Monday, November 17, 2008

The Meaning of Life...and stuff

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.---Buddha

Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired.--- Erik Erikson


What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful. --HH The Dalai Lama


Where there is love there is life. ---Mohandas Ghandi

Out of the four quotes above, with which one do you most identify? Interpret it and explain how you can relate or apply it to your life. If you don't like mine, find your own and do the same thing. (350 words/45pts)

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of the four quotes, Buddha’s quote is probably the one I could relate to most. The general reasons being that nobody is perfect and if we could only see the world a little bit more clearly and how beautiful it could be instead of constantly wishing how it’d be, be more grateful and appreciative of the ‘gift’ given to us a little more, any dark views we have of the grounds on this earth would be annihilated in a heartbeat. Since we’re about to get into the Christmas spirit soon anyways, I might as well use the story of Ebenezer Scrooge as a prime example. Even the smallest lessons that gathered up definitely gave up a different perspective on how the world is and how he should not be such a greedy man anymore. In my case, I’m a very reminiscent yet oblivious person I must say and I am more of a visual learner than anything. I base things on personal experience than other people’s experiences which sometimes I wish I didn’t. It would definitely save me so much more time but I don’t think I’d live life to the fullest if I was feeding off other people’s stories rather than my own. I have to admit, I’m definitely the kind of person that wouldn’t come to a realization until I get beat down with it. I guess I could say that I’m a deep sleeper since a single slap would still not wake me up. The upside to this is that when I do come to any realizations, I acknowledge it more than anything, keep that lesson within and use it very frequently in order to feel like I made more processed with myself. At first, I even tried to persuade my friends never to make the same mistakes as me but that would just make me a hypocrite and I know they are just as stubborn as I am, maybe even more so hey… good luck to them and hopefully one of these four quotes apply because they’re all pretty good quotes from various good sorts of influence.

Jared B. said...

It’s amazing how far the human resolve can push when armed with the hope of accomplishing something. I believe we receive our power from multiple sources; family, courage, will power and the works. However, it takes a strong force to push a person over the limit in order to reach a goal. That force is hope and it shines brightly in the hearts of every human life around us. Pretty cheesy sounding if I do say so myself, but it is a quote that can connect to all situations.

“Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired.--- Erik Erikson”
The essence of hope takes many names; I myself place it into a category with luck. It is a false feeling, the assumption that all things will work out the way we plan them. In truth this is next to impossible, but the idea of things working out fuels our morale. It gives us the energy to push onward and the confidence to do so proudly. No mission can begin without a goal and the hope that follows behind it.
To truly understand this, let us try to drift to a time without hope. Or more, let us imagine one. I say this because there has never truly been a time where people did not have some type of fuel pushing them forward. Even during the worst of times, the hope that better things will result encourage us to give it our all, even in the darkest hours. The Great Depression serves as the perfect example of such an occasion. America seemed to be lost to its own debt, people were losing their homes and rapid dust storms would rob farmers of crops and material, as well as food for the rest of their people. Who in their right mind would keep going after such tragic losses? The answer; any person would. For what reason; hope. It’s really as simple as that, all it takes to push people forward through the rough times is hope. The light at the end of the tunnel, we are drawn to it and strive to reach it, confident that we will reach it as long as we keep going. The present is proof of the result, though we ourselves are in a bit of a down with the economy. Our positive drive eventually carried us from the depression and into the future, just as it will do once again.
When the chips are down, what remains? The world has betrayed you, faith in everything hits rock bottom. Confidence is pushed aside and logic proves to foil any escape over and over again. Is there nothing for such a poor existence? Why would anyone bother to go through such rough times? Hope. Hope to be free, hope for a better life, hopes that everything will work to your advantage. Our own personal mental gas station and it comes at no price. As long as we as a person remain hopeful, there is nothing he can’t solve.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I often ask myself what is the meaning for life. There are two ways I look at life. The first being it is what you make of it, and the second simply that life is hell. Life is hell in the context that we urge to feel sorrow, and pain. For if the world was filled with happiness and unconditional love, then it would be boring and unrealistic. The idea of a perfect world is amazing, but the actual effect would be weird and unwanted.
On the other hand, I believe that life is what you make it. With every action there is a choice made in order to have the next action, or even a reaction. With these choices people can change the attitude of the event, or conversation. For example, the simple words, "I'm sorry" play a huge role in choosing what to say. Sometimes, even if nothing was your fault, you need to swallow your ride and apologize.
Within these four quotes I'd have to agree with The Dalai Lama when he said, "What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful." When I first read his answer to this question that has been trembling in my mind for quite some time, i had to stop and think. Honestly I never thought of it in those terms. After thinking about his answer in depth it occurred to me how correct it was. We are born, we help out, we live happy, we die. Some would say we live to die, which is also correct, in my opinion.
I could really identify with this quote in that I believe that you should love every moment as it was not only your last, but those around you. I don't like to argue and almost always when I do find myself in an argument, apologize right away. For example, if my best friend was upset with me because I didn't sit with her at lunch, I would talk to her. I would let her know my intention were never bad and I wouldn't try to hurt her feelings intentionally.
Life is filled with unfortunate events. I've learned this the hard way. But I've come to understand that life is hard, and if you let it, it will bring you down every chance possible. In life many things can go wrong, from surgery, to a death in the family, to hospital visits, but you have to keep going. Even if it all comes at once, you must keep trying to be all you can be. Even when no ones there to support you and you feel alone you must stay happy. With hard situations you must turn your frown upside down and make it a learning experience to better your life. Maybe even use to it your advantage. Dalai Lama was wise and I'm sure would agree with my favorite quote, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

ash tharp said...

i believe in mohandas quote because if you have in love then your are living. love is a powerful thing it can change a person in multple ways. it brings out so many emoptions that is is shocking but it a strong guide. people live life just to find true love. But there are many types of love in this world such as in romance, family, pets, our your passions bring love to you and can be shown to you in polyatomic ways. Love is powerful it can be the cure to bring happiness to a ominous surroundings. Love is hard to explain on how it effects life but it deffently does. To me love means alot i don't think i could be where i am at now if i didn't have love in my corner every day. my Family and my friends give me all the loving support i need to push myself to my limits or beyond them. If i didn't have love i wouldn't wanty to live. Love is a trigger for many people i believe that everyone that is important such as out presidents or scientist wouldn't be remebered or accomplished there miraculous goals if they never had love in their life. Tell me do you think you can live life if you never knew what love is?
Mohandas is a brillant person because he knows that love is the key to life and happiness. i wasn'r sure before what happiness was but i think i am learning everyday that love is a main trigger for happiness in life. it not money or be famous its be able to say that you have people who love and support any ideas you are thinking to persude now or in the future. i guess i am trying to say that if you have love then you will always have a way out of everything you are dealing with that is troubleing you just channel your love into what you hate so that you can conquwer it. love is important and it is important to everyone and people can't deny it. i believe this is what mohandas expressed in his quote well at least to me.

melissa gu said...

Out of the four quotes the one that I most identify with is, “what is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful.” by the Dalai Lama. This quote means that you’re happy and that you do stuff that makes you even happier. For example I am naturally a happy person, but creating and working on projects makes me happier. Also if someone needed my help I would be glad to assist them. Like at my volunteer job there are fewer apprentices this year and it makes me feel good that I was there to help out or at least keeping the place from falling apart. When I have nothing to do I feel like life is dragging on and on and it is very depressing. I guess I’m like that because when I’m bored out of my mind I feel lonely and loneliness is the worst possible thing to feel. Also I think I’m like that because everyone in my family works like crazy and always is helping everyone else out. Like my dad, when I was younger I always saw my dad helping someone get a mattress in their car or returning someone’s wallet after they have dropped it and my dad is always working either on the house or at his job. It probably grew on me that that was something that made people happy. Sometime I have too much to do and it makes me crazy, but at least it’s better than feeling alone. Or sometimes if I don’t have something to do, like when I’m walking in the school or trying to go to sleep, I sing in my head or plan what I’m going to do tomorrow. This sometimes it worries me that I’m going to turn out to be a workaholic, but if I do I think it wouldn’t bother me because at least I’m not someone who will be working at a job that they hate.

Mia said...

I read the four quotes , but it seems I cant identify my self with any of them. But a quote I do live my life by is “in life you have to learn to forgive, but remember not to forget and in order to live life happy , you have to live it without regret” This is one of my favorite quotes because to me its completely true. It basically means what it says. For instance in the first part you have to learn to forgive. Why, because if you don’t you won’t be happy due to the fact that your still holding it within yourself. In the second part, remember not to forget, just means that yes forgive the person who has caused you harm, but just try not to forget it so you make sure it doesn’t happen again. And the last part, live your life without regret just means that if you did something you wasn’t supposed to and you do it anyway, you must not have no care for your consequences so why regret?. If you do regret it then you’ll just be carrying it within yourself for ever and won’t be happy just for the fact that your wishing you never did it. Well this quote relates to my life in many many ways. Whenever I have someone steer me away from happiness I just relax my self and say life cant be lived in anger and shame, so just forgive them for what ever they did but don’t forget what they did so you can do whatever you can to prevent it from happening again. And when I was younger and didn’t know any better I used to always regret doing the things I did, or saying the things I said, but then I realized it wasn’t worth it, at all. If I would’ve regretted things I’ve done then I don’t think id be where I am now, id just probably still be thinking about it and feeling sorry, but like I said life cant be lived like that. Well I no I cant live like that. But that just my interpretation about the meaning of life.

JessL said...

All of those quotes can be true, but personally, I can most identify with the quote “What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful.” by HH The Dalai Lama. I think I speak for everyone when I say that everyone lives to try to make themselves happy. No one lives or does something to make them not happy. The whole point of each day is to be happy. Everyone looks for it and it’s basically the meaning of life. Happiness is the reason why people live. They look for happiness in their lives. Also everyone strives to be useful. We all want a purpose in life, otherwise we wouldn’t stick with life. Those who want to be left alone still strive to be useful in some ways and that’s just how life goes. It relates to me as well as many other people. When I think of this quote, I relate it for my short-term goals that I put up for myself each day. Goals easily represent parts of life that we set up to help use get through and be who we want. Even though I have different goals each day, the main idea of each one has the same purpose, or same meaning for my life. Each one if to be happy and useful that day. For example, if my goal for the day was to pass Bunje’s test, it’s to make me happy and useful. If I complete my goal, then I become happy. I also would be useful, because it shows I have intelligence to be able to help others. Passing a test can benefit peers and also the teacher. Any goal I come up with I believe the desired result is to be happy and useful. It’s the purpose and meaning in life for anyone to be happy and useful. If we had goals that weren’t meant to make us happy, then what would be the point of having goals? Surely not to disappoint ourselves and become angry. Also, if we thought we weren’t useful, we wouldn’t have the motivation towards these goals and we wouldn’t want to do anything if it didn’t help ourselves or others in life. Overall, happiness and usefulness are the two key components to the meaning of life. They are what people strive to have in life.

Anonymous said...

In order to understand Buddha’s quote “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change,” one must first understand the philosophy behind Buddhism. While the Buddhist philosophy can not be completely described in a few words, there are a few concepts that pertain to the meaning of this quote. Buddhism is about reaching enlightenment a pure sense of happiness and bliss. It is about awakening to a higher sense of consciousness that can only be done by freeing the mind of any obstructions through meditation, observation, or becoming present. This concept helps us understand that there is a deeper meaning to his quote; it is our current human nature to rush through life with little or no regard to our surroundings. Take for example a dandelion, a simple flower that we often find a nuisance and yank out of our green lawns. Its beauty is not so obvious for we classify it as a weed, yet it is still a flower like any other with its bright yellow petals that spiral outwards, still serving its purpose. However, Buddha does not speak of the nature or beauty of a flower; he speaks of its energy, its light, and its life. If we could slow down take a breath, observe, and appreciate the flower for what it truly is we could see the life in the flower. We would come to a realization that all things in nature are full of life. That life does not begin and end with us, but in the smallest particles of life that play an equally important role in the universe. With this Buddha means if we could embrace all living things then we can become more in touch with the universe. Once knowing and visualizing the flower for a life of its own no less important than your own, could one so carelessly pluck it out of the ground? Therefore, it is not just about the flower it is about my/our connection to the flower and how we view life and the universe. It is that the beauty of life is not only enclosed in human life but in all life around us. It is through the appreciation of all the small miracles that our whole life would change. It’d be like viewing the world through a new set of eye glasses for the first time. Everything would me more in-depth, grand, and appreciated rather than abused, ignored, and taken for granted

jesskeating. said...

All four quotes are beautiful and do apply to my life, but a quote that I have found on my own a while back has always been the "guideline" for my life. "The harder you fall, the higher you bounce." - Doug Horton. I have made quite one too many mistakes and continue to do so. Well, I dont necessarily call them all mistakes because frankly, I tend to learn from each one. If a person never makes mistakes, then how can they succeed or learn anything? I have hit rock bottom mentally and physically before and at that moment, I knew there really was no where my life could go but back up. Once a person hits rock bottom, they tend to realize a few things. 1. Life is delicate. 2. Only you can help yourself. 3. Love saves. At least, that is what I have come across. This quote can apply to anyone in any situation which is why I love it. Whether it's doing bad on a test, relationship problems, or an addiction, no matter how bad something might get, there's always that one chance to see the bright side out of it. Many people believe that once they hit rock bottom, that's where they will remain as if it was destiny for them to be there. I believed that when I was in that position, but the destiny part ended up turning out positive even though it was tied to another situation. If I never hit that point in my life, I wouldn't be standing where I am today or living the same life that I am. Life works in mysterious ways constantly. You can never escape the bad, but there is always good hidden behind the bad. You just have to search for it. Hm, I think I just made up a new quote that applies to my life also.

Mel said...

where there is love there is life. what is life without love. if you didnt have love from family or friends or boy/girlfriends,what would your life consist of? i think love is one of the most important things in life and thats probally why most people spend most of there life trying to find true love.once i lost this love it made me think a little more about life and why were living in it.ive been thinking alot about how you were saying that all suffering comes from desire, which i believe, but how can you not want something that once made you feel so good? if we never wanted anything we would never be dissapointed but wouldn't that be boring? you would have to live by yourself because if you dont you would have expectations of them and when there not met you would be dissapointed again. its just a visious cycle just like trying to be happy, we are always looking for something better to do. i just dont understand life, what are we suppose to get out of it? were never completly happy and without love there isnt life, but with love there is dissapointment and suffering, so is that even love? see everything conects to eachother but when you say it it just dosnt make any sense to me.

sorry if i confused you i think i was confusing myself too.

Bill R said...

I can most relate and comprehend the quote from Gautama Buddha; “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.” To me this quote explains how little we pay attention to life’s little miracles. It shows how we are always too busy chasing something or rushing to meet some deadline that we never really stop to gaze at the beauty of such a simple plant and to dwell on the marvel of its existence. It’s amazing how something that doesn’t think, doesn’t move, and doesn’t feel can capture one’s attention, and if we give this magnificent being enough of our attention, its majesty and splendor could change our views on the world. It could give hope to the hopeless and inspire the uninspired. It can provoke unfelt feelings of compassion for nature and create wonder for life’s mysteries. The world’s beauty causes us to think how such things were created. If we had the patience and the clarity of mind to sit down and observe the creation and growth of a single flower and actually comprehend what was going on then we could be able to know secrets about Mother Nature and alter our whole view on life.
In my life I try not to rush through life’s experiences. I like to cherish and savor the good times in life. I think that in some sense I follow Buddha’s quote in that I try to pay attention to the small things that make me happy. Noticing the exquisiteness of the small things in life can help keep one optimistic. I trust that this is why I stay optimistic through most situations. Letting life’s stresses pose a veil over nature’s beauty can take away this cheerfulness and make life so much harder. To lighten the load of life’s tough assessments I try and think about the beauty in all of nature and always have hope.

Nancy M said...

As to no disrespect, I decided to find my own quote about life. I think your quotes are good ones but I don’t think I could relate one of them to my self. However I can relate this quote by James Dean to my life: “Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die today.” When I read this quote, I thought it was very insightful. I believe that everyone should life each day as if it were their last. Life is such a precious gift that we have been given, but like they say all things must come to and end. I try to life each day different from the last whether it’s just a change in my attitude or taking a different way to work or talking to different people. You never know what might happen and I believe that you shouldn’t look back on your life and say I should have done this differently or I should have done that. There are no regrets if you live each day as your last. If you make a mistake or a bad choice, it will only make you stronger and teach you the right way to do things next time. Life shouldn’t be spent worrying about this or that or trying to make the right decision every time or worrying about what the future holds. Just taking that first breath every morning when you wake up should be the most important thing. To know that you have been given another day of life to live it the way you want to. But when your in bed and night sleeping, dream about all the beauties of life; dream about the impossible and like the quote says dream as if you’ll live forever. I think that if people learn to appreciate life it will make it so much better. Living everyday the way you want to as if you will die today gives off such a breath of fresh air. You can relax and know that at the end of the day you lived that day the way you wanted to not the way you had to.

kelso said...

The meaning of life..what about the meaning of my life?
Many say the meaning of their life is to live it to the fullest or be successful, not me. I'm very simple when it comes to the meaning of my life, which is just to be satisifed and have love, for myself and from others.
Everyday you wake up with a different attitude, happy, sad, angry and you go on about your day. Whatever mood or emotions i went through throughout the day and end up in at the end of the day I revise. I think to myself all of the things I did for myself and others and how it made me feel. I tell myself I've done the very best I could with anything I did and it satisfies me.
All my satisfaction comes from me loving myself, which was very hard to not too long ago because I didnt know how to. Therefore i was never satisfied with myself everyday. I always tried to make people like me, or I doubted myself,creating such a high insecurity factor for me. Once I realized who i was and couldnt change that,from the help of my counselor and a certain teacher, I get this warm feeling all the time.So, even if i'm super mad at the end of the day I feel happy inside, satisfied, and loved because I excepted and love myself so much. There is not a SINGLE person in the world who can tell me I act or look like someone else on this planet because I know I dont for a fact and it makes me truly happy.
So, here is a question we've been discussing, do you really have to earn happiness? I don't have to. My happiness comes from loving myself and being loved by others. However, even if there isnt anyone out there who does love me, it's ok because i'm the only one who can give myself all the love i'll ever need.
Now people say they fear of being lonely. You ask someone about why they are and they'll most likely give you a general idea about moving on to a different relationship and they're left all by themselves. Loneliness just doesnt mean you are all by yourself. Somedays I feel lonely, I use to all the time, and I'm surrounded by all my family, friends, and so many other people.Why? I would like to share my thoughts I have and someone else to understand me but I realized I expected people to notice me and give me attention. You can't have expectations for someone else except yourself or you'll never be happy and will always be lonely. These days I can happily entertain myself no matter where I'm at.

evank said...

I can most identify with the quote by Erik Erikson because it goes along with what I like to do and what I have been traind in. I like to hike in the mountains and on these hikes it can get very dangerous like life thretingly dangerous. I have almost fallen down a mountain and have gotten sick and injured my feet and even contributed to my knee injury wich is one more injury away from needing surgery. What I'm getting at is if I were to be injured and/or seperated from my group I would have to find the hope to survive and have hope that some one will find me or I would most certaintly die. I have been trained in wilderness survival and survival technics in genral but the one thing that was stressed was the will to survive and to have hope. Those to often go to gether because if you don't have one the other will be hard to accomplish. I am also a fire fighter and if I were to get trapped in a building I would need to have hope. I would have to have hope that I will be rescued in time just like people traped in fires or even cars they have to have hope.

Anonymous said...

The quote that I most identify with would have to be Buddha,"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change." People are always in a rush in today's world. They want things fast, quick, and easy. Rarely people take out the time to look and notice the small details. A flower for instance it is something beautiful. But it's beauty doesn't happen over night. It takes careful planning and execution to make it happen. Buddha is talking about if you be still for a single second, you learn to appreciate the small things in the world. This causes you to open up your eyes in a way because you begin to realize the other things around you. If people were aware of things, it would ultimately make their life better. A perfect example of this would be the rich girl who suddenly becomes poor. All of her friends are gone and now she has no one left to talk to. The person who she always used to ignore becomes her friend and the girl starts to know what a true friend is. The point I am trying to make is that you should be grateful for everything you have. This quote applies perfectly to my life because I always consider myself to be like a flower. Everyone who knows me personally, know that I take everything in; my surroundings. I'm never in a rush and tend to go with the flow. I always try to appreciate things from all aspects and angles. The little things in life excite me the most. Monday night me and my dad had went to Borders. I found this book called Eco Architecture. OMG!!! My face lit up and I couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear. All my dad could do was just laugh. Here I was in Borders almost jumping up and down because I had found one of the coolest books ever!!!! As you can see, I get happy over the littlest things. I try to live my life in a peaceful way you could say just observing and aweing at various things. To me, this is the best way to live your life because it makes you calmer and more at ease. You don't worry and get upset about the little things because they are not worth it. Instead, you just take a deap breath or two and move on.

monet tb said...

Life to me shouldn't have one meaning because we all are different in our beliefs. But in the quote "What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful. --HH The Dalai Lama" i feel where he is coming from because i believe that we are here for a purpose and as well are goal in life is to be happy. For example everyone live by having a job and majority of jobs are to help people such as police officers, teachers, and doctors just to name a few which those jobs are our purpose. They say to pick a career that you love and what you love makes you happy. So i can see how the meaning of life is to be useful and happy. But to me its the same but with a twist. i feel as though that the meaning of life is to obtain knowledge of a variety of subjects by traveling the world and sight seeing. i think u should do that so you will be able to understand and be open minded. With that the people in the world will be able to come together and if not they will be able to have a better understanding of one another and it would make life easier. For example the environment if people would travel and see how beautiful the world is and realize its importance we wouldn't be in global warming. As well as different cultures if people would travel the world and see how others live and how they are then maybe they can understand others or maybe appreciate their life. Even thought i don't apply what i just wrote to my life i plan on doing it in the future. For instance i want to own my own hair salon but i want to be able to stay at home and at the end of the day or week i want to go in and collect my money then resume o the next day or week. And i want to have a total salon which your going to be able to get pedicures, manicures, facials, hairstyles,and much more done. And i feel like my purpose in life is to help people to feel confident about themselves and owning my own salon is going to help me do so and it as well makes me happy.

Anonymous said...

The quote in which I relate to the most is Where there is love there is life. ---Mohandas Ghandi. In life many people try to find out what the true meaning of love is. The word love means something so powerful to either your family, friends, and boy/girlfriends. The word love alone is hard to explain because it can have different meanings of it. Some people fear and ignore love because they are afraid if love is found, it will eventually hurt them. But wouldn’t you think that if a person really truly loved you, they would stick by you no matter what the circumstances were? Love has always been around me since I was a little girl. I was brought up learning how to love people and when to give it. My family and friends have always been there for me to give me love and support in everything that I accomplish, even if its something little. I think that most people agree that being loved is something beautiful. You never imagine what you might feel until your put in the position. But to me love is something that shouldn’t be taken for granted because you never know when you might lose it. I quote that I really love is "Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the one's who don't, believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. And if it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it." This quote to me means that if you do something that you know your not supposed to don’t look back. You only have one chance to live and it shouldn’t be having regrets of things. If it was a bad decision, you will learn and grow from it. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. You shouldn’t have to live your life worrying about if someone likes and dislikes you. You should love yourself and you have the people around you to love you as well. Always take chances when their in front of you. You never know what that decision what lead your life towards. Life in general is not easy so if your worried about people not liking you or you having regrets your not going to live life to the fullest. Your only here once and you shouldn’t take advantage of it.

shantab said...

Im constantly questioning what's my purpose in life. Why am i here? I can say that the best explanation to this question i often ask myself is basically what The Dalai Lama said. Life is here to live it ... not to just sit around and do nothing. One can not honestly say they lived a good life without being happy at one point. The world is filled with such compassion that without it life would not exist. The happiness we experience in out life can also be determained by the relationship we have with god. Before i used to attend church i can honestly say that i had no faith or ambitions in life, but when i finally found something to believe in it made my life alot easier and happier.

Life, i believe, is an obstacle, which is here for us to overcome. We live and die and in between there this shoould be some happiness. Everyones goal in life should be to be happy. Wheither it be being successful or just getting a good grade on your test. Basically... happiness is essential.


Another thing that is important to life is to be useful. If you sit around doing absolutly nothing your basically wasting you life. Like Monet said in class life is here for us to enjoy. There's so many things to explore and so many places to visit it you must be useful in some way shape or form. If not then i dont believe you would be able to live a good life.

Kirsten A said...

Most people in life so not know exactly what their life means or what they want to do in their lives. Everybody wants a different thing in life no two people aspire to accomplish the same things in their lives. I would have to say in my life that I would some day want to settle down with a family and be successful in my chosen career and to be as happy in my life as I can. My motto in life with out any regrets I don’t want to look back on what I have done in my life in ten or twenty years from now and not like a single thing that I had done. Granted everyone makes mistakes in their life I just hope that I don’t make to many large or perhaps life altering ones.

Out of the four quotes I would have to say I agree most with HH the Dalai Lama when he said,” What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful.” I try in life to make myself happy. I’m not just going to sit around my entire life not doing anything and enjoying my time on earth while I am here. I believe that we were all put on this earth for a specific reason and I try to find what reason I am here for in the process of making my self truly happy. I think that if I find my mission for this world or purpose that my true happiness my lie within that. I try to always to the right things in life at least for the most part and set a good example for others. When it comes to true happiness I’m not sure that at this moment in my life I know what that exactly is. There are times where I may believe it to be one thing at at other times I think it’s a complete opposite. But, I still strive in life to find what may bring me complete happiness. Weather it be getting married and having kids or being by myself or just being successful in my chosen career. No matter what it may turn out to be I try to take all the necessary steps to get to my true happiness in life.

JordanK said...

“What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful.” I have chosen this quote by The Dalai Lama for a couple of different reasons that relate to me. Everybody has a different belief on what or why god put them on earth for; whether it to be good, bad, do good, make money, help others, etc…Than the people who follow those reasons have a meaning of life in their own perspective. I believe that my meaning in life is to help others, be successful, and not fail; which in better terms from Dalai Lama is “To be happy and useful.” No matter the occasion, whether I’m upset with people or not, I will always be there to help and protect the person I love, which makes me happy essentially. Although I don’t meet the word standards for this blog, I believe I have gotten my point across on my meaning of life.

Katherine B said...

I most identify with Buddha, not only because I am buddhist, but because I feel that it is very true. I relate this to my life in a way that I think everyone could. I think that if everyone stopped and looked at simple things in life and made time to sit and think about them, we would realize the beauty nature holds and we would realize that not everything is what it appears to be.

For example a human is a complex being, we have many needs and wants, but what makes us unique is how we relate to different things such as the universe. A person could look at the same object as another person and see something completly different, its all based on personal opinion, but what really mattered was that they took out the time to identify an object out of a complex figure.

Often I sit and think about these things, because it gets me that step closer to happiniess, but when it all comes down to it I think it is completley based on personal views, and how each of us sees things, even if we analyze something down to its contents, none of us would see the same things, unless we shared the same mind set.

kyle w said...

The quote that I like the most is,"Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired". It is true that the one thing that keeps us going, even when times are tough, is hope. We get a bad test grade, we HOPE we do better next time. We lose our job, we HOPE we can get another job soon. Hope is what drives us to make something better for ourselves. It is the single most important thing in life. I hope for things every single day. Right now I am hoping to graduate, I am hoping to get accepted to all the colleges I applied too, and I am hoping to find a way to pay for college. All of these things, stress me out, but they also give me something to strive for. If I did not have any hopes or dreams, I would never do anything. A person without trust, would not have any true friends, but they could still live their life. A person without confidence would be insecure, but they could still live their life. A person without hope would have no purpose therefore, they would have no life.

S.Ryan L said...

Instead of choosing one of Ms. Bunje’s quotes I decided to go out on my own and find one that seemed to fit me personally. The quotes that were provided by Ms. Bunje’s may have appealed to many because they were appropriate to many of us. However the quote I chose provoked more meaning to me so don’t take it personal. The quote I chose is “I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul William Ernest” This quote fits my beliefs because I believe that everyone makes there own fate and nothing in life is pre determine. As humans we have free will, the ability to commence our life and live our life as we see fit but we have to take responsibility for our actions. With the responsibility of making our own decisions comes the consequences of our choices which decides our fate and what the future will bring to us. I like this quote because it makes me strive for independence and gives me a realistic point of view of life from my standing. Being the captain of my soul is what makes me unique from everyone else. A soul is the immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life. A soul is what gives us difference from everyone else; it’s our personality, our character or moral being. When I lay in bed at night I think of what I have accomplished or regret doing from previous years, on the end I always know that I have chosen the path that I’m on and I am responsible for all the outcomes . I think that’s the problem with most people in the world, they can’t be honest with them self. People try blaming a situation on other people or in other words they make excuses. Its not just teenagers but most adults do this vicious act. Its like everyone thinks there’s another kind of force acting upon them, but if they took a good look at the circumstance is pretty obvious how they ended up in that situation. I guess in the end life is what you make it and how you handle certain obstacles will play a major role in the future.

BlakeR said...

Out of the four quotes from the blog the one that relates to my life has to be the one about being happy and useful. I see life has to have a reason to be in it, people do not just live every day the same way, and do everything for no reason. There is a reason for everything that happens, and i think people do it to be remembered or to be known. people wake up every morning thinking about what their agenda is for the day, if there is no suspense for them, they will find something to be suspenseful because that is how the human mind works. We need excitement in our life or every day will be a boaring one. I know when i leave high school i will still have my little brother to be remembered by, but i would rather leave with a bang and that will make me happy with the long four years i have spent in the oak. I feel i need to be useful in someones life or i will not be happy, so with both of them apply to my life. I always have to make sure my friends are having a good day that will make me useful, and with being useful i will be happy. Being useful seems to be my reason my life is the way it is now. I am always sniffing around everyone's life and checking out what is going on. Some could call it being nosy but i am always just checking and making sure everything is going well and is in the right place. I could just hang out and not worry about what is going on with other people but then i will get the whole, "Why are you so weird today" speech which i hate more than anything. Everyone does have their off days though. I would prefer to make things right and seem that i am being useful. I feel good when people come to me for comfort and know i can put a smile on their face no matter the situation. That's my meaning of life.

John L. said...

What is the meaning of life? Can anyone really say for sure? The answer is no, not a single person can give a 100% accurate answer because once again the interpretation of what the meaning of life is, varies from person to person. The meaning of life is something that each and every person finds out on their own as they are making their way through life. As for the quotes that we had to choose from, I would have to pick the one by the Dalai Lama “What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful.” This quote in particular I feel as though I can relate to the most. In fact I feel like this is perhaps the closest thing that comes to defining the meaning of my life. I feel that everybody wants to be able to be happy with their life and who they are and with what they have done. Really it is a common goal that everybody shares, the goal of being happy that is. If you actually sit down and think about life and what you have done so far in your life, you will find that everything you have done so far has been for the soul purpose of being happy. You may not realize it but the underlying cause of everything you do is for the pursuit of happiness. However the word useful in this quote can be scrutinized. I know that in my life knowing that I am useful to somebody is quite satisfying and makes me happy. I enjoy being able to be there for somebody and being able to do nice things for them. Although doing nice things for someone makes me happy I think above all, knowing that someone needs me gives me the greatest feeling of happiness. That feeling of being wanted and belonging is what gives me my greatest joy. That is why I feel that this quote very closely defines the meaning of my life.

Danielle U said...

I would have to say the quote that I most identify with is, “Where there is love there is life” by Mohandas Ghandi. The reason I feel like I relate to this quote the most is because it describes how I want my life to be. I want to live my life knowing that other people care about me. Right now, I would say this is how I’m living my life. I know that I have family that are there for me, and friends that can help me through anything. I actually feel very sorry for those who don’t have anyone in there life. They must feel very lonely, and are unsure of their purpose. Maybe those who are alone feel differently then me, but I can honestly say that I’m in a better mood when I realize someone I care about also feels the same towards me. It makes you feel important, and just good about yourself. Sometimes if I’m in a bad mood and doubt if anyone does care enough about me, I get pretty upset. Love definitely has a strong impact on your life.
Although in class you said it isn’t good to rely on others for your happiness, I kind of disagree. If you already know yourself inside and out, why would you want to spend so much of your time by yourself? You already know what goes through your head; why not spend time with others? There are so many people in the world to learn from and have a good time with; it seems dumb to just be alone. Although I also agree you can’t love another, until you love yourself, other people can sometimes help you realize different things about yourself and help you learn to love yourself.
Well back to the quote, I honestly think that people feel more alive when they know they are loved. A person’s whole mood can change just by something small someone did for them to show them they care. Love is a very powerful thing, and in order to live a happy life, you most definitely need love.

1BrianL said...

I really don't like any of the quotes. But if i had to pick, i would say the Dalai Lama one is the best. the meaning of life means a lot of crap, and no one really knows it, but i believe to be happy is a darn good meaning! It makes no sense for us to live in a world with no happiness. It makes perfect sense to say the meaning of life is to be happy, becuase if your not happy then what? why bother living? Like the certain religions where the people live to serve god and dont see an ounce of technology, that is not the meaning of life. Thats the meaning of being gods bitch, which he probably doesnt care about anyway. I think that if you recognize a god in anyway, then your in jsut for believing. Back to being happy, the people that live to serve god are not happy at all, and really have no life, so joke is completely on them. However the qoute does have the word useful in it, which could be implying that to be happy you ahve to be a slave to god like the people who are not happy at all? Oxymoron? That sucks now that i think about it, how can you be happy and useful at the same time, unless useful means something other than being a slave to god. Or the people that are slaves to god are happy, which i dont see why they would be. Never having any fun must suck....imagine that! I'm supposed to interperret this qoute to my life now. and i would say that i am happy for the most part, but i cant consider myself usefull in terms of being a total clown slave to god. But i would consider myself useful in terms of ecknowleging(sp) god. which i believe is a good way of saying usefull. the meaning of life is hard. Why would anyone figure it out? why bother? Live life happy and be as usefull as you want to be!

Sam S said...

Of the quotes, I feel as though I most identify with the last one. For some reason I only feel like my life is a life when I can wake up saying I love certain people. “Where there is love, there is life.” I love my parents more than anyone or anything on this planet. They make my life a life. Parents show you and try to give you a heads up as to what you should and should not do because you will encounter it later. My mom tries to show me that I should be somewhat responsible with when I go out and for how long. I learned a whole lot from this when she went to Florida for a week leaving me with everything to take care of that week. I have my sister who is like my best friend, my other half, my blood, well she is everything. The love from family member to family member in my life is strong and without my family, I would die and there would be no life of me.
There is not only family love. There is an important concept people must grasp. You must love your person. If you don’t love the person who is standing in front of the mirror in the morning, afternoon, or night, than it just makes life a mess. If everyone learns to love the person they chose to be, than life would be a life not a joke. People take so much time being in someone else’s life trying to impress them that they don’t have a life.
People claim there is a love life that makes life. I believe that once you are married. Your “love life” in high school is called a crush and a distraction. Don’t get me wrong I have had my relationships. Waste of time is what I look back on it as. Once you grow up I believe a person’s love life will make their life what life is supposed to be.
Without love there is no life and without life there is no love. To have a life you have to love someone or something starting with yourself. I can say this because when I hated who I was, I considered myself to being lifeless.

Anonymous said...

The meaning of life?, a question that has “plagued” mankind since the beginning of time. His Holiness though has a stern approach it seems to what life really is, and I must say that I agree with him. Being useful is intertwined with your own happiness. “How?” you may ask, but it really has a simple explanation. What is the point of living if you are going to just sit around like a rock. A rock is an inanimate object which means it is not living. Yet there are some people who are less useful than a rock. A rock can be used for different tools while a lazy good for nothing human is not useful for anything; all they do is consumed. This has a direct link to your happiness as an individual. You may ask yourself, “am I happy.” And sometimes you might answer yes. If you just spent your entire day just sitting around on your bed just doing nothing than you are most likely not going to be happy with yourself. On the contrary, if you woke up in the morning and went for a three mile jog, then sat down and read a book for a little while, than you should be a happy individual. Although it might not make you as happy as if you had just met the man or woman of your dream, but on a small level you are happy. This is because your day was just useful, maybe not to anyone else, but to yourself. You stimulated your body and senses by going for a light jog through any type of terrain, and then stimulated your mind with some, hopefully insightful, reading. This day was not a complete waste like the lazy person, because even though you didn’t save someone’s life you definatly made an impression on your own. This is the best type of impression that you can make. You may think that you are helping out someone else when you are actually hurting them but when you are just trying to do something for yourself you know for sure whether or not your actions are going to help or hurt.

michaelc said...

There is no single quote that i live my life by. But of the 4 quotes i like and think i could closely relate myself to would be Ghandi's quote. "Where there is love there is life." I picked this quote because i think life without love is no life at all. Without love, everyone would be miserable. Wether it is love of your family, pets, friends, nature or whatever it may be. Without it, i dont think we could possibly live upon ourselves. Love makes the most simplest things matter. I think that some people even live for love. It could be love as in romance or love within your religion.
Now that i look back, i also like Buddha's quote. " If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change." When i think about that hard it hits me and makes me realize how much i overlook things. A flower is just a simple thing that we see almost every day. It's amazing how complexed it really is. Life is way more complexed than it seems. We just in my opinion overlook the simple things which could mean the most.

Paul H said...

if we could see the miracle of a flower clearly, our whole life would change. for me,i most identify with that quote by Buddha. in my opinion it is saying that life is extremely beautiful and no one has really seen its true beauty. in his eyes to see the miracle of a flower growing is to experience the miracle of life. life is a very complex thing and no one truly understands it and no one truly ever will. sure people may have their own opinions about it and may feel a certain way about it, but they will never really know the complexities of it. life to me is a very beautiful thing and i can honestly say i love my life. i feel everyone should love their life because they only get one and nothing is better than having life. without life nothing would be. there would be no thought no feelings no experiences, nothing. since we do have life and can experience everything, we should take full advantage of it. those who throw their lives away do understand how great of a thing they are letting go. sure life goes through its ups and downs but it can always be turned around. your life is what you make of it. if you want it to be good it will be good if you want it to be bad it will be bad. only you can make that decision only you and no one else. I feel those people who throw their lives away would instantly fix their lives if they could witness the miracle of life. Something as simple as a flower is beyond comprehension. People know how it grows and what its composed of but no one knows how it came to be. Not from a religious standpoint either. But if some how or some way we could all experience how life came to be the world would be a better place for everyone because life would be so much more appreciated. People like Buddha give me the assurance that I am not the only person who appreciates life and who is content just thinking about life and its beauty.

Nicole L said...

The quote I most relate with would definitely be "Where there is love there is life." ---Mohandas Ghandi. No matter whom you are at some pointing your life you come across love. Whether you are being loved by guardians, friends, family, parents, or boyfriend/girlfriends we are all loved. There are people who had a rough childhood who did not have much love, and have problems being able to love. I was like this for a lot of my life, until one day I just realized I had to move on the past is the past. Love is the main factor of life. I know me for one and many other people feel when you do not have someone loving you, you feel incomplete. When my parents are mad at me I get really upset because sometimes it feels as if they do not love me, but really they are only disappointed. Love is essential to being happy. Whether it’s just loving yourself or being loved. If you do not learn to love yourself you will most likely never have a healthy relationship with anyone. Sure there are children in orphanages who you probably think have no love cause they were pretty much abandoned, but people within that orphanage I guarantee start to fall in love with these young children as if they were there own. Also, having a single parent is almost one of the most difficult things ever. The parent constantly has to play both mom and dad. I look up to my dad in so many ways because for a good portion of my life he had to play both mom and dad. Even though I didn’t have a mom until I was seven; I still felt loved by my father and always will. Love is something no one can take away from me I feel it from my family, friends, and boyfriend. We all get into our fights but at the end of the day we all still love each other. When people think of love sometimes they think of mushy relationships, but not me. Love is being surrounded by people I love and being able to laugh and smile or just being able to hug someone. Love comes in all different forms intimate, family love, friend love. My family is by far the most important thing to me. The love I have for them is not the love I will ever have for any boyfriend. My family are the ones who taught me to love. Love is not a fact it’s your opinion. Love does not have one solid definition. We might search our whole life actually trying to find a true love. Is there really such thing as love at first sight? Or true love? I don’t know. I don’t know what it would be like in this world without love because I have grown up with it all my life. When I feel loved I feel alive. When I’m fighting with my loved ones I am so mad and depressed. I know when people say love makes the world go round it sounds corny but it’s true. What would life be without love and emotion? Nothing. It would be full of dullness. Love is what motivates people to date, stick by their family and friends. TO me love is an essential key in everyday life. If you didn’t have someone who loved you who would you go to with all your problems? Who would actually care enough to make sure your safe if they didn’t love you? Lately, in class we have been TRYING to answer questions that could have a thousand answers. But honestly is love what triggers life. For example next door to my old house there was an old couple in love and this old mans wife died, not even two weeks later that healthy old man died right after his wife. And I believe her dying literally killed his heart. His heart truly did beat for her, that’s love. I can sit here and ask you what you think love is, but we will never agree on an answer, because there is no answer. Love is what you believe and I believe love triggers life.

Javahn B said...

I could identify Dalai's quote the most. All my life I've been woundering whats the meaning of life. I've began to question (not god) but myself, about my reasons for being on this earth. I believe there's a reason for everyone thats living today. God has a plan for every individual on this earth today. Through the 17 years of my exhistance, I slowly but surely began to understand my reasons and meanings of life. I've been bless with wounderful talents with my hands. I'm able to draw to perfection and drum like there's no tomorrow. I have a mother thats a strong single christian woman, who will never give up on her dreams or her childrens dreams. My mother and my father was here supporting me all the way, even if it took beating it out of me. I believe my meaning of life is to lead people in the right direction, get my life right, become a wealthy man and take care of my family. I am not just a waste of space. I will prove to myself and everyone else that I'm not just an attractive peace of meat. So the meaning of life......it's not whether if there's a reason or not your here, but its what's the reason. It could be more than you expect.

Anonymous said...

I believe the meaning of life is to be happy and useful. People don't want to be alive not being wanted. I don't want to be a lazy person and sit around doing nothing my whole life. People want to be alive with a purpose. They also want to be happy. Think what would happen if their wasn't happiness on this earth. Don't worry i will wait!! The earth would be a totally different place. I know that if Obama didn't win, their would be millions of disappointed people. I try to live my life with happiness. I also try to make everything I do worth something. I hate doing things that have no purpose or don't help me in anyway. I also feel that I have to help other people. I wouldn't feel right about myself if I didn't help other people sometimes. I try and make other people happy when they are sad and frustrated. Those are just a few reasons why I believe the The Dalai Lama had the best quote.

Vincent Q said...

Out of the four quotes the one that I like the most is “What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful.” --HH The Dalai Lama. I think that this quotes it very true because in life if you have completed both of those things you will be successful and that’s why we are here on this earth. The way I live my life is to have as much fun as I can. All I ever think about in school is how I could be having fun if I was home. I love just hanging with friends and doing crazy things, that’s fun to me. Before every decision I make I think to myself “Am I going to have fun doing this”. By making fun decisions and doing fun things I am then happy and I think that one of the purposes I am here on this earth is to have fun.
One of the things I like to do most is help people. Weather its going to the store for my mom, Helping fellow classmates with schoolwork, or even helping someone care for a cut or bruise. Helping people just comes from the love of my heart. I don’t do it because I feel good doing it or anything, I do it because helping someone is just the right thing to do. That was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to join the military because I love to help people and what better way to help people then to fight for our country? I think that when The Dalai Lama said the meaning of life is to be useful, he meant it to help people. Helping people is what makes the world go round. Where would we be without teachers that help people? Or Doctors that help people? I think that the Dalai Lama really is trying to say is that whenever you see that opportunity to help someone you should take it and have fun while your dong it. In life were suppose to have fun and do everything you can be happy that’s what makes living enjoyable. Hopefully when I’m older I can look back and think of all the fun and happy moments I had and think of everyone I helped along the way and just realize how successful I am by doing all those things.

Anonymous said...

The quote that sticks out the most to me is the one from His Holiness Dalai Lama. I first heard something like this from my good pal Craig. He said, "Everyone’s goal is to be wanted" or something in that area. It is almost the same thing. Wanting to be wanted is like wanting to be useful. Everyone wants to feel like they are a part of something. Why do you think things like clubs or sports were invented? People want to feel like they were a part of something. No one wants to feel unwanted. That feeling alone can drive someone crazy.
On the other hand, people want to feel happy in life. The thought is being happy with your entire life is a tremendous achievement. Being happy is a positive thing. For example, your worst days come from you being mad, and you are usually happy on your best days. Happiness brings out the best in everyone. If you look back in life and feel like you were very productive and happy about your life in whole then you've accomplished a lot. There is not much more can ask for. Materials things cannot bring you happiness. The richest man in world might be the most miserable man ever.
I think I already converted being happy and useful in my check list for life. I try to generally be a happy person. I usually hear people talk about how they never see me mad, or how I am always nice / happy. That is a good trait to hold. People remember based on their last experience they had with you. If you had a negative experience with someone they might only remember that moment and think you are a mean person or something. If you leave on a good note people will remember you as a good person.
Anytime I feel like I am not happy I try to fix it. I am also one who wants to feel use. I do sports and clubs because I want to be part of something. Sometimes I ask myself why I still do things like football for example considering that is always a negative topic in Oakcrest. I do it because I would feel useless if I didn't. I don't know what I would do besides work. People want to feel like they are a part of something.

Pete D. said...

The quote by Erik Erikson seems to strike my fancy, and it’s not due to the fact that he basically has the same name twice. Instead it just seems like one I can identify myself with and can observe in others. Even though I am not sure about hope being the first virtue we develop I can agree that it is very crucial in succeeding and pushing through your hardest trials throughout life. Now that I think about it I suppose it could be the earliest virtue present in the state of existing because even as children we have ambitions that we have look forward too with great optimism. We may hope to get a bike from “Santa Claus” or hope that dad doesn’t yell when he sees the bad grade you got on that test in grammar school, or even hope that you will survive on a lifeboat with a 450 pound Bengal tiger as your companion for the trip. However once this hope, these aspirations have gone astray basically all is lost and your chances of succeeding significantly fade away to the point where failure is almost inevitable. Just as Mr. Erikson says, you can lose trust and confidence and still carry on because they do not cause you to give up. Sure it won’t make your overall task any easier but if you lose trust then you can’t be backstabbed or you won’t be let down if you lose confidence because you can expect the worst. Still, in the long run without any hope to function off of, without having the ability to even wish you can pull through whatever you may be facing, you will be unsuccessful.

Whenever I have to face some sort of difficult task I can say that I have yet to give up. I always have that little spark of motivation keeping me going, trying to push me to fulfill the things that I truly hope for. Sometimes you can see when people just give up and lose their will to keep fighting and it proves that no matter how bizarre or outlandish your hopes and dreams may be it’s better than having nothing to believe in. If no one ever hoped to go to travel to the moon, something that seemed nearly impossible more than 45 years ago then who would of done it? How would any great marvel be accomplished without that little push from someone’s inner self that says “I think it can be done, and I want to do it!”? So yes I guess I can say that Erik Eriskson could not be anymore correct about his statement, and I must also say that the people who think of these astounding, awe-inspiring quotes are really brilliant and they definitely know how to get an intellectual conversation going. Just like Ms. Bunje. =)

williama said...

As I looked over the four quotes there was only one that really could connect to me. What is the meaning of life? To be happy and useful. By The Dalai Lama would have to be the one that I would be most connected to. I have questioned myself on what the meaning of life really was. The only true answer that I could ever come up with was to be happy and to do something with my life. Everyone wants to be happy in their life. Many of us work extra hard to make sure that our lives stay happy. Sometimes too much time is spent doing this. Also people want to be something in life. They want to be successful and accomplish things. So when you spend so much of your time working towards thing like getting happy and being useful it kind of becomes the meaning of your life. And just like everyone else I to work towards that meaning to life. I am always trying to find a way to better my life. Always trying to stay active in things that I like to do. These are ways that I try to find happiness in. as I get closer to graduation I think about what I want to do with my future. And just like most it is to be successful. I would love to become a computer programmer some day. I work at this as much as I can. It is something I look forward to. So my meaning of life could possibly be just like Dalai Lama says to be happy and useful.

Roodly A said...

out of the four quotes, theres two that identify me. What is the meaning of life? to be happy and useful. and Where there is love there is life. for the first one i dont really have an answer to it but i think the meaning of my life is to be successful and achieve my goals.

Where is love there is life.---Mohandas Ghandi, i like that quote alot. the word love itself symbolizes me. i really know how to love someone. i can not life without love because with out love it feels as if you are seperated from everybody else and your trapped and you have no one to help you with things, and that is terrible. without love there wouldnt be a point in life, it is the greatest thing that you can ask for. iam not talking about just boyfriend and girlfriend iam talking about having a mother and a father to apperciate you and guide you through life, also having love from your friends, and also your teachers, they can show you alot of love ( Ms Bunje ). the word love is a very prowerful word it can change some one in so many ways, the word love can change good from bad. the word love is not a word u can just say, you have to mean it and of course show it. i think that God favorite word is love because he loves everybody, even though you did somthing wrong he would forgive you and still love you and thats a fact. i think of it like ths, what would you do if your family didnt love you and didnt care about you, how would you feel? how would you feel if you didnt have any friends to talk to? what if you were alone in this world? i am sure no one would want to live a terrible life like that.

Anonymous said...

I identify myself with this quote “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change“(Buddha). The smallest flower has a very intricate design. A secret upon petal after petal circulating root to tip passing in the most inner chambers of the stem. Yet we pass fields of them and glance at their eye-catching radiant color, enjoy their fragrance, but never really admire or perceive their splendor in full. A flower is a delicate thing that starts as a seed. Not any seed in any place though. A seed has to be embedded in it’s compatible environment for the magic to begin. May it be sand, soil, or sea floor when the seed can grow it will. How a seed produces a flower is a strange thing to think about. I mean, How does the seed know it’s in a good spot , and how does such a little seed produce such a lovely work of art, so exquisite that they are incorporated in weddings, parties, and their images used to adorn so many things. Even the greatest paintings try to mimic their beauty by the flick of a brush. Any scientist can tell you the process of how a seed yields a flower that in turn yields more seeds which makes more flowers “yada yada yada” , but ask any single one why does it happen and they can not look the answer up. It’s just something no one will ever be able to explain. It just happens. No one tells the seed to yield a beautiful flower living, functional, and beautiful but it does and it is just one of natures small miracles. The design of a flower being so intricate that you wonder how did those functions come to be? But rather most people don’t even notice or even know for that matter that a flower is a living and in a sense breathing thing. Most people pass them by and don’t take a second glance. “If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly…”understand that their existence is almost magical, know the secret behind their mystery, and then relate that to ourselves and then to the whole world around us, “…our whole life would change.”

Anonymous said...

Life is what you make it. A lot of people take life for granted because they do not really grasp the thought that tomorrow is not promised. Life is about creating yourself into who ever you choose to be. Being confident and respecting yourself is key in being a successful person. Through life’s ups and downs, good times and bad times, I have realized I am fabulous, just for being me. Being yourself is one of the most important things in life because life is too short to be imitating someone else. Things are going to happen that make me laugh until my cheeks hurt, or cry until I have no more tears. But life is life and I love the life I’m living. I will never give up on what I want to accomplish. No matter what happens, I will keep my head up and live because I’m just happy to be here. I live everyday to its fullest, because tomorrow may not come. Life is beautiful to me. I’m curious what the future holds for me. Tupac Shakur once said, “Never forget, that God isn't finished with me yet.” I believe this is true because I learn something new every day. I want to grow to up and be able to make my own rules but I don’t want to live too fast. I’m not scared of the future. No one can hold me back. I am ready for whatever comes at me. I wouldn’t change anything that has happened in my life. I would relive the good times and bad times. The good times made me happy and the bad times taught me life lessons. The people in my life made it worth it. The struggles I overcame made me stronger. The good things that happened made me smile, and that is one of the best things you can do. Smiles are contagious, and the world would be such a better place if everyone could just do that. I remember the past but look towards the future. I do not stress anything that happened the past, I live on. I respect my past because it builds my future. My life is great and I love living it!

marcus m said...

I without a doubt most identify with the quote by Buddha. It seems as if he means that if we were to take the time out of our lives and appreciate the small things that we take for granted then we would see everything different. If we could understand the miracle of a plant growing from the ground then maybe we could pay more attention to lives little details. I have always wanted something to change my life in a positive way, so I try to pay attention to the smaller things in my life. It is hard to imagine that something like a flower growing can change our lives, but in a way it makes a lot of sense. Watching the flower and realizing how much of a miracle it is helps me to realize how special all people are. I can only hope that one day I can truly see the flower. All I can currently do is see the physical features of the plant, it is hard for me to see what is really special about the flower. I would love to understand the miracle that comes with seeing a flower clearly. When I am truly capable of appreciating the small things in life I know that it will change the way that I see everything that I do and say. All people are the same but me have different points of views. Some might have already cleared their eyes and do not take a single breath for granted, but there are many others that do not posses such clarity and do not live every day to the fullest. The people that have seen the flower clearly have had their entire lives changed forever. As for the others who have not seen the flower yet can only hope that one day there life can be changed in such a way.

genny wright :) said...

There are so many people in this world who think things will never get better for them. They live in the dark and never say positive things to bring themselves up. I always try to shed light on a dark situation. I do this because I know that anything and anyone can change or get better.
Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired.--- Erik Erikson
Without hope, a person will just sink deeper in their problems. There has to be some realization that a person has the power to change any thing or fix anything. If not, the person will never actually put their feelings and thoughts into actions. Ecspecially if they are not hopeful at the very least. Hope can carry a person through the toughest of times.