Sunday, January 4, 2009

Resolution Revolution

Happy New Year, senior babies!!!! Welcome to 2009--your graduating year!


Manage your time, wisely--you will need more than 15 minutes to respond to this blog.


The first few days of the year usually find people starting diets, going to the gym more, trying to be nicer to boyfriends', girlfriends', parents; in short, resolving to do better, to BE better. But usually, it only lasts about a day..if that. I am not sure why. I mean, why not do any of that stuff on any other day, month etc? So, the first questions are...why do YOU think people make New Year's Resolutions? Are you one of the ones who do? Do you ever follow through with them?
And that brings me to the second set of questions for this week. You have 5 months and 2 weeks left of high school (Scary, huh?). What I would like you to do is make one--just ONE--resolution for your remaining time here. I want you to think about that question I tell you to think about all the time---Who(not WHAT) do you want to be? Beyond job titles, academic achievements, athletic accomplishments--WHO do you want to be inside? And how to you think you need to get there? Whatever it is, you will need to resolve to do things in order to do so, so you may as well start now. (450-500 words/70pts)

45 comments:

Mel said...

resolutions are made to make people feel better about themselves. most resolutions are made about something that you dont like about yourself and want to change. we are always thinking about ourselves. every other year i attempted to make a resoltion, but it always falls through for some reason or another. this year i didnt make a resolution because there is no point, if i want to do something or change something about myself, or anything i dont have to make one to do it. i will if i want to not just because i decided to make a resolution. exactally the reason why most people only follow through for the first couple days because they really dont want to, just feel like they should or have to. knowing that i have 5 months and a few days to decide who and what i want to be is scary, because honestly i have no idea. i know a few things that i like learning but dont know what career is best for me. i dont know what im good at or what im going to like for the rest of my life. everything that im doing now and choosing i kno will somehow bring me closer to who i want to be, but right now im not really sure. All i know is that i want to feel good about everything that i do and the decisions i make. who i want to be is a really hard answer, when you dont understand who you are in the moment. right now i dont know how im getting there all i kno is that im going to get there.

Anonymous said...

Damn, more than fifteen minutes. This is going to be a tough one. (just kidding bunje, you know you enjoy watching us suffer as we use our brains). Alright here we go with opinions and whatnot again. Resolutions. Cute. They are indeed very nice and all to hear but to me are just simply pretty much an excuse for procrastination, without literally saying, "this is my excuse for being lazy and not doing it now so i'll do it when the new year rolls around." for example, people just choose to wait long enough to be fat and then decide to go to the gym instead of learning to decide and choose to balance their diet out in the first place. or when kids dont do their homework and they say, "okay after winter break i'll get my priorities straightened out and actually START paying attention in class and raise my F to an A that it should be." getting a 3.0 if they're lucky by the end of the year while they knew they had the potential to get a 3.8 if only they started paying attention in class during first semester as well as the second. no, i am not one of those people who make a resolution only because i know myself, i know how i am and who i am and i am the kind of person who would forget about a thought i had 364 days ago which is why i usually choose to do things right away when i think of it... usually. but still growing up and living and learning from my life experiences and whatnot, being miss huynh phuong who is still somewhat of a simple tangled mess. hence, if i could make one resolution which i have been attempting to resolve in the past 18 years of my life, it would be to find that perfect balance within myself. make others happy as well as making myself happy and all that stuff and a little beyond. being able to really smile as i also put a smile on someone else's face, even if it is just one other person, it'd be worth waking up that morning since i hate having that feeling of nausea in my tummy when i ask myself "crap. why did i not just sleep in today? what a shitty day man." i hate that. why ? because i hate sleep. i want that balance in my life where i just dont hate anymore, at least not as much about dreadful emotions you just have on 'one of those days'. meh, it all really does lead to just one thing inside me no matter what i do is to find that pure and true inner-happiness. i'm getting there, but as of now i know i'm not 100% there yet. but hey, there's still time hopefully for me to keep going and doing what i'm doing and fulfill this lifelonging resolution of mine :)

Anonymous said...

The first thing you learn in an AA meeting is actually a life lesson. That is that ‘first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one.’ This saying perfectly describes a New Years resolution. Every resolution is made with change. If you want to change, you have some sort of a problem. Making it your New Years resolution is a way of admitting that problem without embarrassment. There can’t be embarrassment when everyone is making one, hence, everyone admitting they have a problem. Funny, but true.
Resolutions are made January first as a start of a new year. Most people believe that it’s easier to start over, when the year does because there are less years in ones life than, let’s say, months. The year is long and gives motivation to attempt to last the whole twelve months.
I’m not one to make New Years resolutions. I’m the kind of person who tries to be better every day, rather than making it for the year. I quickly learn from mistakes I, and others, make. I find it easier correcting problems when they happen, rather then waiting for the New Year. So I don’t have a New Year’s resolution.
Five months and two weeks…ahh, scary! I’m afraid of growing up. I’m only 18 and I already wish I were younger.
If I were to make a resolution of which I will become, I would hope that, if I’m not that person yet, I will be the one who everyone wants to be deep inside. I’m not talking about the prettiest, or the most successful, but the happiest. I hope that I will be as content as possible, no matter the situation. I hope to remain the kind of person that believes the glass is half full, not half empty. I hope I won’t take things for granted and will always remain optimistic.
My New Years resolution is to be happy. Happiness is hard to come by. I hope to have the strength to find the light in any situation thrown at me. But most of all, with happiness, I hope to be strong. I believe that strength is what keeps the body going. To get there I think I need to win the lottery, just kidding, although that wouldn’t hurt. To become strong I have to believe I am. I must believe that I am all I can be as long as I never give up. I wish I could put all negative events aside and live my life the way I want, without so many distractions. But with life you never know what you’re going to get. Some say, these distractions are the experiences that will make me the person I am. I hope that person is strong and happy.

ash tharp said...

yeah the talks begins between people when january 1st comes, all you hear is i want to lose this amount of weight, i wont eat any junk food,or i will not start fight with anyone i love etc. to me i think its bull i don't believe in resolutions, if you want to make a change in your charcter then you dont need a specific day to persuade you to do it. it has to be you and yourself to be able to set your mind to it and get it done and suck it up. if you dont have the will power to get it any other day then you usually don't succeed on your resolutions don't stay faithful.
i was never one of those people who thought about making resloutions. i know i am bullheaded and if i don't want to change i won't succeed, i have to be ready to do it when my mind is set on the goal.i usually can push myself to finish anything that i wanted to started, actually i hate things that i start and can't finish it pisses me off.
i won't lie to you bunje i am scared i can't believe that my "childhood" is finally going to be over. its all up to me soon ewww. five months huh.
ok think inside again i know what i want to be in life but what do i truely want to be like on the inside.i doubt myself and put myslf down most of the time i cant trust my judgements sometimes. i feel like i am always wrong or i am going to fail. i wish could grow the cofidenceto let myself know that im not a problem and i am possible to get thing done by myself and trust it all the way through.i am not positive how to make me grow cofidence, yeah i already have support and love, good grades, and will power but i still don't have cofidence. can you help me bunje. i can be a pain in the ass and doubt myslef but if i had some guideline to follow maybe i can see through my eyes what everyone else sees.if i can see myself change in that positive way in this year i wouldn't know how to thank you bunje.
keep up with the brain teasers.lol

JordanK said...

I believe that people make New Years Resolutions for a couple reasons; the main one is to make them feel better about themselves. If you’ve gained weight in the year, your new year’s resolution will be to lose that weight. You tell your self this over and over for the next month and tell your self ill go to the gym this day, ill run that day; but will never do it. You telling your self that your going to do something makes you feel better even if you don’t lose the weight and/or follow through with your New Years resolution. I personally do not have nor make New Years resolutions for two different reasons. One is that I don’t have anything about me that I NEED to change at that very moment or that I see. That sounds arrogant but that’s just how I feel. And number two is if I don’t have a New Years Resolution, I can’t let my self down. I bet if you asked people anywhere in December if they followed through with there New Years Resolution, BARLEY any of them could honestly say “yes.”
If I had to make one--just ONE -- resolution for my time left here at the Oak for who I want to be, I would love to be a better person. Sometimes the best of us make the worst decisions and the outcomes are even worse. Even if its walking around the hallways and people look at me and say oh its Jordan Klaszky, I want it to be OH ITS JORDAN KLASZKY=).. The past shouldn’t effect the present and for me to get people to understand that I think that I just need to continue working hard and staying on track. Also friends being there not only for me but for all of us to be together to be better people. There is always room for improvement in a persons attitude, no matter the setting.

Katherine B said...

Ahhh, New Years...In my opinion New Years is some what of a joke in todays society. Now a days it is all about parties, resolutions, new technology, and getting drunk. Personally I think that people make resolutions in an attempt to better themselves, when really they are just lying to themselves. A rare amount of people ever follow their resolutions, so I think that any other day would be just as effective as New years, if you are truly making the resolution to better yourself. I don't make resolutions on New Years specifically, I have a book that I keep all year round, and I write things in it that I need to do, want to do, or have to do. I feel that I follow through with most things I write in this book, recently not so much because I havent had any time to myself. But soon all that will change.

WHO do I want to be?
That is a very good question, it is something I have spent hours thinking about. I want to be a honest, selfless, caring, acomplished person. Someone that you can depend on to help you with anything. I want to be a person who doesnt complain, someone who can handle things others cant, I mostly just need to be at peace with myselef to become this person I speak of.

Jared B. said...

A new beginning! Hopes skyrocket on the eve of the New Year and millions vow to do better than ever before. They swear to lose the weight, they promise to work harder, and they pray to get stronger. Those entering the next January seek promising futures. They see the shifting as a chance to start over; a time to recover from past mistakes and start over. However, this is merely a custom, nothing more.
Why so? In truth, a person can strive to be better and set goals at any point in life. There is nothing prohibiting a seeker from reaching new heights. Why is it that we all choose to challenge ourselves at the end? I feel it is merely a tradition and that now no one truly knows the answer. What explanation could there be other than that? Perhaps it is an excuse, or maybe even a push in the right direction for those once fearful of a past goal. In the end, the view is left into the eye of the beholder. The true essence of this “New Beginning” is nothing more than a spectacle created to encourage the lazy.
Maybe I just lack the spirit of New Years, but I honestly have never seen the big deal. Just like the Christmas cheer; the hype eventually fades, just as the white curtains of powder which used to cover the streets in winter. It leaves me wondering why we bother in the first place. The revolutions that inspire are no different, and just as the holiday, lose their zing after about a week, if that much. In the end, it’s just another day; I’ll never understand it. In this, my opinion has remained unchanged even before my entry into Oakcrest High.
“What’s the big deal? We do this every year..”

However, the true point of this holiday does raise questions. This “fresh start” into something new—it leads one to ponder where they are heading. What will the next twelve months hold? Though we try to step into it positively, there is no true method of prediction. All we can do is hope and strive to become that person we always wanted to be. The weak pray to grow strong and the fowl wish to become beautiful. Me? I yearn to be a bit louder in crowds and around people I don’t know. Jealousy surges through a quiet mind quite often; even in class the hand will never raise even when an answer is known. Perhaps my revolution here and in life in general should be to try and stand out a bit more. With work, maybe I could receive a label other than the quiet and lazy student in the corner.
These are just thoughts though, until the drive to press on is found, no new start will ensure such a goal. Only hard work and determination will allow the shy to shine. This is my goal; perhaps actually writing such will serve as the first step to achieving success.

kyle w said...

I think that people make New Year resolutions to try and make the next year better than the last year. They set goals for themselves that they think will make them a better person. Most of the time people give up on their goals after a month or two. I use to make new years resolutions every year, but over the past two or three years I stopped making resolutions. I would always make a huge resolution and I would never accomplish it. I still set goals for myself to achieve, but I set little goals for myself to make it easier to accomplish them. I also don't wait until the end of the year to start them. If I want to achieve a goal I start as soon as I can.
Normally, if asked to make a resolution for the end of the year I would say to get straight A's, but if I had to make a real resolution it would be to not hold myself back. I say this because there is nothing in my mind that I cant accomplish, but the thing that is always stopping me from achieving my goals is my amazing ability to slack off until I absolutely have to do something. I wait until the last second to do all of my homework, projects, or papers and sometimes I dont even do them. Laziness is my greatest flaw.
I want to be a better person. In everything I do, I want to be able to say that I did my best and there is no way I could have done it better. I already know that this is an unrealistic goal because at least once everyday I will do something that is not my best. But maybe I can start small and build my way up to my goal. Either way it will be a difficult goal to accomplish and I will need a lot of perserverence to do it.

kyle w said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
melissa gu said...

Every year I hear something about News Year s Resolutions and every year I try to have one myself. Their usually like get better grades or be organized, but I never wondered why people do these things or why it was even create. I guess people do this crazy tradition to just start new even though it doesn’t matter if it is a new year or not. To people the New Year symbolizes change and getting rid of all the old and bringing the new. It’s kind of like spring cleaning, getting all the old dirt and crap out of your house to make room for new dirt and crap. It also probably gives people hope that maybe this year would be different and they actually get something done. When I create my resolutions I always put to mind that there is a chance will never get them done, but I think to myself at least I try to improve myself. This year my resolution is to save money and not spend it on things I don’t even need. But I guess that’s not what you’re looking for so my second new year’s resolution is to stop being so shy and to be able to not get nervous when speak in front of my classes. Ever since I was a little girl I’ve been so shy when giving presentation or around people I’ve never met. When I’m around friend and family I act like a crazy person, but once I get into a class room or a room with a lot of people I go quiet. So I guess what I am saying is that I want to be the same person inside and out. This resolution would carry me throughout my life. If I become an Interior Designer I will have to pitch my ideas to clients and have a personality that doesn’t scary people away, so doing this will help be who I want to be. To get to this point I will have to suck up my fears and just deal with embarrassment if it should come around. I mean everyone has embarrassing moments I shouldn’t be distraught over one little mess up. I don’t even know why I bet that way anyway.

S.Ryan L said...

Why do people make New Years Resolutions? People seem to believe that because there is a new calendar, a new date, a new year they can restart their life with a clean slate a make a new beginning. New Years is like a new chapter in a book. You may not be able to rewrite the beginning of the story but with a new chapter comes the ability to change the end of the story. I honestly don’t make New Year resolutions; if I want to turn over a new leaf then I can do that at any point in time. I don’t need a new year to come or a special day or even a new chapter, for me to change something in my life I only need to decide to do so. I don’t think it’s bad that people make New Year Resolution; goals are great for people that actually can achieve there endeavor. Those who follows through with there New Years Resolution may need a date or a reason to make a change, perhaps the new year is a motivator. I can’t be the judge of successful resolutions, so I figured I would look it up the data and I found out only 8% of people in the United States achieve there New Year Resolution. That’s a pretty low percentage but what shocked me more was that at of the 88% of people who did make resolutions, 50% of those no longer do hahaha! I am not that nervous about school ending in 5 months or deciding on my career. Things work out for the best but who I am inside is a different story. I mean I am who I am but still there are little things I would like to change. No one is perfect I guess but I would like to be happy. Can you name someone that is truly happy? I want to be able to wake up every morning with the feeling that being Sergio Ryan La Torre is the best thing in the world. Even if something tragic happens to me, I want to be able to live my life to the fullest being happy. I don’t want to grow up and be some creep that always fears the negatives that the world can bring. How can I do this? Great question I don’t know? When I talk to different people and see what they go through compared to me it makes me realize how good I have it. You start to look at the things you have instead of the things you don’t. Sooner or later the things you don’t have begin to not matter anymore because those things are not important anymore. The things you do have are way more special then you thought in the long run and get you so much further to being happy with yourself. You find out what you make’s you tic and how to enhance your life through what you have instead of what you don’t have. It’s funny because just writing this blog response got me a little closer to this pursuit of happiness.

michaelc said...

People do new year's resolutions to start fresh. People try to change their bad habits and all their bad traits just because of numbers changing on the calendar. I think that if you want to change it shouldn't take a new year, which is really no different from any other day, to accomplish what you want.And plus, you rarely hear of people actually completing their resolutions. That's why I don't do new year's resolutions. I dont really see a good reason why i should because if I really wanted to accomplish or change something i wouldn't wait until a new year to do it. I would start right on the thought of it.
When I think of who I want to be, nothing really comes to mind. I guess i want to stay myself and be a good person on the inside. As long as i make the right decisions to lead me down a good path in life i will be fine.

Vincent Q said...

I think people make new years resolutions because new years is like a fresh start. It’s a whole new year and a clean slate. People as well as myself use this to better themselves and to make their life better. I don’t usually make a new years resolution but this year I did. My new years resolution this year for 2009 is to have fun as my last summer as a kid. After this summer I will be in college and even next summer it won’t be the same because ill be out of high school and will no longer be a kid. I want to do crazy things and have a great time this summer and I have a good feeling im going to.
My resolution for my remaining time here at Oakcrest is to leave a memory. When I leave is 5 Months and 2 Weeks I want teachers to always remember me and to stay in touch with my friends. My friends are one of the most important things to me and I never want to lose them.
When im older I want to be someone that people look up to and people always come to for advise or for help. Everyone tells me a always have good safe advise on thing because I always think about every precaution you have to look for. I want to be a dad and a caring and fun dad. There’s many dads in this world that don’t really care about their kids too much and I want to be a dad like mine, who is always helping me, always looking out for me, and caring for me. I think the thing I need to get there is to just be myself and always look for things that I need to improve about myself. Also one thing that you necessarily don’t need but its something I want for my kids and myself is money. Most of the time things will be a lot easier for someone if they have a lot money and it will also give me kids everything they need to be successful human beings so I will do everything I can to make good money for my family.

williama said...

On January first many people take time to think about life and reflect on what happened in the previous year. This takes them to the choice of making a new year’s resolution. They either say that they want to do something like lose weight, not talk to a certain person, or give up something that they feel they don’t need. I think that people make New Year’s resolutions to feel better about themselves as a person. If they say that they are going to lose weight or give up something that they feel they don’t need then it gives them the feeling that they are doing things to better their lives. Some may not even follow through with their resolution but it still gives them a good feeling about themselves that they tried to do something to better their selves. I know that I don’t waste my time with making New Year’s resolutions. They have never really seemed like a good idea to me. For most people it is like lying to yourself. You tell yourself that you want to change something but then you never end up doing it. Also I see it as you need to take life as it comes. Everything in your life happens for a reason with or without a new year’s resolution. So to me it seems pointless to lie to yourself and try to change who you are. I have never followed on and I don’t really plan to make one to try to follow. If I had to make just one resolution for the time that I have left at the oak it would have to be that I want to do my work and be a better person. I know that I am slacking in my senior year and that is not the time to do it. I forget to do work and I don’t give full attention in class. I want to be able to walk in to class everyday knowing I accomplished the tasks that were asked of me. I want to get the feeling that you get when you accomplished things. This could all be accomplished and made possible if I start to get my head in the game. If I take time to sit down and do work or read books instead of going out with friends, or to ride my bike, or dirt bike every free second of my life. I need to do some time management and make the time for what is important right now. And what is important now is my education.

Nicole L said...

Along with every new year comes a new goal; your new years resolution. Whether your teachers in school ask you to write down what your resolution is or you just determine one on your own we have all been guilty of making them and not following through. For the past few years mine has been the same weird huh? That's because it is so much easier to say your going to do something then physcially do it.I have constantly said i'm going to go on a diet, trust me it last two days. People think new year means a fresh start so they basically use it as an excuse. It will be October and someone will want to loose weight, and they will just say I`ll wait until after new years to do it. From now on i think instead of waiting til new years to reach my goal, i am just going to start my goal that very second it pops into my head. A new year is a fresh start, but doesn't have to be an escape goat for when we finally will reach our goals.

For my remaining time at oakcrest i want to get the best grades i possibly can. This is my last chance to honestly do my very best in highschool, not only do my best but finally seek out what my very best is. When finding my very best i think it will help me figure out what i truly want to do in college. I have a few ideas of what i want to do in college, but trying my hardest and accomplishing will help me determine what i do best, and what i am not so good at. I want to be the person i know i should be happy. I may get to that point by loosing weight, getting my best grades, or getting into college, but all i know is i want to be happy. I`m pretty happy now, but i would like to become more confident in myself, and trust myself. I tend to look for answers in other people to solve my problems. I need to learn how to write my own paper without help, or push mysef to work out, i need to do things on my own. This will not only help me alot in college but also in the future. When i`m older i want to know that everything i have is because i worked for it, and someone else didn't give it to me. Sure now in high school we all scramble five minutes before the bell rings to finish our pre calc homework, but that will not work in college. College is on a whole different level then highschool, and this year i want to prepare myself for it. I can't say whether or not making a new years resolution is right or wrong, but i do know i will no longer use it as an excuse. From now on if i want something i will get it, and not just use some date as my excuse in life.

Nicole L said...

Along with every new year comes a new goal; your new years resolution. Whether your teachers in school ask you to write down what your resolution is or you just determine one on your own we have all been guilty of making them and not following through. For the past few years mine has been the same weird huh? That's because it is so much easier to say your going to do something then physcially do it.I have constantly said i'm going to go on a diet, trust me it last two days. People think new year means a fresh start so they basically use it as an excuse. It will be October and someone will want to loose weight, and they will just say I`ll wait until after new years to do it. From now on i think instead of waiting til new years to reach my goal, i am just going to start my goal that very second it pops into my head. A new year is a fresh start, but doesn't have to be an escape goat for when we finally will reach our goals.

For my remaining time at oakcrest i want to get the best grades i possibly can. This is my last chance to honestly do my very best in highschool, not only do my best but finally seek out what my very best is. When finding my very best i think it will help me figure out what i truly want to do in college. I have a few ideas of what i want to do in college, but trying my hardest and accomplishing will help me determine what i do best, and what i am not so good at. I want to be the person i know i should be happy. I may get to that point by loosing weight, getting my best grades, or getting into college, but all i know is i want to be happy. I`m pretty happy now, but i would like to become more confident in myself, and trust myself. I tend to look for answers in other people to solve my problems. I need to learn how to write my own paper without help, or push mysef to work out, i need to do things on my own. This will not only help me alot in college but also in the future. When i`m older i want to know that everything i have is because i worked for it, and someone else didn't give it to me. Sure now in high school we all scramble five minutes before the bell rings to finish our pre calc homework, but that will not work in college. College is on a whole different level then highschool, and this year i want to prepare myself for it. I can't say whether or not making a new years resolution is right or wrong, but i do know i will no longer use it as an excuse. From now on if i want something i will get it, and not just use some date as my excuse in life.

Niah Grimes said...

New Year’s resolutions, well I used to do them this year I didn’t though. It’s overrated because you should want to be better all the time and should work at that all year. So this year I didn’t create one. I think people like New Year’s resolutions because it’s a new year and they want to start fresh and lose old habits, it’s understandable. The problem is mainly everyone never follows through, so it becomes pointless. I think most people create resolutions that are too big and it’s sort of overwhelming for them which is why they never follow through. Instead set small goals throughout the year to complete, this way you have reinforcement and bettering yourself isn’t so stressful.
My resolution for the year is to try to be a less controlling person to help eliminate stress. I have a habit of getting very upset, bent out of shape, and stressed over things I have no control over. I have to have things my way, ever since I can remember. I’m totally thrown off when life throws me a curve ball. I want to be a person who realizes that you cannot control everything, and focus on reacting to things not stressing over them. Not only does being so controlling give me gray hair, which I have six now, but who’s counting, but I cannot go to college this way. I need to be able to handle things without breaking down because it wasn’t in Niah’s plan. I’ll be by myself and I can’t stress out when things happen. How would I ever survive?
Another thing I want to be is more confident. I know your reading this and saying, “Niah Grimes more confident? Impossible!” but the truth is I could be. More confident with just my intelligence, I second guess myself and I want to rid myself of this before college. I need to go to college with a firm grasp on who I am so that I don’t lose myself while trying to find myself in college, if that makes any sense. I also need to become more confident with my decisions. At this point I still use eeny- meeny –miny- mo to decide a lot of my decisions from what beverage I choose to what college I’m going to. It’s extremely sad. So by the end of the year I want to and will be a less controlling more confident person. As soon as I figure out how.

shantab said...

When i first heard about people making "new years resolutions" I didn't quite understand the point of doing it, because everytime someone would say they would do things, they would never go through with it. I have to admit, I've become that person i often questioned. For the past five years, I've always set a resolution for myself. Wheither it be eating healthy, being nicer to people, or paying attention in class, and i have yet to go through with any of these resolutions because i continue to do the opposite unfortunantly. Why do people make new year's resolutions? What makes people think that just because its a new year they can start there life over? I mean its a nice concept, but now that I think about it its pretty retarded. You shouldnt need a particular date to start doing something good. I could be anyday, and just because its a new year shouldn't matter.
If i could make one resolution for myself, it would be to survive pre-calc. OMG ! I can not take it. When it comes to that class it seems like i just get ADD out of now where. No matter how much i try i cant pay attention. So if i can get a C in that class, it'll be a big enough accomplishment for me.
Who do I want to be? I want to be the Nurse Practicioner who makes pretty damn good money. I want to be the young lady my mom tryed so hard to instill in me. I want me to be me, and I think the problem is that I need to realize who "me" is, so thats were I need to start. I honestly don't know how i'll discover this, but i need to figure it out. I mean, i know my plans in life, but i just don't know how to get there.

JessL said...

People make New Year’s Resolutions because it gives them an excuse to improve themselves. They want to be a better person for the new year to make themselves happier or healthier. Most people naturally procrastinate and by looking forward to start a new resolution for the new year, it usually gets put off. Any other day would interfere with the other things they have to do, so starting off the new year with a resolution helps gives them a temporary mindset to make themselves better.
I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions actually. I don’t have any problems with myself and I just live everyday with a new goal to improve myself. I have the motivation and drive each day to do what I want to make myself better. I do sports nearly all year round and I work very hard with my academics, so I don’t use a New Year’s Resolution to ‘lose weight’ or ‘get better grades’. I pretty have New Day’s Resolutions. Every morning I wake up for a new goal for myself that day. Easy, attainable goals to be my best each and every day.
I pretty much just want to be myself. I would want to be the person that my heart tells me to be. There is no specific kind of person that I’m looking to be, but just keep the person that is already inside of me. I don’t want to change myself. I think I have been a pretty good person lately and I‘m very comfortable and confident about who I already am. I’ve got my mind set on the important things and I just want to continue that focus for the rest of my Senior year. That would probably be my ‘resolution’ for my remaining time here. To not lose focus and keep my goals within eyesight. I can’t let petty things like girls fights, boy drama, or anything like that to throw me off my balance. I want to be able to get through the remainder of time in high school with ease and being able to be at my greatest potential.
In order to get there, I need to not let things get to my head. I won’t stand for the unimportant things and will try to keep my head above it all and held up high. In order to do that, I would dedicate a good amount of day to do work and get things organized. I would need to be really organized so that the things in my life such as college decisions, crew, and school work don’t all stress me out and make me go crazy. If I can detect drama or something stupid like that, I can quickly turn away and not get involved. It will be a tougher thing to do than it sounds like, but these last few months are all I have left to prove myself to colleges and determine what my future could be.

BlakeR said...

I think people make new years resolutions because the year that just passed did not go as well as they hoped it to be. It is ether that or they completed their goal and they are trying to shoot for another one the fallowing year. But i feel most people do not fallow with it because it is a whole long year and whatever their resolution is, will be forgotten by April or May. I have tried a New Years Resolution one year just because i heard my older brother was doing it, and i used to fallow everything he did. It did not turn out well for me because i for got about it the next week. I would think of one every year but never fallow through so i gave up this year. This one resolution i would make this year is i need to start focusing more and caring more about the real world and life. I think that after high school it is going to be the same, when it is not going to be at all. I need to start caring about how i am doing in school and how my grades are in all my classes. I also have to start getting my college applications in. I know that all those things are more important than what i am doing right now. I would want to be that guy in life who is out of their parents house with their own family. I want to be more independent and get away from asking people for favors. I would like to get things my own way. I think that way things will be better and i will become a better and more mature person. I will like to be a great role model to all the little kids around me. i would want to teach them everything i know and tell them the things and experiences of life that they would need to know to live a great and joyful life. I know i will get to that point where i am happy who i turned out to be. I will have everything i ever wanted and be surrounded by the people i love. It will take time and every good thing always does. So i am in no rush to get there and being happy the way i am right now.

Danielle U said...

The reason I think that so many people start New Year’s resolutions is because it’s just a chance to start new, and fresh. Throughout the year, you keep telling yourself, “I’m going to get in shape,” or “I’m going to get good grades.” But, you always say “Maybe next week I’ll start.” But, that’s your excuse every week and you just keep putting it off. So, when New Year’s comes around, you know this is a perfect time to start a resolution, and it’s easier knowing everyone else is also. But, it’s also a reason to put off something you need to do to improve yourself by just waiting until the New Year starts. It is always better to want to help you, but it’s also better to help yourself as soon as possible. Even though that being said, I would have to say that yes, I am one of the people who start resolutions. I like to take the opportunity to try and better myself. Some resolutions I start I would say “When the New Year starts, I will,” and I do start the resolution when the New Year starts. But, it’s better to start ahead of time. Honestly though, each resolution only lasts like a month. It always just dies down and no one really talks about it when January is over. I can’t really give an answer as to why it dies down, and I can’t really recall anyone fulfilling their resolution.
I would have to say that the New Year’s resolution of who I would like to become, is to become a much happier person. I always dwell on things from the past. I find myself sad or upset a lot, and I just want to be known as someone who can make the best out of situations, doesn’t complain, and someone you can go to, to make your day better. I’m tired of looking miserable, although I’m not half of the time, and I just want to be able to appreciate my life although some times are better than others.
What I think I need to do to start this resolution is start making the best out of any situation I put myself in. When something doesn’t go my way, I get mad and try to just push the problem away. I know it would be better for myself to start dealing with issue thrown at me, then just trying to run from the problem.

Anonymous said...

New Years has become a pointless “Holiday” if that is what you can even call it anymore. It has the resemblance of St. Patrick’s Day except instead of drinking beer your drinking champagne. Instead of wearing all different types of green you wear the hats with the most sparkles and toot little horns. The resolution is something that seems to me is somewhat of a guilt trip. Once you take a good step back and look at the last three months of the year what do you notice? All of them are filled with mountains of food. October has Halloween where people dress up walk around all night and then stuff their faces with candy until mid November . The in November you have thanks giving where you eat twice the food necessary to survive the month just because it’s tradition. I’m not trying to knock the holidays but it isn’t necissary to eat such a large amount of food in order to bond with your family. Once again you have leftovers. They will then last you until Christmas where most people have another large family dinner and then go on vacation until the New Year comes around . (Which is what I do without the family dinner.) I figure that the reason so many people choose dieting as their number one resolution is because of the fact that they have already eaten enough food to last them the entire year in only a few meals. While I may be exaggerating I hope you get my point. This is why I don’t do New Year’s resolutions. Well that isn’t my only reason, I make resolutions too myself throughout the entire year some to better my physical status and others my social it truly depends on the time and the place. Humans are not perfect and daily habits need to be changed or at the least monitored for our entire lives. People use their resolutions as steps that will help them towards their ultimate goal but New Years isn’t the only time. My dad smoked for many years before I was born. The day that I was born my dad quit cold turkey and to this day he hasn’t picked up a cigarette or any other smokable substance. That’s 17 and a half years clean which to me is a feat. It just goes to show you that people can make resolutions all they want but what it really comes down to is not what you want to do but why you want to do it. That’s why people break their resolutions on the 2nd, it’s because they’re not doing it for anyone not even for themselves their just doing it because it’s expected of them. So when the times start to get tough they will crumble guaranteed. That’s why just for you Bunje I’m going to resolve to read one book every week and I would like you to pick them or at least a few of them if you would, and I know that I can do this because I know that it is a skill that I truly need help with and I want to truly better myself. Also I don’t want to give my children the ability to use me as an excuse like, “My dad’s not really fast at reading so that’s why I’m not”.

Roodly A said...

new years to me is a new beginning. its the time of the year where you forget about your past and accomplish new goals for the year. my goals for this year is to get A's get high scores on my sat and get into the college i want.everybody hae different goals. if you failed all your classes last year and you felt as if you could have done better, and its because you were hanging out with your friends in the hallway,skip class, dont do your home work, or whatever the reason maybe, your new years resolution for this year should be to not slack and do those stuff and to get great grades. but for people that gained alot of weight and didnt realize it until some started calling them fat, their goals for this new year is to lose a couple of weight and to get on a diet. what ever your new years resolution is, you must follow through it, you must realize that it is a new year and its time for a change. the new years resolution is a fresh start to make your life better. we all have bad habits and on every year we should all fix that. my new years resolution helps me alot and it will only help you if you follow through you should never give up no matter what. i think that everybody should have a new years resolution, everybody should have goals that they want to accomplish, eveybody. every year things change we get older and the we get the more things we learn about ourself,we realize the bad part about ourselfs thats why we need new years resolution. ever since i was little i had goals and i follow through with them and so far i havent failed and i never came close into giving up i always follow through with my goals and thats why i succeed.

Bill R said...

I think people make New Year’s Resolutions because it’s tradition. People want to better themselves, but to do so they must partake in an activity that they don’t necessarily want to do. People who want to loose weight will have to go to the gym. People who want to quit drinking will have to go to AA. They all want to adopt an affectation that they don’t find too appealing in hopes of making it a part of them in the future and from it bettering who they are. They decide to make New Years the day to promise themselves that they will dedicate the next month or year to improving themselves in one way or another. A lot of people will get too lazy or too busy to pursue there goals. I, in fact, am one of the people that have decided to make a new years resolution. I told myself that I would start running again on a regular basis. So far I haven’t run, but I still plan to start sometime soon.
In the remaining five and a half months I still have in Oakcrest, I want to be able to know where I want to be headed and to know that I’m going to make it there. I also want to be a memory of all my friends who I’m graduating with. I want to be able to look back with confidence and know I’ve made an impression on all who I’ve met. To achieve this I’ll have to make sure that I’m just not another student at Oak but something greater that stands out. I’ll have to show my true colors and all that I am capable of doing. It’s kind of hard to pinpoint who I’m going to wind up being in the future because everything about me is always changing; my style, my mindset and how I approach different situations. I can only say that I want to outlive my existence at Oakcrest by becoming someone whose name is still uttered in the halls in years to come. As well as in oak I want to be able to outlive my existence on this earth. I want to make a name for myself and become something people won’t forget even after I’m long dead and gone.

Anonymous said...

365 days and four hours to be exact another year rolls by and people watch the clock as the hands move, they hear it tick, tick, tick and get filed with excitement as the little hand gets closer to the bigger hand getting ready to meet on the twelve they begin to count down. ten, (so close) nine(here it comes) .., eight ..,seven...,six(butterflies are stirring) ,five ..,four ..,three .,two ...Earth has just made one full revolution around the sun the closest star to earth and the center of our universe. Can it be a new year a fresh start people decide to make resolutions to subconsciously celebrate the revolution that our earth has made. We strive to be like the earth and so it begins metaphorically speaking we start on our way to a better us to be like earth. January 1st comes and earth is right where she had been exactly one year previous yet she continues if she can endure the cosmic conditions and stays on the right path she will make it to the spot that is the never-ending end . People do the same thing earth does on new years they resolve to be better to start something they can never really finish. Earth sets off each year on a journey that yes has a marked end but upon reaching it she realize that she has another lap ahead of her and that she does not finish that lap so many others can get hurt and she might even loose herself and fall, maybe in a spiral, so she pushes on. People make resolutions each year to be better and sometimes succeed only to realize they have even more to improve , others fail cause they don’t take it revolution at a time they say why bother if there’s no way I will make it to that point and they spiral. I do Make resolutions cause I realize that change starts with one, when the one can just endure the conditions. I don’t quit cause I know others depend on me finishing my journey to inspire them to start theirs. I have come to the realization that there is a way to overcome and reach that never-ending end that becomes a start a second after it was an end and the key is to take it revolution at a time the earth is my example. Slow and steady wins the race, where there’s a will there’s a way…(and where there’s a Bunje question there’s a Iris with a cliché… I know that was lame, but true) .

monet tb said...

There’s a whole bunch of reasons why people make New Year resolutions. Many people want a clean slate so they use the “NEW YEAR” as an excuse to do so. Instead of finding the faults with what ever problem they have and fixing it then and there or they could be tired of an old way of something and they might want to improve it or they could just want that NEW change. Some people do it thinking they have to because it’s a tradition. I member when I use to make new year resolutions when the new year came but I just stopped because there was always something In my way of making my new change. Some times I just forgot about to follow it threw and I think the reason for that is because it probably wasn’t that important. You ask me who I want to be but I don’t think I can fully answer that question just because of the fact that I think there is more to the life then what I know. But I can say that I know that I want to be a very successful woman that can provide for her children with any struggles once so ever. But then I sit back and think I am going to need that struggle because that‘s what shapes an human being. To get there I feel that all I have to do is to achieve everything that I aim after. I know that it will take dedication, discipline, and determination but I am willing to strive to get there.

kelso said...

I think peole make new years revolutions for themselves because they want to make a change for the better. They're like goals peole set for themselves and try to acheive. The new year is like a second chance to start over fresh. to start with a clean slate. So anyhing your not completely proud of anything bad that happened to you, you can erase and start over new.
I dont ever make new years revolutions for myself and it's not because i dont want to change for the better or do something i'm proud of. I dont set them because i know i wont go through with my resolution. Like you said after a day or a week i would stop and go back to my old ways..it's a s if i just grow out of my resolution. Even though resolutions can be and are looked at as goal,,it's a very loose term for a new years resolution because i'm not the only one who stops following them. People are always giving up on their resolutions because they can't fight the temptation or dont want to change their old ways.They're just not that serious about them..not all people give up on them though.
It's going to be so weird and scary for me to finally graduate highschool, not coming back to to school in september will really feel abnormal to me but i'm not that worried about it. What i am worried about is who i want to be in life because, the truth is. i really dont have an answer. I ask myself this question everyday but yet i still come up with nothing, i'm lost and dont know where to go. All i know for sure is that i want to feel happy and at peace inside everywhere i go, not angry or sad like i do now. All this anger and sadness is creating stress for me and it's really taking a toll on me physically, mentally, and emotionally. I want to change people's lives and discover something and be known for it..just how awsome would that be..i want everyone to know my name, for everyone to see how sucessful i've become and have my mother see especially, so she can see the mistake she made. However i dont know how to get there, it's as is if i'm stuck. I'm not sure about anything, the only thing i am sure about is my boyfriend. I just need some help and some giudance. So with that said I think my new years resolution is to find the guidance i need to lead me down the path of knowing what and who i want to be.

Sam S said...

I think people make New Years resolutions for one or maybe two reasons. One being that as a child, most parents tell their kids that they are supposed to make a resolution on New Years. That may only be the people I grew up with though. Another reason that I believe people make New years resolutions is to try to make their life better to whatever extent. Many resolutions I hear about are loosing weight or not drinking soda which in turn makes that person healthy. I never made a new years resolution until this year. I don’t know why, but I have a few ideas now thinking about it. When I was a child, I knew I wouldn’t follow through so I didn’t bother. As a teenager, I found it pointless because I know what I want to do and I don’t need to say it on the first of the year for it to be my goal. This year being my first year to make one I actually came up with something I tried to start before, but I couldn’t so maybe now that I am grown up I’ll follow it instead of just forget about it. I have kept mine so far but it’s only 9 days into the year.
I can’t think of only one thing I want to have completed by the time I leave. I do so much stuff around Oakcrest that I don’t have my eyes set on one goal more like on for each class. One of those goals is getting a four or five on my AP calculus test. If I had to make an all around single goal for the remainder of the year it would be something like taking more steps towards figuring out who I really am and how much farther I need to get to become the person I want to be.
There are so many things I want to have within me as a person that I probably can’t list it all in a blog for 450-500 words. An example of something I want to be is the kind of caring person and trustworthy person that can be turned to always. Many people tell me they can talk to me, but that’s what out of 1700 people in Oakcrest. Whether it is where I work or where I live, I just want people to think I am caring instead of what many people think of me now as a high school senior. Steps I know I need to take to get there are obtaining friends that can find that in me and tell others that I have taken a step out of my “grumpy” shell. I know that I need to prove myself as loyal, but I don’t know how I should go about that one either.

Nancy M said...

New Year’s resolutions are made on January 1st at the beginning of the new year. To most people, or at least I think so, the new year means a second chance. It gives people a chance to correct their mistakes or do things they didn’t make time for or even forget about everything that happened the year before. People make New Year’s resolutions because it gives them hope that the new year will be different from the last. Whether its either to lose weight or go sky diving it gives people something to look forward to, something to hope for and strive for.
I used to make new year’s resolutions and they were always to either lose weight or do better in school or to stop being a procrastinator but like you said within a week I was back to snacking on chips not making time for my homework and waiting until the second before to get things done. I felt the same way I think everyone else feels when the new year rolled around. I wanted things in my life to be different, I wanted to be different. But the reality set in that I didn’t want to stick to these resolutions and I forgot all about them. This new year’s I didn’t want to make a resolution, I think its dumb to only decide your going to do something you’ve always wanted to on new years, you should wake up every morning and vow to live life the way YOU want to and lose weight if you want to or go sky diving or be a better person or what ever it is that you didn’t get a chance to do. However if I had to make one resolution I would want to be a better person because I believe that will bring me happiness. If I stopped complaining about things abd getting mad over stupid stuff or ignoring people when their talking to me I would be more relaxed and content with myself and the things around me. I would want to look at the beauties of life instead of the ugly, negative things. I want to go to school and instead of worrying about a test I swear I’m going to fail, but think about how good it will help my grade if I ace it because I went into it with a positive attitude. I want to be happy. I want to be happy because I made myself happy and I want to be content with the life I have even if I end up living in a cardboard box. I want people to look at me and say she is so happy with the person she is and who she has become. I’m not saying I want to be happy all day every day and be a robot that never gets upset, but at the end of the night when I go to sleep I can lay down with a smile on my face and know that I became that content person that I wanted to be.

Anonymous said...

New Year's resolutions are pointless. People make them every year, and no one lives up to their word. I don't know why people make New Year's resolutions. I think they make them so that they can feel better on the inside, or to seem like a better person in other peoples eyes. New Year's resolutions are usually things that help people feel and look better. For example, the most common resolutions are someone trying to lose weight and to be a nicer and/or more productive person. Almost all resolutions are made to be seen as a better person. People want to be seen as a good person, especially those who make New Year's resolutions.

I don not make New Year's resolutions. I see it as pointless. Just because another 365 days has passed does not mean I have to promise myself to do something better. If I really wanted to change myself, I would do it the minute I think that I need a change. Just because it is a New Year does not change anything. When I decide to make these changes, I tend to follow them. Mostly because they these changes make me a better man. They normally are chosen to help be ready for life.

My one resolution for high school is to get the best out of m time here that I can get. To be a greater student/athlete/person. I want to leave Oakcrest and say I had a god time in high school. I want to be able to look back in the future and remember nothing but great experiences in Oakcrest. I would say to do good in school with grades, but I already know that is going to happen.

In the future I want to be a better me. Its the only thing I can ask for. To be a better person on the inside, I want to be free of anything negative. I want to feel satisfied in my own skin. I want to stop and ask the question, "did I change for the better or for the worse? If I wasn't me, would I want to know me?"

How do I think I need to get there is a tough question. The answer to this question is unknown. The problem is I don't know what it is I need to change. I am ignorant of my own flaws. I do not realize them until I see how they affect me or others. When I see how these flaws change the way people see me and how I have changed is when I will know. I can only find these flaws out as time goes by. Through time I will find the answer to this question. The question, "How can I become a better me?"

Anonymous said...

New year, new outlook, new motivations, new goals. Every year, people make resolutions but do not follow through for the entire year, if even the first week of the new year. Everyone’s resolution is to be better, or to better themselves, never really pin pointing something in particular that they would really like to improve. I think people make New Year’s Resolutions just because people have been doing it for years. I do not think a lot of people take them seriously and do not really put a lot of thought into them. New Year resolutions are more just like a tradition that get lost and dusted off in the party streamers and confetti after all of the partying and craziness. I usually make them, but do not keep them. The only time I will keep them is if from the beginning, I know I will. But that makes me think, if it doesn’t take any resistance to follow through, how good of a resolution is it? It is hard for me to want to resolve to something that I may think I will break. I do not like failure. I often find myself not setting goals for things that I have even the slightest possibility of not achieving. This means that fear controls many of my decisions. And I know, especially after reading Life of Pi, that this is definitely one way you cannot live. For the rest of the time I have in high school, I want to live up to one final resolution. I am sure this is a resolution among all seniors. That is to finally walk across the football field in the graduation ceremony and receive what we have all been waiting for, for the last 12 years: a high school diploma. This is a very general resolution, however, one that holds great importance to me. I want to be great. I want to achieve success. Beyond job titles (a few), academic achievements (varsity scholar!), athletic accomplishments (I have none of those), I want to be the best that I can be. I will get to be the successful person I want to be by setting short term and long term goals and following through in accomplishing them. In September I will start my first college semester at ACCC. I am already preparing to make my “college resolution” to be an overachiever in college. I know that I have not lived up to my fullest potential in high school, but am ready for a fresh start. New school, new outlook, new motivations, new goals. I am ready to do great and be a great person. I am ready to achieve greatness. HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2009, yes, I graduate this year!

Anonymous said...

People always tend to make resolutions when the "New Year" comes. This is because the new year gives them a chance to start over, or in other words, re-invent themselves. You hear people say that they are going to change this and that, but they never do. The most frequently sayed resolution is to lose weight. Now you know damn well that you are not going to really do that, so why even say. You are going to run straight to the first sugary substance and then it's all down hill from there. You go from oh, I'll work out tomorrow, then when tomorrow comes, you say that you'll do it the next day but never do. Another resolution that people make is to try and mend broken relationships between people. The real and true reason people make resolutions is to make themselves feel better. If they say that they are going to accomplish this,this, and this, it makes them feel good about themselves. What people don't figure into their resolutions is the reality of life. Life comes up with all kinds of circumstances that can hinder you from reaching your goals. Personally, I never make any resolutions. They are pointless to me and are a waste of my time. I don't believe in saying that I'm going to do something, and don't do it. Besides, I like just seeing where life takes me and what I can make of it. In middle school, the teachers would make us write resolutions for the new year. I would write down that I would want to become a better drawer, daughter, etc. This is when I realized that I can never follow through with my resolutions. I would either forget about them or I would just give up. Since you are asking us to make one resolution for high school, I guess that I'll do that. For my time remaining here, I would like the rest of the year to be the funniest most exciting time ever. My friends and I would be closer than ever and I would would just make the best out of every situation, good and bad. I would like to be someone that doesn't let the little things bother her. On the inside I want to be a person that doesn't feel weird in a room with people that she has no clue who they are. I want to be able to feel satisfied in my own skin and doesn't care what other people think. Once I can achieve that, I believe that I would be able to do and accomplish anything. Also I would like to be overall a better friend, daughter, and sister. To get to this point, I think that I would have to start with being nicer to people. On more than one ocassion I'll brush people off because I don't feel like being around them. The part about feeling comfortable in my own skin will come over time. I just have to get over my shyness by not being afraid to not act like a total fool in front of everyone, not just my friends. As for everything else, only time will tell.

evank said...

I think people make new years resolutions because they think that it's the first of the new year and they should set new goals for the new year even if they are the same ones as the last year. I do not make new years resolutions because I have a strong dislike for them and they useually don;t work. To me they are a giant waist of time and not worth the efort because if there is any goal worth setting for yourself you shouldn't want to wait until new years to set that goal you should set it right away. I can't really set a new years resolution due to the fact that I don't believe in them and I don't do things that I don't believe in. I can and will set a goal to be a better person than I am now. I would like to be kinder and more helpful and also a better freind. It will be hard for me to accomplish this because I am going to be going to Fire Achadamy and will have a lot of work to do and will be responding to fire calls at the same time and trying to get into the forest fire service but, I will try my best to because if there is one thing I believe in it's to always try and accomplish your goals.

evank said...

I think people make new years resolutions because they think that it's the first of the new year and they should set new goals for the new year even if they are the same ones as the last year. I do not make new years resolutions because I have a strong dislike for them and they useually don;t work. To me they are a giant waist of time and not worth the efort because if there is any goal worth setting for yourself you shouldn't want to wait until new years to set that goal you should set it right away. I can't really set a new years resolution due to the fact that I don't believe in them and I don't do things that I don't believe in. I can and will set a goal to be a better person than I am now. I would like to be kinder and more helpful and also a better freind. It will be hard for me to accomplish this because I am going to be going to Fire Achadamy and will have a lot of work to do and will be responding to fire calls at the same time and trying to get into the forest fire service but, I will try my best to because if there is one thing I believe in it's to always try and accomplish your goals.

evank said...

I think people make new years resolutions because they think that it's the first of the new year and they should set new goals for the new year even if they are the same ones as the last year. I do not make new years resolutions because I have a strong dislike for them and they useually don;t work. To me they are a giant waist of time and not worth the efort because if there is any goal worth setting for yourself you shouldn't want to wait until new years to set that goal you should set it right away. I can't really set a new years resolution due to the fact that I don't believe in them and I don't do things that I don't believe in. I can and will set a goal to be a better person than I am now. I would like to be kinder and more helpful and also a better freind. It will be hard for me to accomplish this because I am going to be going to Fire Achadamy and will have a lot of work to do and will be responding to fire calls at the same time and trying to get into the forest fire service but, I will try my best to because if there is one thing I believe in it's to always try and accomplish your goals.

Anonymous said...

Personally I've never been one to do the whole New Years Resolution thing because nine times out of ten I would wind up breaking my resolution and go back to my old ways within a week or so. In my opinion I think that people like the idea of a New Years Resolution because its their chance to start fresh and forget about the past and take a step towards the future; a step towards change. I mean that's what New Years is all about right? Change. It's not that I'm scared of change and that's why I tend to not make a New Years Resolution. Its the fact that I find it so odd that on January 1st millions to billions of people attempt to make that step towards change but usually never follow through. Don't get me wrong New Years is a wonderful holiday but why is it that on this one special holiday people make promises to themselves that most know their never going to keep. Maybe its that New Years is a symbol of hope, hope that with every new year people's lives will change for the better and all skeletons from the past will disappear thanks to the new year. I have to admit the the New Year does give me some kind of hope for 2009 to be a better year then 2008 but what I've come to realize is that in the past years that I've actually attempted to make a New Years Resolution it was always a resolution to better myself for others, to treat the people around me better, to change my flaws for them. Although, this year I've made a resolution for myself. In 2009 before I graduate and move on into the "adult" world I'm going to find out more about me and what I want in life, what i want from Oakcrest, and ultimately who I want to be, which in the end is myself. All my life I've always changed things about myself so that I could live up to other peoples expectations, but not anymore! My New Years Resolution for 2009 is to finally be myself the person that I'm proud to be, the person who I truly am inside and if for some reason being who I am doesn't meet up to certain peoples standards then screw them because in 2009 I am making a change for myself no one else, I'm just going to be me.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can hardly believe its already 2009. Every single year people decide to make a New Years Resolution that is going on a diet, doing better in school or to keep their room clean. Most of those people end up breaking their promise and end up living the same way they used to. Personally, I used to make New Year’s Resolution but I always seem to break them. I try my best not to but I really can’t help myself. When I do break my promises I always get upset with myself because I promised to do something and didn’t follow through with it. That’s why I didn’t want to make a New Year’s Resolution this year because I didn’t want to upset myself knowing that I broke a promise. In my opinion I think that people get the idea that when it’s a New Year, it’s a complete fresh start for change. It’s a new start to make people want to better themselves with their lives or the people around them. Some people don’t know why they make resolutions, they just think it’s the right thing to do since it’s a New Year. Other people just make resolutions because when its just a regular March 1, they’ll make a promise and when they don’t follow through with it, they’ll say “ I’ll just do it tomorrow” or “I’ll do it next week” but never seem to follow with their resolution and they just give themselves a excuse to postpone what they want to do. Or it may be simply because their lazy and they just want to lay on their bed and watch TV. I really don’t know why people don’t follow through with their resolutions. Maybe its because it gets old after a while and people just forget about it.
This year I really didn’t try to make a New Year’s Resolution. But now that you are asking as to make one I will. This year I want to always be the person who I am when I go to college. But I also want to better myself on some of my flaws. I’m the kind of person who is always happy no matter what. I don’t really like having “bad days” because I think that’s just a way to put myself down and I just want to live life to the fullest. And if I’m constantly sad, I don’t think I’m going to enjoy life. Some things that I lack in is that I take a lot of stuff for granted. I never realized how good I have it. I look at other people who don’t have what I have and I don’t see them complaining. And me, someone who has something to eat everyday and who has a roof over their head complains over the littlest things. Sometimes I think I should stop and think what am I complaining for. I just want to make myself better as best as possible and just hope for the best in the future.

Pete D. said...

I suppose the reason for people making new years resolutions is simply because it is the beginning of a whole new year. Many may feel that they have a clean slate in which they have a chance to initiate change in their lives. As good as their intentions may be most resolutions turn into a failed attempt and their goals are quickly forgotten. It seems a majority of the human populace who make resolutions can’t get past the one week mark with their newfound oath; however this most definitely can’t be said about all people. There is without a doubt people out there who manage to stay true to their new aspiration but this is merely a small minority. Personally I can’t say I make resolutions at the beginning of each year. I guess it’s because I look at things from a realistic point of view, and realistically I won’t stay true to my resolution. Although this is not to say I cannot fulfill my long term goals or maintain a certain attitude towards the things I want to achieve because I most certainly can. But usually if I were to make a new years resolution it would be something outrageous and most likely not obtainable because I probably just wanted to think of something I can’ do and say I want to do it.
As for who I want to be. Well to be honest I very much like who I am today. sure there are tons of improvements that can be made, I’m sure, but personally I like who I’ve become as I have aged. I like the fact that I don’t brag too much, or at least try not to and I can get along with everyone. I am skilled in a wide variety of things ranging from cars to computers to cooking, and I play sports so I guess I am pretty well rounded. I understand sarcasm very well, mostly because that is my forte in which I use it to make people smile, yet I can still appeal to the humor of the less “understanding” people who can’t quite figure sarcasm out. And I don’t always have to be the best at something and can usually deal with not coming in first because frankly I am not incredibly competitive, unless it’s snowboarding, then I refuse to be second best out of all my friends, maybe even the school, who knows. I would however enjoy being less of a procrastinator, because there was once a time where I decided to get my work done with in a timely fashion and it felt good. Not only to know that all my work was done with but to not worry about getting it done the night before with 4 hours left till school. Still I remain a procrastinator and I haven’t seemed to be getting any better at not doing it. I guess to stop this I have to change my whole attitude on work. I really need to work on managing my time as to not put myself in bad situations and losing a substantial amount of sleep. I want to become a person who can encounter a situation of any type and be able to take care of it myself, because I like being self-dependant. it feels good to get things done without the help of anyone else and to know that you can handle almost anything that is thrown your way.

jesskeating. said...

I personally think people make new years resolutions because it gives them an excuse to make them try to feel better about themselves by setting a goal that they know they probably wont end up accomplishing, but it feels good to say that you have one. I never make new years resolutions. I think the whole concept is bull. If I wanted to accomplish something then I would do it on my own and not wait until something gave me the incentive to do it like a new year. There is nothing ever “new” about a new year besides the fact that the number of the year changes. People do not change no matter how many times they say “Im going to do this. Im going to stop that. Ill cut down on that.” I don’t know; the whole thing is ridiculous and gets me mad and aggravated each year. For the rest of my time at Oakcrest, I want to continue to work hard inorder to get into the STARS program. It wouldn’t really be considered a “resolution” since its been on going from when we heard of it, but it is the only thing that really matters to me during this remaining time at school. I am not able to slack off at all or even think about senioritis the slightest like some who are already accepted to college. I am fine with that thought because I know what I have to do. I personally don’t know who I am or who I want to be and I don’t think Ill ever figure that out. I have lost my own identity many years ago and its so hard to get back on track with finding myself that I sadly gave up. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll figure myself out and what I want in life.

Kirsten A said...

I think that people make new years resolutions to try and set a goal for themselves in the coming year. Even though many people do not follow through in their goals they find it a way of trying to set a plan for their future. I always say that I am going to make a resolution but I never do since I know that I will never follow through with what I have set ahead for myself. I think I have followed though with one. Which is your typical resolution to loose weight it took me more than one year but I did follow through with my goal.
I want to be a person who people can look up to in life and trust with things. Not many people in my family have made it through college and I am trying to accomplish my goal of becoming a physical therapist and become the first doctor in my family. Along my journey in life I hope to accomplish furthering who I want to be on the inside. People have always told me I am an easy person to talk to and get advice from. I have even been referred to as Dr.Phil and Oprah by people. Along my journey I know that I will have to overcome many obstacles in life but I know that I will be able to overcome them if I set my mind to it.

marcus m said...

I believe that a New Year's Resolution is made by people to give them something to accomplish for the year. It's a means of taking a step toward improving yourself in a certain way. For example, saying that you will do one hundered sit ups a day to have the six pack that you always wanted.I rarely ever make resolution but when I do I don't usually follow through with them. It could be because my resolutions are more geared towards athletic events and academics. I really want to be a few things in my short time left in Oakcrest. I would like to be a better version of who I am now. I like to think that I am somewhat kind,but can have a small mean streak. This year that mean side will cease to exist. I will try to be a much more peaceful and calm person. But my major goal is to be a much more out going person. I know that it will be very hard to get there but to do it there are a few things that I need to do. In order to stop the mean side I will think fully about the situation, relax and then attempt to brush it off. As for calmness I will try not to let too many things get me down or cause me frustration. The out going part will be very hard because I am pretty shy and keep to my self. Not this New Year though I refuse to be this way. If my friends are going out to a party then instead of staying home I will go with them and have some fun. I am going to go to more events and get in to more activities. I have already started to act on my resolution and will continue improve on this until I am fully happy with where I am at in my life.

Anonymous said...

I believe a new years resolution is something everybody does because everybody else does. Everybody tells others what they are going to do different in a new year. They say they are going to do something different but end up doing the same thing they always do. They usually stop within a month if not longer. I think people make New Years resolutions because they feel that society thinks they have to fix something about themselves.Thats why it only last for a couple of months. They don't actually think something is wrong. Or they do feel something is wrong. People that messed up in a relationship or gained to much weight or want to stop eating the one food that makes them feel so happy. They try and change but most people just breakdown and stop. They try so hard to change who they are but cant. I am not one of those people. I really don't care what others have to say about me. I don't act fake around people. I act the same way around everyone. I want to be a person when they look back on there life they feel that they didn't make one mistake. I want to look back and say that I made the best decisions to better myself for the future. I want to be a good person that does everything rite. A wrong decision is not in the vocabulary. I want people to look at my life story and try to follow what ever I did. I don't want to be famous but i wont to be a person that is well off.

Paul H said...

I think people make new years resolutions for many reasons. first off they feel a new year is a "fresh start." they may also feel if changing a bad habit now will have a better effect than it would any other time. I don’t know where it all started but a lot of people make resolutions. It could also be because after thanksgiving and Christmas with all the over indulging on turkey and the like people feel it would be a good time to start a diet. I am not one of those people who make new years resolutions. If I feel I need to make a change in my life or anything like that I don’t want for new years to make that decision. But I do follow through with resolutions i set even if they are not on new years. My first resolution would have been to get accepted into the college of my choice which miraculously I did the other day. So my second resolution would be to keep my grades up and possibly get some scholarships to help out with my next 4 years of tuition and all the other costs of college. i want to be the person I have always been. I want to stay the same for the most part. Sure I could mature some but besides that I wouldn’t change much. But all I really want out of life is to be happy and to follow the path of my choice, no one else’s. Sure people around me may influence that path but I can always make the final decision and no one else can. the only way I can get there is to go through life one day at a time and to never let the little things bring me down and to let myself know I am capable of doing whatever I set my mind to.

Paul H said...

I think people make new years resolutions for many reasons. first off they feel a new year is a "fresh start." they may also feel if changing a bad habit now will have a better effect than it would any other time. I don’t know where it all started but a lot of people make resolutions. It could also be because after thanksgiving and Christmas with all the over indulging on turkey and the like people feel it would be a good time to start a diet. I am not one of those people who make new years resolutions. If I feel I need to make a change in my life or anything like that I don’t want for new years to make that decision. But I do follow through with resolutions i set even if they are not on new years. My first resolution would have been to get accepted into the college of my choice which miraculously I did the other day. So my second resolution would be to keep my grades up and possibly get some scholarships to help out with my next 4 years of tuition and all the other costs of college. i want to be the person I have always been. I want to stay the same for the most part. Sure I could mature some but besides that I wouldn’t change much. But all I really want out of life is to be happy and to follow the path of my choice, no one else’s. Sure people around me may influence that path but I can always make the final decision and no one else can. the only way I can get there is to go through life one day at a time and to never let the little things bring me down and to let myself know I am capable of doing whatever I set my mind to.

Mia said...

Well first of all I want to say thank goodness the year of 2009 has arrived and that I hope this year brings loads of happiness. In addition, with a New Year beginning, I begin to look at things in a complete different perspective.

But yea, New years Resolutions. Things people always make but never seem to actually follow through. I really do not know why people make new years resolutions if they do not even plan to finish them thoroughly out, and some do not even start them. And then there’s those few who actually follow them out. And I don’t know if I’m one to make new years resolutions because the things I want to do to better myself I’ve been doing for the past few years and I haven’t stopped, so I don’t know if it’d count as a new years resolution because I work on it as often as I can.

But a new New years resolution I would make for this year, well for the remaining five months that we have left. I really do not know what it is. I am satisfied with how everything is going and I do not feel there is a need to make a new years resolution. But answering the question of Who I want to be, not what I want to be. I guess the answer to that is kind of shady right now. I know for a fact I want to be successful and happy in. just want to make the most of everything that I have and will have in my years to come. Getting there. I know it will not be easy at all, and I really do not know how. I know what want to do and it is simple. Getting there physically will not be the problem, just getting there mentally I guess would be. But like they say the journey is the best part before reaching the destination. So I hope its true. Hope fully. But yea I guess that answers the question of who I want to be.