Sunday, February 1, 2009

"This I Believe"

So, as much as I love music--and I truly love music--there are times when listening to a tired, old radio station just doesn't do it for me. Same with the CDs that are artfully arranged in a display akin to a 3-year old's toybox in the backseat of my car. When this happens, I tune into NPR--National Public Radio, for those of you not "in the know" about it. I love NPR; it inspires me. In fact, I get many of my lesson ideas from listening to it. There is a segment I particularly love on NPR called "This I Believe" and it was the inspiration behind this week's blog post. Actually, it was an inspiration for a blog I posted last year, but it so happens that it very neatly coincides with the talk you are going to be giving soon, so I figured I'd go green and recycle.

Have you ever thought about what the guiding principles in your life are? By guiding principles I simply mean the things in life that you truly and fundamentally believe; the beliefs that shape your decisions when you find yourself in a position where you have to make one. Perhaps it is the notion that "everyone, no matter how seemingly insignificant, has something to teach us" or something as common as the idea that "all men are created equal and are endowed with certain inalienable rights...among them...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" or "treat others the way that you wish to be treated" or "blood is thicker than water."
Those are just some generic examples, but your challenge this week is explore some of your own core beliefs and choose one guiding principle that you would like to shape your journey into adulthood and throughout life. Don't get caught up in tired cliches or age-old aphorisms; be creative, be yourself. Really think about the beliefs that you hold near and dear to your heart and try to capture them in your own words. Talk about why these beliefs are important to you and how you came to recognize them. (400-450 words/75pts)

47 comments:

Nancy M said...

When it boils down to it, I base my life and my guiding principles on the saying " you reap what you sew". It is written in the bible and I don't know if you remember from one of the discussions we had in class but I said that I have a strong belief in God and I never question him or anything else in my life. I think that this saying explains why I live my life the way I do because if I make a bad decision I can expect consequences to happen that I might not be happy with. And if I make a good decision I can expect good things to come from it. So when it says in the bible you reap what you sew, I believe strongly that its something we all need to apply to the way we act and the things that we do. Instead of questioning God or what it says in the bible we should question ourselves first before we do or say anything and this is how I live my life. What ever you do in life comes back to you so I tend to try to do as many good things as possible. Before I open my mouth to say something hurtful to someone, I think about the saying and I think to myself.... now am I going to like it when someone says something hurtful to me because I’m choosing to disrespect this person right now? and of course the answer is no and I know its hard to stop yourself from doing something that you feel is justified because maybe that person said something hurtful to you first but it’s possible. The path that you choose to go down and the manner you choose to do it in will eventually find its way back to you whether it is in a good way or a bad way. It’s almost like that other saying do for others what you would want to be done for you. I don’t know if I believe so strongly in “you reap what you sew” because I’m afraid of doing something bad and then it come back to haunt me ten times worse or just because I want to try to do what’s right. I haven’t quite figured that out yet. This isn’t something that I was taught to believe, its something that I discovered on my own I think because no one in my family believes in this. My sister makes fun of me all the time because I always do the right thing and never do anything bad. I always tell her that what I do will come back to me with consequences that I won’t want to deal with. Maybe I am corny but I don’t want to finally find myself in the future happy but then it get taken away from me because I sewed a bad path.

ash tharp said...

i don't know what i could say guides me because i just trust me gut, heart, and life situations to open my eyes to what is right and what is real stupid. Thiugh there is a qoute that you could say that i live by and yes it is used alot but i believe in it. " live life to the fullest with no regrets". if you live your life by that then you never can be wrong because life is meant to be happy and lived so if you make mistakes jsut learn from them. but the most important part is that if you regret making mistakes thats the wrong thing because all your mistake is teach you waht is wrong and what is right, so you just need to keep your self in check so that you don't make the same mistake again.
i am a person who doesn't like to be stupid or act stupid so i just want o be happy and havea good time now and in the future. i want to learn form all my experiences in life and exspecailly the bad. i believe that is the best knowledge that anyone can recieve in life. i believe in alot of things thatgive you knowledge such as god, parents,teachers, and yourself. i was taught that you are guided right but its up to you to make the wise decisions which is withheld in yourself. i trust myself first before i trust aany strangers. i know you can be wrong but that just something you need to find out so i believe that you need to trust yourself first before you learn anything. you cant get anywhere in life if you don't trust yourself and experiences so that what i am telling you to do. believe in you thats the wises decisions you can make.



sorry not one of my best i feel like crap bunje and i lost my voice it sucks

Jepson!!!!!!!!! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jepson!!!!!!!!! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jepson!!!!!!!!! said...

My philosophy is that "life is a journey, not a destination". Now think about it. Everyone says there gonna be happy once they get there car, once they graduate, once they get a girlfriend, once they get married, once there kids grow up, etc. I used to be pretty sure that just about everyone had obstacles in there life, but then one day I realized these obstacles ARE life. It was then I decided I'm going to be happy NOW. I'm going to strive for what I want NOW. I believe that I should be happy as often as possible, and do something I personally enjoy as often as possible.

And it's funny for how much i talk about "now" I often think of my future. It was very early on in my life I associated wealth with happiness. So that became one of my goals. To be honest, for a greater part of every day I thought about ways I become rich, so i can live life comfortably, and do what I want all the time. Sounds like everyone's ideal life right? haha. this is where music comes in.

I would love to be a sound engineer/producer, and own my own studio. I had always been afraid that the money wasn't a guarantee.

Then it hit me. I could go to school for sound engineering, and do what I love everyday, and get paid for it. I could do it from the comfort of my own home! While this path may not lead me to a six figure income, I could still make a good amount of money. Plus I would be my own boss, wich is the only way I think I could be happy in life. haha

sorrry to stray off topic a little, but it all helps to prove my point. be happy, have fun, live life.

Anonymous said...

A lot of the guiding principles in my life that I truly and fundamentally believe are a lot of ones that I have heard from others, and agree with. “Blood is thicker than water”, “treat others the way that you wish to be treated”, but these are simple ideas that have just been carried along over the years. It is the personal meanings of these simple phrases that I hold near and dear to my heart. “Blood is thicker than water”. However, some may think their friends are closer and dearer than their family members. I don’t think anyone’s beliefs on any particular principle will be exactly the same because everyone has experienced different things and have different views on a lot of things. Some of my own core beliefs include what goes around comes around. I am a strong believer in karma. It is a coincidence you mentioned music in the first part of the blog because a great deal of music mentions the principle of karma. Artists such as Alicia Keys and Lloyd Banks have songs entitled “Karma”. The principle of karma seems very popular among a large range of people; however as much as people believe that it is true; do not hold the belief close to their heart. The principles of karma shape how everyone, in my opinion, should live their life. If people would like about the affects of their actions, and if they would be okay with those affects being applied to their own lives, I am sure people would make decisions much wiser. I have come to be such an avid believer of karma, because like most things I believe in, I need to be shown I came believe in it. I feel that bad, as well as good actions I have carried out have been returned to me, both good and bad. There have been instances where I have found money, and instead of returning it, kept it. In return, I have lost money. There have also been instances where I have found money, and returned it. In return, I have been rewarded. A lot of people think these examples are simply coincidences. However, I like to refer to these happenings as karma and do live by that principle everyday. I truly believe this principle will help me during my journey through life because it will make me a better person, able to make better choices, and will steer away from bad decisions because I wouldn’t want them to happen to me.

Javahn B said...

uummmm....alright this is more of a challenge because i base my life on more than just one guideline and principle. Well, i'll have to say i base my life and my guiding principles by sying "dont do the crime, if you can't do the time". Now i do mean a crime against the law and going to jail. But thats not all I mean. This goes for everything in life. Such as cheating on your girlfriend or boyfriend. If you choose to cheat , be dishonest or just continuously lie and be unfaithful, You have to be prepaird for the consequence. Which may be seperation or an argument. What ever the case may be, you have to be prepaired and accept whatever comes crashing at you. This sayin " dont do the crime, if you cant do thetime", would help you think twice about any bad decision your about to make. It'll show you all the bad things that could happen to you, and it'll make you think " am i ready to accept this...or, how heavy would this affect my life." Hopefully this would change all the negative choices you think of. I kno it did for me. All my life i've been put into situations to when i'll have to stop, think and ask myself, "Do i really want to do this, and if so, am i ready to accept the consequence?". After i think about my decisions, i began to think about the worst thing that could happen, and most of the out comes would either be jail, or death. I wasnt ready to put up with niether one. But I have to admit, there was one-ok maybe more than one-time when i 've chose the wrong decision. But there's also times when i've chose the wright decision. I recognized my beliefs when i got into a fight in school. But the thing is, i haven't thought about it before i've taken action. So i didnt take the time to understand what the consequences would be. Even though i was old enough to understand what would happen after the fight. But my point is, if i had taken the time to think what would happen after the fight with school, and my mom at home. Iwould of changed my decision in a hert beat.

1BrianL said...

I do not know what I could say to this. It is difficult to pinpoint one thing, or even many things I live my life by. I say many stupid things like "when in Rome", or "you live once", or my favorite "you win some and lose some". Now I would not say I base my life off this statement but as general as it sounds, it is so right. I think about how often I am happy, which for some reason is about 5 days out of seven in a week. I break down my statement, "you win some", and I realize that I did many things the past 5 days, and most of them were positive and made me a better more confident person. There are also time "you lose some", like for example my failing English midterm grade. Really, I studied my butt off for my math midterm, and actually passed it, and I even brought my 36 up to a 78 throughout the marking period. That was really the only thing on my mind. Therefore, even though my parents were happy about the math, they will be quite displeased with my English. "Win some, lose some". Brings me back to being sad and happy. For the happy, I experienced, I had bad as well. even though I like that statement, however, I seriously can't say I base my life, or my future off of that because I go through a lot of different stages or feelings. The more I think about tithe more I realize that a saying cannot really map out my life at all. It could suggest some things, but I cannot apply it to my future. Unless you count being denied by mad colleges before, you are accepted to any. Really I just do stuff I regret quite often, and a lot of things I should regret but I don't, and that how I got to where I am now. I hope that it will push me to do great things.

stephen m said...

I don’t think I have ever had to truly think of what my fundamentals are and how they affect me. I think a good guide line I would like to guide me into life would be that I can do anything put my mind to no matter how hard it is. This is true for all things in my life however good or bad they are. I have done some great things that most people wouldn’t try due to the risks involved. I ride dirt bikes and one thing I really wanted to do since I was little was to do a supermen. Most people that ride dirt bikes won’t even jump them. However I love adrenaline. I worked and worked at pulling off this trick. I started with no footers and then started to slowly push them farther back and one day I went for a jump and I did it. This only one thing that I have put my mind to that I have accomplished this guideline has helped me through most of my life but I don’t think that only one guideline can lead a person through their entire life. However, this guideline when paired with the simple saying do on to others as you want done to you can lead more then one person. People are not only guided by what they believe but what their communities enforce. Most people find fault with the law. And would rather do things the way they want. This is not possible due to the repercussions. In essence most people are guided by fear with out even knowing it. When it comes down to the point of someone guiding their own life the law breakers are the only ones who guide their own lives everyone else is guided by what the state or government tells us is right. I am not saying that people who kill other people should be free to roam the streets. But their own guidance got them where they are thus they can blame their stat of life on no one else but themselves.

Paul H said...

Unless the topic is brought up i don’t really think about my guiding principles much. Yeah i have some but it just seems like an everyday part of life. it is not like i sit a ponder why i make the decisions i do. The way i was brought up is one of the big factors is my morals and such but there’s not really a set of beliefs that guide me. For most people their religion is their main guiding principle whether it be fear of their deity of even of the afterlife. Religion makes them think before they act and greatly affects their decision making process. For me it is something else. i am not sure exactly what it is but it is like an inner conscience. Also although i may have my morals they do not always kick in on time which leads to me acting out of character sometimes and leads to me making regretful decisions. it is not that i truly believe those principles but more of what i feel is right and wrong inside. if i had been raised differently i could have much different morals and a very different outlook on life. Principles are not always hard wired either. Sometimes an experience can cause you to feel differently about a person or something and make you question your morals. When you have to question your morals, for the most part, you should probably change your outlook on that subject. My beliefs are very close to me because it is my true outlook on things. It is only mine and no one else’s which make it very genuine. I came to recognize these beliefs more recently. Before high school there are not a lot of big decisions you have to make or questionable situations you have to deal with. Now that I am in high school I have had to make many big decisions which led me to see my true beliefs and morals.

stephen m said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thinking up guiding principles is almost as complicated as thinking up what you consider moral and immoral and if others approve of how you feel in order to be 'right'. everyone has got different perceptions on just about every little thing that exists on this earth and to have a guiding principle, I’m so used to my mother filling my head with weird Asian quotes about life and what you should do that will help you succeed in it. I was always told to do what is needed to be done (i.e. - go to school, graduate, get a good job as in doctor, lawyer, engineer, get married, make babies, grow old, and die.) and never go against what society or god says or thinks, yet we're in America now and it just seems like everyday the concept of god seems to be lacking more and more, doubt scours the brain constantly, and the society grows and turns against us more and more -- their people. Their people turn against each other and we tend to turn against ourselves. So back to guiding principle talks... hrmm... I would want to say 'give respect to be respected.' or that 'what comes around goes around' crap. But it just doesn’t seem to work out that way anymore. Karma just seems to bite everyone in their behind no matter how much 'good' you've done in this lifetime, it's like a rollercoaster... what comes up must always come down. Even what we talk about in class, the most precious and relative thing anyone and everyone could talk about -- love, which could even get ugly. Whether it's pure or whether it's just infatuation... life. Life gets ugly. I could come up with ten thousand guiding principles to follow, but in the end I always come down to the same thing -- appreciate. Because life is like a rollercoaster, the most beautiful thing in the world will turn hideous, even if it's for a second... and this is me being realistic, for real! Appreciate the little bit of innocence you have from like when you're a child, the mindset you had I mean. Because it seems like as you get older if you choose to go against the waves... it's just going to pull you in anyways. So I choose to accept realism than optimism or pessimism today because yeah, what good will it do for me if I am too much of one thing? Nothing as of my nature I presume. So I guess I found my core beliefs but choosing a guiding principle... I have yet to come by really. I think I have come close though Bunje, I really do think so.

kelso said...

I must say I have two guidelines that get me throught every passing day. The first, "follow your heart no matter the outcome" and second "always be a leader never a follower".
Over the years I've come to realize when you follw your heart you will be much happier, eventhough the outcome may not be that great you did something you wanted to do, that still made you happy. I never really use to listen to my heart because I always out so much thought into everything I did. i let my mind cloud most of the things i wanted to do. I thought about the outcomes of everything, thought about how my decisions would effect others, and I never followed my heart. When you don't follow your heart you're preventing yourself from doing what you really want to do. you begin to think logically instead of emotionally and what your heart desires,putting so much thought into it.
My next guideline, "you should always be a leader and never a follower". Being a follower you don't really get to experience anything for yourself. You restrict yourself from certain surroundings, you let fear consume you and stop you from moving on to new things. Your always constantly with a crowd or it could be one other person, but you depend on them for everything. you don't benefit from it really. Being a leader you do what you want and depend on no body. You may be the outcast from people's point of view but it's really not bad. Being an outcast you are different from everybody. When you are a leader you are dependent on yourself and no one else, so you get things done. I know what it feels like being a follower, i was one. i let fear stop from doing things i always wanted to do. However, i grown up and know better now. i depend on myself and no one else, I must say I am the outcast from everyone. i don't have one certain click of people I talk to and I'm a very unique, random, and unusual individual. Soeme people may not understand why i do or say things I do but thats ok, they don't have to. It's what makes me, me and keeps me from ever being a follower.

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty challenging question because I base my life through more than one guiding principle. Like you said before everyone has a story and throughout my life I’ve had to go through difficult times that has made me the person that I am today. I may not be perfect but I try to be the best person that I can be. One of my favorite guiding principle is “Blood is thicker than water.” I’ve realized that your friends are just people who can come in an out of your life. You may get into a fight with one of them and they have them backstab you. Somehow we all seem to forget that your family is always going to be your family and that no matter what you do or say, they will always be there for you no matter what the circumstances are. You should ALWAYS defend for your family even if one of your friends are in a huge fight with them because you never know what that “friend” might say behind your back.

Another guiding principle that I live by is “what goes around, comes around.” I have had so many people backstab me in my past. And they might have been people that I thought cared about me and that I trusted. But some of those people may have just treated me like no one has ever treated me before. Then they wonder why I don’t talk to them and just give them a smile when I see them. Well the answer is that I don’t want negative people in my life. I have better things to do than worry about that they have to say about me or any of my family members. I have been raised to be better than that and I will ALWAYS keep my head up high no matter what anyone has to say about me.

One last guiding principle that I also live by is “Live life to the fullest” I might have done some stuff in my past that my dad doesn’t approve of. But like I tell him, if I don’t make the mistakes on my own how am I going to learn from them. People make mistakes to learn from them and if you always look back and say “man, maybe that wasn’t such a good idea,” how are you ever going to learn. You need to experience life to know what you know is the right choice. Never look back and regret one of your decisions because that one bad decision that you made might lead up to something good in your life.

Mia said...

Actually no, I have never really thought about the guiding principles I use to live my life. However, one thing I do believe and follow is that in life you have to learn to forgive, but remember never to forget, and to live your life without regret. Theses are three important principles my life is shaped by daily when I actually think about it. This is also something I tell those who come to me for advice. To me, I cannot do one without the other two. When something goes wrong, yes one person may be wrong with out a doubt but depending on what happened you have the choice to forgive them. I think it is better to forgive because if you do not you just end up holding everything in, like the problem was not fully ended. Then after you forgive, you have to tell you’re self not to forget what happened so it doesn’t reoccur again. Because once you forget you, have the chance of what happened to happen again and hurt you three times worse. And the last part, live life without regret is very important. If you live life with regret, you will not be happy. You will spend the majority of your time thinking about what you could have should have would have done, when it is too late to go back. If you regretted it then that just means you really did not want to do what ever it was that you did. So when something comes across that I just do not know if I should have or not, I just say its too late if I did not want to go through with it then I should have never done it, so just let it go and keep moving. Because if I’m left just reliving everything that happened , it just makes it more depressing, so why go through that. I just look at it as if you did it you did it, now its just time to fix it or keep moving. Theses three principle really equally one to me, but broken down they get more in depth. Life is to short to be lived in sorrow. It should be lived with good memorable moments that one will never forget, so with theses three principles it just allows me to live my life in more peace , lets it flow more easily instead of getting stressed out.

BlakeR said...

I would have to say that the guide line that i live by, or lived by while football was going on was that hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. I lived by this for all of last year and i have to say it was the best year that i have had in my life. Everything was just falling into place. i didnt have to worry about finding a girlfriend, i went out did everything that i possibly wanted to do then. And that was all because my coach told me and i lived that way, i worked hard at everything i did and never gave up on it till i was happy with the way it was. i look at it is if i work hard for what i want then i would eventually find a way to get to it. When my coach told me this i was a junior so i was still was not at my full potential. i worked hard and found everything i wanted. Now i do not fallow that guide line anymore, but i do believe in another new one that i think fits my life more now. I know its sounds kind of gay and cheesy but its treat others the way you would want to be treated. I think that a lot of people do not realize what other problems are going on at other house holds. I don't like that there are other kids that "bully" and pick on other kids just to make them self feel better about them self. That causes a lot of kids harming themselves, loved ones, or other people. i know that i am a friendly person and i treat everyone with respect and kindness, the same way i would liked to be treated. I came to this belief because lately i have been hanging around a bad group of people who love to do nothing more than to sit around and talk about people behind their back. I think that it's stupid corny and wrong that they do it and know if other people would talk about them then everything would be wrong and there would be an argument. No one likes being talked about and its not the way they would liked to be treated so they should stop doing it. That is what i believe in more other than hard work over talent, even though it is still a good guide line, but becoming an adult i know i would have to use both of those guide lines to make it in life.

Anonymous said...

I beleave that one random act of kindness can start a nother and eventually change the world. I also beleave in giving back to all the people that have helped me and are helping me get to where I am today and beond. That is why I decided to become a fire fighter, to give back to not only the community but to the people who have helped me and still are helping me throgh my life. I was tought these beleaves in Boy Scouts and I still beleave in them. If we all did just one kind thig every day our world whoul be one step closer to being a better place. If respect and gratitude was shown to the people who risk there lives every day to keep us safe from fires, criminals, medical emergencies, and people who want to destroy our way of life the world would be a better place. I hold these beleafs strong and will never forget them no matter what happens because I beleave that one day the world will change for the better if we all come to gether.

Kirsten A said...

If I had to pick one thing that I live my life by I would have to say that it would have to be “be a leader not a follower”. So many people I know don’t follow what the truly want to do in their life they will just do whatever the it or cool thing to do at the time is just so they will get the image of being so called cool. While I’m sure at some point in my life I have fallen into this myself but I try my hardest not to. I very much dislike how people stereotype themselves for instance high school you have your jocks, the popular girls, the nerds, band geeks and so on. I don’t think any of that should mean anything if you fit in somewhere in life than you should be happy with it and don’t be ashamed. Too many people try to hide what they truly are just to please others. Peer presser does play a huge role in this. I have fallen into the good girl class if you could say because I don’t and refuse to drink or do anything of that nature and I am not ashamed to say that. People always say that they will never do something in their life and some how always manage to fall to it and that is one thing I can say that still has not got me yet and I am almost out of high school. I don’t like to worry about what other people are going to say or think about me. I am who I am and no one can change that but me. I try to live my life by that to not let others change who I am because I feel that I am perfect just the way I am and that everyone should feel that way about themselves.

monet tb said...

i cant say that i can capture them in my own words because first off there are to many. but one principle that i can give you is "living you life to the fullest" because at the end of the day its all about you and if your happy. because if your not the other people around you arent going to be and then your making them miserable. And you only have one life so why not live it to the fullest. Why else wood good put you here? to do the opposite, i dont think. the reason why i think its so important is because i feel god didnt give two legs just to walk he gave you them to travel. and he didnt give you two eyes just to see he gave you them to explore the unknown and he didnt give you a brain just to think he gave it to you to gain as much knowledge as possible and ect. But people know a days just it to what they think is there limits. they way i can use it throughout my life is when i have kids im going to take them to explore the world and show them that there arent no limitations to nothing as well there going to be well knowledge . just because many people cant experience it and they shuld. and many people dont even know about it because of they fact that they limited their selfs in life. But with me living my life to the fullest i wont have no problems nor will the people around me.

Anonymous said...

It’s the belief system that keeps us going on a day to day basis. If I was to grow with one guiding principle it would be that everything happens for a reason. I believe that with every event, every situation, it happened because of a reason. And with these certain situations I believe that you can always control the outcome. No matter what in life there are moments when we are scarred and when things happen that we may question. But I look at every aspect of life as a lesson. And with these lessons, no matter how tough the pain, or happiness, may be to bear; I know it will make me stronger because I got through it. Sometimes I think that God tests my strengths. It’s as if he pushes my limits in hopes to figuring me out. I believe there is a path for everyone in the end, but the way to get there is up to us.

Beliefs are very important.. They make you the person you are, and form you into the one you wish to become. Of course we have more than one belief, but for me the main one is that everything happens for a reason. There have been a lot of things in my life that have tried to put me down. There have been a lot of unfortunate surprises that have tested my ability to stay strong in any situation. I also believe that when something doesn’t go the right way, you have the power to make it better. When I say the right way, I don’t mean the way it was supposed to go as planned, but the “right” way; whatever that means to you.

My whole life I’ve been struck with the lightening of fear. Fear of being who I wanted without restrictions. My goal in life is to be happy and successful. Although, with what I believe, I wouldn’t capture my dream by any means necessary. I won’t cheat my way to the top, for then what have I really accomplished? Now days, people go far because of who they know. Unfortunate for me, I don’t know anyone, leaving everything up to me. I believe I can fight my way through to the top. I know there will be times when things get in my way, but I will never give up. Because if I believe anything, it’s that I am who I make myself, and there’s nothing that can stop me from being me.

melissa gu said...

Reading all of the quotes that you gave us was very inspirational and the one that stood out for me was the one that said that everyone has something to teach us. That quote made me think about all the adults in my life and what they do to teach us. Like my parents, they try to teach me how to live a better life by their example. Then that started to make me think about getting a job and all the work I’ll have to do in order to keep my job and my grades up at the same time. Well, anyway back to the blog, my guiding principle is that you should always be responsible for something; otherwise your life is nothing. What I mean by this is that if you’re always mooching off of other people and just sitting on a couch doing nothing or anything else on those lines your life isn’t going to have any value, any kind of success I mean other than having the ability to go through life not have to lift a finger. With having responsibility you get a life with less nagging, people will get off your back because they trust you and your abilities. People will trust you when you want to do something like travel the country with just your friends or getting the promotion at your job. It’s like having the rock lifted off your back and you can take those first steps into becoming an adult. When I first learned about responsibility it was hard to get use to. Like when I first started to volunteer I had to wake up early and get to the place to get everything ready for the class otherwise the class wouldn’t start. Now after working there for about five years I get up feeling proud that I kept up with it for that long and I didn’t quit. It’s the same with school I have the responsibility to do my homework, listen to what the teacher’s have to say, and always go to school. Since I have done this I get better grades, I also get a better chance to get into a college that I want. Speaking of college since I have shown great amounts of responsibility my parents trust me enough that they are letting me go to a college that I love that is about 13 hours away from home. They know that I will have the knowledge to tell what is right and what is wrong and they trust me to live on my own.

Nicole L said...

Over the last few years i have grown to live by a phrase a very close person has told me "just go with it". To me this means you can't always control whats going to happen to you in life so when it comes at you just go with the situation. Sure you can decide what color shoes you wear, but can you control that car that just drove by you and splased you, and now your soaking wet? So instead of being in a bad mood,crying, and ruining the rest of your day you mine as well dry your pants on and continue on with your day. Or hey maybe it was hot out and you could of used that splash of water ;) I think alot of peoples problems are when one bad thing happens in their day they think their whole day is horrible, and i can tend to be one of those people. I have seen people get so mad over the most stupid things such as getting a stain, or maybe more important things such as getting an F. trust me i am the queen of getting F's on math test and i have learned to deal with it. I can study for 10 hours and still get an F, but that doesn't make me give up, instead i just make sure i do all my homework and classwork to keep my grade up. Another thing i believe this quote means is if something random comes along in your life do not be scared to take a risk and try it. What the harm? Sure, maybe its not the best decision but life would be pretty damn boring if we all just constantly listened. Sure we all know we shouldn't go to partys, or drive with more then 1 person in the car, but we do it just so we can say we can. I'm the type of person that will most likely try anything once, and thats just going with it. If a new or random situation comes around take the chance and go with it. I'm not saying if you have the chance to do drugs go out and do it, i'm saying fun things. Like if you were scared of roller coasters and you had the chance to go on it go. Trust me i spent about 9 years not going on rolercoasters until my best friend danielle finally got me on one, now i do not regret it at all. Or if you are having a lame night just driving around keep driving it could be an adventure.

Another phrase i live by is "You live you learn You love you learn
You cry you learn You lose you learn You bleed you learn You scream you learn". Hmm not so much a phrase but just some lyrics from alanis morissette. NO MATTER what you do in life you always get something out of it a.k.a life is a learning process. Over the years the tears i cried, the yells i yelled, the love i gave all taught me something, but the main thing i learned is people can take everything from you except your character. Your character is something you spent your whole life building and for once its yours. Sure you can own a car or house, but miss a payment and that could be gone. Your character is free, but also very valuable.

So basically i believe everything we do or go through is a learning exprience. If we didn't cry,love,yell,live, and crash where would we be? How would we know right from wrong? OR most importantly how would we LEARN. just remember everyday no matter what your doing you are learning. And don't be scared to take risk, or if your doing something that normally isn't in your agenda just go with it. Whats the harm of trying new things? NOTHING. Whats the harm of not trying new things? You'll always be scared to step out of your bubble, and you will not learn how to handle other situations then the ones your familiar with. SO just go with it.

JessL said...

I think I have unique beliefs that take chunks from other beliefs in order to create one big belief for myself. I think that not one belief is right, so why not use all of them. I like to consider myself independent, so I kind of like to remember and believe that I am my #1 priority. I will do what will benefit me and help me along to get to my goals. I hope that doesn’t make me seem self-centered, because I do like to listen to others and try to help them out too. You need people around you so you can broaden your ideas and views to learn things that could help you in the future. Lots of people I’ve met and became friends with have taught me a lot of lessons and I always feel good when I help them out or give them advice. I don’t ignore others because I believe everyone will benefit me or teach my something. My belief or saying that I try to live by, in my own words, would be, “Learn from yourself and others. Learning is the key factor to grow stronger and powerful”. I really think learning is what will make me go far in life and be able to reach the certain goals I have. I can learn from everything I encounter in life, so I try not to miss out on anything. This belief is important to me, because it will help me get through life and complete goals. It can open up my world to all kinds of possibilities by learning things from all kinds of views. As I journey into adulthood, all the things I learn will somehow be used in life. The more I know and the more experiences I go through will help me come over all kinds of obstacles so I can be powerful and then teach others what I have learned, such as my children. I became to realize this belief not too long along, actually. Near the end of Junior year, when everything about college and the future was down-pouring on me, I realized my belief to deal with life. I realized I needed something to go by that could get me focused in life and concentrated on goals. Without something to go by, I would probably be lost and going crazy about what’s going to happen in the future. But instead, now I’m calm and so ready to start college and graduate and live life by learning from everything I can.

Anonymous said...

I base my life on a few guiding principles. The first one is not to judge anyone before u meet them. I hate when people talk about people that they don't know. It could be the wrong person to insult. That person could be crazy and blow up the school or try 2 kill others because they aren't secure with themselves. I see people get insulted on a daily bases at Oakcrest. I think that is so rude. I know i am not perfect but i try not to make fun of people before I meet them. Thats something that I have been doing this whole year. What happens if that person you made fun of in high school is the president of a corporation you are interviewing for. That person could be very petty and wont hire you because of what you did in the past. No matter how much your have changed and matured. Another side of you being rude and ignorant is that person committing suicide. You have know idea what that person is thinking. You do not know what has happened in that persons life. The person could become a serial killer and you are first on the hitlist. That is important to me because i used to get made fun of a lot wen i had my braces on. As soon as i got them off i felt like people treated me different. I wasn't getting made fun of and also more people started to talk to me. I started making new friends and changed my style. I know how it feels to be the person that is being made fun of. It doesn't feel good and you want to get out of there and become what people call"cool." That is one of the principles that I live by. I try and follow that principle on a daily basis.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle U said...

I would have to say that yes, I have thought about guideline principals I would like to live my life by. I truly and fundamentally believe that life is too short, and although some days it is so hard to get out of bed, you need to try whatever you can to make yourself HAPPY. But, it is very hard for me. I always tell myself that you need to cheer up, or that you need to stop worrying about other people and do what makes you happy. But, I can’t. It’s just something I would like to live my life off of. I want to be thought of as a happy person, who can make any situation fun. But of course, I’m not. I seem miserable all the time, I’m shy, I give unintentional dirty looks, and I just seem soooo boring. Anyway, a saying I like try to live my life off of is “Do whatever makes you happy. Try not to lose focus on the good things in your life. And, make your life worth remembering.”
The reason I try to live my life by this is because of my yearbook quote I found earlier this year. It says “One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching.” After reading that I realized that I don’t want to look back at any point in my life and remember that I was sad, or that I wasted too much time over something I couldn’t go back and change. I want to remember that I had fun no matter what I did. I want to look back and realize that the choices I made made me who I am. But also, I don’t want to waste my time focusing on the past. I need to start moving forward, and be happy no matter what. And it does seem like a good idea to do whatever makes you happy, but I’ve learned that sometimes you need to think about how you’ll be happy in the future with the decisions you make. I learned this because I use to always choose decisions I thought would make me happy, but actually just put off being sad for the moment, and not focus on getting happy sooner. Although it seems like my “principles” are so ordinary and dull, I really do think that you need to live your to make yourself happy. Don’t ruin someone else’s happiness to make you happier, but just be more positive because “Happiness a journey, not the destination.”

Anonymous said...

Up until now, I've never actually sat down and thought about what the guiding principles in my life were. After reading this blog over and over again, I came to realize two important things that shape around my life. One of them is everything happens for a reason. Rarely I regret the things that I do and that have happened in my life. I've learned to accept things how they are and just deal with it. From past experiences, I've discovered that there is a lesson to be learned in everything, good or bad. Even if the situation is bad, I know that bad things must happen to a person in order for them to see or discover the good. So in other words, everything that goes on in life is like a test to see what you are made of. I strongly believe that God puts you through tests to see if you really have faith and trust in him for yourself or if your just a follower or poser. I had recognized this at an early age and have seen that if you have trust in him, you will make it through the hell or nightmare that you are in. Another thing that I believe in is you reap what you sew. If you are the kind of person that is conscious of your actions try to help everyone out the best way you can,you will get rewarded with something. It may not be something that you expected, but it would be nonetheless still good. Now if you're the type of person who is rotten to others and a complete reprobate(using a vocab word lol),nothing you have ever worked for will turn out right. Myself, I try to be generally nice to everyone because I don't want to have bad luck in a sense. I'm not really certain on when I started believing in this; I'm cartain that my parents had instilled this in me when I was little. Before I was curious to see if this was actually true and so I decided to test it out. One time I had went to this one lady's house to help her clean since she was in a wheelchair. I would vacum her floors, re-organize and organize her files,books,etc. After I was finished, I would just sit there and talk to her. One days when I had went over there, she had gave me a christmas card. When I had opened it up, there was a lot of money in it. I never expected her to give me anything. So needless to say,this is when I really started believing in you reap what you sew. The one guiding principle that I would like to shape my journey is to never step over anyone to get to where I want to go. This is kind of on the same line as the previous things that I had said earlier. The reason I had chose this because some people just get overly-focused on their dream and they think that in order to achieve it, they have to deceive people. This is something I think that most people should have so that they won't become a conniving person, because the only thing that will come out of that is a whole lot of bad karma.

Mike said...

Bunje, thank you so much for giving me an opportunity to rewrite a blog I already wrote last year, at almost exactly the same date no less, I can definitely think of things that I believe, that’s quite easy, but determining which of those beliefs determine who I am and why I do thing s is a little more challenging. So after giving much thought to the question I realized that my most important belief is my belief in the importance of the pursuit of knowledge, which sounds really corny and overenthusiastic, but one of the few things that really irk me is not knowing why or how. Which brings me to second important belief, which is to avoid getting upset over stupid things; I have never been overly fond of drama and spend most of my time trying to avoid it so I can be left alone to read my book, whatever it happens to be at the moment. My recent experience in South Africa has served to further reinforce this belief, there are things in the world worth being upset over that any problems I might have pale in comparison. I was fortunate enough to meet with refugee children who had left their life, which for most of them included their families, behind in order to seek something better, and every day they were willing and eager to come to school and learn, because for them education is a permanent escape from the poverty they have been fleeing for their entire lives. So many things that are happening today have curiously similar mirrors in the past and so I feel that having accurate knowledge of the past is the best way to be prepared to deal with the problems of the present and plan for problems in the future. And my most important truth I live my life by is you can never have too many books. Ever since the tender age of five, my family has been making almost weekly trips to the library, as a result of these trips there has been a constant flow of books to and from my home many of which I was responsible for.

Anonymous said...

“Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for you country.” This is most likely the most famous quote by the United States president John F. Kennedy. I didn’t hear this quote and than right away change my life in order to fit what it had to say but actually this quote actually fits my life as is. The reason that this quote relates to my life so well is because of the fact that I take it out of context and relate it to other things than just my country. Although my country is a large portion of my life and most likely an even bigger portion of my life in the future because I’m joining the military when I get old enough but you can take this quote and use it in many different applications. I not only use the word country but you can replace it with anything that you want like Family or Friends or really anything.
I tend to try to live my life like this to the best of my ability. I want nothing more than to put everything else in my life before me. I don’t like relying on people to be there for me. Also when people do rely on me I try to pull through for them and get what they want done, done. I hate thinking about myself, and only myself. You can’t get through life by yourself, although most people do believe that. You get through life with the help of others, no matter what (as they say in marriage “through sickness and in health”). And hopefully you will get what you give in return, although it doesn’t happen like that all the time.
If you notice through out high school that’s mainly what they are trying to teach us, and this year for our three day curriculum project, we just so happen to be giving back to nature. But the school is always trying to tell us to give back to our community through can drives or even when the homecoming court was raising money for cancer research. Everywhere you go in life it’s always about giving back, besides you never know when you might (hopefully not) need the money that you helped raise for cancer, or the cans you gave to the food drive.
As much as I hate it sometimes, my ex-girlfriend will give her left over change from her very frequent trips to Wawa, into those donation jars. And I at first always though she was just throwing away her change, until one day I actually realized what one of them was for, and it was actually helping out her sister (who has epilepsy). She just doesn’t donate on the times that the nervous system donation can is there. When they have the paper balloons, yes she’s one of the ones that buys them. She doesn’t believe she helps out the community a lot, but sometimes every penny counts.

shantab said...

"Live everyday as if it was your last". I guess you could say this quote would be my moto and something i abide by in life. Its these guiding principles that i try and live my life by. I think about this constantly, and I try to take as many oppurtunities as possible, because you never know which will be your last. I came to recognize these beliefs when my cousin anthony died a couple years ago. He was a cople years older then me but despite this me and him were really close. He has just found out he was having a baby and the next day he got killed. His death was completly unexpected and shocked my entire family. I realized that something like that could happen to me, so while im "alive" I need to enjoy whats left of my life. Thats also the excuse I use for going to parties every weekend =]. I think that all the obstacles in my life, have helped me value these set of principles even more.

Not only do I live by that set of morals, but I also live by the one you provided us with in this lovely blog. "Everyone, no matter how seemingly insignificant, has something to teach us". When it comes to this guidline, senior year has really been a big example. It seems like everyday, every period, no matter who it is..... i learn something from. Whiether it be good or bad. In some way shape or form, will better us.

Because of these set of morals , i've lived a happier life.. and took everything people tell me as a lesson. These guidlines will hopefully, make me enjoy life more in the long run .

Anonymous said...

Thoughout my life I have always been a religious person. I have always tried to follow the way the bible state we should act as people on this earth. And the way GOD says we should act alive or not. So basically when it comes down to it, I base my life principles on the way that I was thought as a christen. people always ask me why I live my life like this but that's just what I believe. it the way I hope to bring my kids up, and to carry out my life in peace of mind and delight. the bible is basically the guide to my life.

Pete D. said...

My principles could seem a little hard for even myself to locate and describe. Sometimes I have no idea as to what I believe in or how I feel about something. However the one thing that I do know about myself is to try and make others happy. Laughing always seems to be the thing I strive for when in a public environment, because if you can make someone happy they will most likely like you in return. At least this is how I used to be all the time, but sometimes there are situations when I cannot hold back my anger or intolerance of something and I just let myself loose. Let me ask this question to you, have you ever actually seen me mad or has anyone for that matter? The answer for many would probably be no, but for the select few who have seen it they know it is not pretty sight. Still having said this I can say that being an enjoyable person to be around and making people smile is one of the most important things to me, even if it makes me look like a fool sometimes attempting to get a laugh out of a person.
Another belief I used to always try to keep near to me was that I tried to be well liked by everyone, no matter who you are. To the extent in fact that I would put schooling second on my list to being vastly known and acquainted with many people that attend our school. From the day I stepped into Oakcrest I wanted to be someone that everyone had heard of, but not in a bad way, just a kid who they thought was cool. However, don’t let this make you think I was pretending to be someone else just to fit in or would do anything anyone asked only to be liked. No. I had self dignity and just focused on being a nice kid with an awesome personality. But with this said, I should also say that school was neglected quite often and I would occasionally lag behind grade wise which is not good at all. Sometimes I wonder what is more important, friends or school, but as time goes on I realize I’ll have friends forever even after school. If I mess up in school then the rest of my life will be a struggle, so I really need to try and change myself as far as priorities like this goes.
These are really the only two major things I can think of right now, perhaps it is because I drew a complete blank on this blog, or maybe I really don’t follow too many guidelines, and just live life differently everyday. When I read what Emily row said “sometimes it seems like every time you start to believe something, it has a funny way of proving you wrong.”I can say that I also agree with how Laina believes this too. Why put all of your faith into something just to have it shot down? Keep yourself free of beliefs that could possibly prove to be false in the future because you are only going to get hurt yourself.

John L. said...

I’m sorry bunj but this time I won’t be able to live up to this challenge. For me it is impossible to choose “one” guiding principle that I would like to live my life by. To be completely honest I can’t even narrow it down to a few.

When I look back on my life and all of the decisions that I’ve made, good and bad, I never look back on the choice that I made and say “well you win some you lose some” or before making a decision I never think “I should live everyday as if it were my last”. When faced with a difficult decision I simply make the choice that feels right. I think that the way I was raised and the morals that have been instilled in me from an early age have a lot to do with this particular topic. I was raised to follow my instincts and to do what I believe is right. I try and live life the way everybody should, I strive to be the best person I can be, which means I try to be polite, well mannered, kind, honest, and try to restrain from judging people who I do not know. All of the things that I have just listed are things that I hold in high regard. Especially not being honest and refraining from being judgmental. These two things are particularly important to me because of the simple fact that I hate seeing people being deceitful and dishonest, and I hate when I see people judging someone when they know nothing about that person. IT ERKS THE SHIT OUTA ME! I cannot wrap my head around why people are so compelled to judge and lie. One reason I think it is impossible for me to understand this is because it is the complete opposite from who I am….

So to get back on topic, there are no sayings or quaint little phrases that I can think of that define the way I live or guide me through life, there are just the morals that I carry with me. I don’t need a saying like “everything happens for a reason” or “it gets worse before it gets better” to get me through the day, I just go through life trying to use my better judgment and hope everything works out alright.

Vincent Q said...

After thinking about this blog all day I came to realize my one true guiding principle is to have fun. Having fun is the one and only thing I truly care about. Its what gets me through my day. I try to have fun with everything I do. I try to have fun when imp in school by just being with friends and being my crazy self. I enjoy going to school because I have a lot of fun. If I didn’t have fun, I would still go but I would hate going and I would probably be mean and pissy. All thought the week I always look forward to the weekends which is where I have the most fun. Whenever im upset about something during the week I just think about the up coming relaxing weekend im going to have and I feel a lot better.
Having fun is the one thing that really I need in my life, without it I would have no reason to live. I try to appreciate whenever im having fun and never take it for granted because I know at any moment fun can end. One of the reasons I have fun a lot is because I get entertained very easily which probably is because I have a very good imagination. It takes very little to make me happy and whenever im happy im always having fun. My good imagination makes a lot of fun for me like when im at work I try to make a game out of the things I do so I get done quicker and I have more fun. It also makes time go by way faster and makes work a lot more enjoyable.
One of the keys things to having fun is staying positive. If you have a positive attitude and know your going to have fun then you are, but if you have a bad attitude and think you not going to have fun then odds are your not. That’s another reason why I have fun a lot because im always positive about everything and always looking on the bright side of things. I never really thought about my guideing principles until today but looking at it im very happy with mine and think it’s the best one anyone can have.

williama said...

I think that I would have to say that I have never really thought of what guiding principles in my life are. But if there had to be something that I lived by I think it would be do the best that you can and if you put your mind to into it then you can do anything. I think this is the most simple thing and probably the most common among people. You always hear people saying that if you try your best then that’s all that matters or if you put your mind to it then you will accomplish your task. I can see that this is true in different things that I do like when I ride my bike. When riding I try to learn new tricks whenever I can. I never stop until I get it. And when I do get the trick I try to get it three times in a row before I will stop. I think that shows me putting my mind into the trick and if trying hard enough and giving my all I will usually land the trick. Now when it comes to life decisions and choices I kinda just take life as it comes and do what I have to do to get by. I just always try to do my best as what I am doing. I think that these beliefs or guiding principles will be able to take me through my life. Everyone is faced with so many problems and obstacles in one day. If I can keep the mentality to put my all into something and not give up then I feel that I can really accomplish whatever I want. It all matters on how hard I try and how much effort I put in. its kinda like they say you get back what you put in. so if I put 50 percent into something I will probably get a half assed outcome. But if I put 100 percent into what I am doing then my out come will be good

Sam S said...

I have never actually taken time out to sit back and think about the guidelines in my life. Of course there are the ones like getting homework done before I go in the hot tub so I finish it, but no statement or fact I believe. There actually is one this I have lived by since I was 13, but I won’t spill that in a blog response. SORRY. If I had to choose something not so personal to use as a guideline for adulthood I would probably go with every thing happens for a reason. That has been convincing me forever, but I never hard core believed it but it seems I am starting to. When I fully and whole heartedly believe this I do believe it will mean a great deal to me. There have been many times when I wonder why that certain thing had to happen to me like my near accident. At least instead of questioning it I could spend more time realizing what happened and hope that I am not the one chosen for such a situation again. This is really hard to think about since I have no real guideline from any part of my life. Even having worked on this thought since Monday, I have not figured out one thing important that I want to live by and the only thing I live by is too personal to be posted. So as for the one thing I kind of believe, I think in the near future it would be held near to me because I tend to over think a tragedy, a grade, or a night out. I get to the point where as I mentioned I question why everything happened. Well I just started that like a month ago, but its progressing slowly. I see that as over thinking the subject and a killer headache so if I know that everything that occurs has a reason, I can live my life with a better focus than always asking myself WHY?! The other belief I hold near because I had a bad experience and it came about and I stand by this with no thoughts because it will keep me safe and secure from what I went through before. I would guess the reason I don’t believe much is because I am always scared that lies will be thrown in and one time it’ll bite me back and it will be horrible. As I attempt to learn to trust everything happening with a reason or any other thought that may enter today next week or even next year, I don’t think I’ll ever lose the fact of being scared to trust a guideline, a quote, or a principle of life.

Roodly A said...

to tell you the truth i never took the time, to figure out the guiding principles of my life. i knowi have many but i never thought about it but since iam here,my whole life, i would never judge someone by their looks. its kind of like " dont judge the book by its cover ". i can never judge someone without meeting them, i dont think its right, you should always get to know a person before you jedge them. this is like reading a book, when you first pick up a book, you look at nothing but the cover and some people that dont like the cover of the book dont even bother to open the book and read a little about it. my whole life i found out that if you think somthing is ugly or whatever you should look in it,find more things about it, and hey maybe you'll start liking it. i have seen alot of crazy things in my life. i seen people insult other people and than laugh about it, i mean how could you do that you dont even know the person but yet your insuting them. just because their wearing glasses, or because their chubby, or wear their jeans extra extra tight that dont mean you have to insult them or make fun of them, you dont even know the person, they might have a great personality, or idk funny and your just crushing them, i dont think thats cool. sometimes i think to myself what would you do if someone insulted you in anyway,,,, i proable turn into crazy mode and attack everybody lol sike but thats not cool though people shouldnt judge others if they dont know them.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I never stopped to think about what my guiding principles in life would be. I admit that I have dabbled into this subject, but I never went deep into this subject where I could truly find an answer. I guess today is the day where I guide out my future, unless I fail horribly and have try all over again when it is too late because I would probably be 30-something. Well I do know that I try to live by a lot of those "corny" clichés. Most of the time it works, except when I completely forget that I am following this cliché and completely mess up, again. An example of one of these clichés is, "Live life to the fullest." I guide myself on this cliché a lot. The reason is because I have to remember not to take life for granted. There are times when I just get mad at people and don't talk to them for a while. From there I just cut all of the world off. I usually call this stage of my life "going solo". The only remember for this is just me going out and doing something fun, or worth spending my time. I also try to guide my life on another cliché, which is simply quoted as "on my grown man". This is basically saying that I going to live right. Anything that is young and immature, I am going to leave behind me in the past. It also states that for now I now on I will only partake only in things that will benefit my future. There are a lot of people I know who are trying to guide their life on this cliché, simply because they messed their life up, and need to do any and everything thing to help better their life as fast as they can.
I guess I after explaining both of these clichés I have no choice but to guide my life by it. It may not fully fit what I go through, but it is very helpful. It is either those clichés, or the guide my life on the cliché, "be original". Being original is something I think that I do very well know. There is no way you will find another person like "Ponce". Either way, I feel that all of these clichés suit me very well. Whatever I plan to guide my life on, I feel that I will be successful at whatever.

JordanK said...

Ive never taken the time to sit down and think about the guiding principles in my life, now that ive done that i still couldnt come up with anything good. i dont want to be cliche but i go with the flow, what ever happens, happens. Its the way its supposed to be and everything happens for a reason in my eyes. The beliefs that shape my decision when i find my self that i have to make one is what will best suite me and those around me, if it comes to it i will go by my life quote ' its a dog eat dog world'. you have to do some things to get the things in life you want. That quote is by no means cocky or conceited it comes down the the littlest of decisions as well, whether it be im late for work and need to cut someone off to get that close parking spot or it be something more serious like yu cheat to get yours. It is a dog eat dog world, you may not agree with that but no matter what people live by that.

On days that i dont feel like being a jerk and in a dog eat dog mood i will base my decisions on the best interest of my friends. We are all losing it at some time, and confused not knowing what to do and bad life decisions will come out of that but i try to base my answers and decisions off something that the outcome will not offend anyone.

..... Writing this blog mad me realize that i base my decision on what im writing at this moment off the song that i am listening too. Throughout this blog, without even noticing it, i have put lyrics in it and was in a good/bad mood which you can tell if you read the blog clearly. Aparently music is the main factor that i base my decisions on because they put me in the mood i am in for the day.

Katherine B said...

When I first read this a couple days ago I honestly had no idea of what I wanted to say, I mean of course I had ideas, because after all it is my life and I have made some rather interesting decisions, but nothing I could say that I would base my life on.

Today I have come to realize, just in time for the blog to be due, that I base my life on one thing and it is the happiness of others.

For example, today I was in the worst mood ever, I didn't even want to wake up. But I went to school and pretended everything was okay.

Another example is my grand parents funerals, I didnt cry, I couldnt cry, because I had to be there for my mom, I needed to be strong for her, and I susceeded in that, but I am feeling the reprocussions of that decision now, unbeknownced to everyone else. Even you Bunje said that I seemed fine, but the truth is im not ok. I just live to keep people happy even if it means I have to supress what im feeling and put it off until later. I like keeping people happy, and I will even if it kills me.

marcus m said...

I believe and have always believed that once you have gained someone's trust you should never do anything to loose it. That is why I try my absolute hardest to never lie to anyone. Trust in someone is one of the most important things that a person can share. Breaking someones trust is like telling them that they have no real importance to you. It means they do not care enough to even tell you the truth.I realized that I felt this way from a very young age. It would have to of been since the words trust and lie were taught to me that this principle of mine was created. I try to believe that at least one good thing can come of every situation. I have to always look on the brighter side of things, because if not I would walk around sad all of the time. This is something that I try to keep in mind whenever a bad thing happens. There have been times though when I have failed to do this. I realization this around five years ago, when being sad for along time about a family member dying did not in any real way change the situation. Trust and being happy are two of the most important things in th world to me. There is one principle that I really hope that I will live my life by, which is living everyday like tomorrow all of the positive uplifting things in my life will all disappear,so I should enjoy it while I can. As well as not taking any single little thing for granted. This will be my hardest task ever because the words maybe tomorrow always come from my mouth even though I believe that cherishing everyday is what I should do. If my adult life is shaped after these three aspects then my journey will be a pretty smooth one.

kyle w said...

Honestly, I have never thought about my guiding principals. This does not mean that I don't have any guiding principals, it just means that those principals are so basic, that I don't have to think about them. Now that I am thinking about it, my one guiding principal is life is too short to live in the past or in the future. I get this principal from my parents. They always taught me to not get too caught up in my mistakes. Some people make a mistake and live their whole life regretting that decision. When I make a mistake I learn from it and then move on. Other people are always thinking about the future and their live passes them by.

This belief is very important to me. It is good to know that even when I make a bad decision, I will not let that one mistake destroy my life. This belief helps me live my life without regret and without anxiety, which is a good way to live.

jesskeating. said...

There is actually one phrase that I came up with while I was thinking about what tattoos I would like to get one day and that is, “Over time, fear will always subside.” After I thought up this phrase, I fell in love with it and actually stared thinking about it more often and how it applied to my life, until it ended up becoming the guideline for my day to day experiences. I am always constantly in fear of everything, even the simplest things because I tend to blow them way out of proportion. Even the things and people that mean the most to me in life leave me curled up in a ball of fear not wanting to move. Fearing something is a way for me to know that I care enough to second guess myself just to make sure that I am going to make the right decisions. Once I do make the right decisions in my mind, the fear subsides. One thing that I fear is becoming a failure to my family and that fear drives me to push myself further to become that much more successful with whatever I do, even if it is only a smidge more than I was before. I also do not want to fall into the same traps that almost all of my friends have. They barely got through high school, which means they definitely did not continue on to attempt college, have no jobs, and just sit around at their parents house doing drugs and only god knows what. I do not want to be like that, ever and the fear of becoming like one of them makes me not become one. I want to make something of myself, not only just for self pride, but also to help others and make an impact in their lives. I feel as though if I am not able to do so before that time I die, my life will be meaningless. I know I will never know how I will do so until the day comes, but I really would not like to live my life without impacting others (maybe one day writing a book). Another big thing that I fear is not becoming completely happy with myself. If I am not happy with myself and cannot make myself happy on my own, then no one can ever make me truly happy. That is one of the biggest battles I must over come and still have no idea where to start, which scares me even more. Overall, my life feeds and revolves around fear as I feel everyone else’s does also, but only mine and a selective few realize that we stare fear straight in the eyes every day, every minute of our life. Fear is also a very fearful thing that I fear as ironic as it is.

Anonymous said...

I believe that you must believe in yourself, believe in being true to yourself or else nothing is really worth believing. If you can't put your whole heart into something than you have to take yourself out of it. “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it”(Buddah). If there was ever a quote or cliche that defined what I believe in and why, this inspirational quote by Buddah would definately be it. Everyones lives are defined by our beliefs although i've learned belief comes only with faith. If a persons beliefs can be swayed or some how altered then it really shouldn't be considered a belief. Like Buddah stated you shouldn't believe in things simply for the act of believing but because in some way your belief and faith will benifit your well being. Personally I find it a little challenging to write about the things I truely believe in because, unfortunately, I've let my beliefs be swayed by others at times. Even though I doubt my own beliefs every now and then there is one or two beliefs of mine that will never be swayed. I believe in a free and peaceful way of life and I believe in independence. Odd beliefs right? Usually, in my opinion, people relate beliefs to moral codes that people keep for themselves or religion but my heart doesn't lie in those types of beliefs. For as long as I can remember I have been taught the value of being free, living in a free country as a free citizen of the United States! Freedom is being able to live and it would be a devestating reality to wake up one day as a slave to a slave owner or forced to work in a concentration camp because of our "ruler." You can take away my clothes, you can take away my home, but you can not take away my freedom! Along with my passion for being free, I strongly believe in my own independence and that truely is a belief of mine that no one could change. I am my own person and I will depend on no one for anything because in the end who better to depend on then yourself?! Granted you may let yourself down sometimes but as an independent person you'll always know how to pick yourself right back up. My beliefs might not be text book beliefs like in God or following the Ten Commandments but as long as my heart is invested into what I believe in then its definately worth believing. A persons heart never lies! So close your eyes find that one thing your passionate about, the one thing in the world thats worth believing and BELIEVE!

Bill R said...

My beliefs have changed a lot over the years. I’m always trying to think in a new perspective and trying to see things the way others do. One of my main beliefs is that every risk is worth taking no matter how bad the consequence. This isn’t really the most intelligent way to view life but it leaves me with no limits, which I like. I believe that limits have no good purpose and they’re only there to hold you back. We only live once so we should make it a life worth living. Old age to me doesn’t seem too appealing so I’d like to try to live fast and die young with out missing out on life’s essentials. I believe that this life has tons to offer and if I don’t go out and experience all I can than shame on me.

Everyone has choices and if someone complains that things are unfair then that’s their fault everyone can change what ever path they go down no matter how bad their luck may be. Everyone can choose to learn how to manipulate life to their advantage no matter how bad they have it. I believe that material things have the ability to make your life seem better, but that can all disappear in an instant. Someone’s happiness really boils down to be their mind-set; if they want to be happy then they can make themselves happy. For me I hold on to pride and creativity to keep myself happy. Having the ability to create something beautiful such as music for me is one of the greatest gifts I could ask for.

I believe love isn’t for the young. Or at less not for me until I’m older. I think that love takes too much energy for someone my age to be worrying about it. As a high school student I believe that having fun if one of the most important things I can do right now.

The meaning of life for me is a chance for us to leave our foot print, to outlive ourselves, to become legends. To live without leaving some kind of reputation for people in years to come to talk about, isn’t what I would call living. To create a name in life is something that I think everyone should strive for.

I believe that everyone is temporary and that the only person you can really rely on is yourself. Not even your family is going to stick with you through every single thing. If, for some strange reason, I decided to pull a Hitler and try to start a genocide I doubt my family would back me up on it.

So to simplify it I believe that we shouldn’t hold on to anything; not people, not objects, not fear. Sorry for going cliché on you but I completely agree with the saying that “you can’t really live until you have nothing left to lose”. With nothing left to lose, you can do anything and no matter the outcome, you’ll come out a winner.

Mel said...

actually i never really have thought about the quiding principles in life, probally because we follow them everyday without noticing. i believe that everyone has something to learn from and everyone that i meet will effect my life in some way even if i dont realize it. i like to live my life listening more then talking, just for the reason that i might miss something and of course the fact im shy. but i believe in the butterfly effect and everything that is said or done either big or small will make a difference throughout the day. which leads to the famous saying everything happens for a reason, i also believe that this is true. even the worst possible things that happen to people are for a reason because no matter what we should take the one positive thing out of a negative situation and learn from it. there is a reason for everything you might just not be looking for the reason right away but soon realize that something happend because another thing ended. i have many different beliefs on how to live my life and most of the time just go with my instinc, which isnt always good. when i go with my gut feeling most of the time there is no thought put into it and later regret what i did, i try not to though. i just like to enjoy each moment in life and make decisions i feel is right for that situations, i dont like following guidelines to much. if i feel its the right thing to do then i will if not then i wont. there are alot of things that are important to me. and like u said i have a hard time explaning myself because i think about to much all at one time. =)

* i feel like this didnt make sense and i was just blabbing on. sorry if i was this was a really hard question to ask someone.

also the reason that this was late is because marriah distracted me with her movie quotes on facebook :) love ya bunje

Niah Grimes said...

Beliefs, I’d have to say I have a lot of beliefs and when I do believe in something I stand by it. I hardly ever go against my morals, especially when it comes to respect. I will use this blog to present a strong belief while venting a subject that is way past due.
Now I mentioned respect and I don’t mean respect others or you have to give respect to get it. Although I do believe you should respect others, you don’t have to respect others to get respect because the truth of the matter is you can respect the world and all of it’s creatures but get disrespected unless you respect one person…yourself.
My strongest belief one of the main one’s to guide my life would be respect yourself. I have seen a number of people be disrespected because they had NO respect for themselves. At the end of the day you only have yourself in this world and I would never let anyone disrespect that!
An old acquaintance of mine couldn’t quite grasp this concept. She let plenty of guys in particular walk all over her and she cannot blame anyone but herself because she let them. I couldn’t stand it I had more respect for her then she had for herself. Now and days young girls have a lack of self respect and it’s hurting them. Girls have become so fast that they’re giving guys a green light by letting them disrespect them. Each of us has a value and some people unfortunately didn’t have the opportunity growing up knowing that they had a value labeled priceless.
I was raised by two very strong individuals lucky for me. I know that people can only do and harm you as much as you let them, so instead of having no respect, respect yourself and others will know how far to push you.
Respect, I think, is a very smart guideline for adulthood simply because people are cruel. You will overcome a lot more if you have respect for yourself then the people who have no respect. Your reputation is a reflection of who you are, and the sleazy girls will fail. What it comes down to is don’t take shit from anyone. You must know your worth, and my worth is immeasurable, with an attitude like that I know I can succeed and go far in life.