for a second or two one person stood out in my mind. That one person would have to be my grandmother. She is such a kind and wonderful person. She is the one person in my life who I could go to and tells her whatever I needed to get off of my chest no matter what it was and she would just listen and not judge me or say anything negative to me. You may be thinking why can you not do that with your mother I can but it’s not like my Grammy. We have a special bond I was her first little baby granddaughter. For as long as I can remember I have always told my Grammy everything that is going on or has happened in my life. She is the strongest woman that I know. Our family may not be the greatest but she is most definitely the backbone of it. If we didn’t have her I think we would all fall to pieces.


The gift I would give her would have to be a stress free and happy life. She lives under a great amount of stress. She has to support her household on her own. My grandfather has been suffering from Alzheimer’s for several years now and as it progresses her life gets more stressful. She constantly has to have an eye on him because you never know what he is going to do or when. He ounce drove in his truck and dint tell anyone and got lost and had to pull off to the side of the rode and our entire family was driving around for hours trying to find him. That is just one small thing in her life. She deals with many greater things and still works through all of this. It would be a great joy to me to see her live a stress free and peaceful life. I would have to tell her to take advantage of the gift she was given and to take sometime to think about herself and not always everyone around even as much as we all love her she needs to love herself more because she deserves it.

1BrianL said...

There are a lot of material things I would give to people, but that stuff doesn’t matter really. I would give a gift that truly means something and will impact a person’s life forever. More specifically I would give something to my brother, who next year will be an in-coming freshman at Oak crest. It's really hard to put what I want in one word. I know I came into high school and did not take it very serious at all; in fact it was kind of a joke. Such a joke that class was as simple as doing your homework every night, which I failed to. So the first thing in the package which I will make one word to my bro is the ability to do homework at anytime, and never forget. Another thing I laughed at was studying, why do I need to study if I do all my homework? Well I didn't do my homework, and even if I had, there is always room to study. So if I did study for say a midterm, maybe I would have passed it, or all of them. So gift number 2 to Dylan would be the gift of study. Now why would I want to give him these 2 things? Because from experience I did not do very well in high school which makes it all the harder to get into college, which kind of reflects on the rest of my life. So if I gave my brother Dylan the chance to do well in high school, then he will turn out to be a much better student than I and he will go very far in his career. I would call the 2 gifts I give him a smart life package. That way it doesn't seem like its 2 gifts, but just one. If I could squeeze another thing in there it would be to make street hockey a high school sport because he loves it, and is very good. So If I could give him that I would, that way there would be scholarship opportunities as well as being known well around the school for playing a sport so well. That is something I would like, to be amazing at baseball somehow and carry my team well into playoff spots. I know that feels good to be good at something you love, so to give him Street hockey through high school sports would be the greatest things ever. That way he has the ability to do very well in school, and shine and be popular, which to be is what makes up a happy person. I want him to be able to do well and not have to stress over colleges, I want colleges to be looking for him and be all around him, and if he does his homework and studies, of course that is what it takes to be "smart". I know that if I tried from day one my class rank could easily be in the top ten, all you have to do is apply yourself. In fact I think I’m going to call my gift that. I will give my brother the gift to apply himself to his best potential. He will succeed, and he will have his whole life set in front of him. No worries. Perfect gift.

Anonymous said...

To start off, I always try to do and be nice to people every single day. I say that it is a good way to start off your morning. I find myself always lending people things like notes, pencils, etc; and holding doors open for people. Doing small kinds of acts make me feel better on the inside and out. I think it would be pretty awesome if I had the power to give one person anything in the entire universe. The person that I would give my special gift to would have to be Brolin. He is a 14yr old kid who came from Honduras knowing no english whatsoever. He's been in New Jersey for about 3 yrs now and has had to struggle a lot. The gift that I would give to him would be that his family would be safe. What I mean by that is that he would no longer have to watch his family try to struggle. They would have more than enough money to last them; health insurance, comfortable car, and everything else that goes along with that. Brolin really deserves this because he is a really nice boy who really in my eyes, can't do anything wrong. He is always polite; always trying to help any way he can. His family deserves this. With me granting this one thing for him would mean the world. The advice that I would give to Brolin would be to enjoy life; you no longer have to worry; everything is taken care of. I would also tell him to stay humble and to not be greedy because nothing good comes out of greed. The last piece of advice that I would leave Brolin is knowledge/good book keeping skills on how to manage money; i.e. stocks(when they are up and good). This way him and his family would always have a steady income coming in ontop of the money that they already have. This is the ultimate gift for sure.

S.Ryan L said...

Alright just to start seeing Dumbledore at my door step or just appear out of no where would scare me half to death. That said, there are roughly 6,706,993,152 people in the whole world. How do I narrow the choice to choose one person to give anything in the entire universe? This takes thought because we all know a handful of people that could use a break. It’s a rough world out there plus with the current economic situation, some people have been put in a place they never thought they would ever visit. Then there are some that the recession is not the cause but rather poor choices resulted in a less than spectacular life. .The one person that keeps coming to mind that I would like to help is my best friend’s dad. He was a young rocker that never grew up and of course that is entirely his fault. You get vibes from certain people and you get an idea of what kind of person they are. When I talk to Mr. Jones I don’t think about his drug problems or being an ex convict. I see a really intelligent person. Someone that sees life in a different light but just took the wrong path. Even at the age of 42 he still has a hard time keeping a home and trying to be the father to an 18 year old son. For this person I wouldn’t want him to re do his whole entire life but have a push in the right direction. The average male lives to be around 72.2 years ol, which means Mr. Jones still has 30 years to live a real life. I know this isn’t an ideal wish to some people but in a way I feel like this would be giving life to a person that hasn’t lived. A life of success and knowing you are capable of anything that you put your mind to. I know for a fact if Mr. Jones saw this he would most likely want to kill me. This is no doubt in my mind he would argue that he lived a great life. Hearing the stories about him getting shot or his other life experiences I wouldn’t argue with him that he didn’t live. But realizing that he settled for less and never took the necessary steps in his life, he never lived to his full potential. This gift would be the push to putting his life on the right track but also the gift of wisdom. There’s no advice to give Mr. Jones. He would know that in the end that this would be the key to saving his life. This would be the key to making his life which is less then ordinary, to an extraordinary life. I don’t really want to sit in judgment as to gage the happiness or success of his life but I know when I talk to him and hear his thoughts he was destine for more for himself, and he had more to offer this world then he ever choose to.

BlakeR said...

Everyone always holds a door open or picks up a paper that fell from the desk just because its human nature to help out, and you would want them to do the same for you. If I could give anyone in this world anything it would be advice about life to my little brother. I know I am not an expert on life and i have not lived on my own or anything but he is a little sophmore and he has a big mouth on him. I know i might have been the same way when i was his age, but i had my older brothers straighten me out so i feel i have to keep it going. Even though he is my little brother he is nothing like me, he is very disrespectful and has a very big mouth. He always thinks he is right no matter who he is arguing with, and we all know that is not how life works. I know out of all the things i could have said this one seems pretty weak, but i feel that family is very important to me and that i need to keep my family in good terms with the way other people look at us. Like teachers around school, he makes a mistake and it comes back to me, and the whole family. That is one thing that does not make me happy and i would like to see fixed. It has happened many times where the both of us get compared to our older brothers from older teachers and they think we are going to be the same as they were, nice and respectful. I would like to keep that way for a while so other of my family members do not have a hard time walking the halls of Oakcrest. I would tell him to listen to what i have to say, even though i know it would be very difficult because i just got into an argument with him about something. But i will try my hardest to cram it in there. He is a small kid not like i am where i can defend my self. If he says the wrong thing to the wrong person i am scared to see what will happen to him. I have protected him as much as i could through out high school with some juniors thinking that they can pick on him just because he is a sophmore, but he is not just a sophmore he is my little brother.But as many people know its my senior year and there will not be a big brother to protect him anymore. Even with his girl friend he gets into trouble and things mess up. He used to be in a new relationship every other day, and now he finally settled down with this nice girl that he is very into and i can tell. And he is very lazy with school work and chores around the house that my parents always hassle him about. He would need that extra bump from me before i go to college so he can get on track and not let go. And of course since he is my little brother he plays football, obviously different positions, but that does not matter when it comes down to dedacation which he has some what. He really needs help in that area because of his size and he work ethic. I am always going to make him work to his best abilities and farther than that. I know this is not what most people would be giving to anyone, but i feel like the future is more important than the past, and that is what he is.

Anonymous said...

Me myself I think I am a nice, respectful person. I do all of the above as well as holding doors open for people, except on my bad days.

If I were granted to give one person anything they or I desire to give. Since it is only one thing, the answer would be easy. Through personal experience I ask myself for this one thing a lot. The one thing I would give is probably the best answer to this difficult question. I would give this one person the power of wisdom. With wisdom this person can reach and achieve new levels in life. Not only that, but this person will be able be a big impact on the people around him. He has the ability to help others out greatly. How do I know this? Well I am a church going person. I am not a "Hard Core Christian," but I do know some of what I am talking about when it comes to religion. In the bible it says the one thing you should ask for everyday is wisdom. My Pastor says this to me every time he wants to have a talk, "Ask for wisdom." He says everyday we should ask for wisdom, especially males. It is almost like the closest thing we can get to being perfect. Think about it, if you had wisdom you would not be doing the stupid things you find yourself doing always. Common mistakes with huge consequences will be a thing in the past. You can greatly benefit from the gift of knowledge. The gift of knowledge can solve just about any problem you have. In the past, the greatest leaders had wisdom, and they because of that they made a great impact on the world. For example, Martin Luther King was one of the greatest civil rights leaders who was a success due to wisdom. He led a movement on a non violent philosophy with great wisdom. Despite his death he was successful. Also Mohandas Handy who was also successful in his moving with wisdom and his peaceful philosophy.

After I have given this person the power of wisdom , I would give them great advice so they would use their powers for good. Basically I would tell that person the same thing I just got finished writing. I will tell that person the age old super hero quote, "With great power comes great responsibility." I would tell this person that what they now have can make a huge difference in life. They have to choose how they want to use this ability. This person will need to know the history of wisdom. That it is something every searches for, even the people in the bible. To have wisdom is a great gift. One can do a lot with wisdom. I will tell this person that I trust they will use this power to the best of its ability. The reason is because they have wisdom. With wisdom I am sure that they do not need me to teach them how to use it. If anything they would be teaching how to better my life.

Danielle U said...

Well, I have no idea who Albus Dumbledore is, but if he came to my house and granted me the gift to give anything, to anyone, I would want to give a gift to my Nanny. Although I do love my mom more than anything, and I want to give her a gift also, I just feel that my Nanny’s life is coming to an much sooner than my mom’s, and I just would want to give her something I know would mean a lot to her before its too late.
The one person that I know that gives everyone so much, when they have so little would be my nanny. She makes sure that she helps anyone out in our family whenever she is asked, and NEVER wants anything in return. But of course, we always return favors. But anyway, my nanny married young and moved to the U.S. from France, and left behind her whole family. I know this was very hard of her. Her brother did move here with his wife and kids shortly after, but she left behind her father, step mother, and step sister. Her real mother died when she was 8. When she came here, she had 2 boys, and 2 girls. Her role was a stay at home mom, doing anything and everything for her kids and home. So, even before I knew her she put others first. Then, her dad died. It was kind of unexpected, and she did go back to see him before he died, but I know it was hard on her. My grandpa didn’t let her go back to France very often, so the last farewell was tough. Then her step mom, and step sister died after. Then, my freshman year, her younger brother died. I know it’s the way of life, but it just seems that everyone died at the wrong time. I wish my nanny never went through any pain, but she did and I feel so bad for her. Well, when my mom grew up, she ended up having four kids also. My three older brothers, and then me. She basically moved in with us when I was growing up. She did EVERYTHING for me. She was always there while my parents worked, never missed a birthday, did my hair, picked out my clothes. I really do mean did everything. She is honestly my role model and an incredible person. So, if I could give her one gift it would be to go back to France one more time. She has mentioned a few times how she would love to go back just one more time, but doesn’t think she will before she dies. It makes me so upset that she talks like that, so I really just want to give her the gift to go back, and show me everything she’s always talked about in the stories she told me throughout the years. I know she would want to show me where her house was before it was blown up from the war, where she and her brother hid from the Nazi’s on a farm, and the graveyard where her mom and dad lay. I always hope she’s never going to have to leave us, but she’s 81 and I’m just so scared. So, I would love to just spend the time with her, go to France, do whatever she wanted to do, and just let her remember what a great life she has. I know this gift would really mean a lot to her, and I wish I could honestly give it to her, but I’m flat broke. So, with this power from Albus Dumbledore, I would gladly gift the gift to go back to France to my favorite person ever, my Nanny.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I am a very kind, and respectful young man when I want to be. I do nice things on a daily bases. For instance, today I gave money to people knowing they aren’t going to pay me back. Some call that dumb, but I call that nice. I also held the door for people. I also found an Ipod and turned it in to the office. Most students at Oakcrest would have kept it. They would have put music on it tonight and would be listening to it tomorrow on the bus. If I could give any thin to anyone. I would have to give it to my mother. She does a lot for little appreciation. She has to jobs. Her to jobs are a social worker and a mother. She doesn’t get paid for the 2nd job. She does a lot behind closed doors. If I could give her one thing I would give her happiness. She has money so I cant say wealth. You can tell when she is unhappy. She just walks in the house and goes straight to her room. I would give her happiness because I hate seeing her upset or even worse crying. Everyone deserves to be happy no matter who you are. Happiness to me doesn’t mean having a good husband or wife. Happiness to me means being happy about the type of person you are. Being able to look at your self in the mirror and love what you are looking at. My advice to my mother would be always be happy. Don’t let any person or thing define who you are or who you want to be. That’s why most people are unhappy. They let small thing like friends or boyfriends or girlfriends define who they are. I would tell my mom that. She might be mad but now but she will understand what I mean later on in life.

Katherine B said...

In my opinion acts of kindness don’t include just simply picking up a pencil or opening a door for someone else, because we cant look back on that later in the day and say that we were really selfless or that we did something great. Because we do simple things like that everyday probably more then we realize, and after time it becomes a routine, or for some people a device to gain others respect. To me something selfless would be volunteering at a shelter or simply spending time listening to a veteran recall his/her past, in my opinion those are some of the many things that you can both learn and gain a feeling of selflessness from.


It took me days to decide what I would give someone if I had the power/chance but I finally came to the conclusion that I would give my grandfather a second chance at life. At first this realization scared me because I never thought I would ever want to give him anything besides a hug. But I guess through out my life I watched him suffer, and I listened to my mom talk about him, about how horrible he was at being a father, about how he was selfish and about how he didn’t care about anyone but himself. I think I am one of the only people who saw him for who he really was. He was a man lost in his own mistakes, he didn’t know what to do or where to go, so he drank, and continued ruining his life. Then he was diagnosed with cancer and my mom let him live with us for about 9 months, after which we didn’t speak to him much, unless he was on his death bed. This for him was about every two years. And to my surprise this year he actually died and it got me thinking about what he did and why he did it. I realized he made many mistakes and he was confused on how to fix them, and I realized that if someone had taken the time to help him he would have been okay, so I would like to give him a second chance at life. But I would tell him to make sure that he got help when he was confused and that he cared for the people around him.

Paul H said...

the question of having the power to give someone anything and what would it be is a very hard question to ask. there are so many things i could give to someone it is hard to pick just one. but if i had to pick just one it would be to give someone the ability to truly enjoy life. sure that sounds stupid but it is the one thing i would give to someone. people go through life everyday and let every little thing get to them. whether it is almost missing the bus or not being able to find the shirt you wanted to wear, people let that ruin their day. once they let the beginning of their day get to them it can only get progressively worse from there. someone bumps them in the hall, a friend isn't there, or someone says something that hurt your feelings a little, whatever it may be it all adds up. this keeps going on until you just never have a good day and go through life either sad or mad but never seem to find happiness. people never seem to enjoy life and it is such a beautiful thing. you only get one and it is what you make of it. only you can decide how you want your life to be. people may influence your decisions but you make the final ones. the ability to truly enjoy life would make a world of difference for someone. being able to sit back and just say i had a good day and i am sure tomorrow will be the same is all you really need in life. this ability will also allow your friends and family to enjoy spending time with you and not have to worry that you will always damper the fun with your moodiness and lack of enthusiasm for anything and everything. being able to enjoy life is the only way to get through life. going by everyday focused on what pissed you off or what sucked about that day will just cut your life short. not that it will kill you but when you are old and wrinkly you are just going to look back and say wow my life sucked. that is a horrible way to go out. anyone on their deathbed would like to look back at all the good times and just be able to say i had a great life and now its my time to go. i feel everyone should have the ability to enjoy life and many people do but not everyone. that being said i would change my power to grant someone the power to give everyone, including themselves, the ability to enjoy life to the fullest. this would make the world a much better place and could even bring peace and happiness to everyone. if no one snaps one day there will be no murders. there will be no hate groups. there will be no wars. everything will be in complete harmony and we could focus more time on enjoying life than destroying it.

Vincent Q said...

When first reading this blog the first thing the came to my mind was I would wish to give myself a brand new Ferrari. After seeing that I was being selfish I began to think about it I came to a conclusion that I would wish that my sister would get her life on track. My older sister Jen a 19 and is not on the right track to becoming an adult. After graduating from Oakrest is 2007 my sister began taking classes at ACCC in the fall while working at Target but she wasn’t getting anything out of the classes at ACCC so she dropped out. After a couple months she decided to go back to school but into a medical program through ACCC. She wanted to be a Medical Assiant just like my mom and we were all proud of her. Her school was in Atlantic City and would be 4 days a week. There she would wear the classic medical scrubs and she was learning all the trades of the medicl field. She would bring home test after test and all would have A+’s on them. My parents were never prouder. Everything was going good for her until she has to get needles. My sister has always been afraid for needles and didn’t think she would need to get them with her job. In the class they would practice giving needles on a dummy and she has no problem with that. But then when the teachers told them they has to give needles to each other she wasn’t happy. She was very scared about this so she told the teacher she wasn’t going to get any needles. The teacher told her that she shouldn’t have signed up for the class if she was afraid of needles. Being as suborned as she is she just sat back while other girls in the class were giving needles to each other. My parents never knew any of this while it was happening for all they knew she was getting more A’s on tests. After a couple weeks of her no getting any neddles the teacher told her she failed out of the class. Because of her never getting any needles the teacher wasn’t giving her good grades and she fell under. My parents were devastated and were very disappointed in her. That was in July and since then she has been just working at Target and going out partying with her friends.. Sometimes I feel that she thinks shes still a kid because she just parties and does what she wants. She needs to start thinking of her future and go back to school. I love my sister very much and wish she would get her life on track that’s why if I had the power to give one person anything, it would be to get my sister to do something to get her life started.

John L. said...

If I had the power to give any one person anything at all what would it be? Dam bunj good question….. Well I would like to say, if this were possible and I did have the power to do this, that I would simply give someone the power to give someone else a power because I don’t feel like thinking about something so puzzling. BUT since I know bunje would not approve of this as an answer I would have to say I would give someone the ability to be happy.

When I say the ability to be happy I don’t really just mean to be happy, but really genuinely happy throughout their life. The reason that I would grant someone the ability of being eternally happy is because I feel as though that is what everybody strives for on a daily basis, whether it be for long term, short term, or even if the person doesn’t realize it. People, throughout their day, set out to accomplish or complete certain things. For example just about everybody between the ages of 6 and 18 get up in the early hours of the A.M to go to school. Since we all have done this for so long it has become somewhat of a habit and we all lose sight of why we do this nearly everyday. The reason we get up and go to school is so we can gain knowledge that will help us be successful in life and ultimately be happy. The way I see it, everything we do in our lives is in fact different ways we pursue happiness or different ways we attempt to attain that feeling of happiness. So to sum it all up I believe that the main goal in life is to be happy and if I had the ability to give anything to any person, it would be the ability to fulfill that goal and to be genuinely happy every day that they exist on this earth.

Roodly A said...

this is a really hard blog, it has me thinking alot. it makes me think about how life is and how people can be respectful or not. i think that most people were raised with manners and some werent. every body is different, but i know that evry body have a good side in there heart, i dont think no one in this world is pure evil, God wouldnt make anybody like that. every day in my life i do something good whether its has to do with some one skipping me ina line, or holding a door for someone, it dont matter i do it everyday because i like helping others. when help someone it makes me feel good inside for some reason.

if i wake up one morning and i had the power to give someone, it would be well mannered and be respectful in life. if everyone had this power our world would be a peaceful place, we wouldnt have had a world war, or any type of racism, or any type of evil, we would live a great, happy, peaceful life. everyone would be helping others, there wouldnt be an arguing, or fighting. our world would only have respectful, loving, and caring people. everyone would be happy, we would all accomplish our goals better, things would be more fun, just imagine a world with no evil just pure good, and when i think of that i think about heaven, and i think thats what God wants, he want us to cherish our life with love, joy, and respect. our world would be just like heaven if everyone had this power. now iam thinking about changing the power i want to give someone, i want to give this person the power to be able to teach everyone how to have kindness, love, pace, respect, joy, etc, in there heart. this is what we need and after everyone have those traits in them this world would be heaven. God would be proud, we will all be proud and happy

kelso said...

If I had the power to grant someone anything in the world of my choice, i would give them the gift of love..sounds cheezy huh?
When I first read this blog i knew immediately what I would give someone with out any second thoughts.I believe love is the most imporant and valuable thing someone could ever have. Who doesnt want at least one person in the world that loves them,do anything for them, takes care of them, make them feel as they're the most important person in the world, and acknowledges them?
Giving and showing love to another gives them a sense of comfort, like they are the most special person in the world. Also, showing and giving love to someone prevents them from ever being alone or fearful of anything. Think about it, imagine if you felt as if no one in the world loved you, you could start to fear being alone, or that you will never find anyone that loves you.
When you feel loved you become a stronger person. You feel as if you are on the top of the world and no one can stop you from anything you want to do. When you are loved by someone you won't judge yourself as much because you won't be trying to impress peole to make them love you.
I choose love to give as a gift to someone because I believe it's hard to find love if you look in all the wrong places and because it can hurt and impact one's heart if they feel as if they are not loved. Take it from personal experience and it may sound as if i might be out of my mind but, love is the most imporant thing to me. Ever since my father remarried, my mother left me 10 years ago, and all my siblings moved out, i haven't fel loved up until a couple of months ago when i started dating my boyfriend. Before dating my boyfriend I felt there was absolutely no one out there who loved me, everyone in my family neglected me, and friends weren't an option because I never really had any, to be honest. I would spend everyday minding my own business, go to my room and dwell in there all day, or be trapped in a place i thought i was loved but really wasnt, i wont go in depth about that though. However now that I am dating my special someone i feel loved all the time, i have been blessed with this sense of comfort, anyhting could go wrong in my life but as long as i have the one who lovesme right ny my side I couldn't be any happier. The one thing i have been searching for I finally found and now I dont care what happens, i'll just let my instincts and life lead the way...

marcus m said...

When I am given the chance I attempt to be a nice guy most of the time. I held the door open a few times today because if I do not do if for my mother she will not walk through the door. There was a girl in my spanish class today who's teddy bear fell today and I picked it up for her. If I was somehow allowed to give any person in the world one gift it would have to without a doubt be the gift of extreme happiness for the entire rest of their life. I believe that it is the best possible gift that anyone can ever be given.As humans we are constantly searching for what makes us happy from the clothes that we wear to the group of friends that we are around. If you think about it not a single person in this world is happy all the time, because something or another is bound to happen from small things like failing a quiz to much larger things like getting in to Harvard. But imagine if everyday was stress free and filled with positive events. It only makes sense to give someone the one thing that every person in this world wants. After I had given this rare gift this person would be given three small pieces of advice. The first would be to cherish every single moment of their life. Then they would be told to use their given gift and try to spread some happiness to any person or set of people that they can even if it is just a little. I could be small things like letting some one sit with you at your lunch table or something larger like introducing them to someone that they have always liked. The last piece of advice would be to never ever take this gift of happiness for granted because it is so extremely hard to come by.

Pete D. said...

Geeez, Talk about ridiculously hard questions. Since I don’t truly know at heart what I would want to give someone, I guess I’ll have to go with what I think I would do in this situation, whether it be true or totally wrong I will still try my best to be insightful as to what I would give. As cliché as it may sound, I would probably give someone the ability of total awareness and understanding because this way they would not be able to be deceived by others. What better gift can be given than to know why we truly exist and what our purpose really is, if there is one at all? It would be great to know and not have to guess or make up explanations that cannot be argued with concrete facts. I believe that one of the greatest bestowments would in fact be complete understanding in everything. Being able to break through the limit of conceptualization and being able to grasp every theory, idea, and concept is something that would be beautiful. Considering that no one even really knows the concept of understanding, as to whether it is an abstract thing, or a brain pattern, or simply a rule. Along with this gift you would be able to understand what it means to understand, as awkward as that sounds thus leading to clarification. This clarity of everything will eliminate all clutter from your mind allowing you to always think with a clear head, meaning you will never make rash decisions due to tense or emotional times. Along with this increased sense of understanding a heightened ability of awareness is accompanied with it. Now this awareness would allow them to assess any situation, be totally self-aware, and completely self-consciously aware. Now since awareness alone doesn’t imply that people understand what is going on, but are merely conscious of their surroundings. So if this were conjoined with the power to understand, then this gift could be extremely useful in someone’s life.
In a way the gift of understanding is also a gift of wisdom and knowledge. You would have enlightened intelligence, and a superior power of discernment to help you throughout life. You would only make the best choices, and maybe, just maybe, you could bypass the problem that all humans face of all their choices having some kind of negative consequence. Also, you would be in a perfect state of mutually tolerant relations between people. No one would have anything against you, and you could be liked by all which could be very beneficial especially career wise. And one of the best things you would possess is power. Not power as in physical strength, but instead intellectual power which is something that no person would be able to take away from you. Your mind would be in harmony, and stress may even be extinguished from your life. Now what sounds better than that? Except of course having the ability to possess magical powers… I think that this gift is something that would be one of the best things to receive, because who knows, it may even lead to true happiness.

Mel said...

Holding the door open for someone or picking up a pencil are common, and should come naturally to most people. this is a really hard question to answer with a limited amount of time before the bell =)but if i had the power to give someone anything, it would probally be the gift of true love. i would give this because i honestly believe it is one of the hardest things to find, by looking at how most marriages end and how many broken hearted people i hear about each day. i would want to give someone true love because with love comes happiness and someone to share your happiness and everything with. i think that is a really important thing to find. the advice that i would want to give this person is to enjoy life and appeicate what most people dont have.i would want them to live the best life with that person and family and friends and not to take anything for granted.

Anonymous said...

Despite our love/hate relationship I think I would bless my mother with my one gift. She may not be my most favorite person in the world but she does deserve to be happy. For that reason I would give my mother the gift of being able to read other individuals perfectly; to be able to tell what’s fake and what isn’t. Since I was little my mother always had a slight boyfriend issue and I don’t know if it’s just her or if she really just attracts jerks, but she has absolutely no luck when it comes to men. Personally I don’t think it takes a man to make a woman happy, but my mother has suffered for years trying to find love and happiness with scumbag men that walk all over her. It’s hard to be able to read a person and see through the lies when you’re blinded by love and false information. Unfortunately my mother has been blinded by love so many times that I’ve lost count, but what I haven’t lost count of is the innumerable times that I’ve seen her cry because her heart had been stomped on by Gods wonderful creation. Like I said before, I myself don’t think that you need a man to be satisfied but for some finding their soul mate means more than anything else in the world. Aside from just wanting finding her soul mate my mom hates to be alone and I think the idea of being alone when I leave for the Air National Guard is what makes her want to find her other half so badly. I don’t think it’s bad that my mom is in constant search for love, but I’m sick of watching her get hurt. With the ability to read a person and actually see who they truly are when you first meet them, rather then years later when their true colors come out, is absolutely amazing. You could weed out all the fake dishonest people from the true compassionate ones. It might not be a billion dollars or something materialistic that my mom might have better use for but it’s a gift that in my opinion will set her free. With this gift I believe my mother would truly be able to be happy, and she’d be able to do it with the one she loves. In the end seeing my mom happy would really be her gift to me and my only advice to her would be to just embrace the gift of finally seeing and knowing.

Hey Ms, Bunje I don’t know if you’re going to accept this blog late but I’m sorry I got confused and thought the blogs were due on Friday.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Ms Bunje that I’m turning this in late. I don’t know if you’re going to accept this but I’m going to do it anyway.

Wow! One power to one person. That’s a pretty hard decision. Honestly, I don’t know who I would give this special power to. I must have sat in my chair for about 30 minutes trying to figure out who I would give my special power to. As I kept thinking, I realized that I wouldn’t give it to any of my aunts or uncles, despite that they have done so much for me. But I just feel that since they take advantage of what they have now, how would I know if I gave them my powers they wouldn’t take advantage of that. I feel that they would abuse the power and they wouldn’t use it for something good. Don’t get me wrong I love my aunts and uncles; I just think that someone else who would appreciate it should get the powers. In my opinion, for people who have everything in life shouldn’t receive that special power. I look at my life and think about how much stuff that I take for granted. Instead of my mopping, I should be thankful for everything that I have because there are other people in this world who don’t have anything at all. Who have to live their life day by day wondering if they’re going to be alive the next day.
I definitely know that I wouldn’t give the special power to my sister just because she is too high maintenance! All she ever things about is money. And money isn’t the answer for anything because one day you have money and the next day it’s all gone. It annoys me so much how she’s always complaining that what she has isn’t good enough. I try to explain to her that she should b grateful for what my dad can buy her and that she shouldn’t complain because she has everything that she needs. I love my sister to death, its just that one little part of her that I want to change about her, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to do that because that’s just the way she is. My grandma on the other hand is just like my sister. She wants everything that expensive. She thinks that she is going to have money forever and my dad always says to her that when she dies, she’s not going to take everything she has with her. But she just doesn’t get it.

So there’s only one person left. And that is my father. My father has been through so much in his life that I have no idea how he has dealt with it. Although my father and I could rip each others hair out, we still want to the best for each other. My father unfortunately lost my mother 6 years ago, and when she died me made a promise to my sister and me that he would never have another woman in his life. Now that I think about it, I want him to have someone to love and care for. I don’t want him to live alone. I just want to see him happy because he deserves it. That’s why I would give him the special power of finding someone who will care for him, love him, and be faithful to him for the rest of his life. I mean we all know how hard it’s to find the “right” person. And I just wouldn’t want him to find someone and then have her break his heart because he honestly doesn’t deserve that. I would advice him to not take this power for granted. And to always look out from all the people that he would meet.

jesskeating. said...

Ms Bunje, I too apologize for posting this blog in late. I got confused with last weeks due date with this weeks due date. I know you do not accept late work, but I figured showing effort for being sorry that I forgot would be better than not even doing it at all.


It is hard to think up only one thing that we can give to only one person, but I suppose that is why that is the blog question. It would be easy to give one thing to many people such as peace or happiness, but that’s not the question and because it would be easy means then it wouldn’t be a Bunje question. At first when I read this blog, the only thing that ran through my mind was “are you serious? This is ridiculous.” But then I read the whole thing again and I realized this would probably be the easiest blog question so far. If I could grant one person, any one thing my little heart desires, I would have my mom love herself for who she is instead of who she wants to be. My mom has never been happy with herself, ever, when she has every right to be. She’s in her 40’s but she looks in her early 30’s, a job where she gets the same days off that I have off from school, two smart children, a nice home, a providing husband, and the list could go on. Still, even after all of that, she still downs upon herself. She is always looking for something better and something different to put into her life to somehow make it seem meaningful and worth it. For example, she’s now paying for a diet because she thinks she is overweight when she looks amazing for her age. I just would like her to see herself how everyone else views her; beautiful, young, loveable, creative, and full of so much potential. After I bestow this gift upon my mom, I would warn her that she should not become overly obsessed with how good she looks and how good her life really is. That would be probably just as bad as not being happy with how she looks or with her life. If a person becomes obsessed with how they are, they tend to become cocky, full of it, and for a girl, sometimes even slutty. Those three things are not characteristics that I would want my mom to have. I would also tell her not to take things for granted just because she is happy with everything in her life going how she wants it. Some people tend to find new opportunities but take them for granted without even realizing it, like a new boyfriend or girlfriend. Everyone deserves to be happy with who they are and make the best out of their lives no matter how bad or corrupt themselves or their lives may be. There is always a better side to look towards with everything, and that is what I would like my mom to see; the brighter side.